Report: NFL made “revised offers” this morning

DeMaurice Smith, Scott Fujita

As we enter the final half hour before the promised 2:00 p.m. ET update from NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith, there’s a possible reason why there have been no updates.

Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal reports that, Friday morning, the league made “revised offers on core issues.”

The mediation session has continued for more than 3.5 hours.  The longer it goes, the better the chance of another extension.

And we would definitely dig that.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
49 Responses to “Report: NFL made “revised offers” this morning”
  1. packerrube13 says: Mar 11, 2011 1:38 PM

To me, at first glance, I wanted to side with the players in all of this.

But throughout the process, it seems to me like the owners have done all of the negotiating and the players have sat there with their arms crossed in front of their chest. The owners seem very willing to move forward, while the players seem to want everything, while making the owners look like the bad guys when it doesn’t happen.

2. phinheads says: Mar 11, 2011 1:38 PM

tick tock tick tock greedy pigs tick tock

3. wtfru2 says: Mar 11, 2011 1:39 PM

Nah… I know its fun for you to report all of this stuff but as a fan I want it over. I have until the 31st to decide on season tickets so the faster this is done the better..

4. paulnoga says: Mar 11, 2011 1:39 PM

Wrong !!!!
    Another extension is a waste of time. They have had years to agree and seem farther apart than ever. nothing will be decided outside of the court system. Neither side is going to give in. the sooner this goes to court, the sooner there will be football again.
    If they keep extending this, there will be no time later for the courts to get the season started.

5. ravenspit says: Mar 11, 2011 1:40 PM

Why is it always the league making the compromising offers? Union blows

6. hendawg21 says: Mar 11, 2011 1:40 PM

Well the longer it drags on the more I feel the greedy are getting greedier and in the end the fans will be the ones who suffer and pay the ultimate price with higher ticket prices and concessions….

7. johnjosephyossarian says: Mar 11, 2011 1:44 PM

Hope they were real revisions and not phony one they could tell the media they made.

Hard to trust the news given the PR battle going on.

8. tjp2033 says: Mar 11, 2011 1:44 PM

Im tired of extensions. Get a deal done.

9. purpleman527 says: Mar 11, 2011 1:45 PM

Where’s Kessler ?

Surely his presence, non-presence or whereabouts must have a positive impact on getting the extension done. Plus, we haven’t seen his picture posted yet today !

10. dolphan343 says: Mar 11, 2011 1:48 PM

Why are we trying to slurp up an extension?

11. wryly1 says: Mar 11, 2011 1:50 PM

I truly am an optimist, but do not trust this announcement. It smells like a CYA move on the owners part, so they can go in front of the cameras and pretend they made and equitable offer. Sounds like it’s little more than a PR ploy. If they truly wanted to settle, they’d do so at the table behind closed doors, not with public announcements. Duuuh!

12. kom2k10 says: Mar 11, 2011 1:51 PM

I am so tired of hearing the players complain about ANYTHING!

They are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to play a game for only 5 MONTHS worth of work!!!! I’m a huge football fan, but I’m of the mindset that the owners should lock out the players for at least a year and see how much money they will earn out in the real wolrd. Let them go from making $2 million dollars/ year, then struggle to find a job that will pay them $80,000 year for 12 months of 8-5 work. I guarantee you that 99% of the players would RUN back and play football for only 25% of what they were making before the lockout!!!

13. toe4 says: Mar 11, 2011 1:51 PM

When the League let it slip that Goodell had the ability to move drastically that tells me that no extension is wanted by the league.

Why announce that your last numbers are not your last numbers unless you expect that today is D-Day?

14. doncornelious says: Mar 11, 2011 1:52 PM

Git-R-Dun !

15. ashburninsider says: Mar 11, 2011 1:55 PM

I wish the public could see what the offers were. It would go a long way to see if it’s the NFLPA that is holding out for more money or if it’s the owners who have actually not given much ground.
    From what I have read the NFLPA really just wants to keep the deal they have in place but add healthcare and retirment. The owners were quick to agree to all of that along with the players agreeing to a Rookie wage scale. So when it comes down to it they are fighting over the money. The NFLPA should have just settled and been happy with the health care and retirment benefits. Most of the players make more than enough to set them up for life if they manage there money well. Im growing tired of the NFLPA.

16. johnjosephyossarian says: Mar 11, 2011 1:57 PM

The owner’s PR is strong.

17. calmdownsir says: Mar 11, 2011 2:02 PM

Pigs…wish I didn’t care.

18. endzonezombie says: Mar 11, 2011 2:02 PM

Please…no more extensions. It’s either a deal or litigation. Many fans are ready to turn the page and get on with baseball now and college football later. 350 lb. linemen are not to be confused withthe ‘ Boys of Summer.’

19. daback9 says: Mar 11, 2011 2:03 PM

When are those on the sidelines in this issue going to realize that they don’t matter. This is a battle between Goliath and Goliath and what the sap of a fan thinks don’t even enter into the equation. Both sides know whatever deal they agree on they can rely on the sucker fans to foot the bill.

20. wryly1 says: Mar 11, 2011 2:04 PM

hey …ravenspit

Hard to tell if you are shilling for the owners, getting sucked in by the owners PR game, or are just naive or uninformed about what the facts are.

Players aren’t asking for ANYTHING. The owners want a BILLION dollars. Just because the owners come out and say they made an offer – means LESS than diddly-squat. If they really wanted a fair settlement, they’d negotiate it at the table, not with unilateral announcements in front of media cameras and microphones. Hellooo!

21. bleedingreen says: Mar 11, 2011 2:05 PM

Whatever happened to playing for the love of the game? Continual greed by the players. It will only get worse in the future.

22. 3octaveFart says: Mar 11, 2011 2:07 PM

No more extensions!!
    These guys have already had years to work this out. Enough already.
    Either settle this thing today or head to the courts.

/in the event it’s the latter, say goodbye to a sizable portion of your fan base – where do you guys think that $9 billion comes from anyway??

23. jpk6044 says: Mar 11, 2011 2:08 PM

The owners are the only side negotiating. Why? The players don’t have to. They are well aware how popular the league is and how much money the owners are making. And they also have Judge Doty in their hip pocket as he has never ruled against the union. The owners aren’t showing their books because the business is model is putting billions in their collective pocket book. Both sides would be stupid to fix what isn’t broken.

24. rooneyruleblues says: Mar 11, 2011 2:09 PM

If the players get to run the nut house then then NFL will become the NBA. I hope the owners lock there asses out hard so they will understand how blessed they are to play.

25. crashdog says: Mar 11, 2011 2:11 PM

packerrube13 says:
    Mar 11, 2011 1:38 PM
    To me, at first glance, I wanted to side with the players in all of this.

Didn’t the owners start this off with a $1 billion shot across the bow? How much further would you like the players to negotiate back?

phinheads says:
    Mar 11, 2011 1:38 PM
    tick tock tick tock greedy pigs tick tock

I love how we call people greedy for just trying to negotiate the best deal for them. Is there a certain $ amount you make before you are no longer allowed to negotiate the best deal for yourself? Is there some point at which you should STOP caring about how much money you make because it is enough? The funniest thing about all this and the comments I read on here about the negotiations are that, given the chance, 99% of the people commenting about how greedy everyone is would be doing the same thing if you were an owner or a player. I truly don’t care how much the players get, the owners get, or when a deal is done. I don’t care if they play 16 or 18 games a year. I don’t care if there are mini camps, OTAs, or any of that other stuff. I will care about it in mid-September if a deal still isn’t done. And I suspect if most of you had a little less time on your hands, you wouldn’t care either

26. vetdana says: Mar 11, 2011 2:11 PM

NOT ME !!!

27. packattack1967 says: Mar 11, 2011 2:14 PM

This worm deMaruies or whatever isnt going to give in until, in his mind he brings the owners to their knees. This is clearly a stepping stone for this guy, he could give a rats rearend about you, me or the players. He is looking ahead to his next gig.

28. bearsfan63 says: Mar 11, 2011 2:14 PM

It’s funny how the NFL is the only one offering any compromises. The Union has only agreed to a rookie draft cap which isn’t a concession it’s just a shift in allocation to who receives the money. I’ve never seen a union start negotiations with what they already have, that speaks volumes as too how big they made out on the last CBA. They couldn’t even possibly look someone in the face and ask for more. From the posts I’m reading lately the publics sympathies have finally switched from the players to the owners. Many people are waking up and saying to themselves give me a break already. But the Union leadership seems more interested in making names for themselves than being good stewards of the game and I really doubt theres any concern to fan opinions unless they can use that as leverage against the NFL. Also if the players truly want to be 50/50 partners in all of the NFL’s profits then all player endorsements should be on the table for a revenue split also, Otherwise it sounds like whats mine is mine and whats yours is mine.

29. packerrube13 says: Mar 11, 2011 2:16 PM

@Kom2k10,

$80,000 a year, you really think most of them would find that? I mean, most of these guys didn’t graduate and have no other skills outside of playing football.

If you know anywhere hiring for $80,000 a year currently without needing a college degree, please contact me! I am currently a student, but I am taking a year off to save up to finish my undergrad and graduate degree all in one shot. I make slightly more than half of that, which is good for these economic times. And I am smarter and more skilled than 95+% of these NFL players.

I would be surprised if the average NFL player finds a job for $40,000. Literally.

30. mataug says: Mar 11, 2011 2:17 PM

it is remarkable how the tide seems to have shifted after Doty’s ruling… till last week the general emotion was that league was well prepared for a lockout but now the players seems to be the one willing for litigation lol

31. oldhamletman says: Mar 11, 2011 2:19 PM

dig an extension?
    thats absurd…

if there’s another extension so that both, arrogant, money grubbing, selfish, me me me parties can argue more about the $9 Billion dollars they take from us …. well… now that I think about it.. how can we expect different from these jerks?

Thumb up if you are sick of both the Players and Owners greed and want to make them pay for it someway….

32. goombar2 says: Mar 11, 2011 2:21 PM

Just hilarious being a Packer fan. Our books have been open since the beginning. All the idiot fans crying for billionaire owners. Talk about chumpinskis. Then these idiot fans talking smack about how much football players make… Well, I got something for you – You can make that money too you lazy fat slobs, put some gear on and show up. If you’re good they’ll pay you.

But somehow I think the trailer park billionaires just ain’t got the stuff.

I, for one, am sick of hearing about the owners that have never done an honest day of work in their lives and inherited their wealth from daddy whine about not getting enough of the pot. If they want more, strap a helmet on and let a player hit you for awhile.

Then you’d see these prep school silver spoon jerk-o’s really have something to whine about!

33. timmit69 says: Mar 11, 2011 2:24 PM

just get the deal done

34. shelovesfootball says: Mar 11, 2011 2:24 PM

Paging Gov. Scott Walker…Get ‘er done!

35. josefromvictorville says: Mar 11, 2011 2:30 PM

NFLPA has all the leverage since the Judge Doty decision. Decertification at 2pm EST today unless the owners bridge the $750 million.

36. 3octaveFart says: Mar 11, 2011 2:33 PM

mataug says: Mar 11, 2011 2:17 PM

“it is remarkable how the tide seems to have shifted after Doty’s ruling…”

It’s amazing how a level playing changes things huh?

37. hateradeonrocks says: Mar 11, 2011 2:33 PM

no way i believe this. sounds like a PR ploy for when there is no deal they can say, “Well we had an offer….”

38. footballking5 says: Mar 11, 2011 2:40 PM

I blame the owners on this. The players are not demanding anything, they want things to stay the same. Thats why its a lockout and not a strike. The owners are locking the players out unless they give back 1 billion dollars and they refuse to show why by not opening their books. Either open the books to prove you are losing money or get the fricken deal done

39. broncsfan says: Mar 11, 2011 2:40 PM

bearsfan63 says: Mar 11, 2011 2:14 PM

***

The union started off with a 50/50 split, down from 60/40, and the owners walked out on them. And you’re right that it’s pretty unusual for a union to begin negotiations with such modest ambitions for itself – a point in direct contradiction with your assertion that the union has offered no compromises.

40. huricaneditka says: Mar 11, 2011 2:42 PM

Put the owners in one corner and the players in another and whoever Jen Sterger runs to will get the deal. A second option would be to have Ray Lewis and Jerry Jones box. This negotiating crap can me much simpler than everyone is making it.

41. flapjack1231 says: Mar 11, 2011 2:49 PM

Does anyone else smell Wisconsin Cheddar? Isn’t it ironic that nothing provided to the union is good enough? The owners are the ones trying to get something done while the union sits & balks at everything? Gotta love unions!

At least in this situation, they are at the table. The weasel pro union dumbocrats wouldn’t even show up to vote. Elections have consequences. The result was, nothing you want passed would pass.

In Wisconsin, NJ….everywhere. I for one hope the owners don’t budge too much. I’m ok with a lockout. Unions EVERYWHERE need to be sent a message, just like in WI.

42. hendawg21 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:13 PM

You know to show how much the fans factor into this equation I think if a deal does get done fans have their own lockout and threaten to not show up to games and or threaten not to renew season tickets…

43. moochzilla says: Mar 11, 2011 3:21 PM

Flapjack,

Describe the offer that the players got from the league this morning.

You can’t. You don’t know what it is.

But the assumption is that it was good enough and the NFLPA should’ve taken it.

Go get someone a cup of coffee.

44. flapjack1231 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:25 PM

Why would fans stage a lockout if no games are missed? Are people such miserable homers that they have nothing else to fall back on all summer except NFL training camps?

If games aren’t lost, what’s the problem exactly? The inconvenience of having to surf the internet for the latest rumors or gossip?

45. moochzilla says: Mar 11, 2011 3:42 PM

Why are people so afraid of this going to court?

If you really believe your side is in the right, you should have no problem with it.

It just, theoretically, puts you that much closer to victory. After all, both sides will be able to afford an All-Star team of lawyers, so neither will have that advantage (which is pretty much all that matters).

Oh, I forgot, none of us know any of the facts so we can’t be sure of the outcome.

46. flapjack1231 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:44 PM

“Describe the offer that the players got from the league this morning. You can’t. You don’t know what it is. But the assumption is that it was good enough and the NFLPA should’ve taken it”

Let’s start by talking about things I said, not didn’t say. I didn’t mention offers in the post you replied to.

Unions wanted to see numbers. They got em & laughed. They opened books with 5 years worth of numbers. They walked & laughed. How do you like dem apples? A little bitter, yes?

“Oh, and I am from NJ and a Christie supporter. He’s done nothing close to what was done in Wisconsin. There’s another thing you don’t know about.”

Yea, you’re right. He hasn’t taken the Teachers union head on. Christie & many governors are on a collision course with unions to fix the debt crises they have had their hands in causing.

Sheesh! Talk about knowing nothing!

47. flapjack1231 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:47 PM

“Wow, I’d LOVE to negotiate with you. Maybe this is why you’ll never be in a position to influence a business.”

FYI…you shouldn’t ASSume since I AM a small business owner. Wrong about something else. Seems like a trend with you. Now, speaking of coffee, go fetch me a D&D…..light n sweet.

48. moochzilla says: Mar 11, 2011 4:07 PM

I am a business owner too.

And I would never, ever revise a profit-sharing agreement based on anecdotal talk of the other party taking on losses that can’t be verified.

You, apparently, would. That makes you a crappy business owner. Which is why you’ll be working on your resume in a few weeks.

You need to educate yourself on what the owners provided numbers-wise, and why it wasn’t sufficient.

You also made a mistake of working Christie into your Wisconsin jerkoff fantasy. Sorry, it ain’t so. Easy mistake when you ignore facts. Nice attempt to backtrack, though.

Answer me this – why are you so afraid of this going to court? I mean, if the owners have their ducks in a row as you claim…it should be a layup.

Right?

49. moochzilla says: Mar 11, 2011 4:20 PM

Go to court, and if it comes out that the NFLPA gets hammered because they don’t have the facts in their favor…cool.

If the NFL owners gets hammered because their budget crisis really isn’t the issue (like it wasn’t in Wisconsin)…cool.

I will roll the dice on that. Why are people so scared?