Silver: Most recent offer split the difference, union headed to court

Pat Bowlen, Joe Ellis, Greg Aiello

We were initially skeptical NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith’s plan to decertify because progress is clearly being made on a possible labor agreement Friday.

Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports reports that the latest ownership proposal “split the difference” between the two sides.  That’s a lot of progress and the union has yet to counter.

If the player’s chose to decertify without a counterproposal on a day with significant movement, it would support the belief that the players believe they can get the best deal in court.

The same source that told Silver the latest proposal “split the difference” says he union made no counter, and they are headed to court.

Gulp.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
69 Responses to “Silver: Most recent offer split the difference, union headed to court”
  1. ashburninsider says: Mar 11, 2011 3:35 PM

Demaurice Smith will go down in history as the man who ruined football!

2. johnabis says: Mar 11, 2011 3:35 PM

If this report is true then I think most of us are now on the owners side. DeMaurice Smith is Worthless

3. flapjack1231 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:37 PM

Of course they didn’t counter. They have shown no interest since very early on that they aren’t there to negotiate a deal thats best for everyone. All the union cares about is themselves & sending everyone’s union due to Obama and his minions.

The owners & the NFL have opened books, made offers & counter offers. What has the union done? Played a game while trying to protray themselves as a victim.

LOCK THEM OUT!

4. pilprin says: Mar 11, 2011 3:37 PM

They should extend again…the Owners have come a long ways…decertification is not the way to go.

5. mataug says: Mar 11, 2011 3:38 PM

Well… that was quick. I thought they might agree for another extension.

It will be interesting to see what the players are able to get via the courts. In layman’s terms, how does a court decide what an employer must pay an employee lol

6. dawgfan540 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:38 PM

Looks like I’m saving 2 grand this year. I’m ok with that.

7. footballfan292 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:38 PM

Its perfectly obvious that this is going to court. The union does not want to agree to ANY deal unless they get to the see the books. And they feel they can do that with an anti-trust suit.

8. bigfranky75 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:39 PM

if the players opt for court, they are FOOLS. and they will lose the fans… bigtime.

9. eaglesfan24 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:39 PM

This is what the Union wanted all along. It’s a sad day in the NFL.

10. fwaokda says: Mar 11, 2011 3:40 PM

If true then shame on the players and I’m now on the side of owners. I’m a Saints fan and Breesus can tweet all he wants but if the league offered this and the players didn’t even offer a counter proposal then perhaps they planned to decertify all along.

11. samiratou says: Mar 11, 2011 3:40 PM

If it’s true, my sympathy for the players has completely evaporated. I was on their side before, but not so much now. You don’t get that close then push the red button.

And now I hope it blows up in their faces.

12. johnjosephyossarian says: Mar 11, 2011 3:40 PM

So what you’re saying is the owner’s leaked information. How interesting it makes them look better.

13. realdeal12 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:40 PM

If this is true than the Union has done a great disservice to the loyal fans of the NFL. This is proof positive that they had no intention of bargaining because all they have done is make demands. I am disgusted with they way they treated this supposed mediation. I hope the fans show through lack of financial support that WE made the NFL the success that it is (was).

14. highfivefootballfan says: Mar 11, 2011 3:41 PM

it’s sad that i’m actually siding with the owners here.
    players: not having a season will hurt you WAY more than whatever is going into the new CBA will.

15. gridassassin says: Mar 11, 2011 3:43 PM

Demaurice Smith = Modern Day Napoleon

16. bbb82 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:44 PM

Smith and Goodell fail.

17. raythestabber says: Mar 11, 2011 3:46 PM

SCREW THE GREED OF THE PLAYERS!!!

Especially this day in age

18. schemefactory says: Mar 11, 2011 3:46 PM

dear fans. welcome to dumpsville. population: you. -the nfl.

19. schemefactory says: Mar 11, 2011 3:46 PM

or the other way around?

20. connorchew says: Mar 11, 2011 3:46 PM

wonderful..

21. effthenfl says: Mar 11, 2011 3:47 PM

This sucks!

22. moochzilla says: Mar 11, 2011 3:48 PM

Maybe this is fair, but how would one know?

Maybe the owners asked for a $1B knowing that they really wanted $500M. Like most of us do when we make an offer on a house, lowball or highball knowing you’ll come back to the middle you wanted after some back and forth.

How do any of us have any basis, as we don’t know what the franchise’s turned as a profit?

The NBA owners have me on their side, because I know they are getting crushed on every front and the labor deal kills the game. That’s clear. Not so much in the NFL.

23. 2011to2020lions says: Mar 11, 2011 3:48 PM

OH FRICKIN GREAT, SORRY ARSE PLAYERS!!!

Well I always liked Hockey, and Baseball, so bye bye football, you may have just lost a fan

24. dryzzt23 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:48 PM

Bust the union!

maybe Scott Walker should take over as NFL Commish

25. 90ragtop says: Mar 11, 2011 3:49 PM

If what you say about the NFLPA’s refusal to negotiate in good faith is true, then I hope the players get their lunch handed to them.

26. Marv says: Mar 11, 2011 3:50 PM

I’m officially on the owners side now!

27. meatball13 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:50 PM

Idiots !!!

28. 3octaveFart says: Mar 11, 2011 3:52 PM

If the players take this to court, they’re going to lose whatever little remaining public support they had.

29. brownsfn says: Mar 11, 2011 3:53 PM

I hope they get a 10 times worse deal…the owners want a deal and the players dont …bottom line….

30. footballisking says: Mar 11, 2011 3:54 PM

ofcourse they will get a better deal in court the books will be opened and we will find out that owners and the league are paying friends and relatives millions of dollars to be “consultants”….and the league will be exposed as a fraud for claiming that they are broke and need more money from the players they will tko the owners in court…signing another extension would be pointless becasue during these extensions the players can be signed to another team or get their roster bonuses so to them they are being locked out..by signing these extensions the owners were making it to where they werent being affected at all..but by decertifying it brings in the legal system which will end all of this and we will have football

31. geobh says: Mar 11, 2011 3:54 PM

32. assnfootball says: Mar 11, 2011 3:55 PM

I still support the players.

33. zn0rseman says: Mar 11, 2011 3:56 PM

I find the union’s position to be idiotic. The union is saying that without the players, there would be no game… but that’s not true. The players are being paid millions toplay a game that most men would play for free. Yet the NFLPA wants “a fair share” of the profits made in a game that most men would play for free. I think they are forgetting that without the fans… there is also no game, and without the fans there are no longer billions to be haggled over. You don’t see fans bargaining for their “fair share” of the billions, and I’m pretty sure the fans are more important than the players… because the players can be replaced… the fans can’t.

34. bigho203 says: Mar 11, 2011 3:58 PM

D. Smith is a scumbag I’m starting to side with the owners if this is true!

35. moochzilla says: Mar 11, 2011 3:58 PM

NFL owners made a fair offer.

Iraq has WMD’s.

How do we know. Well…someone said so.

36. ubummer says: Mar 11, 2011 3:59 PM

If DeMaurice leads the union to court, he’s a guy I’d follow all the way to hell, just so I could be there to push him in.

37. Kaz says: Mar 11, 2011 4:00 PM

Where is that Wisconsin Gov when you need him…

38. sc2115 says: Mar 11, 2011 4:01 PM

Yes, I’m sure that EXACTLY want the NFLPA wants. Not to protect the health and financial interests of its members.

Idiot.

39. thegreenviking says: Mar 11, 2011 4:01 PM

Players are losing tons of credibility. If this report is correct I hope they lose big time in court.

40. goodjet says: Mar 11, 2011 4:02 PM

Generally speaking I’m for unions —– But you know if that’s true then I will be 100% against this union and these players and DeMaurice Smith — If in fact this union really doesn’t want to do a deal it is just beyond pathetic — It’s just totally disgusting and sick and I hope they all go freaking bankrupt and they can all just go of into the woods or someplace and just rot for all I care —- To hell with them — To hell with it and to hell with the NFL —- Life can go on just fine without these butt wipes, that’s for sure

41. holeinone09 says: Mar 11, 2011 4:03 PM

Normally, splitting the difference is enough to get most deals done. Even if the players are still not getting enough, is it really worth it to not even make a counter? Possibly they will make one before the end of the day.

But if they don’t and just “head to court”, then they risk losing the public opinion support, as many posters here are already showing. Of course, maybe that doesn’t matter to the players, or the owners. We all know things will get resolved at some point no matter how it impacts the fans, since the players and owners make too much money to not get it done at some point. And, us being fans, at some point we won’t talk about this anymore and just watch football.

42. bleedsoe9mm says: Mar 11, 2011 4:03 PM

any support the players had with the fans is now gone !!!!!

43. borg30 says: Mar 11, 2011 4:04 PM

Lock the players out…

44. leucas66 says: Mar 11, 2011 4:05 PM

Personally, I’ve never understood what difference fan opinion should make. Both sides are trying to max out the money they make.

Maybe they’d care if fan approval made a big difference in their paychecks, but fans staying away (which they won’t anyway) won’t hurt the players as much as the owners.

45. thevikes85 says: Mar 11, 2011 4:08 PM

I’m so angry right now i could punch the guy next to me,and he’s a lot bigger than i am i will lose,hey just like the players challenging the owners.fantastic fun.jerks.

46. bearsbulls34 says: Mar 11, 2011 4:08 PM

I’ve been in the corner of the NFLPA from day one, but if the owners are really willing to make all these concessions, and truly did propose an offer that split the difference between the two sides, then at the very least De Smith and the PA need to agree to another extension of the CBA.

47. txchief says: Mar 11, 2011 4:09 PM

The NFLPA never had any intention of negotiating. Remember that the players already voted to authorize decertification before last season. From all the information so far leaked, the only thing the union agreed to was to allow the league to spend $300 million more for healthcare of former players!

48. moochzilla says: Mar 11, 2011 4:10 PM

“Where is that Wisconsin Gov when you need him…”

Gearing up for a recall election.

49. mrf47 says: Mar 11, 2011 4:10 PM

If there’s going to be a lockout, have it be a long one – BREAK THE UNION. Make the presently overpaid, and future unemployable, players squirm.

50. ashburninsider says: Mar 11, 2011 4:11 PM

I wonder how many players heard this and are frantically trying to get a hold of thier Union reps. I guarantee this is not what the majority of them want.

51. vetdana says: Mar 11, 2011 4:11 PM

The path through decerttification and then antitrust litigation is a very complex, expensive, arduous and has NO gurantees !! Lots of things can go very wrong in court with a jury of your peers. There is a good chance they could end up with a great deal LESS than they now have !!

52. moochzilla says: Mar 11, 2011 4:11 PM

“lock em out, bring in scabs. it will save me hundreds on football sun dat ticket.”

I will bet you $10,000 right now that your prices won’t go down one penny.

Are you crazy enough to think your ticket prices and Sunday ticket costs are related to player salaries? That they’d go down if the salaries came down?

53. moochzilla says: Mar 11, 2011 4:14 PM

“SCREW THE GREED OF THE PLAYERS!!!

Especially this day in age”

I’m sorry Ray, I forgot – we all need to make exactly what you make. How could I forget, we’re now living in communist Russia and everyone has to be paid an equal amount no matter what they do/produce.

Thanks for reminding me, comrade.

54. cutthajokes says: Mar 11, 2011 4:15 PM

NFLPA pulls back on decertification
    The union intended to tell the NFL that it planned to dissolve but has delayed,

Calm down people!

55. nicksabansanahole says: Mar 11, 2011 4:15 PM

If the NFL really wanted to have an agreement and they were bleeding money they would have no problem opening the books. Hmmmmm. I am quite sure if they opened the books and saw teams losing money hand over fist the players would not press them as hard. If you got nothing to hide then whats the problem. Blame the players all you want but the owners are lying thats why they won’t open the books.

56. hrmlss says: Mar 11, 2011 4:16 PM

Waited years for my Packer tickets. Finally got them last year. Used them 1 year for a great year at least. The renewal is not going in now. No desire to watch these greedy morons, and pay to do it. I think Sundays become family day and Pheasant hunting day.

57. zaggs says: Mar 11, 2011 4:16 PM

Unless the owners are lying ,and since this was a hour ago without challenge it doesnt look like it, then the players never wanted to negotiate in the first place. Something some of us have known for awhile.

58. dukeofthedawgpound says: Mar 11, 2011 4:17 PM

@ ubummer
    You can push them all in for all I care. Its not the players or the owners who pay for things. Its the fans no matter how you slice it. I am tired of 10,000 dollar PSL’s and rookies who get 50 million dollar contracts. Personally I would not waste my six dollar bottle of concession water to put out the flames.

59. paulnoga says: Mar 11, 2011 4:18 PM

DeMaurice smith doesn’t care about the fans, or the Players. He has used this mess to get himself in the News all the time. Can you imagine how much his law service will make now and how famous he now is?
    When does Demaurice’s book come out?

60. lakedog19352 says: Mar 11, 2011 4:21 PM

Looks like I will be watching soccer on Sundays next fall…..who’s with me?

61. jamaltimore says: Mar 11, 2011 4:28 PM

Pro sports Unions are a JOKE, as most of these guys would piss on the other 53 guys on the roster if it meant they could get an additional 1 million in signing bonus! Most modern day players don’t even know the history of the game nor care so spare me how they are looking out for the retirees.

Unfortunately I think ego’s have entered the picture like QB’s who believe they actually have 1 effing clue on how to run a 900million dollar operation and new attorney’s who never played a down thinking they can outsmart a room full of billionaires. Bring on the SCABS reduce ticket prices and wait for the guys to come crawling back

62. flapjack1231 says: Mar 11, 2011 4:29 PM

‘Best for everyone? They had a freakin deal! Any new deal would be worse for the players. Why should they agree to that? Would you agree to a pay cut for no reason?’

Idiot you say? Players voted to decertify LAST YEAR MID SEASON!

They never had an intention to negotiate, only litigate. Thanks for playing, better luck next time!

63. commandercornpone says: Mar 11, 2011 4:56 PM

correct, duh thinks he can get it all. the owners should just let them decert.

64. marthisdil says: Mar 11, 2011 5:03 PM

F unions…all of them.

Sheesh.

The owners should just close up shop, go to bankruptcy, and watch the players get nothing.

Greed is everywhere, but the players are showing more of it.

65. dchuwo says: Mar 11, 2011 5:48 PM

Hopefully, Mr. Smith’s players have saved their dimes. The owners have the cash to go the distance and don’t need the football money. Most of the players do. What until September when the paychecks do not start for the players, and you start hearing grumblings. If anyone thinks the owners are going to turn over all the books just because a lawsuit is filed, you are sadly mistaken.

66. dkeyser says: Mar 11, 2011 6:09 PM

I’m a union electrician and the players union makes me want to vomit. If we walked into our contractors office when our contract was up and told them to open their books, they would fire our asses on the spot.

67. moustachedone says: Mar 11, 2011 6:27 PM

If you’re in the market for a car and I offer you a Ford Focus for $70k and then reduce the price to $35k, I’ve really yielded nothing. The NFL ownership is calling this splitting the difference.

It’s a farce, but from the looks of these comments it seems to be a pretty effective one.

68. Canyonero says: Mar 11, 2011 7:16 PM

So now the NFLPA is a trade organization.

What the heck is that?

69. endzonezombie says: Mar 11, 2011 7:33 PM

“Demaurice Smith will go down in history as the man who ruined football!”

There is an executive committee that takes the final vote on NFLPA proposals. Smith has to sell any proposal to them first.