Roger Goodell, Jeff Pash follow through on vow to slash salary to $1

Bears Vikings Football

In January, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and chief negotiator Jeff Pash promised to cut their pay to an annual salary of $1 during a work stoppage. They’ve followed through.

The Associated Press reports that Goodell, who makes about $10 million a year, and Pash, who makes about $5 million, are both going down to $1 until the lockout is over.

But Goodell and Pash are far from the only ones: Everyone who works at the league office in New York, at NFL Films, at NFL Network and at NFL.com is getting a 12 percent pay cut. Those folks make a lot less than $5 million a year.

I’m not sure how exactly a $1 salary works: Will Goodell and Pash get paychecks for two cents each week while the lockout is going on? Furthermore, I’m not sure how relevant the $1 annual salary really is: The owners may give Goodell and Pash a nice fat bonus check if they’re able to resolve the labor situation in a way that is good for the owners’ bottom line.

So this sounds more like a PR move than a real sacrifice.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Roger Goodell, Jeff Pash follow through on vow to slash salary to $1”
  1. cappa662 says: Mar 12, 2011 6:46 PM

Too bad they won’t give back their 10 mill bonuses.

2. thevikes85 says: Mar 12, 2011 6:53 PM

He’s still a douche and i imagine he saved some of his money from previous years salaries so he won’t have to worry about money,are you paying attention NFL players????

3. raiderapologist says: Mar 12, 2011 6:58 PM

As soon as things get worked out-and they will-Roger and Jeff will get their money. If they were to donate that 15M it might mean something.

4. p4ck3r5 says: Mar 12, 2011 6:59 PM

Ill be more then happy to slash my pay to a buck if I make 10 mil annually

5. hobartbaker says: Mar 12, 2011 6:59 PM

Rajah takes a big haircut. DeMo mentioned something about doing the same, but when they got close to his garish little dome, they thought it would be unnecessary and cruel.

6. Deb says: Mar 12, 2011 7:03 PM

Goodell is still overpaid at $1. And of course, it’s a PR stunt. He and Pash will recoup their losses. But I’m sorry for those rank-and-file workers whose pay has been slashed.

7. dolphan343 says: Mar 12, 2011 7:04 PM

Guess they need the money for the expensive lawers they hired for the litigation.

8. cardz24 says: Mar 12, 2011 7:04 PM

If I made 10 million a year prior to this happening I would agree to a $1 salary for a few weeks or months too……what a joke and makes me more angry and I think both sides look horrible for not reaching an agreement

9. bobulated says: Mar 12, 2011 7:04 PM

*golf clap*
    What a joke, Mr. Goodell, pretty sure you’re not feeling any pain and fans will see this sham symbolic gesture for what it is; we’re all pretty sure some of that 10 million is still in your bank account.

10. hedleykow says: Mar 12, 2011 7:06 PM

Ten million bucks a year? And odds are that he won’t even be mentally impaired or crippled when his career is over with. Sweet.

11. assnfootball says: Mar 12, 2011 7:08 PM

Bull, I would’ve taken then seriously if they’d slashed their salary to $0.10. Common guys, win my sympathy, your making $0.90 too much.

12. similis says: Mar 12, 2011 7:08 PM

Yeah, it may be a PR move and he may get a bonus after the new CBA is in place, but in the meantime the part of his $10 million he gives up will be available to keep other employees from being laid off… right?

After the CBA is in place, the wine will flow and no one will care if Goodell gets a bonus.

13. benh999 says: Mar 12, 2011 7:10 PM

A $1 salary means he is still technically employed.

14. txchief says: Mar 12, 2011 7:10 PM

Is DeWhatever Smith taking his salary down to a buck? The PFT writers must really like the taste of the platers shoes they are licking. Must be yummy!

15. backindasaddle says: Mar 12, 2011 7:12 PM

Woopty-Doo!!!…these guys have been making 10/5 Million/Year for several years now. Somehow I think they’ll manage to put food in their kids mouths.

Nice gesture on their part. But really???….I’m certain it’s not going to be too painful for them.

16. diehardskinsfan21 says: Mar 12, 2011 7:18 PM

Man, i really feel for someone who made 10 million last year. How will he ever pay his bills?

17. steelergold says: Mar 12, 2011 7:23 PM

Dear Roger,

I am not buying your BS anymore.

18. Canyonero says: Mar 12, 2011 7:30 PM

Thanks, behh999, for pointing out Goodell has to accept SOME compensation for his work as commish. If he didn’t, the NFLPA* would probably challenge him in court as a volunteer without authority to bargain. Good point!

19. t1mmy10 says: Mar 12, 2011 7:38 PM

Considering I don’t see smith dropping his salary to .67 like he promised more bonus pts for the the league…

20. bison4me says: Mar 12, 2011 7:49 PM

Their salaries have nothing to do with what’s at stake. Neither side was arguing over the salary of Goodell and Pash.

What’s really messed up is that folks who make salaries close to what you and I make are getting their income slashed by 12%. All because millionaires on both sides can’t manage their greed long enough to sit down and figure out how to dish billions of dollars. Instead getting one dollar for a salary, those folks getting a reduction in pay, should be allowed slap both Goodell and Pash in the face in lobby of NFL headquarters, as they get on the elevator to get to their offices next week.

I love football don’t get me wrong. I believe it’s the best professional sport out there. However, the past couple of weeks have made me hate a lot of things about the sport I love.

21. tfbuckfutter says: Mar 12, 2011 8:14 PM

That’s reasonable actually…..

For once, I truly feel her is earning his paycheck.

22. t1mmy10 says: Mar 12, 2011 8:22 PM

“…should be allowed slap both Goodell and Pash in the face in lobby of NFL headquarters…”

interesting that you don’t add kessler and smith to that list as they’re equally (and probably more) responsible

23. slickster35 says: Mar 12, 2011 8:35 PM

Goodell is the worst thing to happen to this league since Al Davis.

Over two decades of labor peace down the drain at the hands of an incompetant who’s trying to change the basic fundamentals of the game, and extend the seasons to dangerous levels of exposure.

Worst commish in sports.

24. jramsey25 says: Mar 12, 2011 9:05 PM

This is nonsense they are never going to struggle for money and pretending to too curry favour is patronising. The league imo has been waiting for this as much as the union, good luck sorting out the $9.3bn, these players (granted are being paid to play a GAME) are pawns not all them are drew brees and are def not making his money yet prepared to do what they have to do. I for one wish them well and hope they are able to take care of themselves and each other while these times continue. Oh and on another note am sure we arent gonna hear about an owner being impoverished over this period so any comments about owners owing players nothing be realistic

25. stairwayto7 says: Mar 12, 2011 9:09 PM

SO Dieon, Sapp,Irvin,Eisen, Dukes and Tentb Edwards take a 12% cut? I want to hear them cry about this!

26. raiderapologist says: Mar 12, 2011 9:25 PM

slickster35 says: Mar 12, 2011 8:35 PM

Goodell is the worst thing to happen to this league since Al Davis.
    ———–

You are a moron.

27. paul82461 says: Mar 12, 2011 9:26 PM

If you think Al Davis is the problem you dont know football.

28. pulipeople says: Mar 12, 2011 9:55 PM

Give me $10,000,000 a year and I’ll give it up for $1.00 for a year or two.

29. thefiesty1 says: Mar 12, 2011 10:12 PM

Your right Deb. He’s grossly overpaid at $1.00/year.
    Now if we could get the oil companies CEO’s to do the same, we wouldn’t have to pay $4.00 a gallon for gas.

30. clint7lipke says: Mar 12, 2011 10:47 PM

How did Goodell stumble into this job?? As far as I can tell he has been HORRIBLE for the game of Football! (and this has NOTHING to do with the current mess). How could there not have been a better candidate when Tagliabu left??

31. str82dvd says: Mar 12, 2011 11:48 PM

You people are so envious of success…its funny. Hope the owners stick it these spoiled manboys. Go drive a truck for 10 years to make 1 yrs worth of football at min wage.

Owners, make this right! I can wait until then. I got work to do anyway, so I can get ahead like the owners once did (or their fathers before them).

32. str82dvd says: Mar 12, 2011 11:53 PM

Btw Goodell has been great for football. Strict rules to keep manboys in check, maintaining a great comp balance (read: more offense), solid growth, etc.

Pls no 18-g sked, tho.

33. goforthanddie says: Mar 13, 2011 7:51 AM

Did they also turn over their corporate credit cards? Are they swearing off corporate jets and such? Are they truly living their lives out of their own savings? Fsck no.

34. lockoutthenfl says: Mar 13, 2011 8:04 AM

So many of these useless tactics. Who cares if he’s only making 1.00 this year. He’s already pocketed a boatload of dough. I’ve had enough! If you’re as tired of this baloney as I am, add your name to the petition at <a href="http://www.lockoutthenfl.com/"Lock Out The NFL. Let’s start screaming at them together

35. dirtdawg55 says: Mar 13, 2011 9:39 AM

People are missing the point. Without revenues how does the NFL employ it’s staff. The salary reductions put 15 million back in the salary pool so that others, the rank and file at the NFL, can be paid. Yes, they have to take a 12 percent haircut but they still have jobs.

That 15 million is a lot of jobs. Probably 75 to 100 or so all in, accounting for benefits and overhead. You can scoff all you want at how much money they make (or made) but Pash and Goodell are showing leadership.

It’s a good move on their part. How many big name players will put their endorsement money back on the table to help out their “brothers”. I say none.

36. football2011 says: Mar 13, 2011 9:43 AM

They are over paid ay $1 per year.

37. burntorangehorn says: Mar 13, 2011 10:33 AM

dirtdawn nails it.

As for the constant criticism of Goodell, I’m really puzzled about why people blame him. Tags presided over the CBA labor deal that was later voided, and he recently said it was actually designed not to last (be voided). If you want to blame a commissioner, blame Tags, not Goodell.

38. Deb says: Mar 13, 2011 12:54 PM

@burntorangehorn …

I have no problem with the CBA that was voided, so why would I have a problem with the guy who presided over putting it together? As for why I have a problem with Goodell, for starters:

He talks about following the rules but rewrites them to suit himself. He talks about personal conduct but only enforces it when the media is watching. He talks about safety while pushing unsafe policies. He talks about what fans want but promotes changes fans don’t want. He talks about the integrity of the shield but has done nothing to improve officiating and ensure fair outcomes.

He’s proved himself to be an unethical man who’s more interested in doing what’s politically prudent than what’s right.

39. Deb says: Mar 13, 2011 1:07 PM

@str8t2dvd …

Envious? Of the owners? :roll: You’ve got to be kidding. All I’ve seen on these threads is a lot of couch potatoes envious of high-paid athletes.

I’m a fourth-generation small-business owner. It was my dream from childhood to be self-employed like my parents and grandparents. I have no desire to be a corporate bigwig or to do the bidding of others. All that matters to me is my freedom. The owners have nothing I could ever want other than a seat in a skybox and a pass to roam the sidelines. And I can live without those. Believe it or not, some of us actually take positions on principle.

I have no problem with people working their way to the top and making whatever they can make. But historically, team owners have undercut and abused the players that made them rich in order to put more money in their own pockets. They wouldn’t have teams without players. When they decide they want to cut into the players’ earnings, I think they should have to demonstrate why.