Tom Zbikowski wins easily, improves to 2-0 as pro boxer

tomZbikowski

Ravens safety Tom Zbikowski has had two professional boxing matches. He hasn’t yet been tested.

Zbikowski needed only a minute and 45 seconds to knock out a little-known opponent named Richard Bryant on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, improving his pro boxing record to 2-0.

“I was looking to get a little more work but you take a win any way you can get it,” Zbikowski said. “I know I hurt him with the hook, you could feel the air come out.”

Bryant, whose record is 1-3, was a hand-picked opponent in a fight that was designed for Zbikowski to earn a victory. But give Zbikowski credit for doing what he was supposed to do and quickly dispatching of Bryant. (And give Bryant credit for lasting a full minute longer than Zbikowski says Chad Ochocinco would last in the ring with him.)

Zbikowski, a restricted free agent who is not currently under contract, has indicated that he’d like to box a few more times this offseason, especially if the NFL lockout gives him plenty of free time. Having made $50,000 on Saturday night, Zbikowski has, if nothing else, found a lucrative second job. But Zbikowski indicated afterward that he’s not viewing boxing that way.

“Right now this isn’t a second career for me,” he said. “It’s a first career.”

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Tom Zbikowski wins easily, improves to 2-0 as pro boxer”
  1. thetobygrizwold says: Mar 12, 2011 11:08 PM

#winning

2. iknowfootballandyoudont says: Mar 12, 2011 11:10 PM

Get Don King to pit Zbikowski against DeMaurice Smith, or Tom Brady

3. chc36 says: Mar 12, 2011 11:11 PM

That was a fun fight, albeit short. When he got knocked down and got back up and the ref asked if he wanted to keep going the look on Bryant’s face was great. Anyway, can’t wait to see more of him in the ring, hopefully Ocho will get in with him, I’d pay serious money to see that in person.

4. duanethomas says: Mar 12, 2011 11:11 PM

He fought a tomato can, Betty White would be 2-0 against those stiffs. Back-up safety and you act like this guy is the next John L Sullivan.

5. madamschefter says: Mar 12, 2011 11:13 PM

Ochocinco will kill him. /sarcasm

6. shieldsisland37 says: Mar 12, 2011 11:16 PM

With as much respect as possible, no one cares. What is next, BJ Raji breaks world record for powdered donuts in a minute?

7. stairwayto7 says: Mar 12, 2011 11:23 PM

Tom Zbikowski vs. Ochostinko for a 1 game paycheck! Oh wait…………..

8. flyers28 says: Mar 12, 2011 11:38 PM

Lol 2-0 against hand picked guys that can’t fight. Set up a fight with a real boxer. Before you make a big deal about him. Although I would love to see him fight 85

9. thenewenglandpatriots12 says: Mar 12, 2011 11:39 PM

I don’t care. This guy current job is boxer, which means he has nothing to do with pro football talk. Next story please.

10. steeltownpride says: Mar 12, 2011 11:47 PM

WOW Tommy Boy beat up a 35 yo bum . Thats like a Offensive lineman beating up Urkel for his lunch money in high school .

11. oldhamletman says: Mar 12, 2011 11:47 PM

Ochocinco is in for the beating of his life if he takes this guy on…. what happened with the challenge… nothing back from Chad I bet…

thumbs up for a Z over Cinco win

12. panchosmith says: Mar 13, 2011 12:09 AM

So much for players being concerned about concussions.

13. schmitty2 says: Mar 13, 2011 12:37 AM

Normally I wouldn’t give a crap about this but it beats all the lockout BS so good job Tom!

14. thetobygrizwold says: Mar 13, 2011 12:44 AM

RT @thetobygrizwold #winning

15. buckybadger says: Mar 13, 2011 12:58 AM

Fight was a total joke. Shouldn’t have been the part of the TV portion. His opponent was worse than I would have been and I haven’t had my hands wrapped in 6 years.

16. fumblenuts says: Mar 13, 2011 1:07 AM

Zbikowski would knock Stinko into next week.

17. godsownfool says: Mar 13, 2011 1:12 AM

“Bryant, whose record is 1-3, was a hand-picked opponent in a fight that was designed for Zbikowski to earn a victory.” YES,

18. godsownfool says: Mar 13, 2011 1:24 AM

Yes,of course.
    THOUGH I haven’t fought in almost 20years AND MY RECORD WAS 4-2-1, if given one month AND $7G(currently unemployed),I’D OUTBOX THIS GUY.

PETER The Pugilistic Preacher LUDWINSKI

19. wtfchiefs says: Mar 13, 2011 3:11 AM

Sooo wanna see eight five use his mouf to coward his way out of this one. On the bright side, if he steps in the ring with this Zib, he can have a new reality show that’s a step by step showing of how they put his jaw back on his face.

20. sdboltaction says: Mar 13, 2011 3:47 AM

Oh that’s cool… fight an easy opponent. Wuss.

21. drslipdadic2me says: Mar 13, 2011 9:31 AM

What the hell are half of you talkin about? The guy got $50k to knock out some bum….. Like you wouldn’t take that fight.

Get real….. I’d fight him too if it was a basically guaranteed knockout & I walk away with a years salary in 1 min 45 secs.

22. roscoepcoaltrain86 says: Mar 13, 2011 10:12 AM

Anyone bashing this guy about fighting a weak opponent is ignorant. He needed to get the rust off. He has a solid amatuer career and has been playing football instead. Now that football is uncertain. You can’t knock this guy at all. Besides you wouldn’t talk all that trash to his face anyway. So why even say anything at all

23. dempsey63 says: Mar 13, 2011 10:30 AM

Mark Gastineau and Alonzo Highsmith should be next in line for the “NFL’s Best Boxer” title. And the winner could eventually face Ed “Too Tall” Jones.

24. skleech22 says: Mar 13, 2011 11:22 AM

Ocho vs. Z would be good for the people in the front rows since they will be picking up 85′s GOLD chiclets as they fly out of the ring!!!

25. FoozieGrooler says: Mar 13, 2011 11:47 AM

I see Chad never responded to the challenge.
    He’s smarter than I thought – any response either way would have been bad for HIM.

26. rockthered1286 says: Mar 13, 2011 12:23 PM

Okay, so everyone saying Zibby is not all that good and his only 2 fights are hand picked and easy, go ahead and tell me that you know all about Zibby’s amateur boxing records right? 60-13, and a silver gloves finalist in 98, 99, 2000, and won regional boxer of the year in 2000. Dude is no slouch. Would you honestly tell me you would fight somebody with the potential to whoop your ass and put your football career on the line? No, you take the match your handed, collect your 50G, and move on to the next. But to call him a nobody? I’d like to see any of you last 1 min 45 sec in the ring with him.

27. crazyrays says: Mar 13, 2011 12:48 PM

Let’s see him fight James Harrison!!!

28. robsterny says: Mar 13, 2011 12:49 PM

I think re-creating the Odd Couple, Staring Rex Ryan and Bill Bellichick would beat all *LOL*

29. dannylaruso says: Mar 13, 2011 2:59 PM

He did what he was supposed to do, knocked him out in the first round against a guy that had 30+ lbs on him. I’m impressed.

30. espnfeedback says: Mar 14, 2011 1:53 AM

This is the strategy that is keenly used by MMA.
    Tightly Control Who fights, and control Who fights Who and you can capitalize on the publics overwhelming hunger for a Great White Hope!

31. ericaalyssaann says: Mar 16, 2011 2:41 AM

You all want to run your mouth that you can do this and that, wont you put up or shut. When someones handpicking a fighter for you my 12 year old stepson could win a fight that way, The only thing that you guys wanted to do is build tommys rep up, but if you want to build it up and make something put him in the ring with someone his own age, instead of trying to pick on someone they know he can beat. Plus richard bryant isnt a wuss, hes more of a man than half of you guys on here. i should know hes my first cousin.

32. godsownfool says: Sep 6, 2011 4:59 PM

rockthered1286:

YOU SAID,”I’d like to see any of you last 1 min 45 sec in the ring with him.”

“any of you”?

LIKE I SAID,”if given one month AND $7G(currently unemployed),I’D OUTBOX THIS GUY.”
    TO WHICH I NOW ADD,”AND not BEING A HEAVYWEIGHT ANYMORE I WOULD WEIGH IN UNDER #200.”

C’MON SEE WHAT YOU CAN DO TO make it happen :)

I appreciate ANY EFFORT PUT FORTH.

33. godsownfool says: Sep 6, 2011 5:08 PM

TO ericaalyssaann:

YOU SAID,”wont you put up or shut. ”

SPEAKING FOR MYSELF,I’ll “put up”(my gloves – IF EVER GIVEN THE CHANCE)!