Coaches told contact with players reason for firing with cause

NFL Lockout Looms As Negotiations Reach Final Day Getty Images

NFL teams are taking this “no contact with players” thing seriously.

One agent who represents a Carolina Panthers coach was told that contact with a player would be reason for firing with cause, according to Darin Gantt of the Charlotte Observer.

Barring any illegal contact, however, the Panthers are being rather lockout friendly to their employees.  No layoffs or furloughs are planned and there’s a “sense of optimism” among employees things will remain business as usual until the Fall.

Contracts signed by new coaches did not contain any language that cuts their pay in the event of a lockout.  Many believe that owner Jerry Richardson cut payroll in 2010 in part to protect his employees this year.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
27 Responses to “Coaches told contact with players reason for firing with cause”
  1. iknowfootballandyoudont says: Mar 13, 2011 11:15 AM

Whatever,
    Many coaches will have contact with the players and not one will get fired.
    Especially Bill Belichek, we all know he misinterpets the rules.

2. flyerscup2010 says: Mar 13, 2011 11:24 AM

“Many believe that owner Jerry Richardson cut payroll in 2010 in part to protect his employees this year.”

If by that you mean “so he wouldn’t have to cut into his own money to avoid firing people” then yeah. But hey, at least they get to spend way too much money on the 1st overall pick of an underwhelming draft class (presumably in the absence of a rookie wage scale)! Of course, they don’t have that 1st pick of the 2nd round since they decided they needed Armanti Edwards last year. Good for you, Jerry Richardson. Enjoy your lockout!

3. zackd2 says: Mar 13, 2011 11:26 AM

Only if you’re the assistant to the assistant ballboy coach. Lets see a team fire Belicheck, Tomlin, etc.

4. jc1958cool says: Mar 13, 2011 11:28 AM

he also has lockout insurance! that’s the reason for all the litigation! the owners still have income but the players don’t, how is that fair?

5. inthecrowdlax says: Mar 13, 2011 11:28 AM

But what about those teams using a “middle man” between coach and players?

6. jw731 says: Mar 13, 2011 11:43 AM

So…I guess this means Shanahans invitation to McNabb to meet at TGIFridays for the 20 dollar entree for two is off the table……

7. iknowfootballandyoudont says: Mar 13, 2011 11:43 AM

jc1958cool says:
    Mar 13, 2011 11:28 AM

*****************************************
    Technically it’s a loan to the others. Do you really think the networks are going to pay the league billions and not televise any games, or replacement games?
    The league gets the money, but if no games are played(scabs dont count) then the league has to pay the money back.
    The NFLPA and players could have gotten loans too if they wanted

8. dh321 says: Mar 13, 2011 11:56 AM

jc1958cool says: Mar 13, 2011 11:28 AM

How is that fair? He’s the owner of a business and is entitled to whatever profits the said business makes.

But, back on topic. We all know BB has already worked out the off season practice schedule…

9. lowleadman says: Mar 13, 2011 11:57 AM

I’ll tell you what pisses me off as a Pats fan. That’s seeing Tom Brady as the face of this unadvised move to decertify and stop football as we know it. Tom Brady, who just received the largest contract per year in NFL history has slapped the face of his owner. Not good enough apparently. Additionally, with Brady’s millions, and the additional millions that his wife has, he has the ability to “survive” no matter how long this drags on, yet he is representing over 500 players who are free agants and don’t have a contract and are not going to get one any time soon. What are the fat cats like Brady, Manning and Brees doing up front? It should be the players who are more impacted by the devious and premeditated decision by their very questionable leader to decertify and cease the talks that should be the face of this debacle. And in short time, they will be as they are forced to eventually cross any picket line to keep the mortgage payments and car payments current. Brady, Manning and Brees have no such issue.

There was a time that Brady was the greatest in my eyes, but now he is nothing but a sham. He hasn’t won anything going on 7 years yet continues to get huge raises. A perfect example of a small time guy who once had the right attitude in climbing the ladder and improving his game, finally making it big and letting his head swell to the point of needing a brace to keep his head from sagging over. He is just a regular season wonder, and a choker in the 2nd season.
    Even when the Pats were winning SB’s he was throwing one TD a game.

They are really pushing me away from the NFL table. Can you tell I am fed up?

10. dequan81 says: Mar 13, 2011 11:58 AM

jc1958cool says:
    Mar 13, 2011 11:28 AM

____________________________________

Are you serious? I think you probably need to read and know the facts before making these kind of statements.

11. davefredsig says: Mar 13, 2011 12:04 PM

Jerry Richardson is a dirt bag. I lived in Charlotte. I am not a fan of the Panthers but the way he did the fans and the coaching staff this past season is a disgrace. He is a total piece…

12. wryly1 says: Mar 13, 2011 12:13 PM

The owners are trying to play hardball – with marshmallows. They either have to give in at the negoitiating table or lose in Court. Bet on it!

I pointed out here months ago that coaches would be ‘collateral damage’ of a work stoppage, because their hands are tied from be able to do what they are judged on, and held accountable for – improving their teams.

A handful of owners have a terminal case of myopia, but unfrotuantely for the rest of us, they are currently the tail wagging the dog.

13. thefiesty1 says: Mar 13, 2011 12:18 PM

Yea, right. Only if they are already dissatisfied with their choice for their recently hired new coach. It’s not going to happen. Of course, Richardson probably is unhappy with his choice already.

14. melissashusband says: Mar 13, 2011 12:18 PM

so does this mean that Tom Coughlin cannot speak to his Son in Law lineman?

15. CKL says: Mar 13, 2011 12:22 PM

I have no doubt this rule will be broken in some kind of way by some teams.
    This angers me..how in any way is what this whole situation has come to on both sides (lockout/decert)
    GOOD
    FOR
    THE
    QUALITY
    OF
    THE
    GAME?
    It isn’t.

Not enough big picture thinkers, too many pissing contest participants. The very first standard any item they are negotiating over should simply be, “Does it hurt or foster the long term quality of the sport?” THEN bring everything else in. I believe a lot of things would simply disappear from both sides if they were 100% committed to that first principle.

16. purplescar says: Mar 13, 2011 12:24 PM

What’s this feeling coming over me? Oh yeah, it’s the urge(sorta like having to piss) to tell the owners, the players, and their families(which I’m also sure that this whole thing is just about making sure they are taken care of) to F*** OFF!
    Hello MLB it’s been a while.

17. packerzman says: Mar 13, 2011 12:31 PM

from the millisecond i saw De Smith i knew the NFLPA would never concede what it would take for the owners to accept it…as an ex player Gene Upshaw was crucified beyond belief for his negotiating tactics with the NFL and was thought to be soft and gave away too much during his time as the head of the NFLPA…given the fact that A:De Smith is a lawyer and B: he’s roughly 5’3″ tall and suffers from chronic “short mans disease”..anyone that thought this “negotiation” would end up anywhere but where we are now was extremely naive

18. geobh says: Mar 13, 2011 12:38 PM

i need the number to direc tv to cancel nfl sunday ticket for good.

19. lawyermalloy says: Mar 13, 2011 12:49 PM

“One agent who represents a Carolina Panthers coach”
    At least you didn’t give away his anonymity!

20. buzmeg says: Mar 13, 2011 1:22 PM

Does this rule include Tom Coughlin? His son-in-law is Cris Snee a NY Giants player.

Katie and Cris, come on over for Sunday dinner, but I can’t talk to Cris or I’ll get fired. Give me a effin’ break.

This entire CBA bargaining fiasco is a real joke!

21. zackd2 says: Mar 13, 2011 2:14 PM

This is actually good for Cris Snee, who wants to talk to their in-laws anyways?

22. packerzman says: Mar 13, 2011 2:17 PM

geobh says:
    Mar 13, 2011 12:38 PM
    i need the number to direc tv to cancel nfl sunday ticket for good.

i wonder how that is going to work considering the fact DirecTV starts to bill me in 3 months before the season is even going to start…im not paying in advance for a season that is in jeopardy due to greedy billionaires arguing with self righteous players being led by a arogant self centered egomaniacal midget who figured all along they could get a better deal in litigation rather than settle in mediation..whats the DirecTV number???

23. huskerguy says: Mar 13, 2011 2:17 PM

Since I bought a share in the Packers I say as part owner of the best NFL franchise to continue doing team business as normal in Green Bay. :)

24. eknirb says: Mar 13, 2011 2:59 PM

Owners have billions, so do the players. And it’s not enough. The arrogance of these people in the face of fans that struggle to make their bills is stunning.

I am DONE, DONE, DONE, do u hear me, Goodell?
    I know you read websites like this. So hear the voice of a longtime NFL fan——

I’ll stick to MLB.

NFL for me is history.

25. Deb says: Mar 13, 2011 4:27 PM

That’s a “cut off the nose to spite the face” measure if ever I’ve heard one. At the end of all this, the teams will take the field–and the owners will want them to win. They’ll have a better chance of that if the players have been allowed to interact with their coaches while the owners have barred everyone from their facilities.

26. waldoampere says: Mar 13, 2011 4:29 PM

“I am DONE, DONE, DONE, do u hear me, Goodell?
    I know you read websites like this. So hear the voice of a longtime NFL fan—— I’ll stick to MLB.”

Since you obviously returned to watch MLB after their strike in 1994, I guess there’s no real reason for Goodell to be worried about people like you returning to watch the NFL.

27. nickynick04 says: Mar 13, 2011 6:15 PM

I am getting very sick and tired of billionare owners negotiating for more money…..how about keeping beer prices down…..no way you can justify $8 beers, that are warmer than my hot dog…or my $6 hot dog that colder than my beer….the NFL has gooten too big , too greedy, and the will fall.
    Mark my words,,,GREED of the owners will detroy this good thing…hey owners,,,when is enough,,,enough…#%&*#@*&^%& ers !