Alternative NFLPA* event could have new teammates greet picks

NFL Draft Football AP

As the possibility of the NFLPA* suggesting, sort of, that incoming rookies invited to the 2011 NFL Draft choose not to attend, NFLPA* spokesman George Atallah says (as Rosenthal has pointed out) it’s not a boycott.

“[T]he NFLPA[*] is not asking anyone to ‘boycott’ anything,” Atallah wrote on his Twitter page earlier today.  “NFL Draft in particular.”

Fine, but the NFLPA* also is considering an alternative event, to which the players would be invited.  Absent the ability of the players to duplicate themselves, accepting the invitation from the NFLPA* would mean rejecting the offer from the NFL.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated explains that the alternative event could feature not NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith greeting the new picks but members of their next team welcoming them with open arms.  King says that the NFLPA* is exploring the possibility of bringing at least one veteran player from every team to New York for the event.

Patrick Peterson’s knee-jerk explanation notwithstanding, we think that most of the players invited to the draft will give serious consideration to the offer from the NFLPA*, especially if the event “feels” like the draft itself.

“What is the first round of the draft for the NFL?” an unnamed agent with several first-round prospects told King.  “It’s a TV show, a show that makes the league a lot of money.  They’re going to be asking young men to shake the hand of a commissioner [Roger Goodell] who is trying to lock them out.  They’re going to be asking young men to help the league put on this big TV production.  And I can tell you this: There’re a few quarterbacks who could get picked high in this draft and the NFL will invite to New York.  All those quarterbacks would do by attending the draft for the NFL is giving DeMarcus Ware more incentive to knock their blocks off the first time they line up across the line of scrimmage from him.”

That’s the most valid point yet.  These new players eventually will be playing with — and against — current veterans.  To get along, it’s important to go along, and in this case it means not going to Radio City Music Hall.

Permalink 70 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
70 Responses to “Alternative NFLPA* event could have new teammates greet picks”
  1. tdurk34 says: Mar 15, 2011 1:54 PM

Yea, and hand them a copy of the new rookie wage scale they are putting in.

2. wryly1 says: Mar 15, 2011 1:55 PM

That’s a waaaay better idea for both fans and players. Present and future teammates together in a show of solidarity.

Owner’s are trying to have it all three ways: locking out players, preventing contact between coaches and players, but still have their ‘show’ for RD1 of the Draft.

Draft prospects would be well-advised to come into the league aligned with their veteran teammates.

3. kingjoe1 says: Mar 15, 2011 1:55 PM

If i were a draft pick with a chance to be in NY I would tell the current players go crap in their hats. I have not seen the current players returning their money and asking their sponsors to stop showing their commericals or print ads.

These kids work their whole life for this chance and are now being asked by the people who negotiated away millions of dollars in the rookie pool, to give up the one moment in their life where they are being honored for all those practices and hard work, what a joke. NFL players are selfish greedy scumbags.

4. myspaceyourface says: Mar 15, 2011 1:56 PM

Instead of all this energy and time being spent on sticking to the boss, why not try and work on a new agreement.

The more Smith represents the players, the more it appears he has no idea what he is doing.

This guy is clueless.

5. thebigolddog says: Mar 15, 2011 1:56 PM

Personally, as an owner, I wouldn’t invest a top draft pick in a kid who’s first action is to disrespect me by listening to somebody with no skin in the game like De Smith. I’d peg him as a Malcontent and pick a kid in the room or trade down.

6. chapnastier says: Mar 15, 2011 1:57 PM

Serious question here: What legal obligation to teams have to inform the NFLP* of their draft picks? Since the players are officially locked out one could argue that they have no right to team or league information until a new CBA is reached. It seems to me that the logical thought would be if the players did something like this they would be violating the lockout and hence maybe doing something illegal. Again I don’t know one way or another but the question seems legit to me.

7. pwall1 says: Mar 15, 2011 1:58 PM

Very interesting. I wonder if this alternate party would be televised. I think fans would like to see which player from their team shows up. It’d definitely be more interesting to watch than the commish.

Then again, if there’s no Mike Mayock or Mel Kiper, the whole Draft show becomes confusing, so that’d have to be part of it.

8. tdurk34 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:00 PM

…and they think Major League Soccer gets low ratings!!!! ESPN won’t air it, NBC, CBS and Fox won’t as it will be a conflict with their current NFL deals. ABC owns ESPN, well Disney owns them all, so that eliminates the Disney Channel too. Maybe TMZ, right after the Charlie Scheen life story, same concept, life as you know it crash and burns!!!

9. byoung88 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:01 PM

They’re now resorting to intimidation on these young guys?!?!!! Getting drafted only happens once for these guys – I say screw the union and it’s members!!

I really hope these dudes killed the golden goose!

10. possiblecabbage says: Mar 15, 2011 2:02 PM

What’s to keep a prospect from accepting the NFL’s invitation, and then after he shakes Goodell’s hand, hold’s up the jersey, and does a few token interviews… heads across town and goes to the NFLPA* draft party?

Would the NFLPA* really turn a guy away? I mean, all he would have to say is “Hey, before I was drafted I wasn’t an NFL player, now I am and I stand with you guys.”

Best of both worlds.

11. ditkasmustache says: Mar 15, 2011 2:02 PM

“That’s the most valid point yet. These new players eventually will be playing with — and against — current veterans. To get along, it’s important to go along, and in this case it means not going to Radio City Music Hall.”

———————-

Thats the point I made yesterday. Rookies get hassled enough as it is. Imagine a rookie who is perceived to help the owners during a lock out?

The only question is whether he gets his head knocked off by a teammate in training camp or in his first exhibition game….

12. dfwxpress says: Mar 15, 2011 2:02 PM

I like the idea of veterns welcoming in the rookies but I don’t like the NFLPA* “taking their ball” and going down the street to play.

Aren’t we grown ups? In a few weeks, months or maybe a year after a new agreement what’s the relationship going to be like?

I think as fans we should boycott the players’ draft. See how a TV rating of 0.0 feels…we love football not because of one player but the game itself.

13. toe4 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:03 PM

I know its a once in a lifetime event for the drafted guys. But I don’t understand how the drafted guys aren’t also locked out. In order to go to the draft and have playing cards and promo pics of them man-hugging don’t they have to sign some sort of something or other?

How can that happen during the lockout?

Players and Owners SHUT UP AND BALL!

14. fin72 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:05 PM

I can’t wait to see Chad Henne “greet” Jake Locker.

15. radrntn says: Mar 15, 2011 2:06 PM

lets get this right are they really “teammates” of the nfl, or the players on the team that picks them

Seems to me these guys have no loyalty to thier so called “teammates”, but more to the almighty dollar and whichever nfl owner wants to pay them the most. Is that not why they want UFA …..once again another contradiction by these clowns.

Owners are all just sitting back watching these guys repeatedly keep shooting themselves in the foot with their mouths. They have to be loving it.

16. kellyb9 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:06 PM

If I were a new player, I’d stay away from it entirely. The NFLPA* doesn’t draft players, the general managers and owners do. I’d rather not get on their bad side before they pick me.

17. kennyzed88 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:09 PM

so we’re supposed to feel sorry for these athletes who can’t feed their families but they’ve got the coin to put on a full-scale TV production for the purposes of extending a pissing contest?

18. alpod says: Mar 15, 2011 2:09 PM

the insinuation that any player would remember this is so stupid. In a year, when the league has a new agreement, all will be forgiven and forgotten between the two sides. their memories won’t go past the mounds of money in front of them.

19. rpiotr01 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:11 PM

Great idea. Give a big middle finger to the folks who are going to pay your salaries. And then give a big middle finger to the public, whose attention and deep pockets fund those folks who are going to pay your salaries.

But please, NFLPA*, tell us all again about how much you care about the fans and about the integrity of the game.

Of all the petty, small things to do….

20. jsbbubba says: Mar 15, 2011 2:11 PM

The more the NFLPA* talks, the more they sound like a Union. Now, threats of physical violence against what, INDEPENDENT TRADESMAN that don’t want to go to the trademan’s draft party? That is union strike talk. I’m surprised they’re just not calling the draft eligible players SCABS. This more and more makes the “sham” argument the league is talking about makes sense.

21. runwright44 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:14 PM

To put these young men, not even members of the NFL, in the position of being pawns in this dispute is beyond unscrupulous. It’s a no-win situation. Show up and upset the current players; stay away and upset your future employer.

22. duanethomas says: Mar 15, 2011 2:19 PM

Yes! Well played Mr Smith and NFLPA*. Their event will be soldout, and leave the owners looking like chapnastier…stupid. Fans want to see players, not Roger Goodell and Mel Kiper. If you agree with the NFLPA THUMBS DOWN! Agree the players against the owners Thumbs Up!

23. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Mar 15, 2011 2:21 PM

Why doesn’t the NFLPA stop screwing around with trying to provide an alternative to the Draft and get to negotiating. Geezus people. Where are your priorities?

24. bigfranky75 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:22 PM

WHo would actually watch this? LOL… seriously…???

and even if there was a market for peopel that woudl actually consider watchign this joke of a show (again, i dont think there is), btu how could thye televise somethig nwithout violating NFL trademarks?

it would be on delay… and no logos or team names could be used… what a joke. yeah, i’ll be sure to tune in!!! LOL! (sarcasm)…

25. bleedsoe9mm says: Mar 15, 2011 2:22 PM

i’m guessing this won’t be broadcasted on the nfl network , espn , nbc , cbs or fox .

26. cjepp says: Mar 15, 2011 2:25 PM

Minimum salary in the NFL is still in 6 figures. All of these Aholes insult fans. All of them. And that Demaurice Smith, if you cant see d-bag just by looking at him, you have some serious issues.

The NFL is going down. Way down. I am a HUGE DIE HARD FAN and if this circus makes ME less of a fan, I cant imagine what it does to the common fan. I will be now going to refocus my fanhood to college football. The NFL is a disgrace to america.

27. metalhead65 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:27 PM

so they expect kids who will see the money they get as rookies restricted by a wage scale the union supports to show solidarity with them? guys go with the real deal not this dog and pony show. besides being a once in a lifetime deal I guarantee noboy outside of that room will be watching. all we as fans care about is who is going to our team. whether you are there or not does not matter.

28. orbearider66 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:30 PM

With all due respect to this “unnamed” agent, if I tune in to watch the draft, it’s not to watch some kid hug his family and shake the commissioner’s hand. It’s to find out what my team does and to see what happens. If the NFLPA* thinks people are going to tune in to see a draft pick hugged by his new teammates (rather than the draft iteself), they are more deluded than I thought.

As far as DeMarcus Ware needing incentive to knock their blocks off, isn’t that what he’s paid for already? I also suspect that the QB will have linemen with incentive to keep that from happening.

The more I hear from the agents and the NFLPA*, the more I just simply hate unions and everything they think they are entitled to.

29. myspaceyourface says: Mar 15, 2011 2:30 PM

If I were the owners:

1. I would vote to expand the draft to 15 rounds for 2011

2. I would hold open tryouts

3. I would open Free Agency to all players not part of the current union/non union.

4. I would cut ticket prices and stadium costs 25%

5. I would plan on a full season for 2011-2012. I would give union/non-union players one opportunity to return to work during the weeks of August 1-8. If they didn’t carry on with business as usual.

30. Matt-NC says: Mar 15, 2011 2:32 PM

The rookies should not be hassled or pressured to attend either event. It’s their moment. It’s their choice.

The mafia mentality union will likely put subtle pressures on them.

31. redrew says: Mar 15, 2011 2:34 PM

Great idea NFLPA…spend a ton of money on your own broadcast and show America why players need even more. I’ve gone from neutral to pro ownership thanks to this idea.

32. chapnastier says: Mar 15, 2011 2:36 PM

@ myspace

Well said sir/maam

33. jeff061 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:36 PM

What’s curiously missing here is the main thrust of this – is the NFLPA wanting to generate $$ off of this. The goal here is to sell this concept to ESPN or Fox – w/ $$ going to the NFLPA.

This show of solidarity is actually just a money making scheme by the NFLPA to make $$ off of the rookies – by diverting them from the NFL

Pretty lame.

34. zaggs says: Mar 15, 2011 2:38 PM

Current players care about current players. They dont care about new players, they sure as hell dont care about past players. De Smith can’t even be bothered to meet with George Martin about former players. I would say screw the current players.

35. hamdog69 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:38 PM

Remember when Brees et al made that awkward gesture holding up their fingure in the opening game of the season? should have kept that sh** off the field. we should have known then. Not taking sides, but the actions of some on the side of the players are poor at best. For us in the real world, it is crazy to ask our employers to open the books. Hearing interviews from some retired players who have been on both sides of this, it sure sounds like the players got a real good deal the last go around and the owners are wanting to balance this out. I believe Fran Tarkington did a good interview on this. Not taking sides, but in watching things play out, it seems to me that actions to date by the players side – makes them look a little suspect thus far. Take care of the retired players who made the game what it is and get the rest of this crap settled. This would be great year for college football to come up with a playoff system. I beleive that college football could surplant every other sport – hands down. Oops, forgot, money has already prevented that from happening as well. Flag football anyone?

36. lt2369 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:38 PM

I can’t possibly take this seriously until the NFLPA* gets someone to televise it. As has been pointed out, you can forget CBS, NBC, ESPN and FOX. I suppose that Time Warner or Viacom might be interested, but I highly doubt it. What reputable network would be interested in a one time deal that could damage their future prospects at getting a piece of the NFL pie someday in the future? Even YEARS in the future.

I can’t see any draftees taking it seriously if it’s not broadcast live.

37. cmich2006 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:40 PM

Low rent move but I have come to expect nothing less from Smith…yet they wonder why the sentiment is growing against them. Let the kids enjoy their day in the sun for god’s sake.

38. jerseydevil856 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:42 PM

K, reality check time for DeMo, Manning, Brady, Brees and the rest of the union idiots.

1) If you think for one second that any major TV network will cover your little draft party, think again. The networks who are in a partnership with the NFL won’t screw the owners over…and those who aren’t won’t if they ever want a chance to see NFL games on their network anytime soon. Advantage: Owners.

2) For a union that has “decertified”, you are sure doing a lot of “union-like” things….such as calling prospective players and informing them of an alternative event that your organization is presumably funding. And it’s adding more ammo to the owners’ argument that your decertification was a complete sham. Advantage: Owners.

3) Now you have “unnamed agents” who are presumably advising their clients of the backlash they might encounter if they don’t follow their union brethren…gee, pretty typical of union bullying behavior. That will go over really well when a few top prospects don’t follow along. Cracks in the armor are already starting to show. Advantage: Owners.

I’ll be watching the NFL draft which will be live on TV. As for DeMo and the rest of the union idiots….enjoy the ballroom at the Holiday Inn.

39. hedleykow says: Mar 15, 2011 2:42 PM

Does anyone else get the sense there are a bucket load of shills for the league spending their days here? There can’t be this many people in the world who vicariously live their lives as NFL franchisees.

40. myspaceyourface says: Mar 15, 2011 2:43 PM

You never let the inmates run the prison. . . The owners need to show them who the boss is. Where the money comes from.

No Owners – No Teams

No Teams – No Fans

No Fans – No $$$ for players

The players need to realize they are the most expendable piece in this puzzle. Know your roll, shut your mouth and say thank you.

41. angrycorgi says: Mar 15, 2011 2:45 PM

I’ve got an idea for another alternative NFLPA event…how about we tie D.Smith to a telephone pole and fans get to take turns (single-file line, please, gentlemen) kicking him in the sack until he cries for his momma.

Thumbs up if you’d like to join the sack-pummeling line, thumbs down if you’d rather get on your knees and pleasure D.Smith.

42. b7p19 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:46 PM

@Chapnastier –

I would think the players would be allowed to watch TV.

43. bluvayner says: Mar 15, 2011 2:47 PM

Yes…. the NFL makes a lot of money by putting the draft on television……..and 50 to 60 percent of that money goes directly into the player’s salary pool.

If the ratings are lower, the ads will sell for less, and the league will make less for the broadcast next year and in the future. That means lower player salaries, because the salary pool/cap will be lower.

This thing will be over at some point. Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face.

44. stealthjunk says: Mar 15, 2011 2:51 PM

Of course they’re not going to call it a “boycott.” Boycotts have antitrust significance, especially in a case where you’re trying to argue that decertification was not a sham.

45. jerseydevil856 says: Mar 15, 2011 2:55 PM

hedleykow says: Mar 15, 2011 2:42 PM

****************************************

Yeah, it has to be shills. Because middle-class Americans who are fighting for their jobs wouldn’t ever complain about overpaid, pampered athletes whining about their millions. Idiot.

46. duanethomas says: Mar 15, 2011 2:56 PM

@myspace. Great idea, until you come to # 4. Goodluck in having Mike Brown, Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones go along with that. They very well may have replacement players, but it will be full-price.

47. bluvayner says: Mar 15, 2011 3:00 PM

This lockout is starting to remind me a lot of the player strike of the 1980’s. A bunch of self entitled brats, trying to act like labor leaders, and having no idea what so ever of how to go about it. The more the players talk, the more it becomes obvious that most of them are lucky to have any job at all, never mind one that pays them millions of dollars.

48. footballisking says: Mar 15, 2011 3:01 PM

This idea is brilliant!!! Another victory for the players!!!!!

49. phinheads says: Mar 15, 2011 3:02 PM

I wish Vince McMahon could get all of these clowns in the squared circle for a Royal Rumble. Can you imagine Roger Goodell being being smashed into the turnbuckle by Adrian Peterson? Nevermind, Vince can’t afford what they would ask for.

50. jerseydevil856 says: Mar 15, 2011 3:09 PM

myspaceyourface says: Mar 15, 2011 2:30 PM

If I were the owners:

1. I would vote to expand the draft to 15 rounds for 2011

2. I would hold open tryouts

4. I would cut ticket prices and stadium costs 25%

****************************************

Love it and would be all for it.

And I’ll root for MY TEAM. I don’t care if its 53 guys from the local tavern going against 53 guys from a NY tavern. It’s not about the individual players, it’s about the TEAM i support. When the players finally realize the fact that they’re not irreplaceable, maybe we’ll get somewhere.

51. seahawkhuskyfan says: Mar 15, 2011 3:10 PM

I think the League should just delay the draft until a deal is worked out. What good does it do us to see who our team picks if there isn’t a season. I think this move would help gets things going. Delay the draft today. Let DeMoron has his party.

52. broncfanor says: Mar 15, 2011 3:17 PM

How can they be welcomed by “teammates” when there isn’t a team?

Another victory for the players? What was their first victory?

Face it, the players are going to LOSE this and they rightly should.

Had they not been unreasonable and continued to negotiate this mess wouldn’t be happening.

This is now on the players and DeMoron Smith.

53. Deb says: Mar 15, 2011 3:30 PM

Excellent idea. I’d much rather see veteran players welcome their new teammates than watch Goodell, a man I can’t stand, welcome them.

But of course, the majority posting will object to this, too. The players can do no right in their eyes because they see the poor lil owners as victims of a nefarious workforce :roll:

54. shrimpdd says: Mar 15, 2011 3:31 PM

Who cares? It won’t be broadcast.

The NFLPA has to legal access to the term “NFL Draft”, nor do they have any right to license any kind of live broadcast to go with it.

So the kids have a choice. Go to a live event that everyone in the country will watch, some of us on ESPN and the NFL Network both, or go to a lame event coordinated by De Smith, that is not on TV. Then they can meet Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, who’ll explain why they have huge contracts, and these new kids will have greatly reduced contracts.

Yep! Fun times, NFLPA! What else ya got?

55. seahawkhuskyfan says: Mar 15, 2011 3:35 PM

NEW DRAFT IDEA

56. seahawkhuskyfan says: Mar 15, 2011 3:37 PM

NEW DRAFT IDEA

60 ROUNDS. EVERYBODY IS WELCOME TO JOIN THE DRAFT

Last 4 years combine records will determine draft order.

Wow, that would be fun.

57. kscogg says: Mar 15, 2011 3:39 PM

chapnastier says:
    Mar 15, 2011 1:57 PM

__________

did you not read the entire article? The draft is a big TV production for the NFL so why on earth would they have the draft and not tell anyone their picks? oh sure ESPN you can have your cameras here but PLEASE don’t put the crawl up with our picks………..

58. corvusrex96 says: Mar 15, 2011 3:40 PM

I hear the Vikings players are going to rent boat and provide entertainment for the new rookies.

59. p4ever says: Mar 15, 2011 3:42 PM

This site is infested by people paid for by the NFL owners. It stinks.

60. KIR says: Mar 15, 2011 3:47 PM

I support the players union but this is a really, really, really bad idea.

61. apopnj says: Mar 15, 2011 3:50 PM

The NFLPA or former NFLPA is wrong on this one. They forget where they came from. These kids worked hard all their lives for this moment. Why would the NFLPA want to take that away from them? It’s a bit selfish to me. The owners here are the ones that are entrepreneurs and taking risks. They should also reap the rewards. The players are benefiting from the owners hard work and investment. That being said, I believe both, the owners and players screwed the pooch. The players would want to re-think Demaurice Smith as their representative. It seems this guy is over his head. He does wear some nice hats though. The owners also wantt their cake and eat to by wanting to still get paid from advertisers without playing the games. The funny thing is, the NFL for now is so popular that people will come back to the game if their is a work stoppage. What will the bookies do?!!

62. buckeyefan1026 says: Mar 15, 2011 3:51 PM

I don’t think you should get paid on potential, but on results. They shouldn’t be paying the 1st pick 56 mil and making his pay the same as some of the top veteran QB’s in the league. Players should have lifetime health insurance that is full coverage though.

I understand players have leverage because they have a unique skillset, but those players who aren’t replacable are being compensated appropriately.

I understand the argument “we have to live on this money for the rest of our lives”. Nobody is stopping you from getting a job when youre done with football. Perhaps you should have payed attention with your free schooling at college. Learn how to market yourself for endorsements. Im sorry that I dont feel bad that you made 5 million this year for playing 16 games of a game you love. I dont know about everyone else, but I think I could manage 5 million for the next 50 years. Maybe you should invest that money rather than buying 4 Ferrari’s.

Owners have to invest alot of money into their team and put all the risk. It is a business and the athletes are the employees. Shame on them for putting these kids in a position where they have to make a decision to please their boss or to please their future teammates, when this is something they have looked forward to for years.

63. rcali says: Mar 15, 2011 3:59 PM

Who really cares if the players are at the draft? Not sure how it would change anything and would even save the viewer from the back stage camera shot every two minutes.

64. freebird2011 says: Mar 15, 2011 4:03 PM

This is one of those “rub the owners noses in it” things that could very well backfire on the NFLPA in the courtroom.

There’s and old saying [with correlative substitutions]:

If it looks like a duck [a union], quacks [talks] like a duck [a union], walks [acts] like a duck [a union], then it must be a duck [a union].

Interfering with the draft that was agree to under the previous CBA is a bad strategy.

65. shallowfan says: Mar 15, 2011 4:06 PM

““What is the first round of the draft for the NFL?” an unnamed agent with several first-round prospects told King. “It’s a TV show, a show that makes the league a lot of money. They’re going to be asking young men to shake the hand of a commissioner [Roger Goodell] who is trying to lock them out.”

I’m sorry, I thought that Goodell and the NFL was going to give these guys a job making millions playing a game they love to play…I guess I got it all wrong.

If the players want to really make a stand then retire from the NFL or withdraw from the draft and drive a truck or something…that’ll show those terrible owners who’s boss!!!

66. leafsweet says: Mar 15, 2011 4:06 PM

How can the NFLPA hold an event if they no longer exsist, I’m trying to stay neutral in all this but the Player’s are looking bad.

67. chapnastier says: Mar 15, 2011 4:09 PM

@ duane

You are wrong bro, sorry.

@ Deb

You are wrong too but its OK because you are usually right.

@kscogg

I understand that it would be shown on TV but what would this alternate event look like? A green room with a bunch of guys watching plasmas showing ESPN and the NFL network? It just seems odd.

68. stataddict says: Mar 15, 2011 4:27 PM

I wonder if the NFL is going to ask members of the NFL alumni to announce the picks for their former teams. Instead of having Goddell be shunned by the NFLPA*’s alternate event, the non-“union” could then shun those who paved the way.

69. kscogg says: Mar 15, 2011 4:49 PM

@chapnastier

I agree but I like the idea of taking all of the fluff away from the NFL. If it means the rookies are huddled up with veteran players from their respective teams instead of standing next to goodell I am all for it. Let them celebrate with their new teammates, not the very men who have, in large part caused this mess.

70. Deb says: Mar 15, 2011 5:19 PM

@chap …

That’s the sweetest disagreement anyone’s ever posted to me :)

@shrimpdd …

You’re right that the NFL Network won’t televise it and they couldn’t use the NFL logos. But do you really think no other network would film a BBQ at the house of a New York player where reps from every team were on hand to slap an arm around incoming rookies?