Pat Bowlen says he’s just as frustrated as the fans

Pat Bowlen

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is telling fans he’s just as unhappy as they are that the NFL’s players and owners couldn’t negotiate a deal on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

“You have every right to be disappointed and frustrated with the lack of a collective bargaining agreement,” Bowlen wrote in his letter to season-ticket holders. “As owner of the Denver Broncos and co-chair of the NFL Management Council Executive Committee, I want to say that I share your level of frustration. I am sorry the negotiating efforts have yet to yield a new deal.”

Bowlen should be frustrated in part with his fellow owners because the Broncos were willing to open their books, while the other owners refused. So he can’t be frustrated just with the other side of the table.

And just like the fans, Bowlen’s frustration is only going to grow over the next three weeks, as nothing is going to happen until April 6 at the earliest.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
25 Responses to “Pat Bowlen says he’s just as frustrated as the fans”
  1. jc1958cool says: Mar 15, 2011 8:02 AM

get rid of the 9 onwers negotiating and put 9 new ones in! you’ll have a CBA in one week!

2. wryly1 says: Mar 15, 2011 8:05 AM

The answer is inevitable, but the owners are still resisting in denial. They have but one option: to ‘negotiate’ a deal, not ‘dictate’ terms and conditions. That simply isn’t going to fly. Never has and never will -which is the reason why ‘mediation’ failed.

3. toe4 says: Mar 15, 2011 8:13 AM

Is there an argument yet for not opening the books?

4. Patriot42 says: Mar 15, 2011 8:37 AM

I hope the owners stick don’t open their books. employees should show up for work and work or quit.

5. lunarpie says: Mar 15, 2011 8:43 AM

blah blah blah

Get it done or both parties will lose millions!

6. toe4 says: Mar 15, 2011 8:43 AM

What the players don’t get is that you don’t get to be loved and rich.

You want the money, do what you’re doing.

You want me to love you, shut up and ball.

You can’t have both.

7. carson9 says: Mar 15, 2011 8:50 AM

8. broncobourque says: Mar 15, 2011 8:51 AM

Having a few teams open their books should be enough, it doesn’t have to be the entire league. The union is saying they want evidence to support the idea that team profits are falling and that it isn’t due to lavish spending. Using a team like the Broncos, who were for years one of the model franchises and are likely a very “typical” team in terms of their books, should give the union a good idea of the state of most teams. When you combine that with the union already being able to see the Packers’ books that should be enough to paint them a pretty good picture.

9. angrycorgi says: Mar 15, 2011 9:18 AM

—-

You need to read into what is ACTUALLY happening. When they first came to the table, both came with their ideal #s, as each side saw it. The gap has been bridged by the owners shifting closer and closer to what the players want. The players have NOT budged an inch nor offered an alternate compromise. They stand firm on their ludicrous initial stance. That is NOT an example of negotiating.

10. jsbbubba says: Mar 15, 2011 9:20 AM

Mike,
    It looks as if it’s going to be a while before anything REALLY IMPORTANT happens. Could you spend some time posting or maybe on an upcoming PFT LIVE segment, talking about how the last CBA was rushed through? I remember Ralph Wilson and Mike Brown from the Bengals were mocked in 2006 when Tagliabue rushed to give away the store to Upshaw. I believe Tagliabue did this to avoid a work stopage then, which would have harmed his legacy. I think the current situation reflects terribly on Tagliabue. Had he done a better deal for the owners, they wouldn’t have had to opt-out early. Worth a segment or a post?
    Just sayin…

11. joetoronto says: Mar 15, 2011 9:33 AM

Are you sure it was actually Pat Bowlen that said that?

From what I know, the man isn’t even lucid anymore.

12. thetooloftools says: Mar 15, 2011 9:40 AM

My overall interest in The NFL is waning as both sides are proving “it’s all about the money”.

13. 3octaveFart says: Mar 15, 2011 9:42 AM

carson9 says: Mar 15, 2011 8:50 AM

“I hope the players get screwed. Unions are the reason for all of the financial meltdowns in our Auto Industry, our Government Sector, and now our national Sports. Good Riddance!”

Yeah, who needs the Middle Class? I can hardly wait to take my place living out the rest of my days as a servant to the feudal lords.

14. toe4 says: Mar 15, 2011 9:51 AM

angrycorgi,

First let me say they are both wrong.

Saying that the owners are the ones doing the shifting is misleading. The owners are the ones asking for the change. The players have said all along “prove a change is needed” and the owners refuse.

So one could just as easily say “the owners are easing off their demands” or “the owners are now asking the players to take a smaller paycut then they were originally asking.”

And finally the money separation is still pretty far apart and it all boils down to:

Owners: “We need the sweetheart deal you received to end.”
    Players: “Prove it”
    Owners: “no”

Having said that I have no sympathy for the players who have overplayed their hand. Bring on Shane Falco, I love the Colts. I loved Mike Pagel, I loved Jack Trudeau, I loved Jim Harbaugh, I love Peyton Manning and I’ll love whoever is next.

(I did not love Jeff George)

15. thefiesty1 says: Mar 15, 2011 9:52 AM

I feel you4 pain. The players don’t really want to see your books. They just want ALL the money. Greedy jerks. With your billions and their millions they will never be satisfied.

16. ravensfreak00 says: Mar 15, 2011 9:53 AM

No, he’s not.

17. 3octaveFart says: Mar 15, 2011 10:25 AM

thefiesty1 says: Mar 15, 2011 9:52 AM

“The players … just want ALL the money. Greedy jerks.”

I guess you haven’t heard.
    The players haven’t asked for cent.

18. ditkasmustache says: Mar 15, 2011 10:33 AM

Patriot42 says: Mar 15, 2011 8:37 AM

——————————

Yet another poster who wants to compare the NFL ( an entertainment company with a nine billion dollar a year monopoly) with the local widget plant.

19. angrycorgi says: Mar 15, 2011 10:43 AM

——

Let me make this plain. The desire of the players is to maintain the status quo. No change. That was what they brought to the table. “We want an extension of our wicked good deal.” When you approach a negotiation with a figure or a desire, it always represents an idealic position, not what is expected to occurr, thus leaving room for negotiation. The players know this, and they know that the current deal will balloon at a rate of 15% per year, and that’s 3-4 times the rate of inflation, so yeah…that is ideal, but not realistic. To say they don’t want more is misleading. They want to continue to grow their income at an unsustainable rate. If it continues, there is NO WAY IN HECK the league will be viable in 10 years. The average player salary will be 4x what it is today.

To be honest, the owners never should have given them such an incredible deal in the first place. They should have known it was not sustainable for the long term. I have a feeling they assumed Gene would still be around to stop the bleeding and be reasonable, but he passed suddenly and now they are stuck with irresponsible children playing like they are men and a handful of lawyers looking to make bank.

20. raiderfankirk says: Mar 15, 2011 10:57 AM

Get Al Davis there and you got a new CBA. Al is god in the NFL.

21. vonsmoky71165 says: Mar 15, 2011 10:58 AM

@ angrycorgi

—-

_________________________

I agree that the bridge has somewhat been gapped. But did you not hear that the players offered to only give the owners the $1B of the top and then split revenues 50/50 instead of the 59/41 split they had, and the owners wouldn’t of had to open their books. Let’s see $8b times 9 percent is $720M. that means the players were willing to give up almost 3/4 of a billion dollars AND the owners wouldn’t have to open the books. I would say that that IS trying to meet in the middle. the owners are the ones who are being stubborn.

NO WE WON’T OPEN OUR BOOKS AND YES WE WILL GET OUR EXTRA BILLION DOLLARS OFF THE TOP!!

Also to all those that think this is cut and dried as a employer/employee relationship you are wrong. They are partners in this endeavor because the players are also the product of the NFL. Yes the employer should not open books if they are selling widgets. But in the NFL you have 32 individual businesses promoting a united product made up of 1700 players. The players(product) are paid by the individual businesses a salary and said salary will fluctuate from contract to contract dependent upon the success of the entire NFL. This is very similar to actors and movies. Actors get paid a beginning salary to star in a film and then get a percentage of the revenue. Why? Because without the actor (product) there is no film.

22. jerseydevil856 says: Mar 15, 2011 11:45 AM

vonsmoky71165 says: Mar 15, 2011 10:58 AM

***********************************

I love how you say the players “were willing to give up almost 3/4 of a billion dollars”. First off, it’s not THEIR money to give up, it’s the owners. The players need to remember that they are the talent, not the owners…and talent is ALWAYS replaceable.

23. ktfulmer says: Mar 15, 2011 12:04 PM

I am frustrated at Pat Bowlen for giving too much control to a grade A moron like Joe Ellis when he started to let ye olde mental faculties slip.

24. These pretzels are making me thirsty! says: Mar 15, 2011 1:05 PM

—————

We’ve seen the salary cap numbers that were proposed. Which year, exactly, would qualify as a “paycut”?

Seriously… can people do basic math anymore?

25. luckywi says: Mar 15, 2011 2:44 PM

Patriot42 says:
    Mar 15, 2011 8:37 AM

Another NFL stooge, I presume?