Washington Redskins v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

Coming off a 12.5 sack season, Titans defensive end Jason Babin is likely to get a generous contract when free agency opens up in the NFL once again.

Well, that’s as long as he’s not playing in another football league at the time.

Babin says he’ll considering playing inthe CFL or UFL if a work stoppage drags on a while.

“I know those leagues would love to grow their awareness and if they got a certain amount of high-profile guys to join in, the money would go from the NFL pool to the CFL or UFL pool and maybe they could negotiate a TV deal,” Babin told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean.  “Now that would scare the [stuffing] out of the NFL owners if they could pull something like that off, you know?”

“So the NFL owners are fighting two fights. They are fighting a lockout fight, and they could be fighting the rise of the other leagues. They make themselves vulnerable the longer this lockout goes on.’’

That sort of quote is music to the ears of those in the UFL.  The other leagues won’t be able to pilfer a ton of top-level NFL talent, but an increasing amount of players could start to jump ship in the NFL starts to miss regular season games.

In the meantime, Babin plans to train in another sport entirely.  He is starting to begin mixed martial arts training, and could participate in a MMA fight this offseason if all goes well.

Oh yeah, and he has a bear-hunting trip in Alaska scheduled in April.

Someone get this dude a reality show.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Jason Babin’s lockout plans: MMA training, bear hunting, and possibly joining the UFL”
  1. jakek2 says: Mar 16, 2011 1:34 PM

NFLPA seems stronger than ever and that is a GREAT sign!

I haven’t heard of one player yet who seems to be chickening out.

Stay strong men!

2. clayshair says: Mar 16, 2011 1:37 PM

What Babin doesn’t realize is that we pay to follow our teams, which we have followed for many years, not to follow Jason Babin (who I have never heard of until this article.)

3. chapnastier says: Mar 16, 2011 1:46 PM

If I owned an NFL team I would say go for it and bring in the top talent from those leagues before the former union players get a chance to go to another league.

4. pigskin28 says: Mar 16, 2011 1:46 PM

Ha! Good luck getting 59.6% share from the UFL and have it equate what you now make in tthe NFL….all you would do is jeopardize your health for aloy less than yoi ate now making and prove the Nfl’s point.

5. 4evrnyt says: Mar 16, 2011 1:46 PM

I’m not sure why I’m even supposed to care about this.

6. jerseydevil856 says: Mar 16, 2011 1:55 PM

jakek2 – still heralding the plight of the poor millionaire union members and that is NOT a great sign!!!

And I agree with you clayshair…this is just another example of the players ignorance in realizing that an overwhelming majority of the fans will follow whoever is on their NFL team, not them. They are replaceable parts of the cog that makes the wheel go round.

I for one would rather pay to see a guy with maybe less talent (but a helluva lot more heart and desire to make the most of this opportunity) instead of pampered, crybaby millionaires. Bring on Shane Falco.

7. thumper00 says: Mar 16, 2011 1:57 PM

Go ahead babin maybe the 125,000 a season in the cfl can pay your mortgage ……you players are realy dilusional and so full of yourselves…
    GO PLEASE……………………..

8. Patriot42 says: Mar 16, 2011 1:58 PM

Sounds like a plan. Why don’t you sign a long term deal to play in the CFL.

9. shaggeez says: Mar 16, 2011 2:09 PM

I hope he’s not suggesting that he’s a high-profile guy?

10. mick730 says: Mar 16, 2011 2:12 PM

I also agree with Clayshair. The vast majority of fans have loyalty to their teams. The Players come and go.

The Luddite’s posting on here don’t really care about the NFL or the players, they are ideologues who simple want the flailing and rapidly disintegrating American labor movement to have some kind of victory.

Does a football fan really want the NFL to be weakened simply so multi-millionaire players can make even more money? I don’t think so.

11. jakek2 says: Mar 16, 2011 2:13 PM

Republi-crites out in full force I see.

First, you all say that employees should be entrepreneurial if they don’t like working conditions.

Now, you give them crap when they threaten to become entrepreneurial by taking their talents to a new league.

Dimwits all of you….

By the way….if the NFL stocked their teams with scrubs ala NFL Europe, you Republi-crites will all Ebay your worthless Jake Delhomme jerseys and follow the first UFL team that resembles a real pro team.

Sure, it would take the UFL a year or two. After that, they’d be the powerhouse the NFL is. Know why? Fans are dummies.

12. eagleswin says: Mar 16, 2011 2:15 PM

You know, now that you mention it. Ownership of a UFL team only costs $30 million. Chump change for Manning, Brady, Brees. Why don’t they become owners in that league and show the NFL owners how easy they have it. They could run their teams the way they think those teams should be run and deal with the UFL players as they see fit. They could try to negotiate their own TV contracts and stadium deals. It must be easy. If Manning, Brees, and Brady are irreplacable i’m sure the NFL will fold without them and then the UFL can take over.

13. kotcha23 says: Mar 16, 2011 2:17 PM

Be careful with the MMA training…Jared Allen took it up in the offseason last year and his sacks fell off the table.

14. oldbyrd says: Mar 16, 2011 2:19 PM

The Philadelphia Eagles cut this guy. Thanks McMutt

15. FoozieGrooler says: Mar 16, 2011 2:21 PM

“I know those leagues would love to grow their awareness and if they got a certain amount of high-profile guys to join in,”

OK but, you’re not exactly a “high-profile” guy.
    Fact is, until this article I never heard of ya…

16. rpiotr01 says: Mar 16, 2011 2:24 PM

Someone is really missing the forest for the trees here.

Also, I don’t care too much for bear hunting either.

17. diamonddave13 says: Mar 16, 2011 2:32 PM

Are some of you clowns being paid by NBC to post here? Ragging on the players is the exact thing the owners want and if some of you had an ounce of intelligence you’d realize that that’s the case.

Babin is certainly a big profile…12 1/2 sacks will do that…and if you havent heard of him then you should go watch the NBA. Personally, I hope he goes to the UFL or Canada and the owners can squirm in their empty luxury boxes.

18. jakek2 says: Mar 16, 2011 2:36 PM

jerseydevil -

How about that $5,000 PSL you just bought thinking that entitled you to purchase tickets to watch pro-caliber talent.

Are you still gonna be loyal?

19. CJ says: Mar 16, 2011 2:45 PM

jakek2,

Dude how did this get political exactly? Not all “republic-ates” as you would call them are on the Owner’s side.

20. clayshair says: Mar 16, 2011 2:59 PM

Let’s do an experiment.

All the UFL guys come to the NFL and all the NFL guys go to the UFL.

I will be at the NFL game on Sunday.

21. jerseydevil856 says: Mar 16, 2011 4:03 PM

jakek2 says: Mar 16, 2011 2:36 PM

jerseydevil – Players are replaceable as cogs huh? Are you gonna shell out $600 to take your family of four to see a bunch of security guards dressed up as Jets just because you are loyal to the Jets?

Are you still gonna be loyal?

**************************************

I don’t take my family now to see the Mannings and the Brady’s, dimwit. Wanna know why? Because the freakin’ athletes who need more than the next guy at their position get paid by the asinine owners who think it’s ok to pass those costs on to me, and that I’ll just keep on payin’.

But to answer your question, yes…I will be loyal to my team. Do you think I blinked an eye when McNabb replaced Cunningham? When Vick replaced McNabb? Did the people of New England not sleep for years because Bledsoe left and a little known guy by the name of Brady took over?

Say it with me jake…replaceable.

22. jerseydevil856 says: Mar 16, 2011 4:08 PM

Oh and Jake…since you’re intent on the fact that the players are never at fault, let’s do a little exercise here (and yes, I wrote this in another thread, but it applies here).

Let’s say you and I were going to start a business partnership. You are the actual owner of the business and are going to handle the organizational side of everything, and I was going to be a “non-contributing partner” meaning that I was going to run the talent side and be the one who the clients paid to see.

Now let’s say that we agreed up front that myself and my team (lets say 9 other people for simplicity sake) were going to get 60% of the revenues. You and your staff (equivalent to the coaches, staff and all the front office people including the ticket salespeople and secretaries) were going to get 40%. But because you were going to pay for all of the expenditures of the business, I was going to allow you to keep a percentage “off the top” equivalent to that $1 billion the owners get. Most people will say that it’s 1/9th of the pie, or 11%…but not so fast. That billion is split between 32 organizations; we need the amount for just our organization. So 11% divided by 32 is 0.0034%, which is what we’ll use for our calculations here.

Let’s assume we had a good year in business; we did $10 million in sales revenues. So right from the start, your 0.0034% is $34,000 (hold onto that figure, we’ll visit it later).

Now, myself and my “team” get 60% of the remaining $9,966,000, so we’re pocketing $5,979,600 between the 10 of us – a cool $597,960 each. Not too shabby…we’re over halfway to being millionaires.

You, on the other hand, have to take your share and deduct those pesky little expenses. But don’t forget to add that whopping $34,000 back in…so you now have $4,034,000 to work with. And to make sure we’re doing this correctly, let’s make sure to use the actual percentage amounts that were allocated towards each expenditure, which I pulled from the public Green Bay filings. Those expenses include:

- Game expenses (think of this as building costs, rent, operations & maintenance)
    - Team Expenses (Anything else related to the team OTHER than salaries, such as benefits, travel expenses, etc)
    - Marketing (the staff and operational expenses for this department)
    - General & Administrative (your office staff, coaching staff, plus any other expenses – like the taxes Uncle Sam wants – that don’t fit into one of the categories above)

Now according to the 2010 Packers financials, these expenses were shown to be 96% of the Total Operating Income of the Green Bay Packers. Now, as football fans, I think we can agree that the Packers are not regarded as one of the more frivolously spending organizations. And since they are a public entity, their books are wide open for all to see, so I don’t expect them to be throwing money around carelessly. And even though they’re a small-market team, they are one of the more popular teams out there. So we’ll use that figure here and consider it to be a pretty realistic baseline. As such, 96% of your $4,034,000 is $3,872,640 that goes bye-bye to pay for all of the expenses.

This means you, Jake – as the owner of our little venture – have made an overall profit of $161,360 – or approximately 0.016% of the $10 MILLION dollar revenue that your company made this year.

Congratulations – this means that as the owner of the business, you’ll make in just under four years what I made in one. But don’t count that money so fast, dude, because the trends are showing that while we expect revenues to grow 5.5% annually we also expect that costs and expenditures will grow at 11.8% annually. But hey, that doesn’t matter to me or the rest of my “team”, because most of us only expect to be here 3-4 years on the average.

So, jake…I only have one question for you…when are we going into business together, cause I sure as hell love the deal that I’m getting.

23. indyeagle says: Mar 16, 2011 4:10 PM

Truth is, players careers average about 3.5 years. So, all the players in the NFL could migrate north of the boarder and play for peanuts while the league starts anew with college players. Of course these players would play in the NFL, even if the cap was ONLY $165 million. Within 4 years, the NFL would have all the talent again and the CFL (or UFL if that is where they choose to go) would be full of has-beens.

Oh, and yes, I would pay to see my team play. Regardless of who is wearing the uniform.

The owners have made an effort to negotiate out of their crappy deal into a less crappy deal. The players want everything or nothing. I’m 100% behind the owners and, at this point, I hope the players get screwed in court. All this time, all I’ve heard from the players is “open your books”. Well, the owners called their bluff and the players ran and hid. Not surprising, it was their plan all along.

24. indyeagle says: Mar 16, 2011 4:12 PM

*border*

25. thefiesty1 says: Mar 16, 2011 4:26 PM

Go ahead and try to live off an MMA salary or making money bear hunting. Dope.

26. richc111 says: Mar 16, 2011 4:27 PM

Funny, he got paid 600K in 2009 and could sign a big deal for a lot more but they turn that down to play in another league for probably 10% of that. I’m not a genius but if I was in business 101 I would take the 600K+. But that’s just a normal guy, and I’m not a NFL football player so maybe it would be different if I was

27. dkeyser says: Mar 16, 2011 5:07 PM

@ Jersey Devil….

That was more than likely the most thought out explanation on this that i have seen on this site. In fact it was more thought out than most of the “News Articles” on here…Kudos to you!!

As for Babin..who cares where he goes. He had 12.5 sacks in a contract year. He’s a flash in the pan. His 18 sacks in 6 previous years and his stints 6 different teams prove that.

28. mick730 says: Mar 16, 2011 5:12 PM

Hey Jake,

Would you pay to take your family of four to a high school stadium in any given locale to watch the NFLPA stage a scrimmage with their own uniforms and their own monickers? Say, the Indianapolis Teamsters? The Cleveland AFL-CIOs, the Detroit Trumkas? I’m not talking a one time fundrasing thing for the “union brotherhood”, but PSLs, season tickets, the whole nine yards? I sorta doubt it. I mean, if it’s all about the “players”, then the NFLPA should just be able to get the same amount of money paid to them for showing up anyplace to put on a demonstration of football, right? Certainly, you and the rest of your “union brothers” across the country will be more than happy to shell out 4.5 billions dollars to watch these “players” put on a show, right?
    ‘We don’t need no stinkin NFL, no tradition, no history, we just need the union!’ Solidarity Forever! Comradship! Revolution! Viva Che! Viva Fidel!

Morons.

Players come and go. Each and every one of them is replaceable. Did the Packers collapse after Favre left? Did the decades long season ticket list get any shorter when Rodgers took over? Real NFL fans are loyal to their teams, not to the totally replaceable cogs who make up a roster at any given point in time.

29. nflpasux says: Mar 16, 2011 5:42 PM

Thanks to NFL players like Babin, the term “dumb jock” is still alive & kicking.

Hopefully, another couple hundred players, NFLPA attorneys, and some union goons will follow his lead to join the UFL or CFL, so we can be rid of the union pestilence, to get on with playing football.

30. jakek2 says: Mar 16, 2011 6:11 PM

jerseydevil -

1) As far as our little partnership. Even assuming for the sake of argument your numbers are right (and that is a huge assumption because of no. 2 below), if you are the talent behind our venture and without you I would have NOTHING, then by all means….my agreeing to that deal acknowledges how important I value your involvement in the partnership. If I can get your level of performance elsewhere at a fraction of the price, then…if I’m able to do so under our contract, I will terminate you.

2) As far as your loyalty to the Eagles. Now I understand the level of person I am debating because all fans know Eagles’ fans aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed. Comparing the change of McNabb to Vick with the change of Vick to the guy who puts the toppings on your Subway sandwich is like comparing apples and oranges. If you are willing to pay $600 to bring your family of 4 to watch the Subway sandwich topping guy throw passes to the guy who scoops deer carcasses off the side of Rt. 195 then clearly you’re priorities are f-ed up (or you’re as rich as Donald Trump). Otherwise, it just shows that you’re a TARD.

31. jakek2 says: Mar 16, 2011 6:15 PM

jerseydevil –

Also, when I talk about “loyalty”, obviously I am only talking about the person who has season tickets and shells out $600 per week ($100×4, plus parking, tailgating, foam finger, etc.). Sitting at home watching scabs for free on your local tv station is not what I mean for purposes of this debate. If people aren’t “loyal” and don’t go to the games at $600 a pop, the games are blacked out and you will be sitting on your couch on Sunday watching figure skating.

32. jakek2 says: Mar 16, 2011 6:30 PM

mick –

There would not have been all that tradition and history without the players. Don’t forget it.

And no…I’m not paying $600 a week to see “tradition and history” in the form of grocery baggers wearing my (former) team’s colors. If you’re dumb enough to pay for that, I’m sure the owners will build a special luxury box at the 50 yd line just for you.

As far as the “demonstration on football”, now you’re being silly. I never said anything about supporting a union league that only played exhibitions. If they formed a true competitive league, sure I’d watch. Who doesn’t want to see the best of the best compete against each other besides you and your Jerry Jones’ lovin’ bozo friends who’d rather watch scrubs just because they’re wearing an NFL jersey.

By the way, the players could just about name their teams the “Union-Giants”, “Union-49ers”, “Union-Cowboys”, etc., have just about the same colors and insignias as they do now without violating copyright/trademark, and play their games in college stadiums within an earshot of the NFL stadiums. Trust me…in this scenario, you’d forget all about the tradition and history.

33. jerseydevil856 says: Mar 16, 2011 6:45 PM

dkeyser says: Mar 16, 2011 5:07 PM

@ Jersey Devil….

******************************************

Thank you, dkeyser. I’m anxiously awaiting his response so I can poke a ton of holes in any of the financially-doomed theories or responses he’ll likely provide.

34. jerseydevil856 says: Mar 16, 2011 7:03 PM

jakek2 says: Mar 16, 2011 6:11 PM

jerseydevil -

**************************************

Jake, THANK you for making my argument for me. My numbers are right; I run my own business and trust me, I can read a P&L (that’s a Profit & Loss Statement, in case you were wondering).

Here’s the Packers balance sheet:

By all means, check my numbers. I did. Twice. And when your next argument is that it’s only one team, let’s look at that. There are only a handful of “big-market” teams in the NFL. New England, Dallas, both NY clubs, Dallas, Philadelphia and Washington. Hell, let’s throw in Miami and Chicago too. That’s 9 out of 32. There’s a few mid-market clubs…San Diego, Tennessee, New Orleans. The rest are small market clubs, like the Packers.

Now, I’d venture to say that if the Packers – with a payroll thats not the highest, nor with all those brand new stadium costs since they just renovate Lambeau – are having financial difficulties (i.e. a downward trend), you can bet your ass the other clubs are having the same since they have higher payrolls and sharp new stadiums.

I’d also say that the Packers – since they are a publicly traded company – are probably more financially prudent that the other clubs. So again, if they’re having problems…what makes you think the other clubs aren’t??

But hey…your last sentence is perfect…”If I can get your level of performance elsewhere at a fraction of the price, then…if I’m able to do so under our contract, I will terminate you.” BINGO. I’m sure right now the owners would love to do this…but that little monopoly thing gets in the way. So they’re forced to either take a crap deal (which they won’t, I’m sure of it)…or they will fight to right the ship and make the league profitable and viable for them and the players.

As for your #2 point…again, you are living in a dreamworld. You assume that the Subway worker who has no skills will be my teams next QB. Son, hate to tell you…there’s a ton of players out there in college with good skills. Some would not get drafted because they’re not the best…some will get drafted and be backups. Some may come from small programs and with some guidance could become damn good. It would take all of 2 years for the NFL to replace their talent, which would include those NFLPA players who won’t want to play in Canada. Bank on it.

35. jerseydevil856 says: Mar 16, 2011 7:19 PM

jakek2 says: Mar 16, 2011 6:30 PM

***************************************

Hey jake, just out of curiosity….who would organize all these events? Who would market them? Who would coach the teams? Who handles the phone calls to sell tickets? Who gets the uniforms and the field and all the equipment ready? How about insurance on the players? How about security at the event?

Someone needs to coordinate all this stuff….oh right…the owners do. Silly me for thinking they might want to get paid for it.

36. jerseydevil856 says: Mar 16, 2011 7:59 PM

Oh and jake…one more thing…I want to make sure I don’t leave any stone unturned…

You mentioned that in our little partnership that was detailed above, “if you are the talent behind our venture and without you I would have NOTHING, then by all means….my agreeing to that deal acknowledges how important I value your involvement in the partnership”. Ah, great theory, because after all…some is better than none, right?

Now, let’s say that to fund this venture (since you’re the only one funding it; I’m just the talent) you had to put up, say, a few million dollars of your own money and that of your investment group. As smart businessmen, I’m sure you’re all going to want to see a nice return on that investment….especially since you’re really the ones taking all the risk. And you’re looking at the books and you’re seeing that expenditures are growing more rapidly than profits. Uh oh. What to do??

I know. Let’s just keep charging our customers more every year. In fact, let’s make them buy a license which will then allow them to buy our product! Brilliant, I say!

And through it all, the folks who represent me and my team are whispering that it’s all okay…we keep reminding you that our revenues were $10 million last year!!! But really, we don’t care what happens 10, 15 years down the road. We have no vested investment in this enterprise. We’ll be set for life.

Oh, and did I mention that as members of our team move on and retire…those who will be replacing them (we’ll call them the rookies) will actually want more than what the highest paid member of the team already makes…just cause we’re making it. Now they haven’t proven themselves at all, but I expect you to pay it.

It’s a doomed business model, Jake. I said it before, I’ll say it again…it’s not IF it will fail, it’s WHEN. You fault the owners for wanting more out of their investment and for it’s long term health….yet I find it highly ironic that you already have had the thought in this fictitious venture of replacing me if you could.

37. droksid says: Mar 16, 2011 8:32 PM

Jersey hit the nail on the head.

The players keep saying they’ll be taking a pay cut when in fact they’d still be making more money based on what the NFL has done to increase the popularity of the league.

Sure players are exciting but they have pretty short shelf lives and, as the draft proves every year, are replaceable.

It’s obnoxious to see people blindly in favor of the NFLPA* because its a union. The NFL is a business that pays ridiculous amounts of money to people who, realistically, can catch, run, run into, and throw well.

The players themselves can be unreliable, too. Many players hold out due to feelings of entitlement. Many players play half heartedly. Many players break the law.

And yet they still recieve millions of dollars because of athletic ability.

Excuse me when I’m offended that they believe they are entitled to a raise. And its not just that they aren’t getting a raise its that they’re not getting enough of a raise since the last proposal would have netted the players an additional $2 billion dollars.

38. certtified49er says: Mar 16, 2011 8:35 PM

Sometimes I wonder if some of these other bloggers are actually being paid by the NFL. They think, act and sound like the NFL owners. All they care about is their beloved football teams. They definitely don’t care about players no matter how much charity or non-profit work they do. Yep, treat them just like another tool. When there no longer useful just pay for a shiny new one. Out with the old in with the new . They are a just a bunch of dumb greedy jocks anyway, right? SMDH!

39. jerseydevil856 says: Mar 16, 2011 9:19 PM

certtified49er says: Mar 16, 2011 8:35 PM

**************************************

Certified, I give up, you caught me. I am Jerry Jones, and in between botox treatments I sit around this website all day. And I also pay people to come on here and express my viewpoints (eye roll).

Look, during times of unrest, the owners are gonna protect their turf and the players will look out for their main interests. Its human nature. But don’t kid yourself that the owners don’t maybe have personal friendships with some of the players. Hell, Bowlen and Elway have a mutual respect that has transcended Elway’s playing career. Brady and Kraft seem tight.

The problem is that the players are never going to win the fans support in this war. They’re being unrealistic, and the fans ain’t stupid.