Former Pro Bowl receiver hospitalized with “brain-related condition”

houston-oilers-drew-hill-95-topps-1989-nfl-american-football-trading-card-37525-p

Receiver Drew Hill, a two-time Pro Bowler who played for the Rams, Oilers (now the Titans), and Falcons, has been hospitalized in Atlanta with a “brain-related condition,” according to Len Pasquarelli of The Sports Xchange.

Per the report, Hill is in “very serious condition.”

Hill, 54, became ill on a golf course.  He was diagnosed with high blood pressure at a local hospital, and he was released.  He later experienced headaches, and he was readmitted.

Source close to the family advise Pasquarelli that Hill is being treated for a stroke or an aneurysm.

Hill entered the league in 1979 with the Rams, and he retired after the 1993 season.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Former Pro Bowl receiver hospitalized with “brain-related condition””
  1. iknowfootballandyoudont says: Mar 18, 2011 9:50 PM

OMG
    My prayers and best wishes go out to Mr. Hill and his family and friends

2. deadmanwalking47 says: Mar 18, 2011 9:55 PM

another man who entertained us all but is obviously not gonna live a long time because of it!
    sad,sad,sad story.

3. berniemadoffsides says: Mar 18, 2011 10:09 PM

I hope he pulls through – you hate to read stories like this one.

4. oldbyrd says: Mar 18, 2011 10:11 PM

A terrific Pro. Im sure every one wishes him well. God bless you Drew

5. skoobyfl says: Mar 18, 2011 10:16 PM

Why not extend the high-power hits for 18 regular games, right? What’s the worst that can happen ?? This.

Split the gold lot & play ball.

6. cup1981 says: Mar 18, 2011 11:02 PM

I hate to hear stories like this. Good luck Drew, hopefully everything come out okay!

7. shakago says: Mar 18, 2011 11:05 PM

Very sad. He and his family are in my prayers.

8. dixon29 says: Mar 18, 2011 11:09 PM

An aneurysm is truly scary if that is what it is. I will say a prayer for him and his loved ones.

He was truly an amazing talent for the Oilers back in the day.

Get well soon.

9. idolized1 says: Mar 18, 2011 11:19 PM

I just read comments that said things like –

“My prayers and best wishes go out to Mr. Hill and his family and friends”

“I hope he pulls through – you hate to read stories like this one.”

and

“A terrific Pro. Im sure every one wishes him well. God bless you Drew”

What I want to know is who was the stupid idiot who went through each one and disliked them?

I mean really, a man could be dying and you are disliking comments that wish him well?

10. cover2blitz0 says: Mar 18, 2011 11:34 PM

isnt this one of the guys that was in that ram it video way back? big daddy hill I think it was? lol… either way best of luck to him and his family

11. txtuff says: Mar 18, 2011 11:47 PM

Enjoyed watching this guy play the game! Moon to Hill wasd a great thing to watch. Prayers to him and his family!!

On a side note, nobody has said this is related to playing football. Strokes/aneurysm can happen to just about anybody at anytime.

12. tjtalk says: Mar 19, 2011 12:03 AM

Poor guy… hope he gets better.

It’s impossible to say whether or not this is related to football. At age 54, these kinds of things can happen to anyone.

13. knew8411 says: Mar 19, 2011 12:04 AM

God Bless…I pray for a speedy recovery & comfort for those closest to Mr. Hill

14. dolphinatic says: Mar 19, 2011 12:10 AM

Hate to see it happen to anyone, let alone a class act as I have read he is. God Bless.

15. Deb says: Mar 19, 2011 12:26 AM

Oh no. Before I became a regular PFT reader, a lot of these stories slipped past me. Now I’m so much more aware of players suffering these debilitating issues at such young ages. I remember Hill’s years with the Oilers; he was a fine receiver. God bless him and his family. I pray his treatment will be successful.

16. preseasonchamps08 says: Mar 19, 2011 12:57 AM

iknowfootballandyoudont says: Mar 18, 2011 9:50 PM

OMG
    My prayers and best wishes go out to Mr. Hill and his family and friends
    ——————————————————
    Why in the world would anybody give this comment a “thumbs down?” Seems like somebody could say that world peace is a good idea and it would get a few of those on this site…

17. vomitingliberals says: Mar 19, 2011 4:58 AM

I’m very sorry to hear this, but also hopeful that he makes a full recovery. I’ll be praying for you, Mr. Hill, may the love, comfort, and healing of our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ be with you and those who love you in this great time of need.

God bless!

18. joetoronto says: Mar 19, 2011 7:20 AM

idolized1:

There’s a couple of atheists here who troll around, looking for any comments with “God” or “prayers” in it.

I guess it’s what we should expect from Godless people.

19. fedupsaintsfan says: Mar 19, 2011 7:42 AM

Many prayers!!!

20. hyerye says: Mar 19, 2011 8:49 AM

I used to love this guy in Tecmo Bowl. Best wishes

21. dan39564 says: Mar 19, 2011 9:15 AM

I know many people, men and women, who never played football, who have had Blood Pressure induced anurisms and strokes.

Some have recovered, some have lasting effects,
    some of us live through daily medication.

Everyone over 40 should have regular BP checks.

But I pray that Drew Hill recovers, has a long life!

22. ajtexans says: Mar 19, 2011 9:28 AM

Hill, Givins, Jeffires, Duncan … those guys put up some serious numbers w/Moon and the Oilers back in the day.

Hill is still #2 in receiving yards and TDs for that franchise.

Get well soon 85.

23. chc4 says: Mar 19, 2011 11:25 AM

For all those jumping to conclusions, a brain aneurysm is totally random and would have nothing to do with his playing career. Stroke is typically caused by high blood pressure so it is likely unrelated to his profession too. Not every ex-player that gets ill/dies young is due to injuries/trama incurred while playing. Accountants, lawyers and janitors die of the same things every day.

24. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Mar 19, 2011 12:42 PM