Heath Evans: I wish I had Adrian Peterson’s talent, but he’s an idiot

Heath Evans

As people in and around the NFL continue reacting to Adrian Peterson’s comparison of the owners’ treatment of the players to “modern-day slavery,” Saints fullback Heath Evans has given a particularly critical assessment of the wisdom of Peterson’s words.

“I wish I had the athletic ability of AP’s like little finger,” Evans said on WEEI, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “Alright. But he’s an idiot, and what he said was moronic at best.”

Evans said he thinks the owners are licking their chops every time a player says the wrong thing, such as when players like Nick Collins and Antonio Cromartie say players should attend the draft at a time when the NFLPA* is saying players should avoid the draft.

“What we have to avoid is the Nick Collins comment, the Cromartie,” Evans said. “And those comments, they hurt us. And ultimately that is what the owners are banking on.”

Evans is right that players publicly making boneheaded or divisive statements can only help the owners’ side. Which might be a good reason for Evans not to call his fellow players idiots.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Heath Evans: I wish I had Adrian Peterson’s talent, but he’s an idiot”
  1. kegpack says: Mar 18, 2011 6:34 AM

Keep talking morons…

2. b7p19 says: Mar 18, 2011 6:37 AM

Yeah, I’m not sure that trashing those guys shows much solidarity either.

3. iainnyj says: Mar 18, 2011 6:52 AM

He’s all for solidarity, so long as everyone agrees to agree with what *he* thinks.

4. leucas66 says: Mar 18, 2011 6:58 AM

Public/fan reaction has no impact on what will happen with this case. What the players say to reporters will have no impact. This is all about the courts now.

If fans counted, this would have been resolved a long time ago.

5. pftidiot says: Mar 18, 2011 6:59 AM

Over under on Cromartie responding via twitter within 24 hours about kicking Evans a$$?

6. scudbot says: Mar 18, 2011 7:01 AM

In reality none of this matters except it might put an overall dent in jersey sales. It’s in the hands of the court and the lawyers. But we don’t have football and there’s this ever-growing multi-car pileup that we can’t keep from looking at. I wonder how long it’ll be before somebody pulls the race card out and slams it down.

7. dldavidlong says: Mar 18, 2011 7:02 AM

i wouldn’t want the talent in his fingers. he cant hold on to the ball.

8. Kave Krew says: Mar 18, 2011 7:08 AM

I’m glad he said it…..it helps divide the troops

I respect that he said it……takes some fortitude to say it like it is

I think he said it as professionally as one can without going over to the name calling b slapping side……

Now shut up and get back to the table

9. chapnastier says: Mar 18, 2011 7:10 AM

Well said Heath. Glad one of you is smart enough to speak the truth. I wish I had the forum to tell Peterson and Mendenhall they were idiots too.

10. mistrezzrachael says: Mar 18, 2011 7:21 AM

Heath Evans is not only a good football player, but excellent person…and has an IQ.

I think he went a little soft on AP however..idiot is mild.

11. EJ says: Mar 18, 2011 7:25 AM

C’mon, an NFL player making a bonehead decision, who would of thought?

12. jc1958cool says: Mar 18, 2011 7:33 AM

divide and conquer! that’s what the owners want,evans is a wanna bee, he’s the loser idiot!

13. burntorangehorn says: Mar 18, 2011 7:33 AM

*clap clap*

Heath Evans, get out of my head.

14. phinsfan66 says: Mar 18, 2011 7:43 AM

What Petersen said is idiotic, at best, but yet again we hear from Heath Evans, why? Who is Heath Evans? first you quote him on his assessment of the Dolphins new offensive coordinator, and now he gets quoted again here… I could care less what heath Evans has to say… What has he ever done to warrant paying any attention to him?

15. bingocostello says: Mar 18, 2011 7:48 AM

good critique heath!

16. kingbattle says: Mar 18, 2011 7:53 AM

Oh no AP!!! The all mighty Heath Evans has spoke.. Please bow down to a no name full back that has the talent of an average fat guy sitting in his couch watching the games like the rest of the fans.. I guess AP should’ve bitten his tongue.. Oh well..

17. cidman2001 says: Mar 18, 2011 8:18 AM

I’m a lifelong Vikings fan, but I admire Heath Evans for being honest. That said, I think the players can bicker all they want and it won’t make one iota to the fans (come football season) or the current CBA negotiations. What are the owners going to do, say they want more money because AP is an idiot and Heat Evans has a big mouth? Who cares…..

18. knucklebucket says: Mar 18, 2011 8:23 AM

kingbattle says:
    Mar 18, 2011 7:53 AM

__________________________________

He’s got one more superbowl ring than your “fat guy sitting on his couch” ass doesn’t he.

19. Kaz says: Mar 18, 2011 8:27 AM

Playing the greatest sport on earth and making 6 and 7 figures a year while doing so is modern day slavery? Where do I go to turn myself in?

20. riverhorsey says: Mar 18, 2011 8:31 AM

the players popping off and making stupid comments only makes them look bad.

at least Evans was man enough to say so.

21. zaggs says: Mar 18, 2011 8:31 AM

Its not the talking Heath, its the shootings, gun charges, and credit card scams that will hurt the players. It aint billionaires against millionaires. Its multi-millionaires against criminal millionaires.

22. blahhhh68 says: Mar 18, 2011 8:31 AM

to kingbattle/phinsfan:

Heath Evans is the guy who isn’t trying desperately to stir up racial disharmony in an effort to garner sympathy.
    Peterson and his supporters who back his ignorant statements are what is known as “useful idiots”.
    Nowadays people wear their victimhood like a child wears a warm blanket.

23. grinderwi says: Mar 18, 2011 8:38 AM

dldavidlong says:
    i wouldn’t want the talent in his fingers. he cant hold on to the ball.

AP didn’t fumble once this past season, get over it and give the guy credit for working it out. Now he just needs to quit talking like his lips don’t fit. One step at a time I guess.

24. snowpea84 says: Mar 18, 2011 8:56 AM

That’s because Evans is jsut some white boy, he doesnt remember what it was like to be a slave on a plantation like Peterson does.

25. pspring63 says: Mar 18, 2011 8:58 AM

Not to mention the Andy Warhol axiom of 15 minutes of fame, Heath Evans is just one large, dressed po-boy away from the UFL or categorical unemployment. Keep it zipped and let the process play out. BTW, what percentage of fantasy teams is he on?

26. 8man says: Mar 18, 2011 9:00 AM

Nice!

27. rmm1984 says: Mar 18, 2011 9:08 AM

It’s funny that there are people who are dismissing what Evans said based on his football playing ability. That makes no sense, how would that make his point or opinion in this instance any less valid? What your saying is it doesn’t matter what the person says basically if they’re a good football player you agree with them.

28. hobbstweedle says: Mar 18, 2011 9:13 AM

What I don’t get is the commenters here (and at the original post) defending Peterson – and, by extension, Mendenhall – when they reek of stupidity.

No slave has ever had the choice of walking away.

29. dryzzt23 says: Mar 18, 2011 9:30 AM

I am proud of Heath for coming out and saying this.

30. stonedwhitetrash says: Mar 18, 2011 9:36 AM

NFL players are not slaves, they are prostitutes that will play for any team that pays them.

31. northeastern31 says: Mar 18, 2011 9:37 AM

It’s funny because without a deal in place and with all this drama going on the players cant seem to get it together. You dont hear Kraft calling Jones an idiot. Or older owners coming out of the woodwork telling the current owners to accept the deal because they could use some of the help that was promised. These bozo’s need Goodell….they are acting like a snake with its head cut off.

But Evans is right , AP is a total idiot. xD

32. danimalk82 says: Mar 18, 2011 9:37 AM

I agree the slavery comment was moronic at best, but so was walking away from the bargaining table. The incoming rookies shouldn’t have to stand up for something you “morons” did. Answering the phone, walking the stage, and taking pictures w/ their new team’s jersey & Goodell is a harmless symbol that represents extraordinary individual success in a football players life. It’s rare & only happens once for a single player and I wouldn’t give it up because a bunch of “morons” chose to sue rather than talk it out.

33. rugdog100 says: Mar 18, 2011 9:41 AM

Is Evans a valley girl? ““Like I wish,I like had the like athletic ability of like AP’s like little finger.”

34. tv426 says: Mar 18, 2011 9:45 AM

Good job Heath!

35. alanschech says: Mar 18, 2011 10:01 AM

He’s right……the comment couldn’t have been dumber.

36. breeshasabush says: Mar 18, 2011 10:10 AM

charlie sheen at nose tackle!!

37. sterling7 says: Mar 18, 2011 10:26 AM

Hey Adrian, how about just concentrating on what little brain power you have to help find a quarterback. You’re not a doctor or an orator or a plumber (at least they plug up leaks unfortunately not the your mouth), just shut up and run………….and hang onto the ball, thanks!

38. danimalk82 says: Mar 18, 2011 10:34 AM

rugdog100 says: Mar 18, 2011 9:41 AM

Like totally.

39. jetsjetsjetsjets says: Mar 18, 2011 10:35 AM

If i were a player and i had a contract to make $X million this year, i would want to get paid. not sure how the union is helping me right now. i only see hurt.

To be clear, i am not sure how getting more “money” from the owners impacts my current contract???!!!

Where does the billion requested go? is it to a higher salary cap? makes no sense.

40. Al Davis says: Mar 18, 2011 10:40 AM

Was this taken out of context also?

41. mksnpcola says: Mar 18, 2011 10:44 AM

Truth is one thing, talent is another. One has nothing to do with the other. In this day of instant messaging everyone, if you say something STUPID, expect to be called on it. That’s all this is. Look at the comments on all the stories about AP’s quotes. They are better than 97% all agreed that his is in fact wrong in his comparison of Slavery and being under contract to an NFL team. Does it surprise me that it’s not 100%? NO, there are a lot of idiots that roam among us.

42. garyln7 says: Mar 18, 2011 10:51 AM

At the end of the day he is right…..AP and others are foolish.

43. klunge says: Mar 18, 2011 11:19 AM

jetsjetsjetsjets says:
    Mar 18, 2011 10:35 AM

———————————————–
    The union isn’t helping anyone because, at least on paper, it no longer exists.
    Some of that billion does go to increased salary cap, not to mention with a rookie scale in place there could be lots more money for the veterans and high-profile players to split up. Seems to me the only ones who will benefit are those already in line to make big money and play on teams with big-spending owners.

44. tv426 says: Mar 18, 2011 11:21 AM

rugdog100 says: Mar 18, 2011 9:41 AM

Like totally.

The dude said “like”, one time.

But, like, I like, sort of like, agree.

45. rumorhater says: Mar 18, 2011 11:35 AM

Heath Evans, as well as the posters on this blog, -guess what- we are ALL slaves in America, whether you realize it or not!

46. jayniner says: Mar 18, 2011 12:14 PM

If being a SLAVE means a $40 million contract, a huge mansion, exotic cars, beautiful women and never having another worry in life……

Then sign me up!!!!!

47. commandercornpone says: Mar 18, 2011 8:09 PM

swt that was hilarious.

and a hooker without a job, er john, is one broke hooker.

48. EJ says: Mar 30, 2011 7:55 AM

Kaz says:
    Mar 18, 2011 8:27 AM

I second that, where do I sign?