Players calmly take to UStream: “It will be resolved”

S. Hutchinson Getty Images

A number of NFLPA* reps took to UStream on Friday in a series of quick interviews in which they answered questions from fans.

Gone was the inflamed rhetoric that we heard from Drew Brees, Kevin Mawae, and DeMaurice Smith earlier this week.  Instead, the players calmly talked about the issues and even sounded optimistic occasionally.

“It will be resolved,” Steve Hutchinson said about the CBA at one point, in a response to a question about possibly bolting for the CFL.

Yes, it will be resolved.  This is a great point to keep in mind throughout this painful process.  Both Hutchinson and Texans tackle Eric Winston said they didn’t want to leave for any other league because it “wouldn’t be good for the game.”

One thing was clear from the interviews:  Commissioner Roger Goodell’s letter to the players didn’t go over well.

Lions safety Eric Coleman called out Goodell for lies and half-truths in the letter, and said he thought the letter’s intent was to divide the players.  Titans defensive end Jason Babin says a number of players responded to Goodell’s email directly, essentially calling Goodell out.

Overall, the emotion from the last week’s negotiations seems to have subsided.   Perhaps the different tone from the players came because they are in a nice vacation-like setting.   Maybe there was a decision to dial things back a bit.

Either way, they sounded realistic about the issues and even hopeful about getting a deal done.

UPDATE: As a quick aside for our readers: There weren’t many people asking questions Friday.  The NFLPA* plans to do the same thing Saturday.  It’s a good opportunity to have and your voice heard and ask some questions.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
30 Responses to “Players calmly take to UStream: “It will be resolved””
  1. nfl52 says: Mar 18, 2011 1:36 PM

i love how they say that the owners are lying and this and that but dont say exactly what they are lying about. if they are lying, tell us exactly what they are lying about. the players are just greedy. they keep saying “open the books for 10 years”. why should the owners have to do that? they know the owners wont open the books for 10 years, thats why they keep asking. so they can say “all we wanted was to see 10 years and the owners wouldnt give it”.

i really hope the woners win this battle. this is why i could care less who the players are, i root for my team not the players on the team

2. drumzan says: Mar 18, 2011 1:41 PM

Do NFL players have to join the NFLPA to play in the NFL? Or do they have other options?

3. chavo160 says: Mar 18, 2011 1:42 PM

Is it possible that Goodell isn’t telling lies and half-truths in the letter. Is it possible that the NFLPA is telling the players lies and half-truths. Obviously some of the players are not fully aware of what is being said and what is going on. If so then Chester Pitts would have been better informed prior to making all of his comments.

4. FinFan68 says: Mar 18, 2011 1:44 PM

More likely, somebody recognized the utter failure in winning the PR war and made an effort to get a different image out there.

5. duanethomas says: Mar 18, 2011 1:47 PM

The people who post all the pro owners anti-player rhetoric aren’t brave enough to come out behind their screen names and say the same things to the players. Their stupid, greedy, ill- informed, following a idiot etc..Instead like most internet cowards they will stay behind the comfort of their screen names. I was on UStream today and will be tomorrow. I would love to have more people to ask questions and would love even more for the owners to do it as well. The owners won’t and the people on here will not be there tomorrow to say anything negative the players. Now give me a thumbs down, but you won’t show up tomorrow on UStream….LoL

6. pjg1309 says: Mar 18, 2011 1:50 PM

So now I am just ignorant to the plight of the players. I am sorry that I DO NOT feel the least bit sorry for your overpaid butts to complain about your situation. You play a game for goodness sake, and might I add that you are paid very nicely to do it, so if you ever cared about the game of football, and not just all the money you are making, which is what it LOOKS like, get you and all you over paid friends back to the table and get a deal done.

7. srirish says: Mar 18, 2011 1:57 PM

As much as the players seem to get offended that the NFL/Owners suggest that they do not understand the labor situation, you would think they would not be so quick to pass that same attitude on to the fans. It just shows how out of touch so many of these players are.

I, as a fan, am frustrated because so many families are struggling to get by… I mean, REALLY struggling to get by. As in working around which bills to pay this month and which ones to pay next month. And I keep seeing players try to pull on the sympathies of the fans. Your free college ride and minimum 400k(ish) salary cannot compare to my six figure student loans and five figure salary (plus rent, health benefits for the family, etc).

And now we are being told we are angry because we are too stupid to understand the real truths of the labor issue.

Give me a break!

8. goodbyenfl says: Mar 18, 2011 2:02 PM

I have read most of the articles on this site as well others across the internet. And I would love to have someone explain how this fight over 9 billion dollars will effect me as a fan. Have been a fan of NFL football since age 6 (44 years now), I have seen how the sport and business has changed. Right now I am more than a little “disenfranchised” with both sides. At this point NFL and the NFLPA are fighting over how to split 9 billion in “fan” dollars. Having run a business or two in my time, I know that all cost incurred are passed on to the consumer, and in this case the fans. With every added benefit that the league/players add to the pie, we will have increases to park, tickets, jerseys, hotdogs beer, and the lists goes on. So before you go on and support one side or the other, stop and think what this will end up costing you as a consumer/fan.

Now is the time to stop the greed from ruining this sport.

Players, NO business opens its books to employees. And sorry but your garbage union line of “partners” is a fat out lie. You don’t own any part of the NFL, or any team, you are an employee PERIOD. (if I was an Owner, I’d be look at how to make you Independent contractors thus passing of all cost of benefits to…… YOU. If you don’t like your employer, go get a real job for $10 an hour, pay 50% of your health care, and save in a 401k for your retirement. I agree with the Health and safety issues, to a degree. But then again you chose the profession, and should have calculated health risks into the equation before entering the NFL.

Owners wake up and smell the coffee, you are dangerously close to pushing most casual fans out of the sport because of the cost “to be a fan”. Just how long do you think we are going to keep bearing the cost of your stadiums? Then once you have our tax dollars, you gouge us for (PSL) the right to buy tickets??? then constantly jack up prices for everything from a hotdog ($6) to parking. How long do you think the cash cow will last, my own personal feeling are not much longer, you have priced yourself out of the range of casual fans (which is where your revenue grows).

9. wryly1 says: Mar 18, 2011 2:05 PM

We’ve never witnessed a labor force or union act as cool and calm as the players have during a lockout. Owners are squealing like the stuck pigs they are.

10. abr173rd says: Mar 18, 2011 2:13 PM

I just don’t get how the players feel they have the right to see the books, they don’t own the teams and have not invested a penny into creating an NFL team. I am not siding with the owners but the owners are acting like owners. The players get millions of dollars to play football, and in no other place in America when negotiating your salary with your boss would you be able to request that he opens the books…….

11. jliv163 says: Mar 18, 2011 2:14 PM

Is that a real post by a player? “Their stupid, greedy, ill- informed, following a idiot etc..Instead like most internet cowards they will stay behind the comfort of their screen names”

You had at me HELLO! Get outta here I am sure if you stood in a room with fans the majority of them would tell you the truth of they way they feel, not your family, not your NFLPA brothers but the people that pay to watch you play football. Your hubris is why players end up bankrupt after leaving the league and because you make more money in one year that most wont in a lifetime and waste it away.

12. mdpickles says: Mar 18, 2011 2:15 PM

“Mawae said he was aware of fan anger at a lot of the players, but he attributed it to the fans not knowing the full truth of the issues.”
    ^ I think Mawae needs to inform his colleagues in the NFLPA*about the full truth on the issues. (Pitts, Burnett, Cromartie)

13. cdaws84 says: Mar 18, 2011 2:22 PM

Wryly1 I think you have it backwards. I have yet to hear an owner refer to themselves as slaves….or for that matter insult another owner for making such a stupid comment.

14. inthecrowdlax says: Mar 18, 2011 2:29 PM

It will be resolved. The NFLPA just has to accept that they have to bend over and grab their ankles.

15. touchdownroddywhite says: Mar 18, 2011 2:32 PM

“So stop the BS and get to work, or you’ll find that I CAN SPENT MY FOOTBALL DOLLARS ON MY FAVORITE COLLEGE or HIGH SCHOOL TEAM.”

There’s an idea. You know what this would do for almost every high school in America if people took that approach?

@duanethomas

I’m going to do my best to be on there tomorrow, though I’d like to guarantee it.

Not all of us are “internet cowards”. I’ll make sure I give you a shout-out if I can make it.

16. src3346 says: Mar 18, 2011 2:34 PM

You can’t fix stupid!

17. mick730 says: Mar 18, 2011 2:50 PM

“Both Hutchinson and Texans tackle Eric Winston said they didn’t want to leave for any other league because it “wouldn’t be good for the game.””

What a couple of frauds. The reason they won’t go to the CFL or the AFL is because they wouldn’t be paid a fraction of what the NFL is giving them. Spare me your bs.

And there weren’t many “fans” asking questions? What a surprise. I can imagine who these “fans” were in the first place.

18. jackbassett says: Mar 18, 2011 2:54 PM

wryly1 says: Mar 18, 2011 2:05 PM

_________________

Good one, wryly1. I should I say DEMAURICE SMITH.

19. vadog says: Mar 18, 2011 3:14 PM

With all due respect to Steve Hutchinson, the NFLPA* and the NFL, nothing is going to be resolved until someone speaks on behalf of the fans during the negotiations. It’s OUR money that you are arguing over.

Both sides are pissing off the people who spend their money on games, satellite packages, merchandise…and who support the networks who pay the NFL by purchasing products advertised during games!

The only voice of reason that can possibly get a deal done will be the voice that speaks for the fans. If it were me, my first statement to those around the table is “either stop acting like complete morons, or go find REAL jobs; because you’re idiocy is killing professional football!”

20. idriveamoped says: Mar 18, 2011 3:31 PM

duanethomas says: Mar 18, 2011 1:47 PM

The people who LoL

…………………………………………………………………….

Yes I would tell the player they are greedy pigs. What would they do? Hit me? I laugh at that notion. If so, hey I just hit the lottery.

As for this ustream. Why would I bother trying to ask questions that would go through many different filters and screenings just to get an answer.

For instance, it would be a cold day in hell before X player on ustream answers something like, You call out the league and call them liars, but what did they lie about? What was the offer you offered them. Speaking of offers what offers have you proposed? All of those questions would go unanswered. Skipped right over. So why would I waste my time?

21. saints25 says: Mar 18, 2011 3:48 PM

@duanethomas… Most fans work durning the month of March. An the other 11 months… We don’t get 6 months off a year.. Just saying

22. hobartbaker says: Mar 18, 2011 3:49 PM

Players calmly took to Ustream until the current changed and they realized they didn’t have a paddle.

23. catholic9ersfan says: Mar 18, 2011 3:55 PM

———————————————————————————– I’m not going to pretend like a know a whole lot about the CBA situation but I agree with this comment. I enjoy reading all or comments. And for all the Catholics, don’t forget, we can’t eat meat today. God bless all of you

24. catholic9ersfan says: Mar 18, 2011 3:58 PM

**correction** I enjoy reading your comments

25. tdk24 says: Mar 18, 2011 5:03 PM

Dang these players don’t know how good they have it. The more and more this continues the more and more i want to see a scab league again! Is there anything legally stopping the NFL from hiring scabs?

26. bunjy96 says: Mar 18, 2011 5:47 PM

drumzan says: Mar 18, 2011 1:41 PM

***********************
    A question I have asked before and no one, to my knowledge, has answered it.

Some players live and or work in “right to work” states.

Why do they have to join the union?

If each team is in fact a separate entity, those teams in “right to work states” should not have to force their players to join. Tampa, Miami and Jax are prime examples.

So I’ll ask again, anyone have have a “factual/legal” answer?

27. puregreed says: Mar 18, 2011 7:40 PM

duanethomas says:
    Mar 18, 2011 1:47 PM

Blah, Blah, Blah ustream. Of course I wont be there I dont care about the players or talking to them. Just go away all of them Brees, Manning, Peterson, all go away.

See the people who support the players are missing my and most owner supporters point.

If you don’t like the terms leave, the owners own the business and you do not. I believe the fans have spoken and you would think by now the players would get it.

“You didnt make the NFL the NFL made you!” We don’t want you anymore.

“Off with the court jester’s head, bring in another puppet to sing and dance for my amusement”

28. commandercornpone says: Mar 18, 2011 8:05 PM

and, hobart, them paddles are getting ready to be used those players…

why else would all the conciliatory talk be coming from former unioneers unless they have figured out – it isnt going well.

29. idriveamoped says: Mar 18, 2011 8:22 PM

@bunjy96 and druzman

I dont think they have to join the union. LaVar Arrington wasn’t part of the Union was he? If I recall he wasn’t

30. drumzan says: Mar 19, 2011 3:03 PM

@ idriveamoped

Arrington despised the NFLPA and had issues with the NFLPA selling jerseys with his name on it, but I don’t know if he actually was or wasn’t in the union.