Bob McNair thinks deal is coming “before too much damage is done”

San Diego Chargers v Houston Texans Getty Images

American poet Huey Lewis once said that love has the power to “change a hawk to a little white dove.”  For some NFL owners, the possible loss of millions of dollars apparently has a similar impact.

Texans owner Bob McNair, regarded as one of the tough-talking owners hoping to foist a bad deal onto the players, suddenly sounds like a guy wishing for a win-win outcome.

“I think we’re going to get it resolved before too much damage is done,” McNair tells John McClain of the Houston Chronicle.  “We’re going to do everything we can to negotiate an agreement.”

McNair also made a key point that many players may not be considering.  The money the league is losing during the lockout will, in one way or another, be passed along to the players.

“Each month that this thing is delayed, we lose money,” McNair said.  “The players lose money, too.  We’re not absorbing 100 percent of it.  Sixty perfect of that revenue would have been going to the players.  It’s going to be lost, and it’s not going to be recaptured.”

He’s right, but only if the prior 59.6-percent formula is used.  Under the new approach the two sides have been discussing, the lost money would impact the league’s ability to exceed its revenue projection for 2011, which calls for four-percent growth over 2010.  If the league fails to reach that number, the players’ take remains unchanged under the terms of the offer currently on the table.

As to the offer currently on the table, McNair oversells it a bit, in our view.  “I’m disappointed they didn’t study the proposal,” McNair said.  “If they had questions, they could have negotiated or discussed it and really gotten serious about the negotiations because it’s very favorable to the players.  We more than met them halfway.”

That last part isn’t accurate.  They “split the difference” between the players’ proposed per-team cap number of $151 million and the owners’ offer of $131 million (salary and benefits), but the owners omitted from the offer any provision for sharing the money that exceeds the projection on which the $141 million figure was based.  So the owners haven’t met the players halfway, yet.

It doesn’t mean the owners won’t.  And there’s only one way for the players to find out, even if the process of getting their is tougher than diamonds and stronger than steel.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
27 Responses to “Bob McNair thinks deal is coming “before too much damage is done””
  1. dldove77 says: Mar 19, 2011 10:28 AM

Huey Lewis was a major influence on another great American poet, Jack Handy.

2. 52crabcakes says: Mar 19, 2011 10:38 AM

Get it done boys! WE, those who make the nfl, are not very happy. Maybe more will do like me and boycott the nfl. I do not watch or visit nfl channel or website, nor am I buying any nfl merchandise. FIX IT and maybe I’ll be back.

3. dabigbangclock says: Mar 19, 2011 11:00 AM

Every day I care less and less, its just pathetic that they can’t agree how to split up $9B… Hopefully they will be splitting less than $9B next year

4. sdboltaction says: Mar 19, 2011 11:11 AM

You don’t need money, don’t take fame, don’t need a credit card to ride this train!!!

5. butch815 says: Mar 19, 2011 11:13 AM

And the NFLPA or the PA answer was to get up and walk away from negotiations and sue. Brilliant! Just Brilliant. This is what you can expect when you’re being led by people who are getting paid by the hour.

6. MichaelEdits says: Mar 19, 2011 11:14 AM

“…before too much MORE damage is done…”

7. fltharley says: Mar 19, 2011 11:18 AM

your right we can have a impact right now and turn off the nfl network and stay away fromt there website if half the people would just boycott these to media outlets the owners and the players would come to there senses. i havnt watched the nfl channel in over a week . and guess what i havnt missed anything. if you want to send a message to the nfl stop watching the nfl channel. and there web site. i wont redo my season tickets either.

8. theredbengal says: Mar 19, 2011 11:20 AM

“Huey released ‘Fore’, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is “Hip to be Square”, a song so catchy, most people probably don’t listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it’s not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it’s also a personal statement about the band itself.”

-Fictional character Patrick Bateman

9. snowpea84 says: Mar 19, 2011 11:40 AM

If I were the owners I would take a very spiteful approach right now. I would just not have football for a year or two. Go back to my other businesses, and see what becomes of these players who think they arent getting a fair deal. Without the owners they have nothing. It will only take a season for many current players and a whole crop of incoming players to be clamoring for any kind of a deal.
    Because in that time period there is no real way for another orginization to srping up and fill the void, the majority of these guys would be left out in the cold.

10. Deb says: Mar 19, 2011 11:41 AM

Great lead! lol And thanks for pointing out that the owners haven’t yet met the players halfway … not that it will resonate with those determined to lay all blame at the players’ feet and shred anyone who dares to defend them. It will be interesting to see how many of the pro-owner/pro-Goodell commenters who’ve suddenly registered since last Friday will still be posting a week after this is finally resolved.

11. Kave Krew says: Mar 19, 2011 11:45 AM

Money will bring these parties together…..or the loss of money.

Both sides just love the dough and don’t like losing it more than they like making it.

When the pinch finally comes, the 2 sides will meet, agree, and concoct a face-saving spin to throw down our throats.

12. Rhode Island Patriots Fan says: Mar 19, 2011 11:46 AM

This NFL family labor dispute is as much about people as anything else. It’s about trust.

After the players and their counsel are given adequate assurances that there will be no adverse legal consequences, the player reps ALONE should indeed meet in a room face-to-face with ONLY the owners to break the ice that’s chilled their relationship. Once that thaw ends, the process of exchanging ideas on core economic issues can begin. The lawyers, non-player execs, mediator, and commissioner need not be—and arguably should not be—part of that initial “big picture” business dialogue.

This is all about “moving the chains”—assuming, of course, that’s what you want to see happen. I know I do.

13. dldove77 says: Mar 19, 2011 11:59 AM

The players are hoping to avoid allowing their salaries to go “Back in Time” HEY OH!

14. elrushbo2 says: Mar 19, 2011 12:04 PM

@Deb

Sorry to see that the former NFLPA* has you working on Saturdays. Save your pro player propaganda for another site…… we are no buying it here.

15. 7pints says: Mar 19, 2011 12:13 PM

How about we, the posters, start qualifying our thoughts on the CBA by stating whether you are in a union? Players vs the owners. I think the results would be fairly obvious, but interesting nonetheless.

The owners have every right in this bargaining!

Me? Non-union and anti-union at that.

16. angrycorgi says: Mar 19, 2011 12:13 PM

And each fan that gets pi$$ed and vows to not watch football this season represents a drop in $$$$$ for both sides. If this gets dragged out and the end result is the players still get that huge 59% piece, it won’t be 59% of the pie…it’ll be 59% of a little de vies snack cake…

17. thefiesty1 says: Mar 19, 2011 1:37 PM

McNair doesn’t have a clue and never has. The Texans will never be more than mediocre as long as he’s pulling the strings.

18. dolphinatic says: Mar 19, 2011 1:41 PM

@Deb

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

19. ultimatesaintsfan says: Mar 19, 2011 1:54 PM

The owners will not start sweating until DTV starts trying to get their “earlybird” renewals for the Sunday Ticket then we will see how quick they are to get a real deal offer out their for the players!

20. mksnpcola says: Mar 19, 2011 2:38 PM

So let me get this straight. I am a Billionaire and I have a multibillion dollar investment by owning an organization. I pay my employees at a minimum of 5 times the median household income in this country, with some of my employees making upwards of 25 times that same pay. There is NO SHORTAGE of people that would love to work for me. Now, after I have built my empire to what it is, my employees feel that they deserve more of the share of my investment than do I. I tell them to go suck an egg. I can close up shop and still be a Billionaire, or hire all new employees and in three years, be back in business.

21. Deb says: Mar 19, 2011 3:00 PM

@elrushbo2 …

I’ve been posting daily on PFT and CFT on multiple issues for two years and all the regulars know me and my team allegiances. You showed up on March 13. You were saying???? I’m sure with what the owners are paying you and your friends, you can afford to buy whatever you want. :roll:

22. Deb says: Mar 19, 2011 3:07 PM

@mksnpcola …

No, you don’t have it straight because you, like many others, persist in viewing the NFL as a traditional employer/employee relationship, which it’s not. You have to think of the NFL more as you would an author/publisher relationship or an actor/producer relationship. The players earn what they do because their talents are unique and can’t be replaced at a comparable level with a cattle-call job fair. The relationship is more mutually dependent than an employer/employee relationship. In addition, employees are not drafted–they can choose where they want to work.

This is a different employment model. That’s why it has a different pay structure. And the salaries skyrocketed so quickly after free agency was adopted because a handful of uber-rich owners kept raising the salary cap or skirting it by paying large cash bonuses so they could out bid less wealthy teams. You can’t create a system out of your own hubris, then decide you don’t like it and expect all the players to take the hit.

23. dolphinatic says: Mar 19, 2011 3:40 PM

Wow well that verifies it for me.. second comment I have had calling out an “owners poster” (elrushbo1 2 3 and so on) as a plant removed. This site used to be so good… Till you sold out that is. End the era of greed.

24. voxveritass says: Mar 19, 2011 4:25 PM

@elrushbo2
    Or are the owners paying you?

To the guy that said the owners should lock out the players for 2 years- yeah, give that a shot.
    Without the players you’re rooting for laundry. Are you old enough to remember the last lockout?
    Would you watch college all star football in your favorite jerseys or NFL caliber talent in a new league they co-own?
    Thought so.

25. snowpea84 says: Mar 19, 2011 5:57 PM

Lolls. So in a two year period of time the players will form a league, work out broadcasting deals, find suitable venues to play, and successfully implement their own “fair” revenue ideas into a business model. All with the owners from the NFL pulling what weight they can to hinder or stop it at every step.
    Thought so? Please stop thinking. You’re not very good at it.

26. voxveritass says: Mar 19, 2011 6:57 PM

@snowpea84
    The obvious flaw in my logic was ‘because you said so’. How silly of me. BTW, I’ll take fries with my happy meal sweetie.

27. palinforpresidentofnorthkorea says: Mar 20, 2011 10:57 AM

Deb misses the obvious in Negotiating 101.

Those who offer to meet the other side halfway end up with less that halfway.

Show me the NFLPA* offer where they came halfway.

Didn’t think so!