Vick, Dungy visit Tampa-area prison

Michael Vick AP

Eagles quarterback Mike Vick made the most of his lockout downtime on Saturday by joining former Bucs and Colts coach Tony Dungy, now a mainstay on NBC’s Football Night in America, for a visit to a Tampa-area prison.  They were joined by 35 members of Abe Brown Ministries.

Dungy told PFT Live this week that Dan Patrick and Peter King would also be attending.

It was very humbling and at the same time, a bit overwhelming. You really didn’t know what to expect,” Vick said, per the Associated Press. “Hopefully I can be an example to somebody. The thing that I was trying to get across is that we all can be instruments of change. That’s something that I’ve been proactive about since I stepped out of prison and I’m enjoying every minute of it.”

“I told Michael when we met in Leavenworth is that he’d be able to do some things, say some things and reach some people that no one else can,” Dungy said. “Other people can go in and say ‘Here is what you should do.’  It may be coming from somebody who they really respect, but not somebody who really knows what they’ve been through.

“When they see Mike, they say, ‘Here’s somebody that lived in my shoes for two years.'”

Vick said he wants to continue working with Abe Brown Ministries, a group named for a former high school football coach who engineered the outreach program.  Brown died in 2010.

“There will be football next year.  There definitely will,” Dungy said.  “I don’t know how much we’ll get Michael.  We certainly won’t be able to get him during the season.  But Abe Brown Ministries has been doing this for over 30 years.  And Rev. Brown, this was the first one I’ve done without him.  He asked me to go in 1996 and I’ve been going 15 years. It’s something he did and we’re kinda continuing to keep the ministry going.”

Without question, if Dungy is involved, it will continue.  And we applaud him for that.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Vick, Dungy visit Tampa-area prison”
  1. Kave Krew says: Mar 19, 2011 11:41 PM

Tune in for tomorrow’s award ceremony…….

…..and he didn’t cancel?? What up with that?

Thought I’d get a jump on the Mike Vick bashing that will ensue.

Seriously, this was a good thing and Dungy is as true as you can get.

2. JackLeone says: Mar 19, 2011 11:45 PM

Let the Vick hate begin in 3…2….

3. jamaltimore says: Mar 19, 2011 11:50 PM

He’s a modern day johhny cash

4. skoobyfl says: Mar 19, 2011 11:53 PM

So he wants to go back to prison but blew Oprah off ?? I can’t make much sense of this, off the map Michael.

5. FinFan68 says: Mar 20, 2011 12:15 AM

Too easy…let it go.

6. MichaelEdits says: Mar 20, 2011 12:34 AM

Must… not… say it. Must… not… say it.

7. david7590 says: Mar 20, 2011 12:47 AM

Who really cares anymore?

8. huskersrock1 says: Mar 20, 2011 12:53 AM

Scoping out his next pad???

9. fonetiklee says: Mar 20, 2011 12:58 AM

I’d think higher of these types of things if they didn’t always invite the media along to show how selfless they’re being. Still, it’s nice to see these types of stories.

10. pwall1 says: Mar 20, 2011 2:11 AM

Tony Dungy is one of the classiest guys to ever grace football.

11. idolized1 says: Mar 20, 2011 3:34 AM

When I read this headline I thought that the Bengals had hired Tony Dungy and Mike Vick as scouts…

12. truwarier90 says: Mar 20, 2011 3:50 AM

o.j. simpson was the last high-profile black man to be found not guilty in America in 1995. Justice does not exist, vick and plaxico never belonged in prison, and the only reason O.J. was found guilty for the memobrilia charges was due to jealousy by the prosection who wanted revenge on mr.orenthal.

13. progress2011 says: Mar 20, 2011 6:04 AM

What a GREAT AMERICAN Michael Vick is ! Here is a man that proved he is human and made a mistake. He served his punishment, was commended for good behavior while serving his sentence. Now that he has PAID HIS DUES TO SOCIETY, he voluntarily wants to lead by example and be a full time role model for kids in the suburbs, kids in poor economic conditions and even those that have made mistakes as well.

What a Great American story of change and accomplishment. I will purchase his book, whenever/ if he decides to publish one. It will go in my library with all the other inspirational success stories – Ghandi, Dr. MLK, Frederick Douglas, Michael Jordan, President Obama, President Clinton, John McCain, Michael Jordan and others.

ONLY IN AMERICA !

14. kevsright says: Mar 20, 2011 6:12 AM

At least he is planning ahead, checking out his future accommodations!

15. tatum064 says: Mar 20, 2011 6:55 AM

last heard comment to Vick by Prison Guard

“Be seeing you again……soon”

16. forthehaters says: Mar 20, 2011 6:57 AM

I’m sure the haters will find something negative to say about this one-they always do! Lol Keep up the good work Mike!

17. kspl1 says: Mar 20, 2011 6:58 AM

Waiting for the negative comments, that’s good

18. 2009kenny says: Mar 20, 2011 7:44 AM

If you get off your high pedestal you will realize that the reason a lot of these prisoners listen to Dungy is because of who he is. In the same vein, it will be easy to listen and relate to Vick because he has lived both worlds. As far as Peter King and Dan Patrick, they are part of the NBC crew with Dungy so this may have been long coming. Besides, they will resonate with the inmates as well. Anyone who ‘mocks’ that Vick pulled Opra but went to talk to prisoners is just plain stupid. Not necessary to explain why

19. 2009kenny says: Mar 20, 2011 7:51 AM

Is there a way we, the fans can actually send a message to D Brees, Peyton Manning etc. I would like to tell them that we don’t care who is right or wrong although we have our thoughts on that. We can’t feel too sorry for people who make salaries that most of us won’t see cumulatively over the next 20 yrs. Expend your energy negotiating face to face and stop making us out to be dumb. Remember that your ‘stardom’ comes from football, so go out there and play

20. toe4 says: Mar 20, 2011 8:11 AM

I didn’t like Mike Vick before the dog thing. I watched his stupid reality TV show and he just looked like a person that was faking it for the camera.

But I’ll be damned if he hasn’t grown up.

I cautiously say, it appears that I have misjudged you, Mick Vick, and I am sorry for it.

And then I think “if I was judged me by how I behaved in my 20’s I would be a sorry scrub for sure.”

21. oldbyrd says: Mar 20, 2011 9:17 AM

Some one, anyone print what Vick has to do to get a second chance. I hope these haters don’t need a second chance someday.

22. ny82jy says: Mar 20, 2011 9:26 AM

Can’t stand Vick but am I the only one who is sick and tired of Tony dungy. Manning made him what he is and with all those great teams he had he only won one superbowl. All he does now is run his mouth about other teams and players now and everyone thinks he’s god.

23. tv426 says: Mar 20, 2011 10:14 AM

Awww, Mike was homesick.

24. brownsfn says: Mar 20, 2011 10:23 AM

Did somebody really just compare this scumbag to Dr King and Ghandi!?!?!?! Get a clue man…

25. Magic blueberry says: Mar 20, 2011 10:29 AM

Really, why is this a story?

26. vicksprman says: Mar 20, 2011 10:38 AM

It’s nice to see that this young finally seems to be getting it. Let’s just hope he continues on this path because he truly can touch others lives in a way none of us can.

27. vicksprman says: Mar 20, 2011 10:39 AM

sorry for the typo, young man

28. dogluverssuck says: Mar 20, 2011 10:50 AM

Angry white people :)

Did you dog kissers hear about the dumb dog kisser that had 3 of his toes eaten by his loyal “Family Member”?

With family like that, who needs enemies :)

29. cup1981 says: Mar 20, 2011 10:57 AM

Mike put a deposit on the highest level cell available in the place. He asked them to please hold it for the next 3 to 10 years, he knows he’ll need it soon.

30. realitypolice says: Mar 20, 2011 11:01 AM

Not a negative comment- I’m glad to see he’s doing what he’s doing.

But let’s not jump to conclusions. He is still polishing his resume for that huge contract he wants and needs after next season.

If he is still doing this stuff after his career is over and he doesn’t need to do it to retain his earning power, than I will believe that he is truly changed.

31. EJ says: Mar 20, 2011 11:06 AM

Dungy is who every player/coach/owner from the NFL should model themselves after.

32. boknowsvt says: Mar 20, 2011 11:19 AM

progress2011 says: Mar 20, 2011 6:04 AM

ONLY IN AMERICA !

*******************************************************

Don King?

33. Canyonero says: Mar 20, 2011 11:40 AM

What did Vick actually SAY to the prisoners?

The entire story is that he went there, and yay he’s such a great guy now, just like we’ve been telling you. He’s really changed!!

That’s all his fanboys need to know. They’ll cheer him on no matter what he does.

Vick press coverage is about as PC as it gets.

34. dogluverssuck says: Mar 20, 2011 12:28 PM

ny82jy says:
    Mar 20, 2011 9:26 AM

________________________________

You must be high. How many superbowls did the Great Manning win before Tony Dungy and how many has it won since Tony Dungy retired?

Also, that Superbowl ring that Jon Gruden has, that was handed to him because Tony Dungy built that team and Gruden’s job was not to screw it up.

So what’s your point again?

35. bobbyhoying says: Mar 20, 2011 12:36 PM

skoobyfl says: Oprah is very lost. This was a much better use of Mike’s time. It is also a tribute to Tony Dungy for the truly meaningful things he is doing during his brief stay on this earth.

36. bluefan204 says: Mar 20, 2011 12:47 PM

You mean there are still people who buy this BS? You really think that what he’s doing is genuine, heartfelt, and VOLUNTARY?

Beachfront property for sale: Beautiful views, spectacular sunsets, miles of private, white sand beaches, brand new everything inside home. 3/2 with heated pool, 50ft. deck. Asking price: $500 Located right in the heart of Omaha, NE! Don’t wait! Call now!! 888-SUC-KERS!

37. peopleforpitbulls says: Apr 7, 2011 11:09 AM

So..Now I am known as a “HATER”. Best you could do!

I don’t HATE Mike Vick…I do not appreciate what he has done to “Man’s Best Friend” ….As the SMARTER SPECIES we are entruted to care for our 4-legged companions and all animals on the earth…I don’t think God in his wisdom ever told anyone that to care for a dog was to electrocute, kick, hang, or drown….It is not up to me to judge Vick…But I do not HAVE to like him…

I have been told by a few “football Lovers” that Vick deserved a second chance…As far as I am concerned Pro Sports as a Whole is totally corrupt… I shudder when I think of the indiscretions of the Cowboys….And I don’t think anyone who commits a violent crime should get off easy….Against Man or animal …..

I say Kudos to the Falcons, they didn’t take him back! I have friends in Philly who are ashamed of their team, because of Vick.. Do they have dogs, no, not all…

I am only posting because I work tirelessly fighting the Ban on Pit Bulls. It has reached epidemic numbers. The one thing that Vick did that was god was getting caught, so these dogs could be used for a higher purpose, to be representatives of a group that now can show that there is redemption after they have been violently abused…So I thank Mike Vick for Getting Caught…

Also, on another front, if Vick is so set on trying to redeem himself, why didn’t he show up on Oprah?? Afraid to face his accusers?? I would have at least tried to listen to what he had to say..

And now the story on the Rescue that wants to buy his house…Another way to find Redemption would be to help them acquire the house so they can use it for a Noble purpose and not that I think the neighbors have any intelligence, but perhaps he could help there also. I am afraid the only way I could ever be convinced he is for real is if he just did something NOT PUBLICITY RELATED…

I saw him get the keys to Dallas, are you aware that when approached by a person owning one of his dogs and asked how he felt about them he said “I don’t give a Damn about the dogs??” The film coverage can be viewed on you tube.

So, when we talk of Vick the Sick Prick and his “Story of Redemption” I reserve the word hate..I prefer the word reserving my condemnation for the future” because Vick will mess up again, he is a potential Serial Killer if you have any knowledge of Bundy, and his Cohorts. They all got started abusing animals, being mean, and ended up Mass Murderers!

Instead I look to the redemption of this awesome Breed and all its mixes, everthing they offer and can do for Man, because they are the one true hope.

There is no hope for Mike Vick….You can see it in his empty eyes and hear it in the tone of his voice….