Jarvis Green blames both sides: “We’re forgetting about the fans”

Jarvis Green, Dylan Gandy

Jarvis Green didn’t play at all in 2010, and he isn’t sure if he’ll ever play again, so that gives him some distance from the ongoing labor dispute between the owners and the players.

Maybe the realization that whatever happens won’t affect him anyway explains why Green is able to make so much sense in talking about the labor situation.

Green told Ian R. Rapoport of the Boston Herald that whether it’s fair or not, the American public is going to view this as a dispute between greedy millionaires and greedy billionaires, and that both sides are overlooking the possibility that they’re turning off the league’s paying customers.

“And you know what?” Green said. “We’re forgetting about the fans. Everybody wants to watch football in 2011.”

Green said that what’s needed is both sides coming together, and he said that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell needs to give the players concrete information they can work with.

“I read [Goodell’s] letter, man — nothing changed,” Green said. “Let us see your books, then let’s talk.”

As for his own situation, Green isn’t sure whether he’s done in the NFL, but he’s well prepared for life afterward.

“I’m still thinking about hanging it up,” Green said. “I am staying in shape, but right now I’ve been very busy. I bought into this construction company about a year ago in Baton Rouge, and maybe the best decision for me right now is to go do construction. It’s really valuable, it’s a great company. But then again, playing a few more years would be great.”

And having an NFL season for players to play this year would be great.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Jarvis Green blames both sides: “We’re forgetting about the fans””
  1. wryly1 says: Mar 20, 2011 11:09 AM

No other possibility. It’ll be resolved when when the owners are willing to settle it, not dictate the terms. End of subject.

2. roodlenoodle says: Mar 20, 2011 11:17 AM

Fans won’t forget, for long, but I suggest since we will all eventually be back at the games, we should boycot buying their merchandise and such. And we should never forget that the only ones whom will be paying for these additional monies, that the owners and players make, will be us little guys, the fans. There has to be a breaking point sometime.

3. hobartbaker says: Mar 20, 2011 11:18 AM

Jarvis bought the shovel as his share in the company. His partners bought the rake, hoe, and wheelbarrow.

4. chapnastier says: Mar 20, 2011 11:20 AM

Mr. Green, they showed you their books, 5 years worth. As much as you guys would like to think you are entitled to more, you aren’t. You also have no right to see what owners do outside of football like you all think you do as well. Get a grip, you guys lose more and more fan support every time you say something so stupid.

5. 2009kenny says: Mar 20, 2011 11:22 AM

Pretty reasonable comment by Green. Of course concrete evidence doesn’t equate to opening entire books, which contains trade secrets

6. oldhamletman says: Mar 20, 2011 11:22 AM

the key point of his comment is the Players demand to see all financials… thats unlikely to happen…

The Players continue to sit back and cross their arms and essentially say: “We are not talking about anything until you put an offer on the table that meets all of our demands”

They have had offers to use as a basis of negotiation for a long time, yet they don’t talk… the Players ongoing arrogance is crazy….

7. elrushbo2 says: Mar 20, 2011 11:24 AM

Jarvis who? Your still in the league?…….. Jarvis is it? Ok then Jarvis…. we as fans want to see your books since technically our money employs you. I recommend that if it’s books you want to see the library is the place for you.

8. FoozieGrooler says: Mar 20, 2011 11:25 AM

Forgetting?
    When did either side ever consider the fans?

Maybe they’d better start.
    Where do they think that money they’re squabbling over comes from?

9. jimphin says: Mar 20, 2011 11:25 AM

Seems everything with the players comes down to “show me the books”. Obviously, the NFL is not going to show their cards. But, they have offered to reveal a portion through an independent auditor. Why wouldn’t the players want to see that information? Why are they taking an all or nothing approach?

In the spirit of true transparency, WHY ARE THEY NOT REVEALING THEIR OWN BOOKS? Do the players actually know where every penny of their 15 grand dues is being spent?

10. alanschech says: Mar 20, 2011 11:26 AM

Nice to see that someone gets it

11. blackshirtz says: Mar 20, 2011 11:33 AM

What’s up all. First time; long time here. I have never joined such a blog before, however the NFL players and NFLPA* have prompted me out.

I am so sick of the Players and NFLPA *owner and NFL deal bashing. Where is their “bleeping” counter offer? It is obvious to me that they DO NOT want to negotiate and feel that they have a better chance in our “fair” court system. It seems that the owners and the NFL are the only ones who are conceding and making counter offers. They seem genuinely interested in getting back to the table.

I LOVE my football. However at this point; as a 38 year old fan from the age of 4; I would almost enjoy a portion of the year where the players do not get paid. This whole thing has me that upset with the players. It would take me 5 lifetimes to make even what a marginal player makes.

Keep fighting and not working toward a resolution, players. I, for one, would be happy to watch you squirm as your paychecks do not arrive.

I will play this game for $1. Give me a call, NFL. I’m ready to do meet any of your requirements to play the game that I love. I would LOVE and take full advantage of another chance to play competitive football!!

I, for one, do not NEED to watch overpaid players such as Brady, Manning, Fat Albert, etc., etc., Give me a hard working player, playing for the love of the game first, and then the money.

I CAN watch football without all of the egos.

There are 100′s and 1000′s of college players that I would much rather watch play this game. Some of them simply need a chance. So word of warning to the egos that will be entering the draft and who are considering a boycot… I DO NOT CARE about you. If you are willing to disrespect the Professional game before even playing a down….. without attending even your first practice….. then I honestly do not care if you do play for my favorite team.

Get it together players. You are taking for granted that we cannot live without you. WE CAN. It is the GAME OF FOOTBALL that we cannot live without. YOU do not make the game. The GAME makes you.

Take the Billions that you have been offered for past, present, and future players and move on!

PERIOD.

Sincerely,

A FANATIC of the NFL.

12. thetooloftools says: Mar 20, 2011 11:38 AM

I have seen so many “owner lovers” posting since the strike began would swear the NFL owners are copying Sarah Palin’s playbook.

13. iced107 says: Mar 20, 2011 11:39 AM

————————————————

I don’t get the logic in posts like this. The players aren’t the one who started the lock out and wanted to change the CBA. The players aren’tr trying to cut out the owners of a billion dollars BEFORE the revenue is even split up.

this is on the owners – either don’t cut out the players of the billion dollars or open up the books and give the players what they want (this also forces the NFPA to react).

This is not rocket science.

14. aldavismustdie1108 says: Mar 20, 2011 11:42 AM

this is unbelievable. im a LIFELONG DIE HARD Raider fan and this is absolute BS. with all that’s goin on in the world right now, Art Rooney actually has the audacity to demand money?! we as fans need to step up!!! the funny thing about this whole situation is that we fans could end it RIGHT NOW!!!! DONT BUY TICKETS, MERCHANDISE, ETC.!!!! WHY CANT WE THREATEN TO LOCKOUT?!?! WE’RE THE ONES WHO KEEP THESE BABIES IN BUSINESS!!! we need to tell these guys to shove the NFL up their ass! there’s too many things to focus on right now OTHER than hearing all these babies whine about how theyre not getting their money. the NFL’s just like our government…all they care about is oil/money, THEY DONT CARE ABOUT US!!!! EVERYBODY NEEDS TO WAKE UP OUT OF THEIR TRANCE!!!!

15. smarks82 says: Mar 20, 2011 11:49 AM

I think we as the fans should decertify and sue the NFL and the Players for there bloated prices on tickets and merchandise

16. thebraso says: Mar 20, 2011 11:57 AM

$8 beer
    $6 Hotdogs
    $5 Bags of peanuts
    $300 Direct TV: MONOPOLY
    Over priced merchandise
    PSL’s
    Neglecting family 6 months out of the year(that may just be me)

But we are an afterthought in all of this. Neither side gives a crap about the most important entity, THE FANS.

17. skimbell says: Mar 20, 2011 12:02 PM

roodlenoodle says:
    Mar 20, 2011 11:17 AM
    Fans won’t forget, for long, but…since we will all eventually be back at the games,…There has to be a breaking point sometime.

For most of my life I went to Sox Park anywhere from 25-35 times a season. Since 1994, I haven’t stepped foot in a MLB park. You know what? It’s just like quitting smoking. At first you think that you’ll never be unaware that you aren’t smoking. Pretty soon though you forget all about smoking. Same thing for MLB/NFL. I find that I don’t really miss MLB. I suspect that I will feel pretty much the same about the NFL when I’ve stopped paying attention to them.
    Kinda hurts though-I’m a Packer fan!

18. bowlhounds says: Mar 20, 2011 12:04 PM

Sad to say but whatever the outcome of this situation the common Joe fan is becoming extinct. The way tickets and parking an all other “fan costs” keep rising “Joe” and family won’t be attending any games anyway. So while these players and owners keep disagreeing over how to split our money, the whole time trying to dangle the fan from the string, the reality stays the same. Without sticking it to the fans neither side makes the coin.

19. hman54 says: Mar 20, 2011 12:08 PM

This a tiresome debate. What we need to do as fans is boycott all of the products that are advertised on NFL telecasts. If those revenues go down then TV money goes down. Additionally, don’t buy anything that a player endorses like all of the stuff that Peyton Manning hocks. Its simple.

20. oldhamletman says: Mar 20, 2011 12:10 PM

iced107

This is not rocket science.

============

The Owners had the right under the CBA to cancel… they did… legally… it was a contract that had an out originally in it and they opted to take it.. all above board. Time for new contract.

In spite of the Players having no right at all to demand the books of their private employers, the Owners have offered audited financials, 2 year tabling of 18 games with right of refusal to the Players, and a buncha other stuff..

Instead of talking about it, the Players circumvented the spirit of the Labor Relations law by decertifying so they wouldn’t be forced to negotiate (!)… and filed a court case.

This action allowed the Owners to lock them out as is fully their right to attempt to defend themselves.

This chain of events is most certainly, completely, totally on the Players

21. bhester1906 says: Mar 20, 2011 12:17 PM

How could the owners or Roger expect the NFLPA to trust them after they went and got lockout insurance? I wouldn’t trust them either. And I would definitely need to see proof to back up any of their claims from that point on. Whether they like it or not the owner’s credibility is shot. Forget whose the boss, your words are pretty worthless now…

22. thefiesty1 says: Mar 20, 2011 12:27 PM

So, settle already. Way too much greed on both the players and owners.

23. eagleswin says: Mar 20, 2011 12:31 PM

iced107 says:
    Mar 20, 2011 11:39 AM

This is not rocket science.
    ————————-
    That is very selective memory you have. The players decided not to negotiate and go through the court systems. That is why they are locked out. The players made the lockout necessary. The players did not want to change the CBA because they knew they had a sweetheart deal and even said so to the media.

There is nothing wrong with wanted to negotiate a new CBA when one expires it happens all the time. The owners wanted to negotiate a new CBA is not a reason for the union to decertify and file an anti-trust lawsuit.

Again with the blind “open the books” rhetoric. Tell us why you need more information than what was given. Tell us why it can’t be an independent auditor. Tell us why 5 years isn’t enough and then maybe you will get more information. If you can’t articulate the reasons necessary for your mantra, then you should not expect people to blindly capitulate to your demands. Also, maybe think about what you are saying before blindly repeating talking points.

It isn’t rocket science but people like you make it seem that way.

24. dieharddolfan6493 says: Mar 20, 2011 12:35 PM

really this whole situation is stupid greedy owners being stubborn, hot headed players being sensitive, they really are forgetting the only reason they can fight over that much money, the fans. Missing just one NFL season will cost them billions along with fan support so this will bite both sides in the ass

25. silverdeer says: Mar 20, 2011 12:57 PM

If we the fans want to boycott things, we need to start with boycotting watching it on TV. There is no way that any team in the league can maintain a positive cash flow without the TV revenue.. If you want to pay the exhorbitant rates to attend a game, go ahead, but for those of us that cannot afford to attend them, I say we just find something else to do on Sunday afternoons. You can bet your best banana that should TV ratings nose dive, then the advertising dollars that pay for it will go away too.

26. Kave Krew says: Mar 20, 2011 12:59 PM

I plan on working for Mr. Jarvis Green’s new company and I fully expect him to open up his books to me so I can assess what my pay and benefits should be….

If the company is doing good, then i want more money and benefits….

If the company is doing bad, then I still want more money and benefits….

I’m sure Mr. Green will see the logic in my philosophy and grant those extras to me……

27. grogansheroes says: Mar 20, 2011 1:01 PM

I cannot fathom how many stupid people post on this blog. To blame the players is ridiculous. The OWNERS opted out of the agreement. Why? Because they feel making millions is not enough. Owners like Mike Brown and Ralph Wilson are jealous of owners like Jones and Snyder that make more money in naming rights and other peripheral areas. Why doesn’t Brown sell naming rights to the stadium? And for those who claim they showed the books, well not exactly. They agree to show for the last five years, or since times have gotten a little tougher. So if the players agree to this, what happens when the economy gets better, and the players have a bad deal? The owners don’t want to show their books because of the 8m$ salaries they are paying to their nephew and brother in law, that are part of their “expenses”. Remember, this is a lockout, not a strike.

28. thumper00 says: Mar 20, 2011 1:05 PM

Jarvis when players become full partners as in 50% responsibility for all franchise bills such as, health ins. elec, water ,stadium mortgage and upkeep, maybe uniforms ,food for players.
    And this should come right off the top of players salaries, then maybe the owners should open the books beceause then you will be a real PARTNER Get it EMPLOYEE…

29. thefactor51 says: Mar 20, 2011 1:07 PM

The NFL cares about the fans as much as it cares for its players. They don’t care. If they lose some fans there will always be more to take your place the same way when a player cant play anymore or gets hurt they replace them with someone younger and cheaper. Don’t act like the players don’t buy tickets too. On average players spend way more money on tickets and memorabilia than the average fans do. I know players that have bought 50+ tickets for a game.

30. stixzidinia says: Mar 20, 2011 1:20 PM

Honestly, screw the fans. They won’t be offering any donations to these players when they’re 50 years old and literally breaking down like an old Ford. The fans can do without their entertainment product for a while.

31. rripley84 says: Mar 20, 2011 1:26 PM

I am not sure who said it, but I agree that we as fans need to have a lockout.

Is there anyone here good at creating a petition?

We need to get at least 100,000 names(definitely want more) stating that we will not buy tickets, merchandise or any item an NFL player endorses, and send it to the PR departments of every team, media, De Smith, Pash, Goodell and all of these other fools that need to realize that we the fans keep this business alive.

32. lowleadman says: Mar 20, 2011 1:42 PM

All of you morons who are blaming the owners because of the workout, don’t forget that the union decertification came first after the union broke off talks. The owners did what they had to do.

Morons.

33. ltcpain75 says: Mar 20, 2011 1:52 PM

C’mon Jarvis, don’t suddenly act like the fans are integral or even important to pro football or the current negotiation process. This is straight up millionaires (the players) trying to get more money from billionaires (the owners) and you/the NFLPA could care less what we the fans think, say or do. Oh, you want more money? Have you considered player endorsement revenue sharing? I thought not.

34. 52crabcakes says: Mar 20, 2011 1:59 PM

I hope the owners AND players are reading these, doubt it though. They need to hear from US, the people that MAKE the nfl! Maybe I will be back and maybe I won’t.

35. CKL says: Mar 20, 2011 2:03 PM

OK a couple things…I’m more for the guys who take the financial risk making more of the profit no doubt. That would be the owners. I get the frustration of fans saying they would play for a dollar and they feel players are overpaid. That said I can’t agree with that particular sentiment.

People need to realize that players have every right to want to be compensated at levels COMMENSURATE WITH THEIR PEERS IN THE SAME “COMPANY” (the NFL) doing the same JOB. This isn’t a matter of OH THEY MAKE MORE MONEY THAN I DO AND I AM A TEACHER/LAWYER/CONSTRUCTION WORKER…whatever. Think of it as a situation within your company. If Joe is making $10/hour but is a slacker, wouldn’t you be mad if you made $8/hour and you were an exemplary employee doing the same job? You betcha you would. If you were a lawyer billing at $100/hour (which is something I can’t relate to personally, that kind of money) at your firm but was really, really good, honest and hardworking I would back you if you had a peer who schmoozed his or her way to $500/hour and partner because of CONNECTIONS rather than HARD WORK. That is what it’s about…think of it in CONTEXT.

That said, Green is a very intelligent man who has actually earned a real degree from his school and who has run a business I believe (restaurant). I am surprised he would be all for opening books with no restrictions. But… though I don’t agree with the division of money part of what the union/association wants I do have zero problem with all the union/association guys trying to present a similar united front. That’s what they SHOULD do. I do hate the “LIAR LIAR” stuff coming from some of these guys. You look infinitely more reasonable and adult and like you have ACTUAL ARGUMENTS if you ..you know…make them instead of resorting to 8th grader level namecalling and nebulous/strawman points.

36. Patriot42 says: Mar 20, 2011 2:06 PM

As any product sold the consumer always gets the short end. We furnish all of the money but get the shaft as the owners and players feel they are getting the money from a money tree. Sometimes the spiteful person deep inside me would like to see the NFL fail.

37. touchdownroddywhite says: Mar 20, 2011 2:36 PM

Dear NFL(and associates),

The more I think about it, the more I realize the fans were forgotten about a long, long time ago. Probably before I ever started watching the game. So I am writing to represent myself as a fan of the game since I feel we do not have enough representation by either side at any of your events or negotiations.

You want to show the fans you care? Make it more affordable to us. Give up $10k here, $30k there. Make it more realistic for the rest of us to go. And do something about scalpers, FOR REAL.

In return, I as a fan pledge to continue to watch your programs on an actual television instead of streaming it on my computer. I further promise to continue to pay for actual licensed NFL merchandise as opposed to checking into those sites with the pretty asian lady they claim is doing chat base customer service. I hear they have a sale going on with any jersey for $26, and it must be NFL apparel cause it has the nifty little parch at the bottom just like my jerseys from Champs that were $100.

If you can not make these concessions I fear myself and the rest of my ilk will be forced to find a new supplier for our NFL needs, other than you know, the NFL…

Sincerely,

Forgotten Fan

38. iced107 says: Mar 20, 2011 3:04 PM

It isn’t rocket science but people like you make it seem that way.
    ————————————————-

Or people like you, who only show partial truth.

Yes,the players chose to go to the legal system with their court case..But then again as a BUSINESS PARTNER,NOT AN EMPLOYEE, Wouldn’t you? We’re talking about the owners who wanted to cut out a Billion AND THEN change your 60% cut down to 40%!

The NFLPA retorted with an even split of the money.That sounds pretty dam fair to me.

Now tell me something – would you take that deal?

If so, wanna be partners?

Yea,I really wonder whose making this look like rocket science. The players who don’t seem to make it past 50 due to all their concussions or owners like Al Davis who appears will never die.

39. 3octaveFart says: Mar 20, 2011 3:29 PM

jimphin says: Mar 20, 2011 11:25 AM

“Seems everything with the players comes down to “show me the books”. …In the spirit of true transparency, WHY ARE THEY NOT REVEALING THEIR OWN BOOKS?”

Because the owners pay them, and already know how much they make?

Duh.

40. Deb says: Mar 20, 2011 4:12 PM

@chapnastier …

They did not show the players five years’ worth of their financials. They were prepared to show them five years’ worth of partial sections of their financials after those sections had been audited by a third party. It’s not nice to keep changing the facts to suit your narrative.

41. chapnastier says: Mar 20, 2011 5:19 PM

@ Deb

Good afternoon, I apologize for the dealy in responding, its been a nice little Sunday.

Anyways, the owners have no legal obligation to show any portion of their books so the fact that they are willing to show some portions, over 5 years, to a third party says a lot. The fact that the players can’t or won’t accept that or any variation of it says it all.

The players are losing this PR battle. Like I said before, if there are no NFLPA players ever again and there are scabs, you will still pull for joe schmo if he is the QB of the Steelers.

42. 3octaveFart says: Mar 20, 2011 7:20 PM

thebraso says: Mar 20, 2011 11:57 AM

“To me its soo funny how they project the revenue increases. those are OUR hard working dollars they are fighting about. and yet we have no voice….”

Actually we have more of a voice than either of the children in this fight. They wouldn’t exist without us.

If we stopped giving them our money, as in completely and immediately, I can think of no better way of getting their attention.

43. vomitingliberals says: Mar 20, 2011 8:27 PM

The players are at fault. The owners had the legal right to walk away from the last CBA and it was this previous CBA that described the players as partners. That was a big mistake because the players share ZERO of the financial risk. That will now be corrected. The are not partners. They are independent contractors. If the players don’t want to put their bodies on the line or feel that doing so is very dangerous, then they have the option of finding another, safer, job. The owners run private companies… PRIVATE. They don’t owe the players ANYTHING!

If you don’t want to pay…

$8 beer
    $6 Hotdogs
    $5 Bags of peanuts
    $300 Direct TV: MONOPOLY
    Over priced merchandise
    PSL’s

Then don’t allow the players to keep robbing their respective franchises blind! These costs are necessary to continue funding player salaries! The owners have no choice but to pass the cost of doing business to you the paying customer. Economics 101 people, wake up!

44. Deb says: Mar 20, 2011 9:09 PM

@chapnastier …

It has been a nice little Sunday. I could use another one :)

Like I said before, chap, I will not watch scabs. I don’t care what uniform they wear. No en mi casa. As many posts as we’ve exchanged, you of all people, should know I’m deadly serious.

Besides … you think you want to watch replacement players because you don’t know any better. From a moral perspective, I didn’t know better in the 1980s, but quickly tuned out anyway because they were horrible. Ugh! The game is much faster and more complex now, and the athletes who play it are considerably more skilled. Don’t think you’ll be too happy with the product if the owners opt for scabs again. Uh-huh … have fun with that :lol: Meanwhile, I’ll still have my principles plus the NCAA on Saturdays and old Steelers videos on Sundays. But I don’t think it will come to that.

And who cares about the PR battle? A lot of pro-owner commenters suddenly registered here within 48 hours of decertification. Yeah, they may have swayed some opinions. And some may have been pro-owner anyway. But what are people going to do if they get angry at the players? Cancel their season tickets? Stop buying merchandise? Whether they like it or not, the owners’ fates are tied to their players’ fates. And that’s not going to change.

45. fedupsaintsfan says: Mar 21, 2011 9:31 AM

This football fan has decided not to watch, attend another football game. I sold my Saints season tickets yesterday!! Neither side gives a rats azz about the fans… Unless our wallets are open!!!!!