Writer paints unpleasant picture of Pat Bowlen’s health

John Elway, Pat Bowlen, John Fox

The gathering of NFL owners in New Orleans for league meetings will result in plenty of real-time reporting and observations on Twitter.

An early  eyebrow-raiser comes from Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, who says that Broncos owner Pat Bowlen looks “frail and out of it.”

“His right-hand man just had to show him how to get in a car,” Hubbuch writes.  “Sad.”

Rumors and reports have been emerging for months regarding Bowlen’s health.  The team consistently has denied that Bowlen is ill.

If he is, we wish him well.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Writer paints unpleasant picture of Pat Bowlen’s health”
  1. joetoronto says: Mar 20, 2011 7:23 PM

Why do they keep trying to fool everybody?

It’s like the Wizard of OZ, someone is behind the curtain pulling the strings.

2. jc1958cool says: Mar 20, 2011 7:24 PM

is ELWAY going to buy the team? seems funny how he’s team president now, good timing!!

3. apage53915 says: Mar 20, 2011 7:30 PM

As a Raider fan and of course a Bronco hater…I am hoping his health is OK and if not, of course a speedy recovery.

4. iknowfootballandyoudont says: Mar 20, 2011 7:35 PM

Elway doesn’t have enough green to buy the team.
    Surely if he is in declining health a few of the other owners must know. Stan Kroenke in play??? He already has the Nuggets, and Avalanche. He can have his wife “buy” the Broncos or sell her the Rams and him buy the Broncsos.

5. SpartaChris says: Mar 20, 2011 7:36 PM

Broncos fan by proxy, since the fine piece of woman who shares my bed with me is a huge one. Here’s hoping that it’s nothing serious and he has a speedy recovery.

6. tednancy says: Mar 20, 2011 7:38 PM

I think it’s extremely rude to tweet a thing like that.

Have some friggin respect.

7. thefiesty1 says: Mar 20, 2011 7:52 PM

Doesn’t Elway have his proxy? Who was there for the walking dead Al Davis?

8. duanethomas says: Mar 20, 2011 7:55 PM

Tweet something like that and its his opinion and speculation at this point. Disrespectful. Why doesn’t he do what reporters use to do, investigate, interview, and research before reporting. Just disrespectful and lazy reporting.

9. vbe2 says: Mar 20, 2011 7:56 PM

Weren’t there stories about his memory back during the whole Cutler fiasco?

10. toe4 says: Mar 20, 2011 8:04 PM

Whoa. Major timeout.

Nobody, NOBODY deserves to be suffering in this type of way and to have people standing to the side and snickering at them.

Shame on you.

11. toe4 says: Mar 20, 2011 8:14 PM

Mike,

I know there is always a rough judgement call as to whether or not you are going to repost this type of reporting.

As a fan of your site I want my voice to be heard in saying that I would be in great favor of you not reposting this type of reporting in the future.

You can post that whatshisname is reporting that Bowlin appears gravely ill or something along those lines and offer us a link but you don’t need to add your name to this sort of demeaning “reporting.”

The specific would likely be humiliating to Bowlin (or any of us if we were in the same predicament I should think) if he read them and there is no reason to add that negativity to the world.

And I’m not only a Colts fan but a pretty vocal anti-owner person on the boards. So its not like I’m such some Broncos fan who is thin skinned.

12. profootballwalk says: Mar 20, 2011 8:16 PM

“SpartaChris says: Mar 20, 2011 7:36 PM

Broncos fan by proxy, since the fine piece of woman who shares my bed with me is a huge one.”

You mean someone who posts on this site has kissed a girl? Shocking!

13. bcknights says: Mar 20, 2011 8:20 PM

Really don’t know the man. From what I have seen of him seems to be a good onwer. I wish him well, and if he is ill. We all should pray for him.

14. hobartbaker says: Mar 20, 2011 8:32 PM

That is the kind of tweet you would expect from someone named Bart Hubbuch. Especially a guy named Bart Hubbuch who looks like the person in the picture on his Twitter page. Even more especially from a guy named Bart Hubbuch who looks like the guy in the picture on Bart Hubbuch’s Twitter account who makes a living writing for the New York Post.

15. hobartbaker says: Mar 20, 2011 8:36 PM

This is for all those who scoffed at the jokes and rumors going around about the NY Post recruiting from special ed classes. Clear visual evidence. Accept it and own it.

16. skoobyfl says: Mar 20, 2011 8:36 PM

Ralph Wilson has looked that same way for a decade, is this news?

17. hobartbaker says: Mar 20, 2011 8:39 PM

PFT, keep bringing back Bart Hubbuch. (Lol, I just said “Bart Hubbuch”).

Anyway, keep bringing him back, there is a lot of pent up bile that still remains to be spewed on the stupid turd.

18. sportsjustice says: Mar 20, 2011 8:41 PM

From a Patriots fan, We have so much respect for that team and that city and it’s all due to the steady hands of Pat Bowlen as Broncos owner. We all hope no truth be found in these rumors.

19. lodan60 says: Mar 20, 2011 8:44 PM

Live in Denver, rumors last couple of years, Elway has been trying to assemble group to buy Broncos. Only rumors, but have heard them frequently.

20. tfbuckfutter says: Mar 20, 2011 8:45 PM

Prognosis is pretty bad…..Apparently Josh McDaniels is his doctor.

He already has traded his liver for 2 appendices and a 4th round draft pick.

21. lanjoith says: Mar 20, 2011 8:46 PM

Rumors have been going around for months here in Denver that Bowlen is suffering from dementia. The tweeter was just making an observation. If Robert Kraft or Bud Adams showed up looking awful I am sure he would have tweeted it as well.

22. awdlmd says: Mar 20, 2011 8:52 PM

I hope there is a succession plan that doesn’t involve a trust fund baby taking over control.

23. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Mar 20, 2011 8:53 PM

He’s 67 years old.

24. sdboltaction says: Mar 20, 2011 8:57 PM

@spartachris

We need pics of so called fine piece of woman.

25. 3octaveFart says: Mar 20, 2011 9:03 PM

SpartaChris says: Mar 20, 2011 7:36 PM

“..since the fine piece of woman who shares my bed with me..”

let her hear you say that and it’s hello couch.

26. SpartaChris says: Mar 20, 2011 9:14 PM

3octaveFart says:
    Mar 20, 2011 9:03 PM
    SpartaChris says: Mar 20, 2011 7:36 PM

“..since the fine piece of woman who shares my bed with me..”

let her hear you say that and it’s hello couch.
    ====================
    Yeah, no biggie, she’s used to me saying things like that by now. When I told her I said it, she merely rolled her eyes. Would take a lot more than that for her to boot me to the couch.

27. Deb says: Mar 20, 2011 10:40 PM

Mike, you know the New York Post is one of the least reputable papers in the country and has always been almost on a par with supermarket tabloids. No matter what rumors have been swirling about Bowlen, anything tweeted by a Post reporter has to be taken with a grain of salt. I’ve seen clips of Bowlen walking to and from CBA negotiations and he was walking without assistance.

I certainly hope Mr. Bowlen is well, but whether he is or not, I wouldn’t take a Post reporter’s word for his appearance since they’re well-known for embellishing.

SpartaChris … thanks for lightening up an otherwise sad topic. Yes, since it was a bizarre backward compliment, that comment probably would have just inspired eye-rolling from me, too LOL

28. pajoe says: Mar 20, 2011 10:58 PM

Find a pic of him next to Al Davis the Raiders owner and he will look like a young man…..actually anyone alive next to Al Davis looks like a young person….

29. whatevnfl says: Mar 20, 2011 11:24 PM

And that genius Bart Hubbuch is using an NFL logo that hasn’t been used in about 5 years. Sad.

30. stairwayto7 says: Mar 20, 2011 11:42 PM

Al Davis will outlast Bowlen and that is sad!

31. ursushorribilis says: Mar 21, 2011 1:57 AM

Pat Bowlen is an honorable, decent and overly trusting owner who has a “hands off” approach with coaches. Unfortunately, this overly-trusting approach led to many unchecked excesses on the part of past coaches.

The man was obviously exhibiting “diminished mental capacity” with the hiring and worse, – support for Mc Hoodie the Destroyer.

The Broncos are a good 4-6 years away from being relevant. Tragically, Pat Bowlen will probably never see another Lombardi trophy in Denver.

Get well Mr. Bowlen, you are a decent, honorable man.

32. hafftime says: Mar 21, 2011 6:41 AM

maybe at the next owners meeting dan rooney can heel him.