Next big name to join UFL: Marty Schottenheimer

M. Schottenheimer AP

It’s been a fun morning for the UFL.

While the NFL tries to solve its labor crisis, the UFL continues to roll out former NFL coaches to join the upstart league.

First came Jerry Glanville.  Now Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Marty Schottenheimer is “on the verge” of becoming the coach/G.M. of the Virginia franchise.

Schottenheimer hasn’t resurfaced in the NFL since being fired after a 14-2 season with the Chargers in 2006.  He’s 67 years old, but it sounds like he’s not done with football just yet.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
24 Responses to “Next big name to join UFL: Marty Schottenheimer”
  1. mick730 says: Mar 21, 2011 10:40 AM

Does the “Virginia franchise” have a name?

2. mike83ri says: Mar 21, 2011 10:45 AM

The return of Marty-ball. Love it.

Who cares if the NFLPA want’s to be a bunch of idiots, I’ll just watch the UFL.

3. mike83ri says: Mar 21, 2011 10:46 AM

Quality football for a fraction of the price. Thanks for letting me realize how replacable you are NFL.

4. oldbyrd says: Mar 21, 2011 10:46 AM

ho hum

5. rxrider2000 says: Mar 21, 2011 10:48 AM

Another team destined for great regular season and “No-Show” in any playoff games. As a Chiefs fan I know about “Martyball”.

6. godofwine330 says: Mar 21, 2011 10:48 AM

I have always been a Marty fan, from his days coaching my Cleveland Browns. Good for him. Good for that league. Even though I have yet to see that league play (I don’t have the channel) the league had to start somewhere. The AFL had a hard time starting up and eventually challenged the league. Now, I don’t think that the UFL plans the challenge the NFL in that way, but having some kind of Farm System might be the route that it is trying to take.

7. chapnastier says: Mar 21, 2011 10:50 AM

Why doesn’t the NFL push to employ the players of the UFL instead. Maybe they can start a new union all together that is willing to be fair. Sounds like a plan.

8. pftdabomb says: Mar 21, 2011 10:51 AM

I think they are the Destroyers

9. hafftime says: Mar 21, 2011 10:51 AM

” there’s a gleam men, there’s a gleam !”

10. slugdc says: Mar 21, 2011 10:59 AM

@mick730 The Virgina Destroyers

11. Joseph says: Mar 21, 2011 11:10 AM

I have no clue how the UFL will do but being that I live in Chesapeake and planned to go see a couple of UFL games to begin with.. if this is true I’ll DEFINITELY go. Long live Marty ball!

12. coachstram says: Mar 21, 2011 11:15 AM

Sorry, Virginia, for what you are about to endure……..

Now, if only Drew Brees would hook with the team – can you just imagine the eternal battle for attentiuon and face time in front of the cameras????

I dont think even Jerry Glanville could offset the “milquetoastiness” that Marty is gonna bring.

13. radrhatr says: Mar 21, 2011 11:26 AM

You don’t run the ball 75% of the time in the UFL, Marty!!!!

14. thefiesty1 says: Mar 21, 2011 11:39 AM

Good for the return of Marty ball. SD should have kept him instead of turning over a decent team to Norv.

15. keeponhating says: Mar 21, 2011 12:01 PM

haha mr raider hater couldn’t win the big one in the nfl so now its off to the ufl. how bad is it going to look on him when he can’t even win there?

16. MichaelEdits says: Mar 21, 2011 12:02 PM

The Virginia Chokers

17. bnwillard says: Mar 21, 2011 12:36 PM

Man, PFT is kind of disrespecting Marty by mentioning Jerry Clownville in the same article. I can barely stand to look at that rube, much less actively watch him coach a (semi) pro ball club again. Bleh.

18. ninjapleazee says: Mar 21, 2011 12:45 PM

aka.. the Washington Deadskins

19. jhorton83 says: Mar 21, 2011 1:13 PM

The UFL doesn’t have actual playoffs, just a championship game, so that should be a great situation for Marty. He won’t have a chance to choke.

20. bigdawgy54 says: Mar 21, 2011 1:28 PM

Marty is one of the very best that have coached the game!!!
    To criticize Marty’s playoff record is to show that you don’t know a good coach when you see one.
    Marty has been successful everywhere he has been. Yes, he has been snake bitten in the playoffs but, it’s just that…..snake bitten.
    He had the Cleveland Browns practically in the Super Bowl three times! Coaches do not play the game….the players do.
    Everybody has heard of “THE DRIVE” and “THE FUMBLE.” Marty didn’t play for the Browns, he was the head coach.
    AND AN EXCELLENT ONE AT THAT!
    I’D TAKE COACH MARTY IN A HEARTBEAT!!!
    Good luck coach!

21. metalhead65 says: Mar 21, 2011 2:53 PM

love all the trashing Marty gets on here. how championships have the teams he has coached and left won? I thought it was because he could not win in the post season is the reason teams got rid of him? how many championships have the chargers won since they let him go?great they have won a playoff game or 2 since then but how many championships? same as with Marty only with worse records because they don’t start winning untill the last month of the season.

22. dukemarc says: Mar 21, 2011 4:06 PM

Wow, the first piece of legitimacy the UFL has seen.

23. jagerbolt says: Mar 21, 2011 6:10 PM

If this happens I’ll actually pay attention to his team just to see Martyball live on.

24. ernestbynershands says: Mar 22, 2011 12:10 AM

Hey coach! I’m still in shape. Sign me. I promise I’ll hang on to the ball this time.