Report: Palmer atop Miami’s quarterback wish list

San Diego Chargers v Cincinnati Bengals Getty Images

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has accepted that Carson Palmer won’t be back with the team.   There’s another AFC team that would reportedly love to have him.

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that Palmer stands atop Miami’s wish list of quarterbacks who are potentially available this offseason.  The Dolphins prefer Palmer over possibilities like Kevin Kolb, Vince Young, Donovan McNabb, Kyle Orton, and Alex Smith.

“Palmer is the player folks in the Dolphins organization would love on a Dolphins jersey,” Salguero writes.  “None of this is my opinion. It’s the opinion of folks within the Miami organization who have done the work. This comes from folks who have watched the films or crunched the numbers or done the evaluations or talked to the men who did.”

Palmer’s situation is a little different than it is for the Eagles and Kevin Kolb.  Philadelphia clearly seems willing to deal Kolb, although it could be less advantageous for Philly to do if they aren’t allowed to make a trade before the NFL Draft.

Bengals owner Mike Brown and Palmer are in a different situation.  They could be in a standoff that lasts well beyond the draft, regardless of league rules.

If Brown bends from his no-trade stance, it sounds like Cincinnati has a very interested party in Miami.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Report: Palmer atop Miami’s quarterback wish list”
  1. bluvayner says: Mar 21, 2011 12:06 PM

Let’s not forget Peyton Manning, who may very well be available, if the union wins their case.

2. psuphinphan says: Mar 21, 2011 12:14 PM

I think Palmer is better than any of the other available QB’s as well. However, the real question is: Do the Dolphins like giving up their 1st round pick + paying Palmer the ton of money left on his current contract more than drafting a QB like Mallett or Kaepernick?

3. MichaelEdits says: Mar 21, 2011 12:18 PM

Miami could use both Palmer and Kolb. So could quite a few teams. The others on this list are either has-been or never-was. Replace Chad Henne with Alex Smith and expect the fans to get excited? Yeah.

4. pftard says: Mar 21, 2011 12:24 PM

Looks like a good time to not be a Dolphins fan

5. biggerballz says: Mar 21, 2011 1:03 PM

another washed up qb on the downslide, no wonder fiedler was the best qb since dan the man.

6. drumzan says: Mar 21, 2011 1:26 PM

Give Henne another year…especially with Henning gone.

7. jhorton83 says: Mar 21, 2011 1:44 PM

Seriously? Carson Palmer is just as accurate as Chad Henne. And that’s not a complement.

8. mackie66 says: Mar 21, 2011 3:08 PM

Somebody blowing smoke,,,,Dolphins will not give up a #1 draft pk for a, not quite over the hill, QB. who is owed a ton of money. Palmer is a west coast QB. The Dolphins run a pro-style offense. This trade wont happen. period…..The Dolphins will do what they’ve, for better or worse, have done for the past 15 yrs and that is look for someone to hold the reins untill a new francise QB can be found. Miami knows it needs more then a couple of big tough linemen. Sparano knows nothing runs or passes without an earthmoving offensive line.

9. bsizemore68 says: Mar 21, 2011 3:38 PM

As a fan you live for the good times and suffer the bad times, those who write now is a good time not to be a Dolphin fan sounds like a fair weather type of fan. I hate what happen last year with the QB/OC, however I am looking to improvement this season with the changes being made, I have been a fan from day one, even with the 1-15 season I suffer with the fans, and the perfect season I enjoyed so much, keep the faith. Bill

10. dgforreal says: Mar 21, 2011 3:45 PM

So he’s gonna like, sit on the jersey?

11. phinfan says: Mar 21, 2011 3:49 PM

I’m willing to give him a chance. However… I look at 2010 as a bit of mystery when it comes to the Bengals losing. He’s sorrounded by great talent: T.O./85, Shipley and Benson. Why can’t they win? I have to question whether its Palmer, and is he really the answer they think they need to have.

We could only find out but my best guess is just take a chance at draft.

12. mmickute says: Mar 21, 2011 4:05 PM

miami will draft Cam newton if he falls to them. remember how they reached for P White in the second round just two years ago. They love a qb that can run.

13. flapjack1231 says: Mar 21, 2011 4:12 PM

I’m a Dolphins follower & follow Armando’s blog. This is ALL speculative.

“Palmer is the player folks in the Dolphins organization would love on a Dolphins jersey,” Salguero writes. “None of this is my opinion. It’s the opinion of folks within the Miami organization who have done the work. This comes from folks who have watched the films or crunched the numbers or done the evaluations or talked to the men who did.”

Who in the organization? It’s not his opinion? OK, how does he know? Who has done the work or evaluations or number crunching?

You should REALLY stick to factual articles & not ones with no backing or even a hint of being able to be substantiated.

14. poodawg says: Mar 21, 2011 4:17 PM

Wherever Palmer goes ends up in the playoffs with at least one win after getting there.

The Bengals, no matter how much talent remains on the team, goes back to the ways of the 90s, with a similar season as the last one.

The Bengals will be severely exposed as a genuinely poor franchise with horrible management, and everybody will know what Boomer Esiason was talking about when he said of the Bengals, “They kill quarterbacks.”

15. nyjalleffingday says: Mar 21, 2011 4:24 PM

SEE? This is EXACTLY what I’m talking about.

The Cryami Dullphools have NO idea how to run a franchise at all.

16. jdmcmill says: Mar 21, 2011 4:45 PM

Amazing how quick Henne’s stock dropped. Early in the season people were saying he was ahead of Flacco.

17. thefiesty1 says: Mar 21, 2011 5:12 PM

But Mike Brown is too stupid to make a trade. Wishful thinking Fins.

18. ottomanismydog says: Mar 21, 2011 5:14 PM

LOL Palmer would play with another diva WR… guy can’t get a break.

Seriously though, this trade won’t happen so Miami can keep wishing.

19. texasphinsfan says: Mar 21, 2011 5:48 PM

If Henne is diarrhea, Palmer is solid poop.

It’s an improvement, but I’m still having bowel movements.

20. rajbais says: Mar 21, 2011 7:25 PM

With the subject of quarterback upgrade, did Rosenthal just mention Alex Smith with Donovan McNabb and Carson Palmer the same sentence?

I don’t have a journalism degree, but at least I come off less as a football writing hack than Rosenthal.

21. 305phinphan says: Mar 22, 2011 12:23 PM

I see Miami trading down in the first and possibly picking up a 2nd in the process. If they do and say the pick in the 25+ and Mallet is still sitting there I say go for it.

Mallet is the best QB coming out of this draft yet these draft analyst just can’t see it for some reason. (I know about the character concerns but Newton is the one with the BIG red flags and his is considered a possible 1st overall pick)

I’m still a Henne believer but there is nothing wrong with picking up extra insurance just in case. I just hope Ireland and company don’t draft for just this year (because their necks are on the line) and draft for the future of the franchise.

My first three picks if I was him: Trade down from 15 and acquire a 2nd: