King: Bengals among teams that have Julio Jones ahead of A.J. Green

Auburn v Alabama Getty Images

Peter King’s Tuesday version of MMQB dives into a new but growing debate in draft circles.   Could Alabama’s Julio Jones get taken ahead of Georgia’s A.J. Green?

King says the Bengals rank Jones ahead of Green on their early draft board.  NFL.com’s Gil Brandt wouldn’t be surprised if Jones goes first, and many view Jones as the “safer” pick.

This is the time of year that many long-held draft beliefs start to be questioned.  Green was seen as a lock as the best wideout in this class.

Sometimes, assumptions are challenged with good reason.  (Matt Leinart or Jimmy Clausen’s draft stock being a good example.)  Sometimes, all the chatter is nothing more than a smokescreen.

King says that the Bills won’t go wideout at No. 3 overall, so the first spot a wideout could likely go is Cincinnati.  (Sorry, we’re not buying the Panthers’ interest in Green as the No. 1 overall pick.)

The Bengals have reportedly received mixed reviews of Green’s practice habits and ability to block.  Jones doesn’t face the same concerns.  Either way, the Bengals will be looking at the wideouts closely because they certainly have a need there.

“My boss loves offense,” coach Marvin Lewis said.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
21 Responses to “King: Bengals among teams that have Julio Jones ahead of A.J. Green”
  1. packerrube13 says: Mar 22, 2011 3:57 PM

Ummmmm what? Reason# 5,234,981 that the Bengals will always be a terrible team. No change Jones should go before Green.

2. mrizzo44 says: Mar 22, 2011 4:02 PM

The combine just reinforced it for me. I’ve actually been saying all along that Jones should go before Green.

Just like last season, when I said that Demaryius Thomas should go before Dez Bryant. He did…..but it looks like I very, very wrong.

3. stevincinci says: Mar 22, 2011 4:22 PM

“My boss loves offense,” coach Marvin Lewis said.

He also likes his bald head rubbed. Doesn’t mean you do it.

4. packerrube13 says: Mar 22, 2011 4:43 PM

*Chance

5. sterilizecromartie says: Mar 22, 2011 4:49 PM

Anything goes when it comes to these teams draft boards. I realized that when I saw the Colts take Edge James over Ricky Williams when Williams was thought to be the consensus #1 RB in the draft.

6. theguywhotoldtimtebowtoshutthefup says: Mar 22, 2011 5:04 PM

mrizzo44 – What was the point of commenting. That was pointless at best.

7. fordwuzanazi says: Mar 22, 2011 5:14 PM

Why did Marvin re-up with this joke of an organization? Dude is at least a great d-coordinator and could land a job just about anywhere. He had his chance to leave and decided to stay knowing some trouble with Palmer was on the horizon. His comments regarding his “boss” seems to indicate that he knows Brown is unconventional which is fine when you win, but when you’re the Bungals… I would be looking elsewhere for employment as a coach or player.

8. beastofeden says: Mar 22, 2011 5:24 PM

I remember watching Jones’ college day signing. He was being called “Baby T.O.”

J.Jones has always impressed me with his Size and hands. AJ Green seems like a flash in the pan.

9. 49ersforever says: Mar 22, 2011 5:27 PM

I feel sorry for any team dumb enough to take Jones before Green. Julio Jones is definitely a good receiver but A.J. Green is on another level.

10. moneymike23 says: Mar 22, 2011 5:29 PM

God bless you Mike Brown.

11. rojones82 says: Mar 22, 2011 5:40 PM

Im not that surprised, Jones is a far better run blocker, while i’ve been watching some film of Ingram he stands out on a lot of his plays as a fantastic blocker. Cant say if seen anything of Green block. And we all know a good set of blocking WR’s makes for big running plays.

12. freebird2011 says: Mar 22, 2011 9:02 PM

Has Matt Millen taken over the Bengals front office?

13. Kave Krew says: Mar 22, 2011 9:21 PM

Peter King, too much beer tasting with coffee shots today??

The Bengals? The Bengals are your go-to source for draft advise?

14. whodey58 says: Mar 22, 2011 9:32 PM

This is completely B.S. because of two words: Andre Smith. The Bengals are not going to risk another high draft pick w/ a broken bone in his foot. Andre Smith cost them almost two years of production because of it. I could throw in Chase Coffman as well. Depends on when the CBA gets signed but if they dont think they can get Joseph, they will take Patterson if he’s there. Safest pick in the draft.

15. whodey58 says: Mar 22, 2011 9:35 PM

Peterson not Patterson, Patterson has been killing me in hoops, he’s always on my mind.

16. getweird4u says: Mar 22, 2011 9:49 PM

The bengals prob. do have jones rated higher,I never heard jones complain about catches,he run blocks and he is tough…he is the anti ocho

17. mountaindont says: Mar 22, 2011 9:53 PM

Green has to be better then Jones. Based on the Bengals history of the draft you should always do the opposite of what the Bengals do. How many top 10 picks has this team had in the past 20 years ? How many are or were relevant in the NFL ? Like none

18. easyeintennessee says: Mar 22, 2011 10:46 PM

Does Julio also have to rehab a broken ankle for 9 months like his buddy Andre smith? If so, I’d say he would fit right in. Lafeavor to Green….. I like the sound of that myself….

19. samoanjungle says: Mar 22, 2011 11:14 PM

“My boss loves offense”

Further proof Marvin still doesn’t have final say in personnel.

20. gregjennings85 says: Mar 23, 2011 10:37 AM

AJ Green = Mohammad Massaquaoi (sp), Mike Williams (SEA), etc. He’s a big, rangy kid that dominated college CBs based purely on size and movement ability. Everyone in the NFL is an elite athlete, and any #1 or #2 CB can move a lot better than Green. I think he will be a solid, albeit unspectacular, possession receiver in the NFL, nothing more.

Julio Jones = Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, etc. While athletically Jones is in the same breath as Johnson and Moss, based purely on size/speed ratio, he clearly doesn’t have the same quality of hands as they do. What makes Jones jump out to me, as I have been saying all year, is his blocking ability, and moreso, his desire to be a big factor in the run game. With his size and speed, beyond taking a few short dump-off catches to the house, Jones will undoubtedly help his team’s respective RB to break off a number of long runs. That blocking ability is a direct result of Julio Jones’ team-first attitude, which is a basic pre-requisite of most elite NFL prospects in our current day-in-age. AJ Green is a diva and is grossly overrated, IMHO.

21. godellthewreckingball says: Mar 23, 2011 2:14 PM

So if the Bengals rank him higher does that mean he has character issues?