Leonard Weaver agrees with Adrian Peterson

Leonard Weaver AP

Last week, Vikings running back Adrian Peterson created a stir by comparing NFL players to “modern-day slavery.”  Many disagreed with Peterson.  Eagles fullback Leonard Weaver is one of the exceptions.

“We as players want to make a statement that you know what, we love playing for you all, we love your owners, you know?” Weaver told Derrick Gunn of CSNPhilly.com.  “We love you guys very much, but at the same time we need to see some equal opportunity here and stop treating us basically like Adrian Peterson said, like slaves. . . .

“We as players, we are an important part of this agreement here and an important part of this league.  We care about our benefits and who we are.  It’s not just about money, but it’s about our livelihood after the game of football.

“I want people to understand that we as players are gonna stand strong in our opinion and we’re gonna really fight this thing until it gets solved.”

That’s fine, but NFL players aren’t slaves.  They’re currently feeling the squeeze of owners who think the players are getting paid too much money and want to pay them less of it.  But NFL players aren’t slaves, and they aren’t being treated like slaves.

Instead, they’re being treated like 99 percent of all American employees.  The boss makes the rules, and if the employees don’t like it, they can go work somewhere else.

Permalink 128 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
128 Responses to “Leonard Weaver agrees with Adrian Peterson”
  1. soia311 says: Mar 22, 2011 11:04 PM

I am a big fan of Leonard Weaver because of his work ethic and character, but I also thought he was intelligent.

You think ya know a guy…

2. kazkal says: Mar 22, 2011 11:05 PM

[quote]Instead, they’re being treated like 99 percent of all American employees. The boss makes the rules, and if the employees don’t like it, they can go work somewhere else[/quote]

And that other 1% are the owners the businessmen,If they want they can take their millions of dollars they make from the game start a business and do the same thing.

You guys think your the only ones who make sacrifices Really?

3. backuppunter says: Mar 22, 2011 11:08 PM

RANT, RANT, RANT, RANT, RANT

4. shaggytoodle says: Mar 22, 2011 11:08 PM

While I fully agree, with the need for retired players or players that were forced into retirement due to injury and may not be able to carry a normal job like many. Completely something that needs to be addressed.

Most players make enough to live off of for a quite substansial amount of time. They just dont need 4 houses 7 cars, and 10 gfs.

Spend your money WISELY and don’t piss it away on a shark tank like you see in the Bonds movies.

5. help me says: Mar 22, 2011 11:09 PM

I used to not understand how some people can find racism in anything.

I still don’t understand but it is making a little more sense now.

It’s not that they are race-baiting.

They are just ignorant.

6. eaglesmantk says: Mar 22, 2011 11:09 PM

I love the Eagles and Leonard but he is an idiot, always has been

7. hobartbaker says: Mar 22, 2011 11:10 PM

Leonard will be relieved of house duties and sent back to work in the fields for acting uppity.

8. moggy6actual says: Mar 22, 2011 11:10 PM

That’s exactly the attitude that keeps more fans from supporting the players. Compare an NFL player with a military service member who can face far greater danger for far less pay. Compare an NFL player with a convenience store worker who has a high probability of having a gun shoved in their face at some point.

I’m certain many NFL players own businesses, so I guess their workers are slaves too and that makes the player a…. you guessed it… slave owner.

Silliness.

9. thetobygrizwold says: Mar 22, 2011 11:11 PM

Weaver is scared of his shadow.

10. smacklayer says: Mar 22, 2011 11:12 PM

TO ALL PLAYERS: Yes, we understand that you are an important part of the game. But you are a REPLACEABLE part of the game. The owners and league are far more important than you. You are like actors in a movie. Yes a good actor will sell more tickets, but after you are gone there will be new actors to make new movies. You are VERY well compensated and more stupid things like this you say, the less endearing you are to fans, and in return less important to the game. So please, STFU.

11. johnjosephyossarian says: Mar 22, 2011 11:13 PM

Just as obvious as it is that players aren’t slaves, it is also obvious that there are some pretty interesting parallels. Your rights are owned by owners, and if you don’t like it you can’t just pick up and go play for another team. You are owned. Yes handsomely compensated, but you lack the ability to control your workplace. Free agency helps, but the majority of players don’t get a second contract. Agents of the owners (coaches) control every aspect of your day, report back to the owners, who then implement institutional control over you. Your weight isn’t even up to you, nor do you get to choose your own food. You have a required daily caloric intake, and if the owners or agents of the owners tell you to gain/lose weight and you don’t, they can institute measures to force you. There’s a lot more to the parallel, but you get the point.

Now does that make it “modern day slavery?’ Heck no, and it was a dumb comment. And not only because the forum in which it was said was not the right place for it, or b/c it was not done with a serious focus. People don’t grow up dreaming to become slaves. It was a real foot in mouth comment because of its timing, but there is a lack of player rights in the NFL.

12. elrushbo2 says: Mar 22, 2011 11:13 PM

Another brainless wonder. Go get a real job you piece of human garbage.

13. jshawaii22 says: Mar 22, 2011 11:13 PM

Interesting quote from you, Mike —

….Instead, they’re being treated like 99 percent of all American employees. The boss makes the rules, and if the employees don’t like it, they can go work somewhere else…

actually, that’s Leonard’s argument. With a draft and limited free agency, and once under contract, he CANT go anywhere he wants.

Think about it! For someone who says they report down the middle, this is a blatant example of why you aren’t. Just like how you treat East Coast vs. West Coast when it comes to NFL in general.

js

14. kom2k10 says: Mar 22, 2011 11:15 PM

You’re absolutely right Leonard. You should ditch those multi-million dollar contracts for 5 months worth of work… You should try going to other “non-slave” industries, like sales… where you have to work 8am to 7pm so that you HOPE that you can make some form of commission for your days work. And if you don’t close a sale, you’ve basically worked for free that day.

You’re right Leonard… the grass is definately greener on this side of the fence… c’mon over to our world and come get your “equal opportunity” you and your other players are desperately seeking…

These guys have no perspective on anything. Just because you played football for 3 years, doesn’t mean you should never have to worry about insurance or money for the rest of your life. If you manage your money right, you may never have to work again for the rest of your life. But most of you guys are bankrupt after 5 years, so I doubt that an extra million here or there would make any difference for you. It would only support your erratic and irrational spending for another year or so.

I support the owners!

15. Kave Krew says: Mar 22, 2011 11:16 PM

Yeah, the 1800’s called, they want the current proposed ‘slave’ deal – it sure sounds better than the deal they have now……

16. peanutbutter&jelly says: Mar 22, 2011 11:17 PM

i hope this jerk and ap are the only ones making these kind of comments because if to many more players jump on board with this mind numbing stupidity we realy wont have football anymore

17. endzonezombie says: Mar 22, 2011 11:18 PM

Adrian Peterson used the expression ‘ modern day slavery’ in a broad context. In modern usage, slavery has taken on an expanded meaning. According to Meriam Webster, among its meanings include the following:

Definition of SLAVERY
    1: drudgery, toil
    2: submission to a dominating influence

Critics have to stop displaying such a narrow knowledge of the use of the english language.
    In context with his complete remarks, AP was stating that players have the freedom to choose what is best for them – that is the nature of collective bargaining.

18. nepatriots128154 says: Mar 22, 2011 11:18 PM

I thought it was only superstars like Adrian Peterson who were out of touch, but I guess even run of the mill players like this Weaver guy are completely lost too. Slaves? Really? These slave comments are some of the dumbest statements I’ve ever heard. If you’re tired of being paid about 800,000 a year to be treated like a “slave,” go find a normal job and watch that number be divided by 10.

19. bcgreg says: Mar 22, 2011 11:21 PM

Another dumbass.

20. webbrl says: Mar 22, 2011 11:22 PM

So let me get this straight because this just sounds like an outrage………(what a joke)

So the players have to work for rich people who make decisions that benefit their own pocket?! What…No???!!!
    And sometimes those decisions aren’t fair for the employees?! This is an outrage, I just can’t believe it!
    How about they ask anyone working a real job from minimum wage and up what it’s like to have a job that you don’t really care for and actually have no say-so regarding daily operations. On top of that, not getting hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars.

Get real players! Your millionare business men/athletes, not KINGS! Get in line, cash your checks and enjoy the life.

21. packerfantastic says: Mar 22, 2011 11:22 PM

When will the players realize that making lots of money as a football player is a privilege and not a right. If they don’t like the work conditions, go find another job. The players need to realize it’s football we love and not the players. Old players retire and new players come in and we still watch the games. If they used replacement players, I bet 80%+ of fans would still watch. I know I would and I’d root for my team with the same passion as I do with the current players.

22. tos420 says: Mar 22, 2011 11:23 PM

First I thought Douche Bag Smith was the dumbest member of the NFLPA just because of who he is.

Then it was Adrian Peterson because NFL players are slaves.

Next it was Rashard Mendenhall for agreeing with him.

And then it was Kevin Mawae because NFL players won’t be able to afford COBRA health insurance during the lockout.

Now it’s Leonard Weaver.

Wonder who it will be next?

23. donovanmcflabb says: Mar 22, 2011 11:25 PM

Amen.

24. packerfantastic says: Mar 22, 2011 11:25 PM

25. bernie19kosar says: Mar 22, 2011 11:25 PM

I hope I am there when Peterson, Mendenhall and Weaver have to get a real job.

If they think being a NFL player is slavery, I’m guessing they are going to be really upset when they have have to work a full 5 day work week.

Oh, the humanity.

26. 44kyle says: Mar 22, 2011 11:29 PM

Am I missing something here? I didn’t realize that the plantation owners paid their slaves an average of almost three million dollars a year.

27. Burritto says: Mar 22, 2011 11:30 PM

I don’t take saying this lightly, but I’m now to the point where I wish upon these fools the plight of a true slave. I can’t see another cure for college graduates who are so unbelievably out of touch.

Disgraceful.

28. irchs1963 says: Mar 22, 2011 11:31 PM

“Modern Day Slavery” ??? I call it “Player Greed” !!!

29. paul82461 says: Mar 22, 2011 11:32 PM

another cry baby speaks out… and just think, I used to play football as a kid for free because I loved the game. What ever they pay you is too much! Hope you have a back up plan.

30. adeedothatswho says: Mar 22, 2011 11:32 PM

Peterson and Weaver are morons. They’re comments are offensive to me as a black man, as a white man, and as a broke man. Name me one child that ever wanted to become a slave when they grew up? That was on the Slavery Team back in high school? That hired an agent to negotiate his slavery contract? These guys are almost as far from reality as Charlie Sheen. If they really feel like slaves they should be informed they have the freedom to leave. Those ‘other’ slaves weren’t so lucky.

31. 2dimesandanickelback says: Mar 22, 2011 11:35 PM

if it’s modern day slavery then does their vote count as 1 vote, or only 3/5 of it?

These guys are embarrassing their mommas with their ignorance.

32. Burritto says: Mar 22, 2011 11:38 PM

@endzonezombie

Please expand upon which of those definitions you feel applies to their situation.

“Submission to a dominating influence” can be taken one of two ways:

1) Any type of defeat, in which case we are all slaves on a regular basis, rendering the word insignificant and meaningless.

2) Submission to something truly dominant. Not an employer or any individual, but to something that truly has dominion. (Please understand “domain” before replying to this.)

33. kom2k10 says: Mar 22, 2011 11:44 PM

Anyone who defends the slavery comparison because “the players cannot move freely from team to team” is an idiot!

They signed a CONTRACT with a team… even as a rookie. That contract that they FREELY signed says that they are not able to switch teams. They are FREE to NOT SIGN THE CONTRACT.

Their contracts are an offer made by the NFL owner. They can choose to sign that deal and accept the terms, or they can seek employment elsewhere… perhaps Footlocker or Sams Club are hiring. They are all FREE to make their choice….

34. lt2369 says: Mar 22, 2011 11:45 PM

Mike,

Not to nit pick, but the way you phrased it, it sounds like the players are being asked to take a decrease in pay.

What they are being asked, is to accept smaller annual raises – something many of us would love to get in this economy even if they are small.

35. mmickute says: Mar 22, 2011 11:45 PM

AGH! Why did one of my Eagles have to jump in this mix! … Before I could say, ‘At least my team doesn’t have any out of touch psycho’s.’
    ….. agh.. I used to like this guy…

36. Xenu D. Alien says: Mar 22, 2011 11:47 PM

Tiki Barber’s been free about 4 years, and is looking to find his way back on to a plantation. It must not be too bad down on the farm…

37. nolanorth says: Mar 22, 2011 11:48 PM

A free education provided while you play football in order to have a career playing football (ya you get paid to play football) and you don’t even learn the concept of slavery? Let alone that of your own people? And just in case you don’t know better the US didn’t invent slavery!

Your ignorance is as comical as D. Smiths understanding of business practices!

It gets harder and harder to cheer for these guys!

Maybe I do love the uniform and the city more then the glowns wearing them!!

Go team (incert city here)

38. kom2k10 says: Mar 22, 2011 11:55 PM

The sad thing is that I’m sure there are many more players feel who feel the same way as AP, Mendenhall, and Weaver, but they’re at least a little smarter because they’re not making those thoughts public.

I’m sure they all talk amongst eachother and have covinced themselves that the rest of the world just doesn’t understand what they’re going through. It’s that type of group think that has led us to DeSmith and the NFLPA hijacking our season to get these spoiled players more rights that they don’t even deserve.

39. patfic15 says: Mar 22, 2011 11:58 PM

endzonezombie says:
    Mar 22, 2011 11:18 PM

yadda yadda yadda….I find it hard to believe that a dictionary would sneak its way into many the homes of the aforementioned players…

40. sml1950 says: Mar 23, 2011 12:02 AM

Oh Lord, PLEASE make me a slave!

41. eaglesfan290 says: Mar 23, 2011 12:03 AM

Wow I am a huge Leonard Weaver fan, but I agree I guess you never know what a guy is all about till he speaks. This is the last guy on the Eagles I would expect this from, hope he was misquoted!

The average American makes $43,365 a year and Leonard Weaver makes 2.6 Mil a year!

Ok to break that down that is like working 60 years for the average guy, plus if you put it in the bank and invest that over 6o years which the average guy can’t do because he doesn’t get a lump sum it is closer to 100 times what the average guy makes in 60 years.

Players are a huge part of the league, but so is a doctor to a hospital, a lawyer to a law firm, a foreman at a manufacturing plant! The fact is athletes are born with special skills where as the rest of us have to go to school to gain those skills to contribute at work and make a living.

Leonard here is something else to consider as we go to school a lot of us rack up a ton of debt in college loans just to work. As a football player you got a full ride and it was free.

Beyond that the comparison that players are slaves is not even factual on so many levels 1 you can leave the Eagles any day you want, of course you have been paid a bunch of money upfront so you will have to give some of it back! 2 Wow nice slave quarters you got there how big are the house and car Weave? 3 Get real you are an employee like the rest of us and the profit sharing in the NFL is pretty sweet 50/50 most of us would kill to split the profits with our boss!

In closing you are partners with the NFL, but you want to be treated and paid like an Owner! If you want to be an Owner I am sure the league would be more than happy to oblige, I mean if you are making 50% of the profits and not responsible for any operational costs do the math guys they make less that you do.

The only time an owner makes a windfall is when he sells his team.

That’s just a fact.

42. volcom2143 says: Mar 23, 2011 12:16 AM

Hmm he’s just mad he’s never going to play football again . His injury was so gruesome . He’s usually really smart but he looks like a moron with these comments . Owen schmidt played well in his absence though

43. discostu570 says: Mar 23, 2011 12:17 AM

Except, of course, that NFL players have severe restrictions placed on their ability to “go work someplace else.” 99% of American employees will never be drafted, traded, or franchise tagged.

So, if we want Adrian Peterson to shut up about slavery, we have to change the rules so my friends and I can go buy uniforms and schedule a game opening weekend against the Dallas Cowboys and sell the broadcast rights to whomever we like. Til then, there will unfortunately be some truth in AP’s comments.

44. doe22us says: Mar 23, 2011 12:25 AM

hey weaver how is your leg??? what a moron

45. danetow says: Mar 23, 2011 12:28 AM

I really wish a guy like Kurt Warner would speak up against this moronic attitude the players have. The problem is that these players have been handed everything to them because of their athletic ability. A guy like Warner whom has been in a position like the “rest of us” might be able to inform the players of what a luxury their life is.

The real question isn’t how can the owners treat the players like this, its how dumb can these players be with their money? I would bet my life savings right now that if I played one year in the NFL for say 2 million dollars; I wouldn’t have to work another day in my life. Like already said these guys are paid to much and its amazing with how much money they have that they couldn’t find someone to, ya know, manage it for them. Idiots.
    I have absolutely zero sympathy for any of these over paid panzys. There isn’t a job in this world that an employee deserves to make 5-10 MILLION dollars a year.

46. ragujar says: Mar 23, 2011 12:28 AM

Tom Brady…20 million a year and married to Gisele Bunchen…obvious slave.

47. joe6606 says: Mar 23, 2011 12:30 AM

“Instead, they’re being treated like 99 percent of all American employees. The boss makes the rules, and if the employees don’t like it, they can go work somewhere else.”
    ————————————————
    not really.

unlike 99% of american employees, NFL players have a job where they are, (or at least many are) irreplaceable.

An NFL filled with scabs (aka not the best foot ball players in the country) is SUBSTANTIALLY lower in value. would I pay $250 for a nose bleed ticket to see Ryan Leaf ? hell f-ing no.

the only thing that gives the NFL value, is the quality of its players. If a group of billionaires decided to invest in a rival league, and bought out all current NFL stars, the NFL, despite its 75 year history would take a massive hit.

ergo, unlike the rest of us, the players can use to get deals better than the rest of us ever would.

why do you think the rumors are today that CBS is thinking about rehiring Charlie Sheen? even though he’s a drug infused nutjob, people LOVE to watch him and you simply cant find someone else to replace him on a show that (for reasons that I find bizarre) a ratings juggernaut

48. halftermguv says: Mar 23, 2011 12:32 AM

In an economy where most everyone has experienced financial struggles of some sort; out of touch comments by millionaire athletes can only hurt their cause.

Keep it up knuckle heads, by July you’ll have zero support. I’ll burn my Terrible Towel and watch the CFL if these comments continue to mount up.

49. machiavell says: Mar 23, 2011 12:34 AM

free agents go to the highest bidder…….
    theyre bodies are run into the ground physically for the entertainment of others……….(thus others benefit from their demise)

They wear they’re underwear while rich men speculate and decide to acquire them…….

i mean philosophically it kind of lines up

they are making a large amound of money, but since their are they only ones receiving negative repercussions shouldn’t they recieve more money? then owners who sit on their ass?
    otherwise they are just victims of an authoritarian figure in their lives

the parallels do line up.

50. endzonezombie says: Mar 23, 2011 12:34 AM

It’s far more revealing on this site to see the comments that earn overwhelming thumbs down than the comments that get mass approval thumbs up.

51. endzonezombie says: Mar 23, 2011 12:37 AM

“Peterson and Weaver are morons. They’re comments are offensive to me as a black man, as a white man, and as a broke man.”

A secondary education might help you focus better on whcih person you actually are.

52. king7key says: Mar 23, 2011 12:40 AM

help me says:
    Mar 22, 2011 11:09 PM

“It’s not that they are race-baiting.

They are just ignorant.”

Do yourself and the world a favor and delete your _ _ _ _!!!!! You a ignorant _ _ _ _ _!!!!

Half of the people who on this site taking shots at AP and Weaver wouldnt say it to they face so STFU!!!!!! I dont like the comments the made but yall taking it to far. GET A LIFE!!!! Step away from the computer…get out ya moms basement for a while and go get laid or something. Call them ignorant all you want but they paid…while yall broke @s* sitting at home worry about they comments. Get to the level they at then call them ignorant. they was smart enough to make it to the league and be two of the best players a their positions. Now ask yourself who sound more stupid? Dont worry I’ll wait>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>…. Most of the ppl who comment on this site is some B!t*^es. The reason the game is getting so soft.

53. turk2875 says: Mar 23, 2011 12:43 AM

If Weaver’s knee injury wasn’t the worst ever then I don’t even want to think how bad the worst was. He’ll be lucky to if he ever plays again. That was brutal.

54. vahawker says: Mar 23, 2011 12:43 AM

Maybe Leonard can use that free university degree to get a non slave job that can support him the manner he feels is appropriate for a person of his elevated worth.

55. ramsfanjoe says: Mar 23, 2011 12:51 AM

I invite these poor modern day slaves each and every one of them to get in the cab of my truck with me and go on a 2 week run. I will be very happy to pay them my salary for the two weeks, around 900 a week. I will also be very happy to do all the chaining, tarping, straping ect. in all weather types from -25 below to 125 above! Eat truck stop food thats either raw or burnt up, with all the no idle laws when you get to sleep, probally 5 hrs a night if your lucky you will either freeze or burn up, and after 2 weeks of my job, tell me all about how the NFL has made a slave out of you! You spoiled pampered athletes are the biggest bunch of Morons out there with your million dollar houses and your collection of Bentleys! Slaves? Give me a Break!

56. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Mar 23, 2011 1:04 AM

I’ve sat down and had conversations about this and I firmly believe professional sports is more like ancient gladiators. You have team owners who employee these physical specimens to play very physical sports while crowds come and watch every play. I mean come on you can’t imagine espn back in the ancient greek days for gladiators? I bet you Chris Berman has a distant relative who reported on these events and made the same exact sound effects.

57. ezmoover says: Mar 23, 2011 1:13 AM

Hey, just kind of curious here on the “new NFL rules”.

Can guys like Dallas Clark and Peyton Hillis use the “slavery thing” in their NFL labor arguments too?

Or is that just reserved for the “other” NFL slaves?

58. SpartaChris says: Mar 23, 2011 1:14 AM

These guys are f’ing retarded. Playing in the NFL for 7 figure salaries is NOTHING like the genuine modern day slavery that unfortunately still exists in this world.

The players really need to get a grip on reality. Between Visanthe Shiancoe sobbing about being underpaid because he hurts his widdle pinkie playing football to Scott Fujita complaining about the costs of health care to Adrian Peterson, Rashard Mendenhall and now this idiot, it’s really becoming tough to find any sympathy for the players.

Don’t like it, don’t play. Do something else. Yes, it really is that easy! Idiots.

59. moneymike23 says: Mar 23, 2011 1:17 AM

What an ignorant bum, both of them need to grow up. I can’t believe more people weren’t outraged after Peterson made those comments.

60. thatdude32 says: Mar 23, 2011 1:26 AM

i love the nfl but these need to quit talkin for real mr weaver and mr peterson you want modern day slavery i am workin a job for 7.25 an hour to make ends meet no i am not an athlete but you sir are not a modern day slave either so please spare me all the bulls**t you talkin about whinin like f**kin baby come take a walk on my side of the tracks then you would’nt make stupid a** comment like that

61. dfinpds says: Mar 23, 2011 1:31 AM

Lets see…..Johnjosephwhosadbag….there is no parallel between slavery and modern football players…if you don’t like your every move controlled by the team, just don’t sign the contract….duh…..or you can go play in the ufl or cfl…..not the most pleasant choices but viable options…..duh and endzonezombie…….do you honestly think these moronic players were thinking of a different definition of slavery than what the posters on this sight are ASSUMING???????? Seriously? Just because they went to college doesn’t mean they actually went to class……Maybe you should ask them in what context they were using that word…..if they know what context means……duh

62. matthewdn says: Mar 23, 2011 1:37 AM

Weaver and Peterson are just plain idiots! If you don’t like your job, find a new one!

63. ursushorribilis says: Mar 23, 2011 1:38 AM

Again, the new CBA should have a cut-off Wonderlic score for players to be drafted…..we want our “role models”…ahem “slaves” to demonstrate a modicum of intelligence before being paid millions to play a GAME……

I wonder how many “working people” would happily trade pay checks with Adrian and Leonard…….

Entitlement leads to detachment from reality……

64. prd3806 says: Mar 23, 2011 1:47 AM

Better to be thought a pinhead than to speak and remove all doubt.

65. gobills716 says: Mar 23, 2011 2:00 AM

These guy’s are morons. They probably don’t even know what the word slavery means… These guy’s have more than enough money saved to make it through a lockout. Even a guy making the league minimum is probably in the 98th percentile in the country. The closest thing in this country to “modern day slavery” is not the NFL lockout it’s THE PERSON WHO WAS TRAFFICKED FROM THEIR HOMELAND AND FORCED TO WORK HERE FOR NO PAY, a.k.a SLAVERY!! Maybe if these guy’s paid more attention in History class growing up (or if they had an IQ above 50) they would know what slavery really is…slaves don’t have a mansion to sleep in every night, slaves don’t have to worry if they were going to get their $100 steak well done or medium-well. Slaves have no CHOICE NFL players DO.

66. Cowboys-Forum says: Mar 23, 2011 2:16 AM

So walk up to my boss and ask for a meeting. I told him there where some things we needed to discuss.

You see, this all started a few years ago, where among other things, the boss and I came to an agreement to divide the profits of the company 60-40, in my favor. Seeing how generous it was I gave him the option to opt out of this agreement after a few years. Well, he had the nerve to opt out of it. I mean seriously. Sure, he takes on all the financial risks of running the company, and pays me a great salary on top of providing great benefits. But I do work long hard hours with the company for 6 months out of the year. And don’t forget the week here and weekend there the rest of the year. I bet you, if I added it all up I probably work 7 maybe even 8 months out of the year!

And don’t forget the time I put into work on “my own time” the rest of the year! If we count that, I probably work all 12 months of the year and if I’m lucky I only get 3 or 4 weeks of actual vacation a year! Can you believe that? I work with this company 12 months a year, get maybe 3 or 4 weeks of vacation. And this guy doesn’t want me to take 60% of the companies profits. He can’t run the business without me. I’m the one actually doing the work, while he sits up in his office and twiddles his thumbs! This company was doing pretty well before I got her, but now that I’m here, it is really doing great. Sure, my boss “says” he has lost some money the past year or two and that growth of the company isn’t rising as expected, but, pfft.. I don’t believe him. I even asked him to show me his audited financials for the last decade to prove it, but he wouldn’t, he want to only show me a few years! Crazy man!

I mean all the data needed to determine whether or not he is telling the truth is a matter of public record via tax documents and other sources, but I need to see how he is spending his own personal money too. The nerve of this guy!

I know what some of you are thinking. You probably think, I make 10 million a year! No way. I make about 770,000 per year and on average most people in my business only last about 3 or 4 years. In all, I’m only going to make about 2-3 million for my career here! unbelievable! I have a family to feed. And if you haven’t heard enough. Do you know that salary isn’t GUARANTEED! If he fired me for some reason, I wouldn’t get paid for the rest of the year I didn’t work for him! What kind of crazy stuff is that! Seriously! He can fire me without cause and then NOT pay me the rest of my contract! I’ve never heard of such a thing! He needs to wake up to the real world!

And now, he has the nerve to lock me out of my office. He isn’t even paying my health insurance. I have to foot the bill for cobra insurance! Man, cobra insurance! And I have to pay for it! I’m so mad! I was only making 770K per year for Pete’s Sake! How can I be expect to pay ALL of my own insurance!

I know what I’m going to do. I’m suing! He made me work 6 months per year. Had me come in to work for another month or so per year. Paid me a measly 770K per year and provided great benefits on top of sharing 60% of his profits with me and now he has the nerve to ask for something back!

Where’s my lawyers number!

Domer

67. ernestbynershands says: Mar 23, 2011 2:39 AM

WAAAAAH!!!!
    Poor players, er, slaves??!!?
    Leonard has been hit in the head too many times if he feels like a slave. Fortunately he, like most athletes, are in one of 2 occupations they are qualified for. The other, convicted felon.
    Atleast we can pay to watch these ‘slaves’ on Sundays. We could be paying to support them in the big house during their ‘other’ career.
    I’m gonna continue to to watch my team for free and not spend any of my money on anything NFL.
    Let’s watch them, but spend little or no money on video games, jerseys, etc. That would be more like slavery.

68. ernestbynershands says: Mar 23, 2011 2:48 AM

@Burrito,
    You are assuming that pro caliber players actually attend classes and earn enough credits to graduate. Even if they attend for 4 years, they still could not pass enough classes to graduate.
    When you refer to college graduates in the NFLPA, you speak of a select few.

69. footballfan292 says: Mar 23, 2011 2:52 AM

Two problems with this “slave” argument.

1. Slaves are not paid millions of dollars.
    2. No one is forcing you to play football.

70. mizzousooner says: Mar 23, 2011 2:55 AM

They should free their troubled minds and emancipate themselves from the horror that is the NFL. Oh, I hear Tractor Supply is hiring.

71. worldatlarge1 says: Mar 23, 2011 3:19 AM

Take a look, endzonezombie’s post gets down-thumbed 71 times, while presenting a legitimate opinion in a properly written, well-developed post.

Meanwhile, peanutbutter&jelly’s post, which looks like it was written by my 5-year-old nephew gets up-thumbed 49 times and down-thumbed once, simply because he has the popular opinion which consists of “ROBBLE ROBBLE THESE GUYS R STUPID LOL, THEY ARE NOT SLAVES, I MAKE SUCH LITTLE MONEY AND THEY MAKE SO MUCH MONEY.”.

You all need to grow up, this site is now the trashbin of Football integrity, from the posts to the comments. I bet this post will get down-thumbed out of the park, and I’ll love it, because you’ll prove me right.

72. goawayeverybody says: Mar 23, 2011 3:20 AM

Gosh, it seems like ages since we’ve had any mention of Michael Vick…..

73. JimmySmith says: Mar 23, 2011 3:31 AM

I can now see being a dumbass is not just limited to the Vikings and their fans.

74. dabearsk says: Mar 23, 2011 3:40 AM

Slavery ?? For real ?

Again with hysterical and bizarre rants… these guys truly are not ready and live in some alternate universe…

They are being asked to take about 5% – 7% pay cut… and all of a sudden it’s the end of the world…

I can’t believe I wasted my time responding but the comment is just too dumb to not respond to…

Can these guys even spell burgers ? because at the rate they are going they will be flipping them…

75. realfann says: Mar 23, 2011 3:43 AM

@adeedothatswho

You’re a black man AND a white man?

Okaaay.

Guess we call you stripey.

76. childressrulz says: Mar 23, 2011 4:48 AM

__________________________________
    Keep it up and they just might start their own league. Sure they wouldn’t make anything at first but imagine the cheap ticket prices. The players with the most money could be the new owners. Have a big draft for current players and then have another for this years incoming players. Screw those dusty old farts.

77. rojones82 says: Mar 23, 2011 4:54 AM

Just goes to show how dumb this guy is. I mean you see how people justly react to Peterson, and even if you agree with him you think “i better keep my mouth shut because im a fool” but no he still engages mouth before brain and guess what.

Another reason to hate the players in this situation. dumb ass … dumb ass ……. dumb ass, i guess thats the one thing they do have in common with slaves from back in the day “poorly educated if at all”

78. saberstud75 says: Mar 23, 2011 5:24 AM

Hmmmm, I am in the military. The process of joining the military involves being measured, poked, inspected, and tested.

Also in the military, you go and live where they tell you. You do a job that they tell you, and you leave your families to go to different countries when they tell you.

I cannot switch jobs when I chose and I cannot give up when it gets too hard. The job I do in the U.S. Army is also physically difficult and has long-term effect on my body, but I do it without complaining.

I have NEVER considered myself a “modern day slave.” Why? BECAUSE I CHOSE TO DO IT!

I wish these players would get over themselves and get a reality check.

79. broncobeta says: Mar 23, 2011 5:33 AM

Ugh this is it. The players are so out of touch with reality. Get a real job and see what it’s like.

I’m sick of waiting around, I have better things to do with my time.

80. bbb82 says: Mar 23, 2011 6:52 AM

Treated like salves? No. Treated like prostitutes? Yes.

81. blkmanwtan says: Mar 23, 2011 7:04 AM

You guys are taking what Weaver saying out of context. Most of you guys never played in the NFL but you are telling him that he should be happy about the situation.
    Stop taking what the man said out of context it is not about money.

82. bbb82 says: Mar 23, 2011 7:05 AM

Sorry players, Peterson and Weaver have made my side with the owners, regardless of the argument.

If you are going to be this ignorant, you don’t deserve a better deal. Now I hope the lockout continues so these guys have to go out into the real world and work a real job.

83. chapnastier says: Mar 23, 2011 7:08 AM

Fan support for Owners just hit 98%. Keep it up players, keep talking and you will lose the last 2% for your stupidity.

84. phillyfinsfan says: Mar 23, 2011 7:13 AM

He should have just said ‘rented mule’ instead.

85. fordwuzanazi says: Mar 23, 2011 7:14 AM

Eff the owners and eff the players. The players do squander the small fortunes they make for the most part and are by no means slaves. Robert Griffin and Barry Sanders are two guys who had the fun sucked out of the game they did love because at the end of the day you are a replaceable piece of meat to the owners, but these guys didn’t consider it slavery.
    Eff the owners because these guys like Richardson, Jones, and Snyder would poison a public reservoir if they could make a couple mil off of it and not get caught. That’s how narcissistic greed works. These guys that have billions often have the compassion and care for fellow humans comparable to a SERIAL KILLER (studies have been completed showing this). I love to watch football played at its highest level, but as I said Eff the owners and the players both. I watch for my entertainment not these (owners and players) ego driven, out of touch jerks.

86. dryzzt23 says: Mar 23, 2011 7:18 AM

Don’t give me this horse-s**t about players “rights”

The player SIGNED a contract which was negotiated by the PLAYERS agent and the player CASHED the signing bonus check

Show me a slave that has negotiated their terms and cashed a bonus check

IMO Weaver is using his color to advance his position, which, IMO, amounts to racism, thus Weaver is a racist

87. lawyermalloy says: Mar 23, 2011 7:30 AM

Slavery? Give me a break!
    If you don’t like it go work on another “plantation”!

88. tv426 says: Mar 23, 2011 7:42 AM

As Pink Floyd says “..the lunatics, are in the hall…”

89. silverbackdk says: Mar 23, 2011 7:53 AM

Of course players are not slaves, but I don’t think the take that “they can go somewhere else to work like 99 percent of all americans” is accurate either.

If there was no draft and actual free agency with restrictions and tags, then it would accurate. But there are serious restrictions on players’ freedom to choose who they work for. So even though it is not slavery and players are mostly paid better than most I can see why players would feel their freedom is restricted.

That said I still believe there should be a draft with limitations to salary for 1 round picks, but contracts should be relatively short and outperformers should be handsomely rewarded. I’m opposed to restricted free agency and similar measures.

90. The Doctor says: Mar 23, 2011 8:04 AM

“The boss makes the rules, and if the employees don’t like it, they can go work somewhere else.”

What is wrong with that? The owners pay hundreds of millions of dollars for the opportunity to own a franchise. They have earned the right and privilege to call the shots. If the players don’t like it, clean out your locker and go home.

91. theytukrjobs says: Mar 23, 2011 8:05 AM

All this really amounts to is a textbook union/ownership battle over money. That’s it. These guys have just been so removed from reality for so long that they almost think they’re in some special case.

Players, like any other union workers, have every right to be pissed and fight for the best wages they can get.

I guess what is special about this situation is that both sides of the struggle make really good money.

92. eagleswin says: Mar 23, 2011 8:06 AM

=================

That’s what I’ve been saying all along.

93. dspyank2k11 says: Mar 23, 2011 8:09 AM

Why would anyone dream of making a time machine when we have comments like this?

94. eagleswin says: Mar 23, 2011 8:15 AM

johnjosephyossarian says:
    Mar 22, 2011 11:13 PM

——————-

When you work for the top dog in an industry there’s going to be more requirements/restrictions. He is still free to go to one of the competitors in his chosen field (CFL/UFL). If he wants the salary/compensation of the NFL he has to put up with their rules. The day NFL starts losing large numbers of employees to the competition is the day they will think about changing their requirements, just like any other business.

From what I’ve seen and read so far since the CBA expired, there’s very little that can be done to make the employees happy except to pay them whatever they want and don’t tell them what to do. That doesn’t fly in any company.

95. juancorsair says: Mar 23, 2011 8:21 AM

endzonezombie says:

Definition of SLAVERY
    1: drudgery, toil
    2: submission to a dominating influence

********

Let’s put things in perspective for a moment:

Adrian Peterson is no genius. He is a jock that skated through universtity on a scholarship and now makes a kings ransom not because his mental ablities are above the norm, but because of his athletic prowess carrying a football. Don’t try to make him sound like an English professor who has a far greater command of the English language than the average joe who posts here. It is pretty obvious what he meant by “modern day slavery” and it is quite simply an ignorant comparison.

Modern day slavery may be an apt definition if we were discussing sex trade workers or child labourers in southeast Asian sweatshops. It is not an apt description for millionaire athletes who make more money than 95% of us will ever see in out lifetime by playing a kid’s game for five months out of the year. Give it up already.

96. dspyank2k11 says: Mar 23, 2011 8:23 AM

Alright! Peterson and Weaver created a Time Machine!!!

97. tazman234 says: Mar 23, 2011 8:29 AM

Leonard you are my man and everything, I know you personally but slavery is not something to compare this to. You are not OWNED by the league, you have a contract that at any point and time you can get out of. Its negotiations, you should support your other players but don’t blow smoke up the fans butts. The only folks who are suffering right now are us fans. Get your fellow players back to the negotiating table and get a fair deal for you and the other “slaves”

98. uncommon1 says: Mar 23, 2011 8:34 AM

C’mon guys. They’re worried about their futures. What happens when they hit 37 and can no longer play in the NFL? We can’t expect them to work at another job. That wouldn’t be fair. they should get to retire at 40 and live off of their nest-egg just like every other hard working American. Can you imagine if we expected them to work after their first choice of emplyment was no longer an option. Oops, i almost threw up

99. ProFootballHasBecomeAJoke says: Mar 23, 2011 8:36 AM

Add another boxcar to the AP-Mendenhall Fool Train.

100. panther17 says: Mar 23, 2011 8:38 AM

johnjosephyossarian,

It is not a right to play football for a living. It’s a privilege. If you want to play in the NFL, agree to the rules set by the owners of the NFL. If not go some where else and get paid your millions with your degree you got.

Otherwise, agree to the rules in place like everyone else has to do when getting a job but for the players they get a job that comes with money, women, high status, etc. There are things players have to give up if they want that and if they have a problem with it, hit the road.

And you can pick up and play for another team. There is a CFL and AFL. There is plenty of local semi pro / amateurs who never made it leagues that play flag football.

endzonezombie,

“Definition of SLAVERY
    1: drudgery, toil
    2: submission to a dominating influence

In reply to what you wrote and the definition you supplied that I quoted you from, all employees are modern day slaves. We all have to be in submission to a dominating influence if we are not the boss. Even if we don’t like that boss and quit and go to another job, we still will be in submission to a dominating influence of another boss. So still no sympathy for the players who think they are modern day slaves. No sympathy for ungrateful players who live a better life then billions of people yet think they are being oppressed.

And no, they are not modern day slaves. They walk into their situations with open arms, wide greedy grin, and sign on the dotted line to become very wealthy men. Even the league minimum is more then what most people make.

101. daytonaken says: Mar 23, 2011 8:40 AM

All through this mess the owners put forward an intelligent, united front while the players alienate the public with stupid, offensive remarks. The longer this goes the stupider the players appear which certainly works to the owner’s advantage. Are the players uncontrollable or is their leadership that poor?

102. rad312 says: Mar 23, 2011 8:51 AM

Another idiot heard from……do the players actually believe such comments help their cause……

103. wiley16350 says: Mar 23, 2011 8:54 AM

Some people just don’t get it, the players may not be able to play for any NFL team, but they are free to go play football for the CFL, UFL or AFL. Just because the NFL drafts them, doesn’t mean the NFL holds their rights. The team that drafts the player only has the players rights once the player agrees to a CONTRACT, which is a mutual agreement. Even after having a contract the player is free to quit or retire at any time and then go do some other type of work. The only thing you can come back with is that they can’t make as much money in other leagues or other jobs. Which in return I say, EXACTLY, quit the crying because you make more money playing in the NFL then you would anywhere else.

104. blackqbwhiterb says: Mar 23, 2011 8:56 AM

Another oppressed minority being held down by the man………….
    News Flash- Without the players, football will go on. With new scab players, football will be played, TV ratings will be high, money will flow all over the NFL.

Without the owners, there ain’t no football, no TV ratings, no stadiums packed, no money, no nothing….

105. jennstergersburnedretinas says: Mar 23, 2011 8:57 AM

So Leonard…

After you have a horrific knee injury in which your career is threatened, you say that the guy who gave you this opportunity is a enslaving you? Here’s a quote from last year about your “slave master” by YOU a-hole:

“I guess before I do anything, I just want to give honor to God for this opportunity. This blessing, great blessing, to be able to have some stability here in Philadelphia. I want to thank my mother and father for their support, my children who have been there since day one and I also want to give a big thank you to coach Andy Reid, (General Manager) Howie Roseman and obviously the owner, Jeff Lurie. Those guys did a great job in putting this together and giving me this great opportunity. It’s a blessing to be here.”

So, slave, you hate it here, right?

106. meglasdad says: Mar 23, 2011 9:00 AM

I realize that the only way most of these guys would get on a college campus if they weren’t super athletes would be as part of the landscaping crew, but do they constantly have to prove it? Every time one of these clueless idiots opens his mouth, the more I support the owners. SHUT UP ALREADY! YOUR NOT HELPING YOUR CAUSE!

107. cmstrick says: Mar 23, 2011 9:15 AM

I’m so sick of these self-absorbed jackasses wasting my air and your bandwidth complaining about how bad they’re being mistreated.

We don’t care. We don’t sympathize. All we know is that you get paid OBSCENE amounts of money to play a game most of us would play for free.

The reality is that your NFL paycheck puts you in the upper 1%, and you’d have to be an idiot to expect sympathy from the other 99%.

You’re not slaves. You’re employees.

Don’t like your job? Quit.

And don’t be stupid enough to think that anyone will stop watching the NFL just because you morons aren’t on the field.

108. henrypuppyhead says: Mar 23, 2011 9:39 AM

endzonezombie says: Mar 22, 2011 11:18 PM

————————————

I suggest you crack open that dictionary and look up “hyperbole”. When you’re done, hit a couple of history books and do some analysis of chattel slavery vs. this new kind of slavery you seem to believe is occurring.

I definitely support the players using their collective bargaining power to get a fair contract out of a lucrative business, a business that they generate. I especially support the notion of player insurance after the game is over.

With all that said, let’s not be silly and pretend that the word “slavery”, especially in the context we know it in the U.S., has any part of this argument.

I suggest you get a better grasp of reality instead of your literal interpretation of the word “slavery”.

109. Kave Krew says: Mar 23, 2011 9:49 AM

Hold your calls- we have a winner…

The best description yet AND something the players can better relate to…..

bbb82 says
    Treated like salves? No. Treated like prostitutes? Yes.

110. lucky5927 says: Mar 23, 2011 9:52 AM

Then that makes two idiots!

111. melonnhead says: Mar 23, 2011 9:56 AM

—————————————————–

I believe the author said that Weaver can go work somewhere else. Just not in the NFL.

So basically what you’re saying is that he’s just like everyone else in the world that can’t work where they want to simply because they may want to really bad.

112. bigd9484 says: Mar 23, 2011 9:56 AM

When are the tryouts for replacement players going to take place? I want in on the “suffering”.

113. lucky5927 says: Mar 23, 2011 9:57 AM

Even Lawrence Taylor thinks that’s stupid…

114. Kave Krew says: Mar 23, 2011 10:01 AM

Endzonezombie- do you even like football?

Just messing with you bro…….good to see you having fun in your sandbox……..btw, a Mike Vick story has arrived at PFT right on schedule – go get ‘em tiger….

115. ponci21 says: Mar 23, 2011 10:24 AM

I think the owners should free all of these slaves and let them go work 9-5 jobs like the rest of us. I have been a huge Adrian Peterson fan and always respected Weaver as a person, but what can I say? THEY ALL MAKE ME SICK!!!

116. endzonezombie says: Mar 23, 2011 12:43 PM

It is interesting that so many posters are jealous of athletes but not the owners. Posters here keep mentioning that the players make more money in a lifetime than than 95% of all Americans. What they fail to appreciate is that the NFL uses high schools and colleges as the farm system for it’s labor pool. The NFL encourages this career path with a wide array of camps run by its players and coaches. The NFL is a career path for this large pool of athletes. It wouldn’t surprise me if less than 1% of the athletes who begin this career path actually make an NFL roster. Along the way, injuries derail many a career. Every NFL players lives in fear of his career suddenly ending. Owners don’t have to live with such a fear. When is the last NFL team that folded? That fear factor and anxiety – the average NFL career is less than 4 years – is the reason why NFL players fight so hard for salaries and benefits in a CBA negotiation.

117. childressrulz says: Mar 23, 2011 1:30 PM

lt2369 says: Mar 22, 2011 11:45 PM

Mike,

_____________________________________
    Ummm… no the owners are asking the players to take a pay cut. That way the owners can continue to raise ticket prices, and fleece tax payers to fund their stadium projects all the while pocketing more money.

118. contra74 says: Mar 23, 2011 3:18 PM

Thumbs up if you want me to post JimmySmiths contact information.

119. wiley16350 says: Mar 23, 2011 4:16 PM

__________________________________
    This is wrong, the salary cap will be increased from last season, just not by the same margin it would have if they continued the previous CBA. So the guy you were trying to refute is correct. The players are being asked to take a smaller increase. Very few players currently under contract will be affected by the new CBA (if any, in terms of money). The only ones will be (as always) guys that are not performing up to the standards of a high salary cap number. And one of the reasons the owners want to decrease the players share is so that they don’t have to increase the ticket prices because they feel they have hit the limit of which many fans are willing to pay (which is evident by many teams not selling out games last season). So again you are completely wrong and off base.

120. juancorsair says: Mar 23, 2011 4:40 PM

endzonezombie says:

The same could be said about Fortune 500 companies and high-end investment firms that use ivy league colleges for much the same purpose. Much like the best college football programs, ivy league schools are also attended only by the lucky few. The best graduates of these programs then tend to move on to lurative jobs making far more money than the average American (much like a pro athlete). Seeing how these two lucrative ventures hold so many similarities, are you supporting the notion that the employees of Goldman Sachs are “modern-day slaves” as well?

121. smellmyface says: Mar 24, 2011 10:59 PM

@king7key

Sound like you be done gets a free ride to college an didnt make it to de league.

You sound just as stupid as the uneducated players.

No way should the players make more than the owners. My boss doesnt know half of what i do and couldnt do half of the work. But you know why he makes more $ than me??? He started the company and pays to maintain it. It the IT network crashes he pays to fix it, I collect my check and go home. Some people are just so stupid thinking the players should make more because the owner sits on his a!! Until some of the players get together and BUY a team they have no right to complain.

I know Obama has told you everyone should be rich but thats not how it works in the real world. you will always have rich owners and people that work for them.

122. cypresshill says: Mar 25, 2011 9:30 AM

Sign me up for slavery, I’ll take a few game checks to be a slave, O wait I’m white is it still ok? And have a somewhat of a brain, slaves didn’t get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a week, slaves didn’t chose their profession they were sold and treated like animals, you on the other hand play a game and work for a corporation that does not in anyway give you any right to ask them to show you their profit & loss statements, if you and your friends want to see NFL owners books buy your own team, take your own risk, and run your own organization, unlike most of you players these owners had to go to college and really learn how to make a living and not get pushed through, so shut up and listen for once take what your given, and hire someone to watch your money for you, so you will be prepared next time, tell the hoe’s at the club that you be wantin to be savin’s your be monies cause i just be playin a games for a livin’s and been’s toll by my boss i can’t be see his books, it’s really a simple life just live with in your means, don’t think you have the right to see a man’s personal or business financial’s, try to just worry about you, your talent, your overpaid ass for playing a game, your money not your boss’s. Sorry for the long rant, but really?

123. thefactor51 says: Mar 25, 2011 12:19 PM

I am a player and these guys are crazy. Now the NCAA. That is more like slavery to me. What % do college athletes get.

124. jayniner says: Mar 25, 2011 2:52 PM

Thank you 49ers organization and players for staying out of this….so far we are proud fans.

Just keep the media away from Vernon Davis….

125. twindaddy says: Mar 25, 2011 8:59 PM

College athletes get a free education. It may not be millions of dollars, but it’s still tens of thousands of dollars they DON’T have to pay.

126. 1twinsfan says: Mar 26, 2011 3:35 PM

Good gravy. What’s is it with these incredibly well paid players. AP lives about three miles from me in a house that runs about $650k in that area. Yes, we go to the same McD’s or should I say go at? Meanwhile, in my neighborhood, I sit in my $200k twin home and thank the lord that I received my first raise in two years and hope one day, I can afford to go to a Vikings game. It’s not the NFL’s fault that few players have an actual skill they can utilize when not playing like Jared Allen.

127. 1twinsfan says: Mar 26, 2011 3:42 PM

And Adrian, quit speeding! Contrary to your opinion, hwy 5, 212 and Viking Drive are not the US extensions of the autobahn.

128. thefactor51 says: Mar 27, 2011 10:25 AM

Twin daddy. Not all college athletes are on scholarship and have their school paid for but they contibute to the large sums of money to the NCAA and colleges. And even the scholarship might be less than 1 percent of the huge money that is generated from big time football and basketball.