Buddy Ryan battling cancer

Rob Ryan, Buddy Ryan AP

Jets coach Rex Ryan said Tuesday that his dad, former NFL coach Buddy Ryan, is battling cancer.

It’s going to take more than this to get rid of him,” Rex Ryan told the New York Daily News. “That’s what he always says.”

Rex Ryan did not say what type of cancer his dad has, other than to say it is not melanoma, which Buddy Ryan has had twice before.

“He’s 80 years old, but he’s doing great. He’s tougher than s—,” Rex Ryan said. “He’s had other things in his life. He overcame encephalitis. He’s overcome cancer twice. He’s tough.”

Buddy Ryan coached in the NFL for three decades as head coach of the Eagles and Cardinals, defensive coordinator of the Bears, Vikings and Oilers, and linebackers coach of the Jets.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
22 Responses to “Buddy Ryan battling cancer”
  1. MichaelEdits says: Mar 23, 2011 10:43 AM

When he does biofeedback, he calls the cancer “Gilbride.”

2. ampats says: Mar 23, 2011 10:45 AM

Best wishes to the Ryan family.Hopefully, Buddy will get to see his son’s coach many more season’s in the NFL

3. jw731 says: Mar 23, 2011 10:49 AM

Best regards to Buddy…….Eagles fans will never forget that defense….Ever….It’s funny how Andy Reid has won many playoff games in Philly, and Buddy never won one….But Buddy’s popularity far outshines the corporate entity Reid is…..To quote Buddy…..”hell, i don’t know, ask the guy in france”….

4. Kave Krew says: Mar 23, 2011 10:52 AM

i hope he 46’s it…good luck to a colorful character in nfl history

5. ny82jy says: Mar 23, 2011 10:53 AM

Sad to hear. Get well buddy. I never like to hear about anyone battling cancer. That sux

6. oldbyrd says: Mar 23, 2011 10:59 AM

Buddy gave The Phila. crowd a lot of great times. God bless you and make you well Buddy.

7. aasukisuki says: Mar 23, 2011 11:03 AM

If I were Buddy Ryan I’d be telling Rex to STFU. None of his promises ever pan out.

8. CKL says: Mar 23, 2011 11:13 AM

Buddy is a salty SOB but I saw a piece once on him and his second wife who I think had Alzheimer’s. Whole different side to him. I hope he beats this.

9. lunarpie says: Mar 23, 2011 11:17 AM

We’re with you all the way Buddy!
    v/r,
    Philadelphian

10. iggles07 says: Mar 23, 2011 11:25 AM

I am sure I can speak for most Eagles fans when I say Philly’s thoughts and prayers go out to you buddy.

11. gridassassin says: Mar 23, 2011 11:37 AM

While this is sad, if Buddy Ryan passes, he can settle the score with Dave Duerson for spreading malicious racially charged gossip about him.

12. krisko says: Mar 23, 2011 12:07 PM

i “hate” the guy from a football rival standpoint, but you never ever want to see this, i hope he beats it. i’ll be a ryan family fan for this.

13. jlb10 says: Mar 23, 2011 12:31 PM

Best wished to Buddy and the Ryan family. I hope you pull through this

14. longislandcowboysfan says: Mar 23, 2011 12:56 PM

Good luck to the whole Ryan clan. They’ve been tremendous for the NFL.

Best wishes and good luck to you, Buddy.

15. bigbluefan1 says: Mar 23, 2011 1:04 PM

While Buddy was always the guy you want to hate at times like these I wish his family well and hope that rex does not put his or anyone elses foot in his mouth

16. baboushka says: Mar 23, 2011 1:15 PM

I am a life long Bears fan. I grew up in Chi-Town. And I was there in 85 for the SuperBowl win over Boston (where I ironically have lived for the past 17 years. Buddy is one of my very favorites. And my heart goes out to him and his family. He is indeed a crusty old fighter. In fact I never forgave Mike Ditka for forcing him out of Chicago and replacing him with old “Bend, don’t Break” DC Vince Tobin. That change was the main reason that great Bears team only won 1 SuperBowl. They easily had the talent to win 2-3. GodSpeed Buddy!

17. crubenst says: Mar 23, 2011 1:27 PM

Here or in heaven, just remember always that “Buddy’s watching you.” The greatest music video of all time.

18. baboushka says: Mar 23, 2011 1:29 PM

Reminiscing about the great Buddy Ryan also made me think about the irony that I personally live in places when they won so many championships. for example.
    1. I was in HS in Chicago when George Halas’ Bears won the NFL Championship in 1963
    2. I was a student at the U of Wisconsin during 4 consecutive Vince Lombardi led Green Bay Packer Championships (including the 1st 2 Super Bowls)
    3. I lived in Cincinnati When Sam Wyche led the Bengals to their only SuperBowl appearance
    4. I lived in Chicago for my personal favorite Da’ 85 Bears!
    5. I lived in Indianapolis when the Colts snuck into town in the dead of night. And until last September, was in business partnership and commuted to Indy during both Colts Super Bowl runs.
    6. Have lived in Boston for 5 Patriot SuperBowls (1 by Parcells and 4 by Belichick).

That’s a lifetime of Championships (14) I have witnessed as a home town fan. But Buddy’s was my treasure.

19. hobartbaker says: Mar 23, 2011 1:32 PM

God was hoping to eradicate Buddy before he spread. But it’s too late now.

20. sjoyner59 says: Mar 23, 2011 1:50 PM

love Buddy for bringing football back to Philly,the Eagles had the most intimidating defense ever ….gang green defense still my favorite Eagles unit ever- hang in there and fight Buddy

21. joetoronto says: Mar 23, 2011 3:08 PM

If anybody can beat it, Buddy can.

All the best, coach.

22. nesuperfan says: Mar 23, 2011 4:43 PM

We hope he makes it until your next Super Bowl win in September.