Chad Ochocinco begins his Major League Soccer tryout

ochocinco AP

Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco, who’s looking for something to do (and something to keep his name in the news) during the NFL lockout, has begun his Major League Soccer tryout.

Ochocinco began his four-day trial with Sporting Kansas City today.

According to the Associated Press, Ochocinco was moving fluidly on the field while more than 40 media members watched him getting individual instruction from assistant coach Zoran Savic.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has belittled Ochocinco’s soccer ambitions, in another sign that Ochocinco probably won’t be back in Cincinnati when (or if) the 2011 season begins. But Ochocinco seems to like spending time with Sporting Kansas City: He said on Twitter, “What an awesome place Kansas City is, just getting here and it feels like home already, superb hospitality.”

Perhaps he’ll end up with the Chiefs.

UPDATE: Video proof.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Chad Ochocinco begins his Major League Soccer tryout”
  1. dmackerman says: Mar 23, 2011 12:49 PM

Good for him. Just because you look good on the soccer field doesn’t make you any less of an idiot, unfortunately.

2. burntorangehorn says: Mar 23, 2011 12:50 PM

C’mon, 8-5, when’s that pro boxing tryout going to happen?

3. medtxpack says: Mar 23, 2011 12:54 PM

he wont be singing such an nice tune if he makes the team and realizes how big their checks are…

4. brentsaindon says: Mar 23, 2011 12:58 PM

Um, that last line is not funny. I don’t see him as a Todd Haley kind of guy.

5. b7p19 says: Mar 23, 2011 1:03 PM

Go get ‘em Ocho! I love this. Love it.

6. jaggedmark says: Mar 23, 2011 1:05 PM

Ain’t a damn thing wrong with him running a pitch with Sporting Kansas City right now. Nothing going on in the NFL anyway.

7. goawayeverybody says: Mar 23, 2011 1:05 PM

He’s right, Kansas City is a nice place. I always love to visit there.

8. 3octaveFart says: Mar 23, 2011 1:06 PM

I wonder if he showed up for his tryout with “Future HOF’er” stitched onto the back of his shirt?

9. knowerofallthings says: Mar 23, 2011 1:07 PM

who cares? what a freakin loser

10. thegonz13 says: Mar 23, 2011 1:12 PM

He’ll have less time to tweet during games… if he makes it that far!

11. danimalk82 says: Mar 23, 2011 1:13 PM

He’s always talked about acting after he’s done playing football, maybe he is just getting tips from the best actors on the planet…. wimpy soccer players. HEY-O!

12. chapnastier says: Mar 23, 2011 1:14 PM

Still Americans don’t care about soccer

13. denverhoopdreams says: Mar 23, 2011 1:14 PM

As a Chiefs fan I wouldn’t mind this at all. My father would flip though, he hates Chad Johnson.

14. hobartbaker says: Mar 23, 2011 1:16 PM

Scouts suggested a sport where Chad did not have to use his hands to catch the ball.

15. malgorthewarrior says: Mar 23, 2011 1:16 PM

as a chiefs fan, i would take some ocho cinco’s production. but no one would take his attitude especially todd haley

16. kevo126 says: Mar 23, 2011 1:18 PM

he has showed interest in the acting business so he might be good at flopping/soccer…

if he makes the team, i feel bad for the mls and soccer…i mean the guy hasnt even played in the past decade.

17. drexelvol says: Mar 23, 2011 1:18 PM

Like he’d actually make the team. Child, please.

18. hobartbaker says: Mar 23, 2011 1:19 PM

Chad already feels like he fits in. On a soccer team, Ochocinco, is one of the simpler and more easily pronounced names.

19. pftdabomb says: Mar 23, 2011 1:23 PM

Im Like Marvin Lewis, and I can understand his frustration sometimes with Chad, but I’m on board with Chad trying out something different, especially with the labor issues continuing. This can only help his speed and footwork.

20. Jay says: Mar 23, 2011 1:23 PM

As a Chiefs fan I sincerely hope he ends up with the Raiders.

21. wiscoboy says: Mar 23, 2011 1:23 PM

Awesome! I can’t wait until Clay Matthews starts wrestling!! Screw the NFL. I’m sick of these stupid news articles.

22. king7key says: Mar 23, 2011 1:24 PM

Just glad to see chad stay active instead of sitting on his @** getting fat and out of shape like a alot of players doing right now.

On another note: Why are most black players always referred to as “ignorant” on most comments on this site. I never been one to scream racism at most black / white situations. Its almost like most of you want to call them the N word instead. Stop being a feline and say what you mean in public to a group of black people instead of hiding behind the internet. Better yet you can come to 7071 Maple Grove Rd. Olive Branch MS. 38654 and say it to ME or I can come to you don’t matter.

23. writtenbyross says: Mar 23, 2011 1:27 PM

I don’t know why they’re going through a tryout. They’ll sign him even if he’s terrible just to sell tickets attached to his name. I’ll be more interested if he’s playing and awful, personally.

24. nookers says: Mar 23, 2011 1:43 PM

This is news? Give the guy a break, at least hes doing something .. unlike that bum the players have representing them.

D-Smith = Idiot

25. thevikes85 says: Mar 23, 2011 1:47 PM

Shouldn’t he be training for his boxing match????oh yeah that is right he is all mouth no action.Good luck with the tryout Chad,you can’t be as bad at that as you were last season with football.Remember if all else fails just blame everyone else on the team,if you make goalkeeper just blame your centre back for the goals you allow,just like it is Palmers fault you are no good anymore,weird how Owens played so well with the same qb this year huh????

26. enders9 says: Mar 23, 2011 2:21 PM

Jay says: Mar 23, 2011 1:23 PM

As a Chiefs fan I sincerely hope he ends up with the Raiders.

———————-

Why would you want a team that is better than the Chiefs to improve even more?

27. jmc516 says: Mar 23, 2011 3:05 PM

King7key,
    That made me laugh so hard I almost cried. I definately want to come over to party at your house. However, I looked through the article and comments and ignorant wasn’t used. Idiot was. I find Ochocinco very entertaining but at times he comes off very ignorant.

As a Bronco fan I don’t want to see Chad on KC or in my division at all. He still can score.

28. voxveritass says: Mar 23, 2011 3:06 PM

This is the perfect game for Chad. You’re not supposed to put your hands on the ball.

29. 7pints says: Mar 23, 2011 3:06 PM

Look at me!……. someone please look at me.

30. king7key says: Mar 23, 2011 3:44 PM

jmc516 says:
    Mar 23, 2011 3:05 PM
    King7key,

I said most comments not one in particular (check out other post on most stories ie: slavery comment AP or Weaver) …Your are more than welcome to come any day, any time of the week. You better come or I’m coming to your “PARTY”. See You Soon!!!

31. dexterismyhero says: Mar 23, 2011 3:53 PM

@king7key says:
    Mar 23, 2011 1:24 PM
    ===================================

Shut up wuss bag. It is an Internet site.

You wanna fight, give Tommy Z a call.

Blow hard…………………………….