Retailers at Dallas mall say they’ll miss Dez Bryant

0726_dez_bryant AP

With the lockout sucking the life out of the NFL, Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant has provided a welcome diversion.

He reportedly was banned from a Dallas-area mall after allegedly wearing his pants too low on Saturday.  Though Bryant denies the allegations, it appears that the banishment indeed occurred.  Clarence E. Hill, Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that Bryant’s adviser, David Wells, and a lawyer went to the mall on Wednesday in an attempt to have the 90-day time out lifted.

“It’s not true,” Wells said. “I was there.  I never saw a verbal warning.  I went back up there Monday and talked to security and they said nothing was going to come of it.”

Fine.  So why was Wells back there on Wednesday trying to get the ban lifted?

Hill reports that retailers at the mall have said both on and off the record that they’ll miss Bryant.  He reportedly shops at the Foot Locker store three times per week, and he routinely signs autographs for customers at the store.

“We are sad to see him gone,” an unnamed parking attendant at the mall said.  “He would tip of 40 or 50 bucks every time.  He was good to us.  He treated us well.”

For those of you looking to make things interesting, we suggest a friendly wager based on whether Bryant will return to the mall before he returns to work.

We’ve got a feeling the winner is “mall,” even with the 90-day ban.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
53 Responses to “Retailers at Dallas mall say they’ll miss Dez Bryant”
  1. androk23 says: Mar 23, 2011 11:19 PM

“He reportedly shops at the Foot Locker store three times per week”

Does the cowgirl have a shoe closet?

2. thetruuf says: Mar 23, 2011 11:19 PM

Thats what were talking about Dez! ..you show them owners who’s boss! Youre not about to start saving your money!

3. mick730 says: Mar 23, 2011 11:21 PM

I’ll put my money on the mall as well. I don’t think there’s going to be a season in 2011. Hope Bryant finds fulfillment in his three times a week visit to the Foot Locker.

4. WingT says: Mar 23, 2011 11:21 PM

So we have a multi millionaire that sends his team of lawyers down to the local mall to negotiate relief from the banishment penalty. Who did the lawyers talk to? Mall Cop, lol….unbelievable…you stay classy Dez

5. duanethomas says: Mar 23, 2011 11:24 PM

I wonder how many times he has met with his financial adviser this off-season? Why is he going to Foot Locker when he has a Nike contract? Why go where you’re not wanted and your every moved will be scrutinized from now on? He needs to grow up and realize just because he has great income, that doesn’t mean he is above the law or mall cop justice….

6. JayRock123 says: Mar 23, 2011 11:24 PM

Shopping 3 times a week?, tipping well?, signing autographs for fans? This must be the chractrer concerns everyone was talking about befor the draft…

7. JayRock123 says: Mar 23, 2011 11:27 PM

thetruuf says:
    Mar 23, 2011 11:19 PM

———————————————————————————–

If he keeps playing like he did last year, saving money will be the least of his Problems…

8. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 23, 2011 11:33 PM

Well at least Bryant is represented by some genius who never “saw” a “verbal” warning. No kiddin’?

Let me guess, this “adviser”, before Bryant was drafted, was one of Bryant’s buddies?

9. hobartbaker says: Mar 23, 2011 11:36 PM

Dez doesn’t really need anything from Foot Locker. He goes there just for “kicks”.

10. hobartbaker says: Mar 23, 2011 11:39 PM

Why should we believe what the parking attendant has to say when he is not willing to identify himself? It could be anybody.

11. hobartbaker says: Mar 23, 2011 11:43 PM

Dez says he wasn’t wearing saggys in any case. It’s just that sometimes when he dresses in the morning he is in such a hurry he gets his shirt tucked inside his shorts when he pulls them up. Kids were always giving him a hard time about it in school.

12. freedomispopular says: Mar 23, 2011 11:52 PM

How many shoes does a man need? And seriously, there are worse offenses than wearing one’s shorts too low.

13. buzzbissinger says: Mar 23, 2011 11:52 PM

Ever been to Texas? That is ALL they have, Malls, Strip Malls, and chain resturants…nothing to do but shop and eat.

14. charliewade says: Mar 24, 2011 12:09 AM

“It’s not true,” Wells said. “I was there. I never saw a verbal warning. I went back up there Monday and talked to security and they said nothing was going to come of it.”

How do you ‘see’ a verbal warning?

15. mizzousooner says: Mar 24, 2011 12:11 AM

Ha, they sold all of the baggy assed pants to Dez.

16. stonedwhitetrash says: Mar 24, 2011 12:14 AM

Dez is innocent. He could not find a restroom in time and his pants were carrying a huge load is why they were so droopy.

17. machiavell says: Mar 24, 2011 12:26 AM

Great football news!!!

18. ezmoover says: Mar 24, 2011 12:27 AM

Who’s been passing around those dirty little rumors that NFL millionaires are idiots that piss away their money and go broke just a few years after retirement?

Tipping a parking lot attendant $50 3 times a week is standard gratuity isn’t it?

I wish those evil owner-lovers would just stop passing around all those lies about how stupid and irresponsible players are with their money!!!

Enough is enough!!!

(BTW, I’m gonna quit my day job and become a parking lot attendant in Dallas)

19. huskersrock1 says: Mar 24, 2011 12:27 AM

Do you mean “we’re”?

20. hobbstweedle says: Mar 24, 2011 12:31 AM

“We’ve got a feeling the winner is ‘mall,’ even with the 90-day ban.”

You have NO IDEA how many retailers and the majority of patrons of Northpark want that idiot, and idiots like him, out of their mall. I think the general belief is, “Let him go to the Galleria. Or, better yet, Red Bird.” Not sayin’ that’s right or wrong…. that’s just the way it is.

21. jamoe17 says: Mar 24, 2011 12:31 AM

Mark…I believe you’ve made this ‘story’ as ‘interesting’ as it can possibly be made. Parking lot attendant quotes and all…

22. huskersrock1 says: Mar 24, 2011 12:31 AM

Who goes to Foot Locker three times a week?

23. p4ck3r5 says: Mar 24, 2011 12:50 AM

Wow! I wish I could afford to shop at foot locker 3 times a week!

24. moolah954 says: Mar 24, 2011 1:00 AM

ahhh money you trump all

25. nygiantstones says: Mar 24, 2011 1:09 AM

Am I the only person that thinks this is a case of a white security guard not liking the black man’s attire? I mean yeah, I’ve looked at people with their pants around their knees and shook my head in disgust. But if the man isn’t hurting anyone, why would they waste their time making him pull up his pants. This story annoys me. Anytime a black man is getting harassed for something stupid, it annoys me.

26. sportsjustice says: Mar 24, 2011 1:10 AM

Mall–

But like some NFL teams Dez Bryant will break the rules a little and vist before 90 days.

27. djzupp says: Mar 24, 2011 1:21 AM

i work at footlocker and her gained respect from me even more now for shopping there three times a week

28. jsarge99 says: Mar 24, 2011 1:23 AM

Foot locker 3 times a week, do they really get new stuff every 2 days?

29. elleclouds says: Mar 24, 2011 1:28 AM

Sounds like some employees were just reacting to the news that he was banned without knowing for sure if he was banned. If this is true, I’m sure the stores will miss his money, employees will miss the tips and the mall goers will miss the experience and autographs. Wait a minute, who cares?…

30. bobhk says: Mar 24, 2011 2:08 AM

what in the world does one buy three times a week at foot locker. At least he seems to be generous with his money if the story about tipping is true.

31. giveseanpaytonhisjuicyfruit says: Mar 24, 2011 2:11 AM

So is Dez enrolled in the Charlie Batch’s School of Economics or Mark Brunell’s.

32. seanx40 says: Mar 24, 2011 2:38 AM

At least he treats the mall store employees with respect. Given my own past experience with players, that is not always the case. That wins him some points, not many, in my book.

33. tdbragg says: Mar 24, 2011 6:12 AM

First off , if its true , he should be banned . No family walking down the mall with young kids should have to look at some guys butt falling out of his pants . What is the purpose ? What does it prove ? What it does show is your ignorance by not pulling your pants up or simply putting on a belt . (1) Grow up (2) Put on a belt (3) Remember the golden rule , CRACK KILLS .

34. cryptker says: Mar 24, 2011 6:14 AM

Retailers at Dallas mall say they’ll miss Dez Bryant`s Money!

35. brasho says: Mar 24, 2011 6:14 AM

++++++++++++++++++

A case of the dumb represting the dumb.
    “I never saw a verbal warning/”====ummmm, duh, isn’t that why they call it a “verbal warning”?

36. wryly1 says: Mar 24, 2011 6:19 AM

Sounds like a shoe fetish on the scale of Imelda Narcos. Dez, why don’t you just buy the store and solve both problems.

37. ncoolong says: Mar 24, 2011 6:23 AM

“…I never saw a verbal warning.”

Well, he MUST have heard the written warning then.

38. stangz11 says: Mar 24, 2011 6:53 AM

For all the money that we give these players you would think that they would go buy a dang belt. And maybe quit lying while they’re at it. Jeesh

39. chapnastier says: Mar 24, 2011 7:15 AM

Contributing to the local economy and showing his appreciation for the fans, I guess that’s better than claiming he is a slave, right?

40. dirtdawg55 says: Mar 24, 2011 7:23 AM

He was banned for wearing his pants too low? A case of mistaken identity? Maybe they thought he was LT trolling for 16 year old hookers.

41. Sandra Lee's Cans says: Mar 24, 2011 7:44 AM

Hey Dez, next time you’re at Foot Locker why don’t you fill out an application?

42. seabreezes51 says: Mar 24, 2011 8:15 AM

So, d’man like pretty shoes………..big deal.

43. stinkfingers says: Mar 24, 2011 8:38 AM

Why didnt any of these retailers sell him a belt?

44. packfaninny52 says: Mar 24, 2011 8:50 AM

You go to Foot Locker three times a week to buy shoes like milk and bread and I doubt he shops in the sale section.

Stop with all the does he have a shoe closet comments. He has money and if he can afford a new pair of shoes for every day of the week then let him buy.

At least he’s not doing dumb things with his money like investing it or buying cars or going on vacation.

45. nopuntintended says: Mar 24, 2011 9:04 AM

Can’t someone “see” a verbal warning administered? I mean, no doubt you hear it as well, but if you watch someone deliver a verbal warning is this not “seeing” it?

Second to that, people who have made comments about “no one should have to see someones underwear” and things of the sort are just ridiculous. Fashion evolves and changes over time, you don’t have to like it, but the man’s bare ass wasn’t showing so he was fully dressed. Boxer shorts are no more or less revealing than gym shorts or short shorts that I routinely see on women. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s wrong, and just because you like it doesn’t mean it’s right or correct. Once upon a time it was a fashion faux-pas for a woman to “show her ankles”, thank god times like that don’t exist anymore.

If a fully dressed man can be thrown out of a mall for wearing his pants too low (supposedly) is fully ridiculous. Being a nerdy-white guy, I’m of the belief that this was nothing more than jealousy/racial issues/power happy security guard. Heaven forbid a black guy is dressed in a trendy fashion is flashing money around the mall, right? Better get him out of here before he signs some more autographs.

Biggest problem was probably that he was tipping the parking lot guy 50$ and not the security guy….

46. bleedgreen08052 says: Mar 24, 2011 9:49 AM

Dez caught wind that Dallas was gonna send him to The Jets…. He was just looking for the best foot chastity belt.

47. blacktoothgrinn says: Mar 24, 2011 9:57 AM

You guys obviously don’t understand, do you want the guy walking around with dirty shoes?

48. nj22 says: Mar 24, 2011 10:03 AM

Just another case of cop abusing his authority. I had an issue in NJ with goofy mall cop, that looked like Timmy from Lassie. Stopped to speak to a friend I hadn’t seen in a while and he told us to move it along. I stopped a friend from throwing him in the fountain.

49. ruffbufffire says: Mar 24, 2011 10:19 AM

Seems to me the mall is nitpicking!!!! Guy signs autographs and the stores love him. Hes good to the fans unlike alot of these aholes leave Dez alone.

50. takingbacksundays5 says: Mar 24, 2011 10:48 AM

Um, why not just go to a different mall? Surely this can’t be the only mall in the Dallas Fort Worth area that has a Foot Locker.

On second thought, why am I even wasting my time discussing such a stupid and pointless non-story?

51. seankav9 says: Mar 24, 2011 11:13 AM

Not only is this kid way out of his tree, but he’s on his way to going bankrupt Antoine Walker style.

52. phinfan says: Mar 24, 2011 11:29 AM

He’ll be broke by the end of his career.

53. CKL says: Mar 24, 2011 11:47 AM

From the comments I have read about the mall, it sounds like they are the kind of upper crust place that almost has a dress code. I know for a fact there are other malls that had behavior standards. I got reprimanded over a PA system once in Boston @ Copley Place because I was sitting on the floor in a hall waiting for someone.