Chris Cooley: Lockout doesn’t matter to me, I’m financially set

Washington Redskins v New York Giants Getty Images

As a player who has made a lot of money and handled it wisely, Redskins tight end Chris Cooley says he’s able to sit back and watch the lockout unfold without worrying about how it affects him personally.

“I’ve tried to keep up and read and listen to what’s going on because I don’t want to feel like an idiot,” Cooley said on 106.7 The Fan in Washington D.C., via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “But it doesn’t matter to me. I don’t care. I’m one of those players that’s somewhat in an ideal position in terms of, I don’t need it financially, I’ll be ready to play when we’re ready to play. I can be on the players side and say, ‘You’re going to pay us.’”

That doesn’t mean Cooley doesn’t care about the 2011 season — he does — but he actually says he’s enjoying some time away, and wouldn’t mind the lockout extending about five more months.

“I really hope that we don’t lose games because that’s an ugly thing,” Cooley said. “It’s already ugly, the argument over this amount of money, and I really hope we don’t lose games. It’d be just right if we just settled it about September 1 and just decided we weren’t going to have training camp and get back to playing football.”

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
66 Responses to “Chris Cooley: Lockout doesn’t matter to me, I’m financially set”
  1. nfl52 says: Mar 24, 2011 2:01 PM

There was a clause put in the 06 agreement stating if the agreement wasn’t working out for either side, then they can opt out.

So the owners are opting out. They put that clause in there for a reason. That’s like you make an agreement with your boss to get paid a certain commission, your not too sure it’s the right thing to do so ur boss says, we will do it for a few years and if its not working for you, you can opt out and we will do a new agreement. Then you opt out and now you are a slave driver?

the players are just being greedy at this point. they deserve to be paid well but i think they are getting greedy. and why do the people that support the players take it so personal that some people support the owners?

2. RussianBreadMaker says: Mar 24, 2011 2:02 PM

Cooley doesnt seem like the type to by a 100,000 platinum chain. I bet it isn’t cheap supporting that wife of his though.

3. nfl52 says: Mar 24, 2011 2:03 PM

sounds like someone is ready to retire.

4. RussianBreadMaker says: Mar 24, 2011 2:03 PM

Buy*

5. bigdan7885 says: Mar 24, 2011 2:03 PM

I’m a Giants fan, but this guy is awesome.

6. chapnastier says: Mar 24, 2011 2:04 PM

Chris Cooley = Gigantic Tool

7. concoursrider says: Mar 24, 2011 2:05 PM

Something you’ll never hear Cromartie ever say!

8. kegowhisky says: Mar 24, 2011 2:05 PM

That comment will probably set him up to be a loan shark from about half of the other league players as time goes by without paychecks….

9. sabeybaby says: Mar 24, 2011 2:05 PM

Another slave financially set for life.

10. brownsfn says: Mar 24, 2011 2:09 PM

kind of selfish if you ask me…

11. kellyb9 says: Mar 24, 2011 2:10 PM

Good to see Cooley is financially set – unlike most of the suddenly poverty stricken players in this league.

12. giveseanpaytonhisjuicyfruit says: Mar 24, 2011 2:10 PM

Please whatever you do Chris, don’t take pictures of documents from the CBA talks and post them. You know what happened last time.

13. RocksRocksRocks says: Mar 24, 2011 2:11 PM

millionaires vs billionaires. I have an idea, how about everyone who is financially impacted by the lockout who makes less than $100,000 do the negotiating for both sides. See how fast this thing gets resolved.

14. FoozieGrooler says: Mar 24, 2011 2:14 PM

“It’s already ugly..”

You got that right.

Just this morning in a couple of other articles, one poster referred to the players as “Communists.”
    Not to be outdone, another poster called them “Terrorists”.

People are just losing all sense of perspective.
    And that’s too bad, ..for them.

15. buukki says: Mar 24, 2011 2:15 PM

Yeah, and then midway through the season, complain that the lockout forced players to get started late and were rusty the first half of the season. Please, just keep quiet.

16. ozz2012 says: Mar 24, 2011 2:15 PM

Looks like some players will know where to go for a loan now…

17. mightymightylafootball says: Mar 24, 2011 2:18 PM

And *THAT’S* why I own a Chris Cooley jersey!

Man plays hard on every single play. No TD dances, no Benz and no bling. 100% solid football, with a head screwed on straight.

A man I’d be proud to buy a beer for. You go, Mr. Coooooooooool!

18. kd75 says: Mar 24, 2011 2:19 PM

Cooley’s pottery business must be doing real well…

19. chargersfan4life says: Mar 24, 2011 2:22 PM

This is just one player that is financially set for the lockout that is taking place. Very few nfl players are financially set for the lockout because many of them live from pay check to pay check. In this case Chris Cooley is probably in the 1 out of 10 ratio for nfl players that are financially set for the situation. 90 percent of NFL players probably do not know how to handle their finances, so the lockout will end soon most likely, because many players will not be able to survive this lockout.

20. nyg17 says: Mar 24, 2011 2:24 PM

What’s next? An article on Jeremy Shockey’s stance on the lockout?

WHO CARES!?

21. jbaxt says: Mar 24, 2011 2:25 PM

Then I assume Cooley will “play” for the league minimum then? Since he’s “set”?

I’d like the owners to take a hard line and just cap salaries at the league minimum. Eff the players. 95% of the players wouldn’t qualify for any other line of work, let a lone a job that would pay them half a million a year.

22. JSpicoli says: Mar 24, 2011 2:28 PM

I feel so much better now.

23. vadog says: Mar 24, 2011 2:34 PM

Anybody else upset that he wouldn’t mind the lockout to last another 5 months?? What a jerk. Another selfish player, to go along with all the selfish owners who don’t give a fig about the fans!! Don’t they have any idea that they are ruining the trust of the people who actually pay to watch the games.

They’re all JERKS.

24. 2011to2020lions says: Mar 24, 2011 2:38 PM

25. wtfru2 says: Mar 24, 2011 2:42 PM

Great Union, he’s set and screw the rest of em!

26. nj22 says: Mar 24, 2011 2:48 PM

So you are all set at the age of 28 and never have to work again. What was the average slave retirement age again?? It is so similar it is scary! LOL!

27. handlethehandles says: Mar 24, 2011 2:48 PM

How can you be mad at a guy that plans….

I mean the reason most of us think the players should just shut up and play is coments like this..

BTW if I got paid a million a year for 5 years I dont think I would be crying if someone said you may miss a some checks next year.. I would be happy to swim in my pool and enjoy my house… I mean if I worked what 3 days a week for 6 months a year… whats a bit more time off…

Dont think he is sweating the heating bill and neither should 90% of them…

I dont care if they waste the money they earn, Geez I dont care if my friends waste the money they make.. Its not my family its not my business…

28. sterilizecromartie says: Mar 24, 2011 2:52 PM

I bet all the penny pinchers around here love hearing him say that.

@kd75: LMAO

29. milburg2 says: Mar 24, 2011 2:53 PM

Sucks if your not a Star on your team. Not everyone who plays in the NFL are millionaires especially ones battling for roster spots. I’m sure these people want work to start back up as soon as possible.

30. beastofeden says: Mar 24, 2011 2:55 PM

“COOOOOOOOOl”

Good to hear he is good while Tyrone the Linebacker has to sell his four Bentleys to buy groceries.

Bash on the Redskins organization all you want but while your teams owner is thrifty and niggardly, Mr. Snyder pays his players.

31. sabeybaby says: Mar 24, 2011 2:59 PM

I sure hope that Slave Peterson and Slave Weaver are set for life like Slave Cooley.

32. kellyb9 says: Mar 24, 2011 3:00 PM

“2011to2020lions says:
    Mar 24, 2011 2:38 PM
    WHY SHOULD YOU CARE? Its the fans who lose out WHY SHOULD YOU CARE ABOUT US??? At Least you have enough money to make it. HMMM I wonder where all that money came from??? Yep us fans what a JERK!!!” Wow, Holy Internet Freakout Batman. Seriously, if you’re that upset, vote with your wallet and elect not to attend any games when the lockout ends. Or better yet, maybe start watching a few college/UFL games, or even better yet, start watching a sport that hasn’t entirely barred hitting – hockey (well that haven’t barred it yet).

33. CKL says: Mar 24, 2011 3:02 PM

Cooley’s a bit of a goofball..the likeable kind.

I think he is actually helping the NFLPA’s side with what he is saying. If they had more guys talking about how they are fine financially and can wait it out it could make the owners think a bit. The owners may be counting on guys like Cromartie who can’t manage their money putting pressure on the NFLPA* side (pending of course the outcome of the April 6 decision).

34. berniemadoffsides says: Mar 24, 2011 3:03 PM

You really have to side moreso with the owners if you’re even remotely Republican-minded. They’re the ones repeatedly taking on the major financial risk year-in and year-out. The players *are* risking their health, however, so I understand their perspective to an extent, as well. Trust me when I say I see both sides to this argument.

That being said, I think a huge problem is the free agent or rookie who consistently performs below his 8- or 9-figure salary (The rookie payscale is 100% necessary for 1st round picks). Unfortunately, the owners often can’t avoid the big free agent signings failing miserably. Then again, you look at Drew Brees’ situation of coming off a shoulder injury many deemed as “irreparable” and he becomes a Super Bowl MVP. Although I think the majority of NFL players give their all every down, some get paid and fall off the face of the earth in the talent/effort department. I can’t necessarily criticize them for that, as I’m not sure what I’d do if I was a newfound millionaire, young, in top physical shape, and had women launching themselves at me. Well… the millionaire part I have yet to achieve. (Winks at camera)

The 18-game schedule is absolutely moronic – I can’t agree with any part of it whatsoever. Teams fighting until Week 18 to make the playoffs would inevitably be the most banged up, while the last decade’s consistent playoff teams (Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, Colts, Eagles, Seahawks, Giants, Packers, Saints – I don’t care if I left out your team) would have a much better chance of being well-rested. The wildcard teams likely wouldn’t stand a chance from a health standpoint, as teams would become increasingly injured at both the beginning and end of the season.

So… 17-games? Maybe. But you’d have to reduce preseason to three games, or *officially* make one preseason game a 3rd/4th string player matchup. I don’t understand how any fan would be supportive of 18 games – it would ruin the game in the short- and long-term.

If the players want to make additional income, you can sell your dignity to the local car dealership, do autograph signings, kick your agent’s @ss to get you an endorsement with a less-than-reputable energy drink (Yeah, Osi!), etc, etc. Peyton’s salary is probably a fraction of the money he makes off endorsements each year. Obviously, he’s a bluechip player who gets unprecedented amounts of coverage. But to a lesser extent, every player can use their NFL fame to earn them additional income.

Work it out already. If a woman judge resolves this issue, we’ll never hear the end of it. lol

35. banfootball4life says: Mar 24, 2011 3:05 PM

good for Chris Cooley, let`s hope other players have planned as well and we can have a long extended lockout, don`t wimp out to the owners make sure the next deal they sign is even better for the players hold out for as long as you can.

36. apac6586 says: Mar 24, 2011 3:06 PM

What?! A professional athlete who won’t go broke after he is done playing? Surely you’re kidding.

37. p4ck3r5 says: Mar 24, 2011 3:08 PM

i hope in the future i dont hear about him filing bankruptcy

38. danetow says: Mar 24, 2011 3:10 PM

I don’t have any problem with what Cooley said. Why are people bashing the guy? I would rather a guy like him be making millions and being set than all the other players that blow there wod to have 3 bentleys and two 10 million dollar houses and then complain that they need more money to “provide for their families.”

Players take some notes, the majority of them are idiots like dez bryant that think they need to go buy a new pair a shoes at footlocker 3 times a week. And I’ve heard Crabtree refuses to wear socks, underwear, and so forth more than one time. Guys waste money like that and expect us to support them in getting more money? Gimme a break.

39. jdmcmill says: Mar 24, 2011 3:10 PM

Yes, suit up Sept 1 and just play, no training camp. That will do wonders for the team. Then again it would probably be an improvement over the um….last 5+ years.

40. bsizemore68 says: Mar 24, 2011 3:15 PM

I will say it again, the players don’t give a rats ass about us fans, to be fair and balance, the owners also have that in common with the players.The league should set a cap on untested rooks, and perhaps on veterans too, let the best players have a range of say 5-6 million, then work down to the rooks and back up players. Players don’t like it, shut down the games for a year, problem over. Don’t hold you breath thinking that would happen. If the owners don’t like it, tell them to invest in some other business. Bill p.s. If the fans don’t like it, watch college or high school football. Life goes on, about 7 soldiers were killed over seas this week. Any one care about there families?

41. jahbird says: Mar 24, 2011 3:15 PM

@KD75: In that same interview he said he’s sold 600 pots since December. So, yeah…

42. Fantasy Football says: Mar 24, 2011 3:18 PM

St. James Place, Reading Railroad, Baltic Avenue and a get out of jail free card…wow you’re my hero Cooley.

43. voiceofreason85 says: Mar 24, 2011 3:25 PM

44. russin010 says: Mar 24, 2011 3:26 PM

The lockout gives Chris the opportunity to pursue his photography career..

45. gcsuk says: Mar 24, 2011 3:27 PM

Better watch that money, Chris. That smokin’ hot wife of yours looks pretty high maintenance. She won’t be too happy when the checks stop rolling in.

46. boysroll says: Mar 24, 2011 3:30 PM

he doesnt want a season because he knows the entire org is the biggest joke in the league setup for another last place finish.

He is tired of getting beat up week to week answering why this org continues to finish last yr to yr. Lets face it…he is past his prime and knows there is not much talent on this sinking ship.

47. daback9 says: Mar 24, 2011 3:32 PM

Please let it go!!! Its always news when a big salaried pro althlete squanders his fortune of worthless material things. Truth is, the wise ones keep their personal financial business out of the media. I’m sure there plenty of those guys who could stand to sit out a few games without being hurt financially, they’re just not boasting about it to the media.

Truth II, there is an equal amount of you posters who can’t stand to miss too many of those weekly stipends you’re getting either…

Its all relative!!

48. laeaglefan says: Mar 24, 2011 3:58 PM

The funny thing is that most of us would be “financially set” if we would make the league minimum. We don’t need $150,000 cars and enough expensive jewelry to choke a horse. The fact that some of these players can’t afford to withstand missing a couple of paychecks is kind of mind boggling, when you really think about it. It makes you wonder what the hell they spend their millions on.

49. sterilizecromartie says: Mar 24, 2011 3:59 PM

@ voiceofreason85

For one, Adrian Peterson and Leonard Weaver started the whole slave references. So why are you telling us to stop? For two (if that’s even proper grammer), if you make more than every white person on this website that means you make about $50K per year. We’re all moderate income people with crappy cubicle jobs. Why else would we be on PFT.com on a Thursday afternoon??

50. granadafan says: Mar 24, 2011 4:06 PM

The last thing the fans want to hear about are players who sign huge contracts and will make more money than most people will do in their entire lifetime. When we hear about these people going broke, I have very very little sympathy. While I struggle to pay bills and give my two young children a decent quality of life, I just cannot relate to players who blow through hundreds of thousands of dollars, let alone millions and then whine about being broke.

They were given a tremendous opportunity and have people to give them sound financial advice.

51. hawkeye6 says: Mar 24, 2011 4:20 PM

@concoursrider

I spit up my coffee.

52. ctconstruction says: Mar 24, 2011 4:28 PM

ADD CHRIS COOLEY TO EVERY ALL-TIME WORST PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE LIST. THIS GUY REPRESENTS EVERY STEREOTYPE OF THE RICH, PAMPERED MODERN DAY ATHLETE.

OF COARSE EVERY PLAYER WANTS TO WIN, BUT DO YOU TRULY THINK THIS GUY AGONIZES WHEN HIS TEAM IS STRUGGLING? WHEN YOU’RE HURTING AS A SKINS FAN BECAUSE YOUR TEAM JUST STUNK UP RFK STADIUM, REST ASSURED YOUR STARTING TE IS GOING TO BE OK FINANCIALLY (AND HE WISHES HE DIDN’T HAVE TO PRACTICE SO MUCH).

THANK GOD I’M NOT A REDSKINS FAN!!!

53. sakatak says: Mar 24, 2011 4:32 PM

@voiceofreason85
    Since you brought it up, just exactly how much do you make and how do you make it?

54. sirbenly says: Mar 24, 2011 5:21 PM

“They’re the ones repeatedly taking on the major financial risk year-in and year-out.”

The NFL is a major financial risk?? HAHAHAHAHA. Sorry, it’s not a risk, it’s a goldmine and a monopoly of professional football, the most popular sport in America.

They would love to strum that free enterprise chord in all of you, and convince you that they’re in hard times. Meanwhile their profits are huge, and ticket prices stay high. Oh boo hoo, the people can’t pay for our tickets, oh well, too bad, ticket prices will not be compromised!

This is one of the world’s largest sport industries. There is so much money in the NFL that the President might be involved! That industry is divided into 32 people. DO THE MATH.

For me to be convinced, all they have to do is show the players that they really are struggling, then they can cut their salaries, and me and the rest of America would also be convinced, and we’d try to go to more games and everybody would be happy. BUT THEY WILL NOT DO IT.

55. sirbenly says: Mar 24, 2011 5:22 PM

56. sirbenly says: Mar 24, 2011 5:23 PM

They would love to strum that free enterprise chord in all of you, and convince you that they’re in hard times. This is one of the world’s largest sport industries. There is so much money in the NFL that the President might get involved! That industry is divided amongst 32 people. DO THE MATH.

57. sirbenly says: Mar 24, 2011 5:24 PM

They would love to strum that free enterprise chord in all of you, and convince you that they’re in hard times. There is so much money in the NFL that the President might get involved! That industry is divided amongst 32 people. DO THE MATH.

58. sirbenly says: Mar 24, 2011 5:25 PM

ok, sorry, I am a little computer illiterate

59. aj1988lions says: Mar 24, 2011 5:34 PM

sterilizecromartie says:
    Mar 24, 2011 1:15 PM

great name

60. wethog66 says: Mar 24, 2011 5:37 PM

@ voiceofreason85

You might make more money than me, and all that money you make might ensure you make your child support payments on time, it can’t buy you class.

What a douche.

61. mizzousooner says: Mar 24, 2011 6:08 PM

“The slave jokes and references need to stop. For one they are inappropiate, for two I make more money than every white person on this website.”

___________________________________

Damn, I’m impressed and I’m sure the whole world is. Clown.

62. voiceofreason85 says: Mar 24, 2011 8:34 PM

@ sterilizecromartie

Oh and these is looking for you. These who? These black slave nuts!

63. wethog66 says: Mar 24, 2011 9:17 PM

“Last time I checked (1st Grade) there is not an “E” in the word grammar; you spelled it GRAMMER! Lets make this world a better place, help a brother with GRAMMER and I’ll teach you how to speel I mean spel, oops I mean spell! I better stop….

Oh and these is looking for you. These who? These black slave nuts!”

And here you have it folks! The benefits of learning Ebonics at an early age.

Douche gonna Douche

64. sterilizecromartie says: Mar 24, 2011 10:51 PM

@voiceofreason

Wow… you go from talking about how our slave comments are inappropriate to talking about “black slave nuts”. Contradict yourself much?

The best you can do is criticize one single letter from my post?? Nice.

65. skinsnut says: Mar 25, 2011 11:10 AM

I like Chris, and I think he is a great player. However, these comments seem to indicate no passion to just getting back and playing the game.

Hope I am wrong.

66. magicman407 says: Mar 26, 2011 10:44 AM

Boysroll,

Pretty sure the Cowboys are picking 9th in the draft and the Redskins are picking 10th… Just a thought turd.