Michael Vick’s high school: Taking jersey down is “final decision”

vick AP

Despite a student-led movement to put Michael Vick’s jersey back on display at Warwick High School in Newport News, Virginia, the school says it won’t put the jersey back up in the halls Vick walked as a student there.

It is the final decision,” Michelle Price, spokeswoman for Newport News schools, told the Virginian-Pilot. “The school administrators just decided that they are not going to take action on the student’s request.”

Vick’s jersey was removed from a trophy case at the school in 2007, when he went to prison for running a dog fighting ring.

The student who started the Michael Vick High School Jersey Reframed Facebook page currently has 873 “likes.” But the Michael Vick Petition To Not Rehang His Jersey in Warwick High School Facebook page has 1,482 “likes.”

Price said the school views the issue of honoring Vick, who graduated in 1998, as a distraction for students. And although “final decisions” are sometimes changed, she said, “I do not believe our current principal is going to reconsider.”

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Michael Vick’s high school: Taking jersey down is “final decision””
  1. jw731 says: Mar 24, 2011 9:58 AM

As a token of appreciation….the under mayor of Dallas or whatever his freeloading title is…..Has decided to hang Vicks jersey in his garage….

2. shallowfan says: Mar 24, 2011 10:11 AM

If every high school took down memorabilia for a student who ended up going to jail i would imagine some schools trophy cases would be bare.

The point is if they still display other student jerseys are they sure they didn’t get into trouble at one time? Just because they might not be high profile doesn’t mean they didn’t get in trouble and therefore should have their jersey’s removed as well.

I wonder if the school opened and investigation into whether any other ppl they are displaying jersey’s for ever went into a life of crime. If they haven’t then this is a little hypocitical imo…not standing up for Vick and what he did, i’m just saying.

3. elrushbo2 says: Mar 24, 2011 10:22 AM

Good for them. Vick is human garbage.

4. firethorn1001 says: Mar 24, 2011 10:32 AM

The last time I looked, the only person clinging to his high school football glory days was Al Bundy.

People get riled up over the most pointless things.

5. zappa69 says: Mar 24, 2011 10:49 AM

@shallowfan, good point, didn’t think of that.

6. luckywi says: Mar 24, 2011 10:50 AM

You don’t honor criminals. You can forgive, and he served his time, but honoring the jersey of a convicted felon doesn’t really send a good message to the student body.

7. lucky5927 says: Mar 24, 2011 10:51 AM

I wonder if Lawrence Taylor’s or OJ Simpson’s jersey is still hanging up? I does make me wonder if past criminals have had their jersey taken down as well.

8. scytherius says: Mar 24, 2011 11:00 AM

Either decision by the school has merit.

9. packa7x says: Mar 24, 2011 11:02 AM

Oh no!! Michael Vick went to jail!! He also played amazing football for you. Shut up and respect him.

10. scytherius says: Mar 24, 2011 11:02 AM

@luckywi

“You don’t honor criminals.”

====================

Huh. I fought with a guy in Vietnam who was a convicted criminal and won 2 Purple Hearts and a Silver Star.

I’ll tell him you think he should give them back.

11. h8dansnyder says: Mar 24, 2011 11:08 AM

“current principal.” That almost sounds like a euphemism for former principal.

12. steelhammer92 says: Mar 24, 2011 11:18 AM

Nice to see there are at least some people in the area he grew up in who don’t worship the ground he walks on.

13. thefiesty1 says: Mar 24, 2011 11:36 AM

Should have put it up (upside down) to teach the young future dropouts what not to aspire to.

14. pervyharvin says: Mar 24, 2011 12:24 PM

Vick is a turd. What proud school would ever want to display the dog killa jersey?

15. nfl52 says: Mar 24, 2011 12:42 PM

get over it. he paid his dues. i understand not rooting for him. but no reason to hate on him for the rest of his life

16. minnesconsin says: Mar 24, 2011 1:07 PM

firethorn1001 says:
    Mar 24, 2011 10:32 AM

People get riled up over the most pointless things.
    ——————

don’t forgot Uncle Rico there, Napoleon. GOSH!

17. chiefsnfl says: Mar 24, 2011 1:27 PM

@scytherius:

Not even close to being the same thing. Vietnam war vs. sports icon… The only relation is the criminal aspect, otherwise, it is a bad analogy.

18. woods546 says: Mar 24, 2011 2:00 PM

@scytherius, if Vick quits playing football, enrolls in the military, goes to active duty in Afghanistan, wins 2 purple hearts and a silver star, well, then I will personally go hang his jersey up in his high school.

19. madesian says: Mar 24, 2011 2:03 PM

Alright, I’m tired of people STILL bashing Vick. I’m one of the biggest dog lovers around, but the guy has paid his debt to society. He is a spokesperson for the Humane Society. He did a bad thing and he paid for it with time and money and didn’t publicly complain one bit. I’m neither a falcons fan or an eagles fan, I have no reason to root for Vick, but i can say that it is getting old that people won’t leave him alone. would i have the man watch my dogs for a couple days while i went on vacation, no. would i spit in his face if i saw him walking down the street, heck no. people need to get over themselves and let the man live his life without ridicule. I will Never say that what he did was ok, but he did pay his debt and is getting back to the normalcy of his life. a lot of prisoners end up right back in jail within a year of getting out.

as for his jersey being hung up in the high school, I dont see a problem with it. Colt’s Linebacker Pat Angerer went to my High school and they have his jersey hung up there (not that he’s as good of an NFL player as vick, just the fact that he’s in the NFL). but that’s the school’s choice and they apparently haven’t forgiven him.

20. weezilgirl says: Mar 24, 2011 2:09 PM

This could be a tiny reality check for Vick. I doubt it but one can hope. If your high school refuses to put your jersey back up…….think about it, Mikie.

Comparing this to Vietnam is nothing, if not silly.

He didn’t serve one second of time for dog fighting. He went to prison for racketeering. I would say “that dog won’t hunt” but the dogs are dead and gone, so no reason to say it.

21. buffaloblows says: Mar 24, 2011 2:14 PM

@scytherius says:
    Mar 24, 2011 11:02 AM
    @luckywi

“You don’t honor criminals.”

====================

I’ll tell him you think he should give them back.

====================
    I gave you a thumbs up because i like the comment in general, but comparing michael vick to a vietnam vet who saved lives and vick who murdered dogs seems like a little bit of a stretch.Even for PFT’s commenters.

22. Deb says: Mar 24, 2011 2:44 PM

Simpson and Taylor earned their places in the Pro Football Hall of Fame on the field. What they’ve done since leaving football has no bearing on that. It should be the same with Vick’s high school jersey. If it was on display because he broke high school records, it should have remained on display. If it was on display just because he became famous, then it was reasonable to take it down when he became an embarrassment.

23. o0omorriso0o says: Mar 26, 2011 3:25 AM

Vick needs a reality check for what? as if he can learn and do something different and you all would forgive him? FAT CHANCE. See I keep hearing that this is a country of second chances. Yeah right. America and the world for that matter is a big fat joke with a bunch of pathetic lowlifes in it. What the heck is a guy supposed to do? The comments I read everyday really are starting to wake me up as to what kind of screwed up world we live in. About 85% of our population think in a very twisted way. You don’t have to root for Vick but to actually bash and hate on the man? At some point this must stop until he proves he hasn’t changed because so far he has been outstanding on and off the field. People want him dead which makes no sense since it was killing that got people riled up in the first place. You Vick haters make me sic. Get off your high horses before I knock you off of them…

24. o0omorriso0o says: Mar 26, 2011 3:26 AM

I’m ashamed of that school. Hang the jersey for god sakes. They want too, the students want them to. But they are worried as to how they will be perseived by others. Its a shame. Take a stand for god sakes. Our nation is getting to wimpy anymore…