Ochocinco eating “humble pie” during soccer tryout

Chad Ochocinco Begins Tryout with Sporting Kansas City Getty Images

Chad Ochocinco has finished half of his four-day tryout with the MLS’ Sporting Kansas City, and the reviews of Ochocinco’s performance have been mixed at best.

Including Ocho’s self-examination.

“I wish you all can see the skill it takes to play FUTBOL,even with my speed these guys still make me look like s–t on the pitch #seriously,” Ochocino wrote on Twitter on Thursday.   (Those dashes were ours, not his.)

Ochocinco was noticeably tired at the end of his first day and said he “ate the humble pie” during his tryout.  The Kansas City Star said Ochocinco struggled to keep possession of the ball during 11-on-11 drills.

Still, the Bengals receiver seems to be having fun.  He’s taking the entire team out to dinner Thursday night and says he’s living out a childhood dream.  He also thinks his soccer tryout will benefit him on the football field.

Superb day on the pitch, I’m gonna be in phenomenal shape once football rolls back around,my feet were awesome b4 they gone b like WTF now!!!” he wrote.

The only catch: The tryout ends in two days.   It seems rather unlikely Ochocinco will be asked to stick around after that.

“The only thing I’m probably good at,” Ochocinco said, “is being fast as hell.”

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Ochocinco eating “humble pie” during soccer tryout”
  1. berniemadoffsides says: Mar 24, 2011 3:15 PM

You can say what you want about Chad, but he’s not afraid to try anything.

Well… except box Zbikowski.

2. nyctexan says: Mar 24, 2011 3:18 PM

OCHO 4LIFE

3. cambodianbreastmilk says: Mar 24, 2011 3:21 PM

I like that no matter how outspoken he is, he’s never in the news for drug use, causing a fight, wearing his pants too low, being involved in a shooting or getting arrested like other players. Thumbs up OC!

4. Fantasy Football says: Mar 24, 2011 3:21 PM

“The only thing I’m probably good at,” Ochocinco said, “is being fast as hell.”

Same could be said about your skills on the football field.

5. tehowdruid says: Mar 24, 2011 3:22 PM

Who…cares…about…Chad…

I mean seriously, this guy hasn’t been relevant for numerous years now. ESPN is covering this clown like everyone cares

6. touchdownroddywhite says: Mar 24, 2011 3:23 PM

@berniemadoffsides –

I think he’d box Zbikowski, honestly. I’m not sure if he’d bet on himself, but I don’t doubt he’s got the stones to do it.

7. geobh says: Mar 24, 2011 3:23 PM

fast. good, then get out of town fast as hell.

8. Mike Tomlin says: Mar 24, 2011 3:23 PM

Being cut from 2 different teams in a single offseason should give 85 all the humble pie he can handle. On second thought, maybe not…

9. rpiotr01 says: Mar 24, 2011 3:25 PM

Well I’m shocked. Shocked!

10. 3octaveFart says: Mar 24, 2011 3:28 PM

“…says he’s living out a childhood dream.”

..to always be the center of attention.
    “Hey, look at me!”

11. jamie54 says: Mar 24, 2011 3:29 PM

berniemadoffsides says:

“You can say what you want about Chad,….”

OK, then I’ll say he’s an attention-hungry, ego-driven idiot.

12. enders9 says: Mar 24, 2011 3:38 PM

tehowdruid says: Mar 24, 2011 3:22 PM

Who…cares…about…Chad…

————————–

You cared enough to open a link that was clearly 100% about Chad, and then continued to care enough to comment on it.

You don’t care about Chad? Stop opening links with his name on it.

13. enders9 says: Mar 24, 2011 3:41 PM

It’s his first two days of ever playing on a professional competitive soccer team… Did people expect him to come out and dominate on the first two days of playing at that level?

14. jnbnet says: Mar 24, 2011 3:41 PM

jamie54 says:
    Mar 24, 2011 3:29 PM
    berniemadoffsides says:

“You can say what you want about Chad,….”

OK, then I’ll say he’s an attention-hungry, ego-driven idiot.

jamie54, thanks for making me laugh

15. mattsffrd says: Mar 24, 2011 3:43 PM

taking the whole team out to dinner

this guys is going to be piss broke within two years of retiring

16. buckybadger says: Mar 24, 2011 3:44 PM

Football players don’t have the conditioning to change over to soccer in an off season. Possibly after a couple of years of running but you simply don’t change over night. He is used to having only run for 6 minutes a game, not 90.

17. biggerballz says: Mar 24, 2011 3:46 PM

still better than most teams wr

18. EJ says: Mar 24, 2011 3:48 PM

Chad may be an idiot most of the time, but I personally think the guy is funny. Without guys like him, the NFL would get awefully boring.

19. granadafan says: Mar 24, 2011 3:50 PM

If we could get more young kids with the athleticism of our top athletes and kept them in soccer we’d be competing for the World Cup every time. As it is, the men’s national team gets even below our 2nd rate ahtletes. The guys are really slow and down have the athleticism to make great moves save for a few players.

20. shieldsisland37 says: Mar 24, 2011 3:50 PM

why are people hating on chad? He is just having fun.

21. blmonroe12 says: Mar 24, 2011 3:51 PM

Takes balls to go out and even try, I give the guy a lot of credit..

That being said, he may want to avoid dipping his toe in the water with boxing.. Looking bad on the soccer field is not nearly as embarrassing as getting knocked out by Zbikowski in the ring..

22. enders9 says: Mar 24, 2011 4:04 PM

mattsffrd says: Mar 24, 2011 3:43 PM

taking the whole team out to dinner

this guys is going to be piss broke within two years of retiring

————————–

Are you talking crap on Chad for being a GOOD teammate?

Seriously, this guy can’t do anything right in some people’s eyes. No matter what he does, people try to turn it into a negative.

23. coffinberry says: Mar 24, 2011 4:06 PM

I don’t have any issues with Chad, just hoping Jerome Simpson can carry the torch.

24. Deb says: Mar 24, 2011 4:06 PM

They have to be in great shape because they never stop running for the whole match. On the other hand, I’d like to see one of them after they’ve gone up to head-butt a ball and been laid out by an NFL safety. :) On the whole, I’d guess American football to be the tougher sport.

25. We'reFineThere says: Mar 24, 2011 4:13 PM

I don’t know why you are all thumbs downing the guy who said he is going to broke. Every single one of these stories involves him buying dinner for a large group of people.

I understand he makes millions but there is no way he is going to last more than 5-10 years out of football without being bankrupt. He has the constant need to please people and this includes “buying” friends when he really doesn’t need to.

26. elrushbo2 says: Mar 24, 2011 4:18 PM

Every circus needs a clown.

27. berniemadoffsides says: Mar 24, 2011 4:36 PM

@ elrushbo2:

And his name is Roger.

28. ballsdeep24 says: Mar 24, 2011 4:41 PM

@We’reFineThere

He’ll be another ridiculously annoying analyst on NFLN or ESPN, wearing stuff to make Deion look black-tie formal, still making $100-thousands.

That said, I don’t mind his antics. Like someone up top said, he’s not in the press for all the other wrong reasons players are engaged in.

29. enders9 says: Mar 24, 2011 4:51 PM

We’reFineThere says: Mar 24, 2011 4:13 PM

—————————

Buying friends? lol, ok.

Chad receives income from more than just football, he has a ton of endorsements. And I highly doubt we’ll see the last of Chad after he retires. He’ll land some kind of broadcasting job.

30. newagerocker says: Mar 24, 2011 5:04 PM

I was just rockin out to some Humble Pie myself – 30 days in the hole!!!!!

31. r8drn8tn says: Mar 24, 2011 5:07 PM

For all the comment’s saying Chad will be broke, do you not think he will be working on ESPN or NFL Network after retirement? Get serious, this guy is going to be working the year he retires. Good for him.

32. SQLWhat?? says: Mar 24, 2011 5:08 PM

How many people reading this can say they have taken a chance at a childhood dream like this? I’ll bet not many.

I applaud him for living the way he wants to….by having fun and not letting the jealous impede his dreams.

33. SQLWhat?? says: Mar 24, 2011 5:13 PM

——————————————————

This is obviously why I stopped buying Christmas presents for my Wife……CLEARLY I need to stop trying to buy her love when I don’t need to.

34. canjura says: Mar 24, 2011 5:28 PM

mattsffrd says: Mar 24, 2011 3:43 PM

taking the whole team out to dinner

this guys is going to be piss broke within two years of retiring

_______________

Or, he could be saving his money and paying for all of the these team dinners with the interest he gains. Think about it. If he makes $1mil and puts it in the bank. He gets let’s say, 5% interest rate, he has just gained $50,000. He’s made what, close to 60 or 70 throughout his career in wages, endorsements, etc? just think for a second before speaking. If he’s invested a quarter of his money, he’s set for life on just the interest part once he retires. That doesn’t even include his future earnings at NFLN or ESPN.

now, my opinion on 85, he takes his fans out to breakfast once a week during the season, whether it’s in Cinci or at an opponents city (at least he did when he came to the Bay Area to play Oakland, and I’m pretty sure he does that at every city), this guy has a huge heart and he’s just trying to have a good time. People need to let him breathe and realize that just because their “ish” doesn’t stink, doesn’t mean everyone else can follow in their footsteps.

35. runjumpthrow10 says: Mar 24, 2011 6:19 PM

Run Track Ocho!

36. thefiesty1 says: Mar 24, 2011 9:17 PM

Are you sure he isn’t eating enchalitas?