Deion Sanders: Dez Bryant needs help, but not from me

dezBryant

Hall of Famer Deion Sanders says he no longer serves as a mentor to Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant. But Sanders thinks Bryant needs somebody to lean on.

He needs help. He needs help,” Sanders said on ESPN Radio in Dallas this morning. “I told the Cowboys from Day 1 that he needs help. Matter of fact, they have a team in place to help him. But you cannot tell a grown man what to do.”

Personally, I look at the story of Bryant getting into it with a mall security guard over allegedly wearing his pants low and wonder why it’s a mall security guard’s place to tell customers how to dress. But Sanders seems to think Bryant was in the wrong.

And Sanders, a former mentor to Bryant, also seems to think that Bryant needs someone in his life to tell him when he’s wrong. But Sanders made clear that that someone won’t be Sanders himself. Sanders and Bryant have had a falling out, apparently stemming from Bryant lying to the NCAA about spending time with Sanders, which Sanders thought reflected badly on him.

“I haven’t spoken to the kid,” Sanders said. “I have no desire to speak to the kid. In regards to me, I can forgive, but I can’t forget. You can’t tarnish the other things that I have going on and the other kids. It’s sort of like I can’t allow something to poison the fruit of many other kids. I can’t do it, so I cut off those ties a long time ago.”

Meanwhile, Calvin Watkins of ESPN reports that Bryant’s camp is hoping he can return to the mall today. It seems a bit odd that an issue that started over a security guard telling someone to pull up his pants has escalated to the point where an NFL player’s “camp” is sitting down with the mall to hammer out an arrangement for Bryant to return.

But Sanders’ comments point to what may be a larger issue with Bryant: He’s a talented player who could use some guidance. That guidance isn’t coming from Sanders, and as long as the lockout lasts, it can’t come from the Cowboys, either.

UPDATE: Bryant told ESPN he suspects Sanders’ real problem with him has to do with Bryant not endorsing Under Armour.

“I never knew the reason for Deion not saying anything to me,” Bryant said. “The only thing I can believe is that when I stopped talking to Under Armour, Deion stopped talking to me. I never knew what Prime’s problem was. That’s my decision. That has nothing to do with Prime. That made me feel he must be getting something from Under Armour.”

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
58 Responses to “Deion Sanders: Dez Bryant needs help, but not from me”
  1. chapnastier says: Mar 25, 2011 12:27 PM

Hey Dez, order things online brother. Much cheaper. But where is Tony Dungy?

2. waxthat says: Mar 25, 2011 12:27 PM

Help me..help you!!

Show me the money, Prime!

3. lionfan419 says: Mar 25, 2011 12:29 PM

who cares give me more Lions stories

4. coffinberry says: Mar 25, 2011 12:31 PM

If they banned every kid with their pants hanging too low the malls across America would all be closed up.

5. tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Mar 25, 2011 12:34 PM

Don’t they have any other malls in Dallas?

6. MichaelEdits says: Mar 25, 2011 12:35 PM

I hear Deion couldn’t tackle Bednarik’s wife. That’s probably safer. But meanwhile, I always figured that Deion is what every Cowboy always wished he could be.

7. ditkasmustache says: Mar 25, 2011 12:36 PM

“Personally, I look at the story of Bryant getting into it with a mall security guard over allegedly wearing his pants low and wonder why it’s a mall security guard’s place to tell customers how to dress…”

————-

It’s his “place” to do so because that’s why he is being paid his $8.00 an hour-to enforce the mall rules.

Business owners can mandate a dress code-see “No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service” for example. Or fancy restaurants may require men to wear a tie. I am sure the mall has rules in place for how folks are to dress and behave. And as I recall this particular mall is VERY upscale.

8. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Mar 25, 2011 12:36 PM

Deion seems to think it’s a great idea to offer to be a mentor for projects like Dez Bryant and Noel Devine, but when he discovers that mentoring is more than just talking about how great a cover corner he was, he backs out.

9. ch0rn says: Mar 25, 2011 12:38 PM

Turf Toe

10. dbellina says: Mar 25, 2011 12:44 PM

This breaking story just in.

The headline on the New York Times reads, “Dez Bryant is allowed back into the mall”

Slow day for “football” news I guess.

11. laeaglefan says: Mar 25, 2011 12:45 PM

Tony Dungy is too busy escorting Mike Vick around to prisons.

12. a55hol says: Mar 25, 2011 12:49 PM

If it’s like in my city, there is a city ordinance that they enforce for having saggin’ pants. So, that could be why the mall guy was enforcing it.

13. EJ says: Mar 25, 2011 12:50 PM

Dez Bryant was in the wrong.

No, mall security should not be telling people how to dress, but when your pants are around your knees and your basically walking around in your underwear… That is disgusting, nobody wants to see a grown man in his man panties. Its a mall, not a strip club, there are families with kids that shop there too. Grow up Dez, pull your pants up, or hire someone to do your shoe shopping.

14. kanepft says: Mar 25, 2011 12:59 PM

“Personally, I look at the story of Bryant getting into it with a mall security guard over allegedly wearing his pants low and wonder why it’s a mall security guard’s place to tell customers how to dress.”

Seriously? You wonder why a mall security guard was enforcing the mall’s code of conduct? OK, I’ll explain it slowly:

Because…it’s…HIS…JOB.

It’s perfectly reasonable for business to maintain a dress code that promotes an atmosphere attractive to customers. At a fancy restaurant, that might be a coat-and-tie policy. At a fancy mall, it’s a don’t-show-off-your-underpants-or-butt-crack policy. Totally, totally normal, and shame on PFT for going after the poor security guard for just doing his job.

15. Patriot42 says: Mar 25, 2011 1:07 PM

A grown man don’t call himself as Prime. Isn’t his name Dion. Whats wrong with using that. Is he a child?

16. mataug says: Mar 25, 2011 1:10 PM

If I ever visit Dallas, I would really like to go to this mall to understand why the hell is Team Bryant so eager to get the mall staff to allow Bryant to visit that place again.

17. doowix says: Mar 25, 2011 1:11 PM

lionfan419 says:
    Mar 25, 2011 12:29 PM

who cares give me more Lions stories

_______________________________

what this guy said

18. ezmoover says: Mar 25, 2011 1:14 PM

When these guys are using $400 an hour lawyers to negotiate with an $8 an hour mall cop over low pants, I say “keep fightin the good fight brutha!”

19. pixelito says: Mar 25, 2011 1:17 PM

It’s about time someone stepped up against this horrendous dress style… Pretty much every white kid under 21 walks around like this… What in the world makes these morons think that walking around like you just dumped in your pants looks good?

20. bigup77 says: Mar 25, 2011 1:17 PM

A grown ass man with his pants on the ground, worried about whether or not he can hang out at a particular mall? Maturity issues, anyone? Anyone?

21. marshmellon says: Mar 25, 2011 1:18 PM

How is this still news? I never realized there was only one mall in the DFW area….

22. Jay says: Mar 25, 2011 1:20 PM

“wonder why it’s a mall security guard’s place to tell customers how to dress.”

Ever seen a restaurant that posted a sign saying “No shoes, no shirt, no service.”

It’s the same concept. To confirm what others have said, yes, Northpark Mall is a very upscale mall. Which is probably why Dez likes to shop there.

But if he and his friends can’t comply with the mall’s requirements for dressing and behaving then he can be restricted from going there.

Let’s also not get this twisted. The issue wasn’t over saggy pants. It was his reaction when he (or his friends) were asked to pull up the pants that drew the citation.

23. touchdownroddywhite says: Mar 25, 2011 1:22 PM

I go into places all the time where you can’t wear jeans. No white tee-shirts. No shirts without collars in many places as well.

If I was at one of those places and saw a guy like Dez Bryant hanging his ass out and they DIDN’T say something, I’d make some phone calls. I teach my kids to dress with respect, but I guess not everybody does that.

24. johnjosephyossarian says: Mar 25, 2011 1:24 PM

The issue was that Dez acted entitled and “created a scene” when him or someone he was with was asked to pull up there pants.

This isn’t a pants things but Dez getting loud and unruly with the off-duty officer who ended up giving him the criminal trespass warning because of his behavior AFTER being initially contacted.

25. coffinberry says: Mar 25, 2011 1:25 PM

“very upscale mall”? Is there really such a thing?
    Lemme put on a damn tuxedo so I can hit up the Hot Topic and Spencers Gifts.. Maybe an Orange Julius if I’m thirsty.

26. commentcentral says: Mar 25, 2011 1:25 PM

I think someone in Dez’s camp said he had heard about this leather thing that goes around your waist that takes the place of your hands holding the front of your pants.

I think he went to the mall to buy a belt. It’s really a shame he wasn’t able to get one.

27. elrushbo2 says: Mar 25, 2011 1:26 PM

The Cowboys knew they were drafting a turd….a turd with talent but still a turd. They ignored the red flags on this guy…as some team will on Cam Newton. When is the NFL going to start holding teams accountable for player misbehavior? Perhaps if they did teams would think twice about drafting these red flag guys in the first place.

28. shaggytoodle says: Mar 25, 2011 1:28 PM

I don’t blame Deion telling someone else to help him, the last time he did help him, Dez couldn’t play football for over half a season, and Deion had to explain himself in a one on one interview on the channel he works for because of it.

29. chapnastier says: Mar 25, 2011 1:41 PM

@ ez

I hope to God that was sarcasm

30. tonydehoff says: Mar 25, 2011 1:47 PM

I would probably just shop at another mall.

31. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Mar 25, 2011 1:52 PM

Deion came into Dezs life because Dez had no father figure and Deion wanted to step into that role. Admirable.

But what Deion proved is that he’s always hoingbto be there for you when your name is called by Goodell during the 1st round of the draft; but if you really need help/guidance, look elsewhere.

Didnt tackle then. And doesnt tackle problems now. Nice Prime. Nice.

32. hobartbaker says: Mar 25, 2011 1:56 PM

Apparently the whole Dallas crack hierarchy, right up to Senator Royce West, was repping Dez at the mall. If he can get Momma Dez a free pass as a chronic coke dealer, I’m sure the Senator can make this disappear without help from Deion.

33. marby5 says: Mar 25, 2011 1:58 PM

Really people what planet do you live on.

Almost all malls don’t allow your pants on the ground.
    The mall cop has the right because the person who owns the mall says kick people like that out WHY BECAUSE ,IT”S MY MALL AND THAT”S MY RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The truth to the fact is simple a group of kids that have pant’s on the ground hang out and usally cause trouble and they find it’s easier if they just don’t allow it.

No diffrent as if you don’t smoke and tell everyone you can’t smoke in my car!!!!!!!

Why is it that sports players think they are all above the laws and rules that the simple people follow.

Hell with his money just buy the dang mall and do what you want.

34. laflamablanca55 says: Mar 25, 2011 2:06 PM

Classic case of profiling. The security guard obviously targeted Dez because he looked like the son of a prostitute.

35. JSpicoli says: Mar 25, 2011 2:07 PM

Help him first with a belt.

36. str82dvd says: Mar 25, 2011 2:12 PM

We all know what this is about, stop speaking in euphimisms.

37. closisgood says: Mar 25, 2011 2:26 PM

Dallas is the land of a million malls but North Park(where this incident occurred) is one of the more high end malls in the area.

BUT, they do not have a policy against sagging.
    THEY DO seem to have a policy against a group for 3 or more young black males strutting around in the same area as a lot of rich, elder white folk.

Not too many “black kids” frequent that mall so when some do, they get noticed and not because they’re a first round draft pick for the Dallas Cowboys.

38. nagaswan says: Mar 25, 2011 2:50 PM

It is fun to see two delusional men ramble at each other.

39. stfunowplease says: Mar 25, 2011 3:12 PM

I’d kill myself if Tony Dungee was my dad….

40. thefiesty1 says: Mar 25, 2011 3:37 PM

If they’d detain (arrest for indecent exposure) maybe some of these yahoos would keep their pants pulled up and look like a human being.

But, Bling mentoring anyone is really unnecessary. Isn’t he the one Bryant was suspended for lying about meeting with back in college?

Bryant should stay clear of Deon. Is he going to teach Bryant how to dress in public? Good grief Charlir Brown!

41. whatevnfl says: Mar 25, 2011 3:47 PM

“I told the Cowboys from Day 1 that he needs help. Matter of fact, they have a team in place to help him.”

Well except during a lockout they don’t.

Stfunowplease – you really should b/c that’s a pretty classless comment.

42. ocho says: Mar 25, 2011 3:54 PM

I dont like the Cowboys or any of their players but this story really bothers me…i never really bought Deion Sanders “new” image as a guy who was really big on giving back (at least not w/o getting something in return). Im glad Dez exposed Deion for the fraud that he is, “That made me feel he must be getting something from Under Armour.” I hope that some of Deion’s can determine this clowns true colors now.

43. ocho says: Mar 25, 2011 4:02 PM

Sanders was asked if what Bryant is dealing with is an immaturity issue.

“Very much so,” Sanders said. “The same thing people are criticizing this kid for is the same thing I was trying to help him with.”

———————————————–

Lets see, an old immature person teaching a young immature person how to be mature…how could this situation have ever failed?

44. olskool711 says: Mar 25, 2011 4:08 PM

“It’s stories like this that remind why these players are compensated millions to bare the burden of NFL slavery.

Those shackles of NFL slavery will be broken soon enough. (And they won’t even need Al Sharpton’s “help”.)”

Classic!

45. timegambit says: Mar 25, 2011 4:11 PM

Maybe he was at the mall to buy a belt or suspenders.

If Paul Blart gives him just 5 more minutes Dez might have been walking around that mall lookin’ like Urkel.

46. banfootball4life says: Mar 25, 2011 4:28 PM

Deion to stay away from Dez is good news for Cowboy fan`s. Last thing we need is for Dez to be warped by Neon.

47. redsghost says: Mar 25, 2011 4:35 PM

Just noticed that this site has an advertisement for a brand called “Hugo Boss” and it says- “Dress me”.
    Perhaps Bryant would benefit from playing this game?

48. lgbarn says: Mar 25, 2011 4:46 PM

Say what you want about Deon but he always wore nice clothes even if they required sunglasses if you were with 10 feet of him. You never saw him with his pants on the ground.

Such a stupid fad to begin with. It’s not a cultural statement, it’s just dumb.

49. redsghost says: Mar 25, 2011 5:06 PM

and just HOW dumb and stupid must you be to wear them like that? Ever watch Cops and see how the brothers do when being chased? Last count I think it was 873 to 0.

50. rockymtnphinfan says: Mar 25, 2011 5:33 PM

Somewhere Jeff Ireland is having a good laugh about this

51. favresdong says: Mar 25, 2011 5:47 PM

Dez’s mom knows a thing or two about wearing your pants low.

52. stairwayto7 says: Mar 25, 2011 6:10 PM

This comes from Dieon Sanders who cheated on his wife, tried to kill himself by driving his car off a 3 foot cliff and saying God saved him and told Dzi to lie to NCAA about talking to him? DIEON IS THE ONE WHO NEEDS HELP!!!

53. smokehouse56 says: Mar 25, 2011 7:01 PM

Hey coffinberry, how much money do you think these sloppy looking kids spend at the mall? Zero. It’s entertainment for them. Having said that, you probably are correct. But the mall would be much better off without them, that for sure.

54. melonnhead says: Mar 25, 2011 7:41 PM

55. mrznyc says: Mar 26, 2011 12:26 AM

Prison chic – No belts in prison.

56. plundergrunge says: Mar 26, 2011 2:10 AM

He has been welcomed back to the mall btw.

57. 1historian says: Mar 26, 2011 7:33 AM

slow news day

58. footballace says: Mar 26, 2011 6:29 PM

“I look at the story of Bryant getting into it with a mall security guard over allegedly wearing his pants low and wonder why it’s a mall security guard’s place to tell customers how to dress.”

If I am the owner of the mall and someone comes in looking all jacked up, its my right and the people who work for mes right to ask you to leave.

If you have a problem with my rules there are other malls in the area you can shop at.

My mall, my rules and you if you don’t like it then hit the bricks pal.