Bucs “deeply troubled” by Talib arrest

Image (1) NFL_dominik_250.jpg for post 77960 Getty Images

Bucs G.M. Mark Dominik has released a statement following cornerback Aqib Talib’s arrest Tuesday.

“We are deeply troubled by the serious charges filed against Aqib Talib. Due to current labor circumstances, we will withhold any further comment or action,” Dominik said.

The Bucs chose not to comment on Aqib Talib’s situation Monday, but decided to speak up after a warrant was issued for Talib’s arrest.

Many folks in Tampa were calling for Talib to be released before arrest warrants were issued for Talib and his mother.  But Dominik can’t do anything about the situation for now because of the lockout.

The Bucs can’t call Talib to see how he’s doing.  They can’t help him in any way.

Talib is on his own now, and will face a possible suspension from the league when the lockout ends.   Considering Talib’s prior history, we suspect the the team will part ways with him when it’s allowed.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
23 Responses to “Bucs “deeply troubled” by Talib arrest”
  1. yzguy431 says: Mar 29, 2011 5:14 PM

damn lockout caused it all.

2. thegonz13 says: Mar 29, 2011 5:15 PM

“We are deeply troubled by the serious charges filed against Aqib Talib. Due to current labor circumstances, we will withhold any further comment or action,” Dominik says.

Dominik then turned to his assistant and asked “How much would we be on the hook for on the salary with this moron?”.

3. nackul says: Mar 29, 2011 5:20 PM

Calling it now.

Future Raven.

4. duanethomas says: Mar 29, 2011 5:21 PM

They are deeply troubled but shouldn’t be surprised. If you would have given them this scenario 6 months ago and let them guess the player on their team that was involved, Talib’s name would have been at the top of the list. They know what they have, very aware.

5. thehighhat says: Mar 29, 2011 5:24 PM

Serves Dominik right, having looked past character concerns and patterning the Bucs after the early 2000’s Bengals. Looking for the quick fix will be Dominik’s downfall.

6. snookau says: Mar 29, 2011 5:41 PM

Talib isn’t a Dominik pick. He was the choice of Bruce Allen and Jonny Gumdrops Gruden.

7. denverhighrize says: Mar 29, 2011 5:44 PM

While most players offseason seems to be focused on training or some other venture, Talib seems to focus on his other pastime, crime. Well I guess you could say the “red flags” about him coming out of Kansas were accurate. Todd McShay was right…for once.

8. brasho says: Mar 29, 2011 6:10 PM

It’s funny how every sportswriter keeps saying the Bucs will likely release the 25-year old Talib. What’s funny about it is that teams usually aren’t so willing to give-up on players that have yet to enter their primes and look to be one of the better CBs in the game.

I don’t think he gets released. The guy is an all-pro quality CB…jettisoning him because of an incident, even as severe as this one, would be a bit premature. Especially considering that if Talib straightens himself out, how painful it would be for the Bucs to see him making Pro Bowls and All-Pro teams in another uniform.

9. reallionnaire says: Mar 29, 2011 6:15 PM

And starting at cornerback for The Oakland Raiders….
    or how is this one…”Dan Snyder loves this guys talent, look for Washington to make a move to aquire”…

10. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 29, 2011 6:27 PM

Awww, this is sooo sad that players like Talib don’t have a deal in place for more money. They should have a provision in the new CBA to also cover all legal fees no-questions asked for all personal situations. Poor Talib. We need to get back to the negotiating table and start pouring our droves of new cash to all these unfortunate players that sooooo deserve to get paid bigger bucks than they already have been offered. I mean how can Talib and other guys like him be able to afford nice things when they run into troubles like this. He might not be able to play football in the NFL again, and the chance to load him up with extra millions is already gone. Let’s get that changed so more of these guys can get more upfront money so we don’t have to risk it. Raise ticket prices if we have to, all the blue-collar fans totally don’t mind, that’s what they work for, to pay these people money to get through prison terms. C’mon guys everybody chip in and let’s get a pot going and send it to Talib’s family.

11. armchairgm9 says: Mar 29, 2011 6:41 PM

Talib was a Gruden/Allen pick. Not a Dominik pick. So was Tanard Jackson. Aqib will be lucky to get another chance, but it is really tough to cut a player with his ability. I’d expect a suspension and counseling before being cut. If he gets jail time, depending on the length, he probably gets cut.

Either way, the lockout buys time for the situation to play itself out before Bucs’ brass has to make that decision. Even if the situation isn’t settled by the time there’s a new CBA, the Bucs can place it on the back burner and blame it on “focusing on the team that we have her, and getting prepared for the upcoming season.”

12. dkeyser says: Mar 29, 2011 7:10 PM

Hell they might not even have to part ways with him..Johnny Law may do the job for them by locking his ass up for the next 5-15 years

13. schlereth says: Mar 29, 2011 7:30 PM

At least he fired shots AT someone. I guess he didn’t take Plaxico’s “Learn How to Shoot Yourself in the Leg While Simultaneously Ruining Your Life Because Your Mama Raised You to Be a Badass Ghetto Blasta” class.

14. sethb222 says: Mar 29, 2011 10:13 PM

If my sister had been assaulted earlier in the day by a guy that had assaulted her on a previous occasions and was there at her apartment trying to hurt her and maybe even kill her (put enough fear that she called her family to help) I may grab my gun on the way there.

People don’t know what kind of guy the dude was. People dont know the situation and domestic violence leads to more murder then anything else.

I’m not saying i agree with shooting at someone, but i understand.

The Police don’t always protect people, they issue orders but their pieces of paper, not bodyguards.

15. bigdawgy54 says: Mar 29, 2011 10:18 PM

This guy will NOT play another down for the Buccaneers!
    CUT HIM!
    He is likely to receive a huge suspension from the Commisioner. He’s likely to be tied up quite a while when his trial commences. He’s likely to be sentenced to 5+ years in prison.
    Based on the past bad behavior by this guy and now this, he is GONE FROM THE BUCS.
    I am sick and tired of the NFL letting criminals like this play just because they are good athletes. The Commisioner has come to realize that guys like this, repeated trouble makers, are not good for the NFL.
    CUT HIM!

16. ernestbynershands says: Mar 29, 2011 10:40 PM

Did anyone else notice that when Talib is spellchecked, it suggests Taliban?

17. drumbug7 says: Mar 29, 2011 10:51 PM

Wasnt there an article on here a few months ago that said players wouldnt be held liable under the Personal Conduct Policy in the event of a lockout?

So, in this scenario, Talib would be in danger of being cut by the Bucs, but Goodell wouldn’t be able to touch him once a new CBA is in place, right?

18. saberstud75 says: Mar 29, 2011 11:03 PM

It is refreshing to see heart-felt stories like these in times when it seems like family values have fallen by the wayside.

A son and his mother, “getting their gun on” to protect another family member from domestic violence. Very touching…. NOT!

The more players I see like this the less I want to spend my Sundays watching these clowns. Lock these fools out indefinately.

19. doe22us says: Mar 29, 2011 11:24 PM

brasho says:
    Mar 29, 2011 6:10 PM

An incident is when i get into a quarrel with someone or something minor, you a probably a relation of Talib and Okolo (mum) to post such a asinine comment

20. propernig says: Mar 29, 2011 11:44 PM

All teams have turds. He’s just one of the ones you put up with. It probably won’t even stick when its all said and done in the court system. And thats always been company line with the Bucs. Always hands off and a nonchalance approach to player transgressions. I don’t see him getting fined or suspended till its all said and done. Gotta roll with the guy until he’s guilty. If the Bucs release him there’s gonna be 5-10 teams callin quick. Let’em be the “Mike Vick” like story here in the Bay area than in some other NFL city. He’s got talent and with Tanard Jackson coming back. It sets up for a good defense. GO BUCS ALL DAY!

21. mick730 says: Mar 29, 2011 11:55 PM

“I am sick and tired of the NFL letting criminals like this play just because they are good athletes. ”

True, but guys like Talib, and many others in the NFL, have been passed through the educational system since grade school because they can play football. I will bet you that this guy has no degree from his university and in all liklihood is nowhere near having enough credits to even come close to a degree. His high school transcript was probably conveniently lost even before he got to college and had he not been a football player, he would more likely than not have a rap sheet as thick as the yellow pages.

When I was an undergrad at a PAC-10 school, to earn extra money I tutored for the athletic department. I tutored some of these very guys who we see stories about today and if I told you what the athletic department did for some of them, your jaws would hit the floor. Heck, I was taking out student loans to get me through, so I was more than willing to let the athletic department throw cash my way to get these guys passing grades.

My roommates used to just roll on the floor laughing when these guys would call looking for me.

22. CKL says: Mar 30, 2011 12:20 AM

brasho says: Mar 29, 2011 6:10 PM

______________________________________
    I feel about that the same way I feel about any other player my team would get rid of for whatever reason succeeding elsewhere. I wouldn’t care what they did elsewhere, all that matters is what he does and how he acts on the team I root for. It’s one reason I stuck up for the Raiders on here when they traded Moss to my team and Moss had that great year in 07. He wouldn’t have done that in Oak, he was never going to do that in Oak. They HAD to get rid of him and take what they could get without cutting him because he was becoming divisive there. It worked well for both teams. And then came the time Moss wasn’t going to do that in NE either..boom..he had to go.

I’m human though so I admit I laugh a little when they are whiners and the grass isn’t greener elsewhere like they thought. :)

23. Canyonero says: Mar 30, 2011 7:33 AM

People keep saying he’s the most talented member of the defense, so what. Remember when the same could be said of Pacman Jones & the Titans?

They never won anything with that guy. Teams need players who are members of the team.