Bills will go after defense, lie about their draft plans

Buffalo Bills v Cincinnati Bengals Getty Images

When Chan Gailey took over in Buffalo, the defense actually looked to be in decent shape.  In four seasons with Dick Jauron, the Bills never ranked below 18th in points allowed.

Gailey transitioned the team to a 3-4 defense, and the team fell all the way to the 28th in points allowed.  (They remained 28th in points scored.)   Suddenly, defense looks likes the team’s biggest priorities.

“If I had to say today, I’d say we’re going to use most of our picks defensively,” Gailey told Bills season ticket holders Tuesday, via BuffaloBills.com.  “I think we have to try to shore up our defensive football team. We have to try to get stronger there, get quicker there, get nastier there.”

We would still bet on the Bills taking a quarterback at No. 3, although Gailey said quarterback is not the team’s biggest need.

Then again, Gailey’s buddy G.M. Buddy Nix had another quote worth keeping in mind for the next month.

“It’s not a sin to tell a lie pre-draft,” Nix said.  “Everybody does it.  It’s accepted.  So everything you hear or read or see, you need to keep in mind that about 10 percent of it’s the truth.”

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
11 Responses to “Bills will go after defense, lie about their draft plans”
  1. graham wieja says: Mar 30, 2011 3:15 PM

gailey’s a straight shooter, and I think he can get the bills back on track.

2. igor1984 says: Mar 30, 2011 3:23 PM

If we take Gailey at his word (??), then he’s only telling about 10% of the ‘truth.’

… was that statement in the 10% or not?

3. bradleyjames080 says: Mar 30, 2011 3:32 PM

Like any team changing defensive schemes … they need some big help in their front 7. They have 2 players worth a damn in Kevin Williams and Poz, now they need to add some pieces. They could also use some O-line help, but there’s no one worth drafting that high. I’d be surprised if they passed on Von Miller. Newton makes sense if he falls since he fits the Chan Gailey mold, but I get the feeling the talk of other qb’s is just a smoke screen.

4. iflounder says: Mar 30, 2011 3:36 PM

i think that sin quote came from gm buddy nix not gailey.

5. rayala3 says: Mar 30, 2011 3:59 PM

the Bills have lots of big needs.

6. marvsleezy says: Mar 30, 2011 4:12 PM

Yea, its like good cop bad cop – Gaily is a straight shooter, Buddy Nix lies 90% of the time – They work well together.

7. thefiesty1 says: Mar 30, 2011 4:20 PM

Gailey doesn’t know the difference between offense and defense. Not a clue. The Bills are doomed to the bottom of the ranks with him there.

8. freedomispopular says: Mar 30, 2011 5:56 PM

I honestly think Ryan Fitzpatrick could be their answer at QB if they can assemble a decent team around him.

9. djzupp says: Mar 30, 2011 6:17 PM

This article was dumb. Chan is the man. He wants Defense, and they will end up drafting mostly defense. Not taking a QB at 3 because none of them are future QB’s. I say they will either get peterson, dareus, or miller…Go Bills

10. airraid77 says: Mar 30, 2011 6:48 PM

HEY you lie to…trying to pass yourselves off as fair in your coverage of the labor debate……..Your lying……get over it.

11. rabidbillsfan says: Mar 30, 2011 8:31 PM

Alright, finally! I think Chan knows what he’s doing. I think it’s expected that a team drafting in the top-5 says they’re intrested in the top quarterback prospects, just to please the media. He knows what he has more than anybody else. Also, it’s Kyle Williams, not Kevin. And Poz really isn’t worth a dang anyways, I’d like to see him replaced, or paired with a better ILB. I think we have 4 solid pieces to build on, on defense. Moats, Williams, McKelvin,and Byrd. I honestly wouldn’t mind drafting Peterson either. Lets Go Bills!!!!