Chad Pennington tears ACL playing basketball

Chad Pennington, Marc Mariani AP

Chad Pennington’s run of awful luck continues.

He’s been rehabbing his surgically-repaired shoulder with hopes of making another NFL comeback.  That plan will be put on hold after he tore his ACL playing pickup basketball, according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen.

Pennington will undergo surgery on April 7.   It’s hard to imagine him coming back from this latest injury in addition to the shoulder issues, but we’ve counted him out too quickly before.

SI’s Peter King believed Pennington may have wound up finding a starting job in 2011 because he could step in to a new system without much practice and be ready to go.  Unfortunately, that won’t happen now.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Chad Pennington tears ACL playing basketball”
  1. vdaigglesfan says: Mar 31, 2011 2:26 PM

This guys ligaments are made of kindling.

2. chapnastier says: Mar 31, 2011 2:28 PM

It isn’t over. He is Brett Favre with far less talent. He wont give up.

3. geniusesq says: Mar 31, 2011 2:29 PM

Damn this guy is frail. #justcoach

4. handlethehandles says: Mar 31, 2011 2:30 PM

every seen the movie unbreakable… Chad is Samuel l Jackson…

5. closisgood says: Mar 31, 2011 2:30 PM

Now if only Romo could….nvm

6. Deb says: Mar 31, 2011 2:31 PM

Nooooooooo!

Classy guy. One of the hardest-working players in the league. Horrible news.

God bless, Chad.

7. finfanrod says: Mar 31, 2011 2:32 PM

Man this is really sad to see. He is truly a class act and while I hated him as a Jet I really loved him when he was a Dolphins player. I hope he comes into coaching with our team.

God speed Chad I really hope you keep your talents in South Beach!

8. malgorthewarrior says: Mar 31, 2011 2:32 PM

I bet Peter King’s comment was something like this:

Pennington’s career might be over. Or he could get a starting job next year. Possibly.

Why? Because Peter King is one of the worst sports writers of all time. Not only is he not good at writing, he waffles on every last statement. Maybe. Possibly. Or possibly not. WHO KNOWS!!!

9. jhorton83 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:33 PM

I think that just about ends his playing career. Mr. Glass was a good QB when healthy, but that “when healthy” part wasn’t very often.

10. rugdog100 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:33 PM

Those Marshall guys seem to injure themselves playing basketball in the off-season. Randy Moss severely sprained an ankle in a pick-up game that bothered him for years.

11. smarterthantheaveragebearfan says: Mar 31, 2011 2:33 PM

Guy has been jinxed his whole career….

12. skoobyfl says: Mar 31, 2011 2:35 PM

He’s the Elijah Price (unbreakable villian) long lost brother, from another mother.

13. texasphinsfan says: Mar 31, 2011 2:35 PM

Wow, poor guy.

Heart of gold, ligaments of paper.

14. iisaintii says: Mar 31, 2011 2:37 PM

This guy could get hurt sitting on a bench.

15. berniemadoffsides says: Mar 31, 2011 2:37 PM

On the plus side, if they make a sequel to the movie “Unbreakable”, he can give Samuel L. Jackson’s role of Mr. Glass to Chad.

16. dukemarc says: Mar 31, 2011 2:39 PM

So now Mr. Noodle Arm won’t be able to step into his passes? Wow, I didn’t think his YPA could get any lower.

17. phintasm says: Mar 31, 2011 2:39 PM

‘Brett Favre with far less talent’???

I must’ve missed the stories with Pennington sexting pics of his weiner to sideline reporters or the annual ‘Retire-fest’.

If anything, he’s been the anti-Favre. By all accounts, Pennington has always been a classy guy. When healthy he’s been pretty good. In fact, statistically, he’s one of the most accurate passers of all time.

18. cl8n82 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:40 PM

he was a good player that you never heard much/if any bad things about.

He will be a coach somewhere soon, he loves the game to much not to be around it.

19. thevikes85 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:41 PM

He’s done

20. thehatefulnerd says: Mar 31, 2011 2:46 PM

DAYum. We love you Chad, but maybe you should retire while there’s still something left and stick to Madden.

21. rovibe says: Mar 31, 2011 2:46 PM

Feel bad for this guy. He really looked like he coul have been a great QB after his rookie season. Too many injuries have taken their toll.

22. hoppes1 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:47 PM

Come on Chad, start looking for a coaching Job.

23. southridge23 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:48 PM

Even though there’ll be a ton of posts on here calling him an idiot for playing, I feel for the guy and I’m not a fan of CP…sorry to hear

24. thenewenglandpatriots12 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:48 PM

Chad maybe this is a sign from God telling you to retire.

25. packerfanfornot4life says: Mar 31, 2011 2:49 PM

Has he ever heard of Zach Greinke?

26. richgannon says: Mar 31, 2011 2:50 PM

Can you say 3 time Comeback player of the year

27. bluefan204 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:50 PM

If this isn’t an omen to stop…

I like Chad. Always have, but it’s time to go.

28. jnbnet says: Mar 31, 2011 2:51 PM

You have to feel bad for the guy. He has heart…but I guess that’s not enough.

29. scoob766 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:52 PM

Why would he play anything until he gets paid? He should sit in a bubble.

30. chillyp says: Mar 31, 2011 2:52 PM

Dude. I would sleep in an Oxygen Tent and not come out until the Start of the season. Give ur body every chance.

31. broncobeta says: Mar 31, 2011 2:55 PM

I mean he has like two years to recover.

32. oumoonunit says: Mar 31, 2011 2:56 PM

He will be a coach next year.

33. tombradyswig says: Mar 31, 2011 2:56 PM

Tough luck for a good guy!!
    Good luck Chad….

34. cleanface says: Mar 31, 2011 2:59 PM

Well, if Peter King thinks he thought there was a 60% half chance that Pennington would have had a starting job that it definitely would have happened. But he’s not saying it would happen, just that there’s a 53% chance that a team might be high on him. Possibly.

35. EJ says: Mar 31, 2011 2:59 PM

Brain of a Field General, body of Gumby.

36. ronithan23 says: Mar 31, 2011 3:06 PM

Chad’s days as a starter were probably done either way, but he will only be 36 in September, 2012. For those of you who think that’s too old to be a backup, check out Mark Brunell. He earned over a million at age 40 this past year.

Even if his career as a quarterback is done, he could be a Coach in the league anytime he wants to. Think of how fast Jason Garrett went from player, to assistant, to Head Coach…

37. myeaglescantwin says: Mar 31, 2011 3:10 PM

I would never laugh at someone getting injured ,,

Chad,,, i cant believe how soft you are,.. you should not perform ANY physical activities. ever… you broke your hand in digusting fashion just fallin down, seem to shatter whenever a breeze picks up
    u need to be smart and be the new BUBBLE BOY..

38. geniusesq says: Mar 31, 2011 3:11 PM

I will never forget his rant against the NY Jets media. He tore his vocal cord delivering it.

39. meso0rnery says: Mar 31, 2011 3:23 PM

Holy crap, this guy must be related to Samuel L Jackson’s character in Unbreakable.

40. mksnpcola says: Mar 31, 2011 3:30 PM

Save all your nasty comments for someone deserving of such. Chad Pennington is a great guy. Sorry to hear about the knee. I wish you well in what ever you do, even if it is another comeback.

41. thefiesty1 says: Mar 31, 2011 3:41 PM

Tough break for a decent player that always gave his all and more. I fear the end is near.

42. rockymtnphinfan says: Mar 31, 2011 3:50 PM

IF you decide to retire Penne, the phins would love to have you as a QB coach!

43. oldbyrd says: Mar 31, 2011 3:50 PM

Good Kid. I wish him well.

44. nackul says: Mar 31, 2011 4:35 PM

Penne leaves as Ponder comes in.

Funny how history tends to repeat itself.

Either way, sucks to see one of my favorite QB go down again. It’s really heartbreaking.

45. gcsuk says: Mar 31, 2011 4:58 PM

Do people even BOTHER reading the comments before they leave their own? My God, I don’t want to see ONE MORE “Unbreakable” comment about this story. Enough already!

46. jhorton83 says: Mar 31, 2011 4:58 PM

ronithan23 says:
    Mar 31, 2011 3:06 PM
    ————————————————–

The difference is that Brunell has never had injury problems. Pennington’s shoulder fell apart again on literally his first play of the season last year. Teams do like veteran QBs as backups, but not veteran QBs who are going to get injured the first time they’re thrust into action.

47. JSpicoli says: Mar 31, 2011 5:22 PM

In other news, the sun came up today.

He is on the All-Tinman team.

48. ronithan23 says: Mar 31, 2011 5:54 PM

jhorton83 says:
    Mar 31, 2011 4:58 PM
    ronithan23 says:
    Mar 31, 2011 3:06 PM
    ————————————————–

Brunell did tear his labrum and had reconstructive shoulder surgery, but you’re right that his injury history is shorter than Pennington’s. I’m not saying Chad’s DEFINITELY going to get a backup job. I’m just saying that I wouldn’t bet against it.

49. 305phinphan says: Mar 31, 2011 6:11 PM

Pennington is one of the “Good Guys” in the NFL. Even when he played for the Jets I always had respect for the guy. He carries himself very well and should be a role model to all players in the league. It’s a shame that he keeps having these medical mishaps but I wish him all the luck and a speedy recovery.

50. ocgunslinger says: Mar 31, 2011 6:11 PM

A quality guy who you never heard any negative off the field exploits. I don’t know what is next for Chad but I am sure his enthusiasm will affect those around him. I wish him well.

51. rapmusicmademedoit says: Mar 31, 2011 6:37 PM

I truly feel sorry for Chad, I loved this guy when he was with the Jets
    and Bill Parcells loved him too, that tells you fellas all you need to know right there.I won’t count him out, this guy is a winner…

52. dirtdawg55 says: Mar 31, 2011 6:42 PM

He could play a role in Unbreakable. What? That was done already? Oh. Sorry. Okay, try this one … he could get hurt sitting on the bench. Ah, pardon? Done too? Oh. Hmmm. What about “he’s a great guy and I’m sor …” Yeah, got it. Let me guess. That was also posted. How about questioning why he was playing pick-up basketball in the first place? Huh? Ditto?

Sorry. I got nothing then.