Nawrocki: Teams said Newton evaluation “hit it on the head”

Cam Newton

ProFootball Weekly’s Nolan Nawrocki’s has taken a lot of harsh criticism this week following his harsh criticism of Cam Newton.

It’s been an interesting debate.  Did Nawrocki cross the line?

After listening to Nawrocki on PFT Live, we believe he was just giving his honest evaluation.  Nawrocki may get more respect around the league than any other draft analyst, and generally deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Time will tell if he’s right, but plenty of NFL teams agree with his assessment of Newton.

“I’ve had a lot of calls and messages from people I deal with on a regular basis in the NFL offering encouragement and support, letting me know what I wrote and the final result on that evaluation, that they believe in it,” Nawrocki told Florio.  “That I hit it on the head.”

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Nawrocki: Teams said Newton evaluation “hit it on the head””
  1. 11inthebox says: Mar 31, 2011 3:11 PM

What Nawrocki doesn’t say is that the people who agreed with him…. all represent teams who aren’t in position to draft Newton. And they’re pissed because of it.

2. jimr10 says: Mar 31, 2011 3:15 PM

Nawrocki may get more respect around the league than any other “draft analyst.”

never heard of him.

3. snnyjcbs says: Mar 31, 2011 3:15 PM

And who can prove what he has stated is true or false. I received a ton of calls as well from many claiming I am the man. Prove me a Liar on that one if you can. These folks he brings up do not even know the man is alive and facts are that most so called Expert Draft Media Types are laughed at my the real men that ARE PAID BY NFL TEAMS and are earning a living being the Real Experts.

4. baboushka says: Mar 31, 2011 3:21 PM

I’m sorry. I must have missed something on this one and this guy. He seems to be on a seek and destroy Cam Newton mission for himself or someone else. Why is he doing this? Why is he singling out Newton like he commited some kind of crime. It is sick what this bozo and some of the scouts, analysts and media hacks are doing with Cam Newton. Sooner or later Newton’s actions on the Football field itself will tell everything we need to know. And guys like this will stand as smart or stupid. If I was a team, I’d trust my own eyes and tape before passing on a proven winner like Newton for the likes of Gabbert, Mallet or Locker. None of them stood out in college. I fully understand if a team doesn’t want to use the #1 pick to take Cam Newton. WHat I don’t understand is why people like Nawrocki are so deeply invested in destroying that kid’s dream.

5. whathappenedtovox says: Mar 31, 2011 3:24 PM

6. alphaq2 says: Mar 31, 2011 3:25 PM

I don’t understand the big deal about Newton. He’s a great athlete but misses on the Parcells stat line. 26 wonderlic, 60% completions and 29 games played. He is a risk, but will still go in the top half of the first round. What is everyone so riled up over?

7. shaggytoodle says: Mar 31, 2011 3:26 PM

This has NOTHING what so ever to do with race (W. Moon), I think if Gabbert or Mallet did the same things. I would think they would get judged likewise.

I still don’t think much of the QBs in this draft. If you can get one of them in the lower portion of the 1st maybe, but I see a lot of 2nd round QBs that are being talked about as top 15 picks and are going to get overpaid.

8. invizibleskull says: Mar 31, 2011 3:31 PM

Where the hell was this guy when JaMarcus Russell came out?

9. skoobyfl says: Mar 31, 2011 3:34 PM

Anything to get Cam down the board to their team, next it will be some small crime or investigation out of Washington for the Skins to grab him tenth.

10. stevemo says: Mar 31, 2011 3:36 PM

“These folks he brings up do not even know the man is alive and facts are that most so called Expert Draft Media Types are laughed at my the real men that ARE PAID BY NFL TEAMS and are earning a living being the Real Experts.”

Yeah, I laugh at guys that are getting paid several times as much as me to do my job as well.

11. seeschool says: Mar 31, 2011 3:36 PM

Nawrocki may get more respect around the league than any other “draft analyst.”

“never heard of him.”

So, there are 30 people looking at a draft article who don’t know one of the most recognized draft experts in the country.

Ever heard of Profootballweekly? Joel Bushbaum?

If not…maybe….just maybe….you shouldn’t be talking draft talk.

12. seeschool says: Mar 31, 2011 3:42 PM

“Nawrocki has no business giving his opinion that Newton is a phony without ever having spoken to the kid. That’s hackneyed garbage. And I’m not so sure “Nawrocki gets more respect around the league than any ‘draft analyst.’” I write for a respected football blog that gets half a million site hits per month, and I’ve never heard of this clown.”

Yes he does. He’s gathered information from NFL personnel, coaches, college coaches and he’s drawn those conclusions based on that research.

Talking to Cam Newton would be pointless. He’ll give the same canned answers he would be giving at any press conference he’s ever done. I could watch a video of him talking on youtube and get the same information that I would from him in person. This isn’t politics, in order to understand how he would mesh with a locker room and an organization you would have to know how he’s observed to have behaved with his teamates and at his school. If he’s a phony…is he going to volunteer this information to you?

If you haven’t heard of Nolan Nawrocki, you’re clearly not as informed as you think you are. He was Profootballweekly’s replacement for the late, great Joel Bushbaum. He’s done a pretty good job, certainly not of the calibre of Joel, but those are tough shoes to fill.

13. fordwuzanazi says: Mar 31, 2011 3:42 PM

Concerning the analysis, a wise man once said “We’ll see!”

14. profootballwalk says: Mar 31, 2011 3:42 PM

“People – who will remain anonymous – totally agree with me, so I’ve been proven right!.”

15. henryjones20 says: Mar 31, 2011 3:45 PM

shaggtoodle or whateveryounameis: lot of rumors bout malletts drug use,why isnt nawrocki or whatever his name is talkn bout that? better yet,why are there nobobdy on this site callin mallett nast names?? oh,because he didnt call himself a ICON. how cruel of cam 2 call himself that.at the end of the day,im rootin 4 them all 2 do well

16. TurdSandwich says: Mar 31, 2011 3:47 PM

Cam Newton invented gravity.

17. bigmike7914 says: Mar 31, 2011 4:07 PM

Never judge a man by word of mouth, talk to him, get to know him, and spend time with him your self before you make an assessment of his character, but on the other hand this kid brought everything on him self by not taking full responsibility of his actions and acting like everything is owed to him….[SN] I dont know about you guys but I would have bought a laptop for 250 bucks also….

18. whathappenedtovox says: Mar 31, 2011 4:12 PM

_____________________________

So you’re telling me that NFL coaches are going to just volunteer their honest assessment that they think Cam Newton is some sort of phony? Is that what they do?

19. tombradyswig says: Mar 31, 2011 4:15 PM

TurdSandwich says: Mar 31, 2011 3:47 PM

Cam Newton invented gravity.

False sir…. Cam Newton IS gravity!!!!

20. kindbass says: Mar 31, 2011 4:28 PM

Isaac Newton was a great quarterback for Oxford.

21. 11inthebox says: Mar 31, 2011 4:38 PM

I got mostly thumbs down for my comment. Wow!

I keep forgetting that most people are looking for people to hate. And Cam Newton is just perfect. My bad. Sorry for the thoughtful counterpoint. Carry on with the hate. Hope it improves your lives!

22. hobartbaker says: Mar 31, 2011 4:40 PM

I suppose Nawrocki might have shown a bit more sensitivity towards a young man whose head and facial features have been grotesquely deformed by exposure to performance enhancing drugs since childhood.

23. zoxitic says: Mar 31, 2011 4:41 PM

Nawrocki knows his stuff. In 2009, his 1st round mock draft correctly picked 15 players matched to the team that drafted them.

24. prmpft says: Mar 31, 2011 4:45 PM

i cannot say i am very impressed with jabberwocky’s credentials – in fact, can’t say i’ve ever even heard his name evoked prior to this little tirade…

25. ppdoc13 says: Mar 31, 2011 5:14 PM

What bothers me about this whole deal is the depth to which our country has plunged in the PC wars. Say something bad about a black athlete and it is obvious that you are a racist. We are at the point now where the only people we can criticize are white americans and sooner or later we won’t be able to do that.

Warren Moon is a buffoon with this issue. Cam Newton had one, just one year of real college football. His record is tarnished by the actions of his father who was selling to the highest bidder and himself over the laptop issue and the icon issue.

Every top 5 QB in the draft is under a microscope. Clausen was savaged last year, but you never heard anyone complain that it was racist. But because Cam is black there must be racism involved.

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Cam has brought much of this crap on himself. Someone is going to draft this kid in the first round, and in 3 or 4 years will either look brilliant or stupid. But what Cam is getting now is no different than what Ryan Leaf got before the draft, or Akili Smith, or Tim Couch, or Brady Quinn etc, etc. And many of these guys had much longer college records that could be picked over.

I am damned well tired of our PC society. The great John McKay said after drafting Doug Williams when he was asked about taking a black QB in the first round said something to the effect of, “I don’t care if he is pink with polka dots, the man can throw the football.” We’ll find out all we need to know about Cam over the next few years. By then we will have moved on to the next two or three great messiahs of the QB position and whether they were treated fairly or not.

Meanwhile, Warren needs to get out of the 1960′s, 70′s and even the 80′s and get a life.

26. chargerdillon says: Mar 31, 2011 5:31 PM

I think most of you responding and bashing this guy are completely out of your mind. He wouldn’t have his job if he obviously didnt have more credentials than you do which is why you respond to the evaluations he gets paid for.

Cam is a criminal, he’s been a criminal all through his young adult life. He’s cheated to get where he is and has absolutely ZERO integrity to billion dollar franchises who wont like a guy with major baggage.

This guy is radioactive and I wouldn’t touch him

27. ronithan23 says: Mar 31, 2011 6:02 PM

invizibleskull says:
    Mar 31, 2011 3:31 PM
    Where the hell was this guy when JaMarcus Russell came out?
    ———
    If I recall correctly, Nawrocki criticized Russell’s character very sharply. Having said that, he was a big proponent of taking Brady Quinn over him, so make of that what you will.

28. thefiesty1 says: Mar 31, 2011 6:19 PM

What’s a Nawrocki? I’ve never heard of him before these last couple of articles about Newton. Is he supposed to be some sort of a football draft expert?

29. rraider says: Mar 31, 2011 6:30 PM

I am not a Cam Newton fan but Nawrocki’s comments\critque seem to be a little more “personal” than most. He could have been more even in the “athletic ability” vs “character”
    department. i can see where things look a little racial bias. Whenever anybody speaks of Mallets off field issues they also make sure to mention the great arm and SEC pedigree. Nawrocki didnt seem to mention anything positive about Newton.

30. rc33 says: Mar 31, 2011 6:31 PM

Love these “football fans” who’ve never heard of Nawrocki. It’s only Pro Football Weekly.

We’ll see if Newton makes it in the NFL but it’ll take a few years to put together a reasonably accurate assessment.

31. ytownie says: Mar 31, 2011 7:10 PM

Do you guys who are knockin Nawrocki respect Mike Mayock? Well Mayock has stated many times that Nawrocki is the best in the business and he respects his judgement tremendously. Maybe you should do as a previous poster said and get a little education and research before you start commenting on the draft

32. isaacnewtonqb says: Mar 31, 2011 7:36 PM

Cam (no relation) is a fine player, indeed, but everything we did on offense at Oxford was so different that it makes comparison meaningless.

We are similar in we both were bathed in tail during the BMOC years, and we both dreaded being selected by the Bengals.

33. bukes111 says: Apr 1, 2011 10:56 AM

Nawrocki on Jamarcus Russell in 2007:

“Relies too much on his arm and natural ability and does not like to work; Has a lackadaisical approach to the game; Will require very tough coaching from a strong, authoritative figure, or he will get away with everything he can and may never develop; For as much upside as he has — and it’s off the charts — his downside is just as great, and he could be out of the league just as fast as he is in the Pro Bowl.”

Pretty spot on.