Patrick Peterson: I was never offered anything to go to LSU

Patrick Peterson AP

We passed along a report earlier Thursday that a Texas-based trainer is accused of shopping around cornerback Patrick Peterson’s college enrollment to the highest bidder back in 2007.

No one has accused Peterson of taking any money.   Peterson chose to release a statement through LSU Thursday.

“I have never had any type of relationship with Willie Lyles and he had no influence on my decision to attend LSU, or any other school for that matter,” Peterson said via SportsByBrooks.   “He had no involvement with my recruiting process and I resent the fact that my name has come up in these allegations. I never received nor was I offered anything to go to LSU and anyone saying otherwise is being dishonest.”

John Taylor over at CFT believes Peterson’s statement rings hollow.    There are a few documented articles from 2007 that indicate Peterson did have a relationship with Lyles in 2007.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
11 Responses to “Patrick Peterson: I was never offered anything to go to LSU”
  1. kingbattle says: Mar 31, 2011 5:34 PM

doesn’t matter now, he’s about to be a millionaire. and far as I’m concerned all of the college players should be paid.. colleges are making big so who cares..

2. hobartbaker says: Mar 31, 2011 5:44 PM

3. joeluv1972 says: Mar 31, 2011 6:09 PM

4. dbellina says: Mar 31, 2011 6:30 PM

“I never received nor was I offered anything to go to LSU and anyone saying otherwise is being dishonest.”

He’s a liar. He was offered, and received, a scholarship to go to LSU.

5. rraider says: Mar 31, 2011 6:53 PM

The trainer never said he took money from LSU or was offered it. He implied it, but what he said was what he told Texas A&M….. So Petersen could be telling the truth and technically the trainer could also.

6. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 31, 2011 7:27 PM

Yeah he didn’t write that. Also, how come he didn’t include his dad’s name in that denial, cause then I would think there is nothing to the story, now I think that there is even moreso than before. He didn’t say that possibly because he couldn’t? Otherwise why wouldn’t he say it in text that was clearly well thought out by somebody else. Surely they know we would suspect his dad had contact with the guy, that’s how these players do it, dealing directly on shady deals is stupid, you use a friend or family member or some other intermediary.

7. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Mar 31, 2011 7:42 PM

If getting money from colleges or boosters should actually impact one’s draft stock 10% plus of all players drafted probably wouldn’t have been. I’m stunned at how shocked people are that this goes on. It’s way way more common than most think.

8. fin72 says: Mar 31, 2011 8:30 PM

I’ll bet Warren Moon thinks this is racist!!!

9. whatswiththehate says: Mar 31, 2011 10:42 PM

“joeluv1972 says:
    Mar 31, 2011 6:09 PM
    A flat out denial…Cam “I’m not going to address any allegations” Newton could learn something from this kid.”
    ——————————-
    What’s your point outside of having Cam on your brains? The fact that you even memorize his quote is quite disturbing.

Accusations isn’t proof of anything. I can accuse you of being stupid that does that mean I’m right. And you can flat out deny it or say your not going to address any allegations. But techincally, Cam’s response is smarter…. But obviously, not to you.

10. granadafan says: Apr 1, 2011 1:10 AM

“hobartbaker says:
    Wow, that is some kind of articulation for a guy who scored 9 on the Wonderlic. Who knew?”

You’ll note that it was a statement released through LSU, ie., written by LSU lawyers.

11. voxveritass says: Apr 1, 2011 2:02 AM

If they stop the payment of top prospects the SEC will turn into Conference USA.