Aqib Talib “privately adamant” only mom fired gun

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Arizona Cardinals Getty Images

Bucs cornerback Aqib Talib isn’t going to go down to a felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge without a fight.

Rick Stroud of the St. Petersburg Times reports Talib is preparing a “vigorous defense” by hiring a top-notch sports attorney who has represented Alex Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa and Andy Pettitte.   He has also hired a Dallas criminal attorney and a private investigator.

The key to the defense: Talib is “privately adamant” he didn’t fire any gunshots.  Talib has told friends that only his mother Okolo Talib fired shots at his sister’s boyfriend Shannon Billings.

“I talked to Aqib two days ago,” said Clint Bowen, Talib’s defensive coordinator at Kansas.  “I told him, ‘I just read something about you firing a gun.’ He said, ‘Man, I didn’t do a thing. It’ll all come out soon.’ He just kept saying that . . . He said, ‘I didn’t do that. That was my mom. It’s all going to come out.”’

This is some intense and sad Shakespeare-level family drama here.  Or maybe The Wire.  [Editor’s note:  Personally, I think it’s a cross between The Beverly Hillbillies and Pulp Fiction.]

The investigation could come down to this:  Will Talib’s mom try to take the fall to keep her son out of jail?

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Aqib Talib “privately adamant” only mom fired gun”
  1. broncobeta says: Mar 31, 2011 1:20 PM

Someone is not a Momma’s boy.

2. jnbnet says: Mar 31, 2011 1:22 PM

“Hey Ma, why don’t you come down to the buss stop with me.”

3. oumoonunit says: Mar 31, 2011 1:23 PM

4. nyctexan says: Mar 31, 2011 1:25 PM

Damn, this is a first.

5. vdaigglesfan says: Mar 31, 2011 1:26 PM

Talib throws mom under the bus. I’m sure where ever dad is, he is mighty proud.

6. mattsffrd says: Mar 31, 2011 1:28 PM

and by “private” we mean on profootballtalk.com for the whole world to see

7. duanethomas says: Mar 31, 2011 1:28 PM

” I only pistol whipped him with my gun, mom fired the shots” What a loving son! “Mom there’s a bus leaving in 5 minutes..be under it”….Lol

8. shaggytoodle says: Mar 31, 2011 1:29 PM

This is why you don’t draft guys that have character issues. He is in the news for all the wrong reasons every other season it seems. If I recall correctly it started at the rookie orientation.

9. 7pints says: Mar 31, 2011 1:30 PM

If you get an invitation to the Talib family reunion…

10. RussianBreadMaker says: Mar 31, 2011 1:31 PM

What man throws his own mother under the bus?

11. petedutcher says: Mar 31, 2011 1:32 PM

Funny, I always thought such things should come down to truth and evidence.

It amazes me that no media source is considering hte possibility that Talib could well be telling the truth…especially a former attorney.

12. thevikes85 says: Mar 31, 2011 1:33 PM

Blaming his mom??coward.man up and accept your wrong doing.

13. saberstud75 says: Mar 31, 2011 1:34 PM

That’s right. Throw mom under the bus to stay out of jail and try to keep your job.

How are you going to face your posse after letting everyone know that you let your mom “get her gun on” while you just stood there?

14. dawkinseffect says: Mar 31, 2011 1:36 PM

give it 5 years and this will be a lifetime movie for sure.

15. FoozieGrooler says: Mar 31, 2011 1:36 PM

“..privately adament” just means don’t ask him in front of the grand jury.

16. poodawg says: Mar 31, 2011 1:39 PM

The Bengals have found a new CB.

17. Grinds My Gear says: Mar 31, 2011 1:39 PM

“My mother doesn’t love me enough to take a fall like that for me. She also wouldn’t shoot my sisters boyfriend. What a strong woman.”

You’re not making millions of dollar either.

18. garyman1 says: Mar 31, 2011 1:40 PM

Something tells me that Aqib’s mother will soon be enjoying a new house, car, or jewelry.

19. whoknowsnothing says: Mar 31, 2011 1:41 PM

Mel K. Said if the glove fits, so does the crime. He told him everything is going to be alright, he was drafted in the first round.
    He didn’t pull the trigger.

20. handlethehandles says: Mar 31, 2011 1:45 PM

Why ohh why does the NFL have to have so many of these kind of people in it…?

Cant they make a policy that holds these players accountable? I mean seriously cut the pay to one million max and treat them like garbage they take our money and shoot at people…Rape people.. say things like they are slaves..

There needs to be a web site that posts all the douche bags on it so we can try to do something to stop the money or hold the owners accountable to cut these guys..

21. tombradyswig says: Mar 31, 2011 1:46 PM

I’m pretty sure that’ll be a big resounding YES!~!!

22. nightman13 says: Mar 31, 2011 1:46 PM

All my family does at family functions is play cards…

23. endzonezombie says: Mar 31, 2011 1:46 PM

Without intending to seem rascist, this inter-family conflict is an issue that is more common within the black community and culture. Though no one wishes to play the race card, there are also elements of culture clash between the players ( predominantly black) and the owners ( predominantly white). This is not a clash between the ‘Haves’ and ‘ have nots’, but rather the ‘ Have more’ and ‘ have less’ power and control. That has led some players to a misguided reference to ‘ slavery’ . There also seems to be some racial undertones in the support of owners vs. players. Calling players ‘ morons’ and ‘idiots’ in this dispute suggests a resentment among some that runs deeper than a mere impasse in a CBA negotiation. Oh, sure, no one will ever admit there is a racial divide on these issues, but the personal attacks against players suggests otherwise. Hating on players for pursuing their collective bargaining rights through either negotiation or litigation seems too intense unless there are other issues involved as well. Some people are just resentful that players have so much wealth and glitter, but consider them ‘dumb’ and ‘stupid’ for challenging their ‘owners’.

24. mswravens says: Mar 31, 2011 1:48 PM

You mean…will his mom take the fall to preserve the “gravy train” she birthed, nurtured, and raised??? Gee, that’s a tough one to figure!

25. zaggs says: Mar 31, 2011 1:49 PM

I thought passed a certain age, like 16, sons were supposed to protect their mothers. Guess not.

26. cryptker says: Mar 31, 2011 1:51 PM

Yep,it`s always someone else….

27. odessabucs says: Mar 31, 2011 1:52 PM

Mom goes to jail for a few years, the goose with the golden egg may remain viable.

28. Deb says: Mar 31, 2011 1:53 PM

Have we ever discovered what the boyfriend did to the sister that prompted mom and brother to go after him with a gun?

29. falconsfan says: Mar 31, 2011 1:54 PM

If he’s willing to throw his Mom under the bus, would you want to be his teammate? What about his coach?

30. granadafan says: Mar 31, 2011 1:55 PM

Mother of the year! She must be so proud to have raised such a fine and outstanding citizen!

31. skoobyfl says: Mar 31, 2011 1:55 PM

Talib’s Mom grounded from texting for one month.

32. descendency says: Mar 31, 2011 1:57 PM

I don’t know which is worse…

Blaming your mom for shooting at someone or naming your son Shannon.

33. billsfan27 says: Mar 31, 2011 1:59 PM

Stop! Or my mom will shoot!

34. rovibe says: Mar 31, 2011 1:59 PM

Way to throw mom under the bus…

35. nfl25 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:04 PM

how do u tell people, my mom fired the shots not me. its not like its his boy, its his mom.

36. buccaboo says: Mar 31, 2011 2:04 PM

She should. He’s the money maker in the family!

37. vdaigglesfan says: Mar 31, 2011 2:04 PM

brings new meaning to the phrase “mom’s loving arms”

38. freddyfelder says: Mar 31, 2011 2:05 PM

MOM got to take the fall.. she was already the felon on probation… let son walk.. make a few more millions and about time she gets out..she gots a good check waiting…. it “IS” what it “IS”

39. airraid77 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:08 PM

If the mom were to conveniently go along with that story……he is still facing serious penalty from the nfl.

40. citizenstrange says: Mar 31, 2011 2:09 PM

Just FYI — If even I know about it, it’s not “privately.”

41. igor1984 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:15 PM

Will she “try” and take the fall????

If Talib has his way, she won’t have a choice but to take the fall!!!

As Rodney Dangerfield’s alter-ego Al Cervak used to say, “Now I know why tigers eat their young!”

42. 44kyle says: Mar 31, 2011 2:15 PM

A lot of judging when we don’t know what really happened. I am predisposed to not like this guy, but my sense of fairness is still able to overcome that. I think we should wait till we know more. It won’t hurt any of us to wait. Instant gratification is not a necessity here. Reminds me of the old west “String ‘em up” junk.

43. toad8572 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:23 PM

OK, when I first read this story I was surprised that Taqib took the gun from his mother to shoot it himself; who does that? It’s just possible that he took the gun from his mom to stop the shooting. That would be the normal thing to do.

However, he apparently did attempt to pistol-whip the guy, so who knows. Whatever the truth, mom won’t get mother of the year.

44. jodave5 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:27 PM

Win Win for Aqib. Mom takes the fall plus he can sell the house I’m sure he bought her when he was drafted.

45. closisgood says: Mar 31, 2011 2:33 PM

Since no one was hit with a bullet it probably wont stand as a felony.

Thats how Texas rolls.

46. smarterthantheaveragebearfan says: Mar 31, 2011 2:35 PM

“The investigation could come down to this: Will Talib’s mom try to take the fall to keep her son out of jail?”

————————

Is the sky blue? Is water wet?

47. ubummer says: Mar 31, 2011 2:37 PM

Hollowpoints – the perfect mother’s day gift.

48. hoppes1 says: Mar 31, 2011 2:51 PM

You can take them out of the hood, but you can’t take the hood out of them!

49. jackfnburton says: Mar 31, 2011 2:53 PM

Ah, those ghetto breakups. They never DO happen without the police showing up, or someone bleeding out do they? Oh and good man, Aqib. Let your moms take the fall for you. She brings you into the world, you take her out. Poetry in motion.

50. hendawg21 says: Mar 31, 2011 3:00 PM

You know that’s pretty damn low…I could never see any situation where i’d let my mother take the rap for something I knew I had done as well…this should lose him respect with a lot of folks.

Guess he’s a punk cuz a man would never do that to his mother…yes she’s involved but to let her take the entire rap…

I’m sure there will be plenty of perjury when this goes to trial…

51. karlpilkington says: Mar 31, 2011 3:04 PM

Screw throwing momma from the train, he just threw momma under da bus.

WOW

52. robzar says: Mar 31, 2011 3:05 PM

“This is the story of the Huricane, the man the authorities came to blame”

53. schmitty2 says: Mar 31, 2011 3:20 PM

The sequel to “Dont throw Mama from the Train”…”Don’t throw Mama under the bus”

54. thefiesty1 says: Mar 31, 2011 3:32 PM

Momma Did it! I didn’t do nothin! I’m pure as a baby lamb.

55. hobartbaker says: Mar 31, 2011 3:33 PM

Hey this is just like Cam Newton. Except it was his dad.

56. bigbuc says: Mar 31, 2011 3:40 PM

Just some food for thought:

“Shannon Billings, who is a registered sex offender in Texas, later was taken into custody and charged with aggravated assault with bodily injury and interference with an emergency phone call, relating to an incident at his address earlier in the day.”

Sure changes the story a bit, atleast it does for me. If some guy was beating on my sister, I may have more than words for him.

57. rcali says: Mar 31, 2011 3:43 PM

Maybe the league should focus on the dangers of being an NFL player off the field, not on the field.

58. danetow says: Mar 31, 2011 3:55 PM

Hold on Aquib, let me put my boots on to walk through all the crap spewing from your mouth.

59. henryd3rd says: Mar 31, 2011 4:23 PM

He not only threw her under the bus but; he had the driver back up and run over her again. And mom says, “bless his heart. he can’t help it!

60. sickcuz says: Mar 31, 2011 4:27 PM

Get your thumbs-down clickers ready; because endzonezombie is right!

61. carlgerbschmidt says: Mar 31, 2011 4:44 PM

It’s hard to believe the vikes let this guy slip through in the draft!

62. lawyermalloy says: Mar 31, 2011 4:57 PM

There’s no question in my mind that she’ll take the hit for him,how many son’s does she have making a few mill a year; he’s her meal ticket!

63. tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Mar 31, 2011 5:04 PM

carlgerbschmidt says:
    Mar 31, 2011 4:44 PM
    It’s hard to believe the vikes let this guy slip through in the draft!
    __________________

Clever bit, Carl. Unfortunately, Talib was drafted with the 20th pick in the first round in 2008. The Vikings traded their first-round pick for Jared Allen that year, so they didn’t have the opportunity to pick him. Somehow they let Brian Brohm slip through their fingers, though.

64. carlgerbschmidt says: Mar 31, 2011 5:11 PM

1. tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Mar 31, 2011 5:04 PM
    carlgerbschmidt says:
    Mar 31, 2011 4:44 PM
    It’s hard to believe the vikes let this guy slip through in the draft!
    __________________
    —-
    Whatever, so instead of a guy who throws his mother under the bus, you got a guy who loses his power because he got a haircut! Six of one, half dozen of another, m’boy. How many Super Bowls have you won?

65. tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Mar 31, 2011 5:25 PM

Is it too late to make a “throwing his mother under the bus” comment? Is that still fresh?

66. dirtdawg55 says: Mar 31, 2011 6:47 PM

That top notch lawyer sure has a habit of representing very wealthy athletes who have committed wrongdoing. Allegedly.