College coach says Dez Bryant’s situation “saddens” him

Mike Gundy AP

When we were last paying attention to Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy, he was reminding us that he’s a man.  And that he’s 40.  He said those things because he didn’t like the fact that one of his players had been picked on by a reporter.

This time around, Gundy is picking on one of his former players, sort of.

Speaking to the Tulsa World regarding the storm of lawsuits engulfing receiver Dez Bryant, Gundy said, “It saddens me that [Bryant] is in that situation, and it saddens me that a [former] OSU player is tied in with it and it’s negative.”

It possibly saddens Gundy because it pulls his program into a what-did-they-know-and-when-did-they-know-it conundrum with the NCAA regarding Bryant’s alleged receipt of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry while at Oklahoma State.  And, of course, Gundy’s answers to those time honored questions currently are “nothing” and “never.”

“The first I heard of it was when you guys heard of it [this week],” Gundy said.  “Those issues are very delicate and they’re hard to speak to. . . .  When it hit our office, it was news to everybody on our floor.”

We find that hard to believe.  Guys get flashy jewelry for one reason — so that they can flash it.  We suspect that, when Bryant did, those within the Oklahoma State program quickly looked the other way.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
18 Responses to “College coach says Dez Bryant’s situation “saddens” him”
  1. smarterthantheaveragebearfan says: Apr 1, 2011 8:47 AM

Any football program bankrolled by legendary scammer T Boone Pickens (as this one is) is bound to be ethically challenged.

The only surprise is it hasn’t been exposed before now…

2. berniemadoffsides says: Apr 1, 2011 8:48 AM

Dear Dallas,

Thank you for drafting Dez Bryant.

Love,
    The Giants

3. RussianBreadMaker says: Apr 1, 2011 8:59 AM

Dez Bryant vs Washington in week one wasnt pretty.

4. duanethomas says: Apr 1, 2011 8:59 AM

This deal is going to open up a can of worms, Dez, his adviser David Wells and the jeweler. With the HBO & PBS expose’s on college football players getting paid, the NCAA is mad. Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Ohio State etc…when the NCAA get mad at those schools, they come down hard on the SMU’s and Oklahoma States of the world”…

5. Kave Krew says: Apr 1, 2011 9:09 AM

Tick, tick,tick,tick,tick,tick

Just waiting for the Dez timebomb to go off.

Its gonna get a lot of people when it does.

6. xpensivewinos says: Apr 1, 2011 9:14 AM

As Jeff Ireland brown noses Stephen Ross to try to keep his job, he calls him every five minutes to remind him, “see, I told ya………I told ya he was no good…..look at all the embarrassment I saved you!”

7. jcjets says: Apr 1, 2011 9:17 AM

Is it the coaches job to check out what jewelry the players are wearing off the field? That seems crazy to me.

What if 2 players comes from a rich family, and poor one, are they only supposed to investigate the poor kid? While the rich kid drives around in a BMW..

8. angrycorgi says: Apr 1, 2011 9:24 AM

He then commented “I’m a man…I’m 40!”

9. footballhistorian says: Apr 1, 2011 9:30 AM

He may be saying that he’s saddened – but he’s NOT saying that he’s SURPRISED!!!

10. jimr10 says: Apr 1, 2011 9:36 AM

smarterthantheaveragebearfan–
    \what do you have against T.Boone?

11. CKL says: Apr 1, 2011 9:54 AM

jcjets says: Apr 1, 2011 9:17 AM

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    I would bet a majority of the players’ families would be classified as far from rich. That’s why I sit in wonder watching kids who haven’t been drafted yet and come from struggling families sporting huge ginormous diamond earrings and when asked about their car a decent amount of them have a pretty nice one. They usually have never had A job in their lives-not ever. So where does all that come from? Hmmmm.

12. freddyfelder says: Apr 1, 2011 10:00 AM

I’m a MAN!, I’m 44! about to be 45!

13. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Apr 1, 2011 10:10 AM

We’re all pretty familiar with Dez’s background by now. Dez’s head coach(and other coaches) was surely aware of his background while he was in college. So how did they think he had hundreds of thousands worth of jewelry? Who knows what he wore around the facility or to practice, but a quick google search shows him wearing some pretty big diamond earlings while playing for OSU. If the coaches chose to ignore a player they KNEW didn’t have the means to acquire hudreds of thousands of dollars in jewelry…they might not have “known”, but they knew. As far as I know, intentionaly ignorance is not a valid excuse to the NCAA

14. firethorn1001 says: Apr 1, 2011 10:16 AM

The coach ignored the jewelry, but not sure how he missed the small giraffe.

Dez Bryant: Opulence, he has it.

15. jw731 says: Apr 1, 2011 10:18 AM

I don’t know Mike Gundy from Gumbie…..But the fact he says he was floored by the news rings hollow….Hell, he was suspended for a year, it’s simple economics…College coaches are paid enormous amounts of money, under enormous pressure from boosters and alumni, to act as if he didn’t know is more embarrassing than that weird ass press conference. Face facts coach, you were only “floored” when it could affect your tax status…..

16. tombradyswig says: Apr 1, 2011 10:29 AM

I’m saddened too….
    That a MAN would want to buy 500K worth of JEWERLY!!?!?!?!?!?
    I don’t call him a man at all, but a girl, female, etc….
    NO MAN BUYS 500K WORTH OF FREAKING JEWELS!!!!!!!

17. thefiesty1 says: Apr 1, 2011 10:35 AM

Don’t be sad. You should be jumping for joy that he’s no longer at Okie State.

18. billygoat says: Apr 1, 2011 10:47 AM

I swear it was cubic zirconia