It’s kill the rookie quarterback class day

Bobby Petrino, Ryan Mallett AP

Cam Newton isn’t the only quarterback in this class under the microscope.

A pair of national columns came out Friday vivisecting the top quarterback prospects.  This is a group that inspires a lot of differing opinions.

“All I will say is that I’m glad I don’t need a quarterback this year,” one NFC general manager told Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports.  “If you’re telling me I have to bet the future of my team and my job on one of these guys, I would be really nervous.  It’s tough enough to take a quarterback to begin with.  But then you put these guys in the equation? No, thanks.”

With that comment setting the table, let’s take a tour to find out what others are saying.

One NFC executive on Ryan Mallett, via Albert Breer of NFL.com:  “He’s the best pure passer in the draft, hands down.  He’s Jeff George as a passer, Jim Everett as a person.”  (That’s not a compliment.)

An AFC personnel man on Blaine Gabbert to Cole: “When I look at Gabbert, I think of Ken O’Brien.  That’s the best you’ll probably get, and that’s not good enough if you’re at the top of the draft. Are you really going to build the future of your franchise around that guy? To me, it feels like settling.”

An AFC G.M. on Jake Locker to Cole:  “Generally, if a quarterback isn’t accurate, you cross him off your list. It’s not worth the time.  . . . The only way I’d take Locker is at the end of the second round.”

Breer on Locker: “I’ve heard everything ranging from, ‘He’s not a quarterback’ to ‘You can win with him.””

Your 2011 rookie quarterback class, ladies and gentlemen!

But after three straight solid crops of rookies high in the draft, taking one this year feels more like a boom or bust proposition.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
44 Responses to “It’s kill the rookie quarterback class day”
  1. acerockefellar says: Apr 1, 2011 4:25 PM

good thing you didnt say anything about newton, that would have been racist.

2. mrizzo44 says: Apr 1, 2011 4:30 PM

Did the AFC personnel man really say regarding Gabbart: “Tat’s the best you’ll probably get”?

It’s gotta be Buddy Nix.

3. pdizzle02 says: Apr 1, 2011 4:37 PM

Let’s see if Warren Moon jumps up to defend these quarterbacks like he continues to do with Cam Newton. I bet Mr. Moon won’t make one mention of how “unfair” it is that Ryan Mallet was called “irresponsible, selfish and not a leader” by a G.M. who has probably never spent a significant amount of time around the young man.

4. Kaz says: Apr 1, 2011 4:37 PM

Fine time for my team to need a QB…

5. dukemarc says: Apr 1, 2011 4:39 PM

————————————–

Unfortunately for Redskins fans that was Bruce Allen talking. Rex Grossman full steam ahead!

6. waxthat says: Apr 1, 2011 4:40 PM

Christian Ponder is going to be a successful QB in the NFL. Hope the Niners draft him.

7. ttommytom says: Apr 1, 2011 4:40 PM

Ken O’Brien was one of the if not the most accurate passer of all time. He also took the most sacks. So he’s saying “If you have a great Oline then you will be getting the most accurate passer to come along in 30 years, who can also take a ton of hits and get back up”.

I know O’Brien didn’t kill them with the long ball but many teams could have won with him. Just not the team that drafted him.

I’m not a Jet fan but I’d prefer O’Brien over 20 other starters in this league right now…

8. wryly1 says: Apr 1, 2011 4:45 PM

Way more often than not, the hype and expectations about QB prospects far exceed what they are capable of coming. Today, as much as any time in the past 40 years, there is a real shortage of NFL starting QB’s. Less than one-third of the teams have a really good one – and there’s only 5-6 you could honestly put in the great great category.

9. nesuperfan says: Apr 1, 2011 4:46 PM

I clicked on that link “That’s not a compliment”, and even if Jim Everett is an absolute turd, I thought the little pr1ck had it coming in that video.

10. 504in860 says: Apr 1, 2011 4:48 PM

Forget what they think…what does Mike Mayock think?

11. packerrube13 says: Apr 1, 2011 4:50 PM

I really think Locker/Mallett have a real chance of finding success in the NFL. And also, one of the later round guys in Dalton or Ponder etc will find a decent career. Superstar? Nope.

And Cam will bust, and not because he is black. Look at the game film and look at his character. Bad combination. (Doesn’t look past first read, raw, riding the potential train, and inaccurate)

12. southridge23 says: Apr 1, 2011 4:58 PM

“Now we know that it only takes one team to fall in love and there are widely divergent views on this class.”

===============

and that team will be the Buffalo Bills…when you need a laugher, count on the bills to come through

13. 504in860 says: Apr 1, 2011 4:59 PM

You can also look at Mallett’s game film and character…bad combination.

14. Fantasy Football says: Apr 1, 2011 5:03 PM

I think this QB draft class is just missing that top blue chip guy. Andrew Luck would have changed this draft completely. Everyone is picking apart this years group of QB’s because no one is deserving of going first overall.
    Break the trend Carolina, draft Patrick Peterson.

15. emperor83 says: Apr 1, 2011 5:04 PM

Newton gets defended and the rest don’t. What’s that called, class? RACISM lol

16. nufan3303 says: Apr 1, 2011 5:06 PM

I knew the youtube link would be to the “Chris” Everett video. I really know nothing about Jim Everett other than that interview, but Jim Rome deserved a savage beating.

17. newerascouting says: Apr 1, 2011 5:11 PM

The title and entire article are fairly misrepresenting.

You mention three quarterbacks out of 20 who will potentially be drafted.

I would take Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton and/or Colin Kaepernick over Gabbert, Locker and Mallett.

While the top of this class may have huge question marks, the 2nd tier guys are all very, very solid.

18. nyjalleffingday says: Apr 1, 2011 5:13 PM

Yeah, ttommytom had it right.

Ken O’B wasn’t bad in his own right, he just wasn’t Dan Marino, they guy the Jets passed on to get OB.

*sigh*

19. lowleadman says: Apr 1, 2011 5:17 PM

What do these guys know? What does anyobdy really know how draft picks will turn out? You can draft a J Russell or Ryan Leaf with the top pick, and you can also pass on Joe Montana until the third round and Tom Brady until the sixth. You can never be absolutely sure on any draft pick. Too many variables.

20. Warren Moon says: Apr 1, 2011 5:25 PM

The title of this article could be considered both a threat and harrasment… but I like it cause it’s not racist

21. bradwins says: Apr 1, 2011 5:25 PM

I’m a little confused about how that clip you linked to that showed Jim Everett give Jim Rome what he had coming to him reflects poorly on Everett. I really never knew anything about the guy, but I like him after seeing that. I actually give him some credit for not bludgeoning Rome’s face. That guy has to be the biggest tool there is.

22. mantei says: Apr 1, 2011 5:38 PM

It’s looking better for Kaepernick by the day…

23. whodeyben says: Apr 1, 2011 5:38 PM

Good thing they didn’t say Chris Everett.

24. coreydavidschmitz says: Apr 1, 2011 5:46 PM

Who cares what a series of anonymous personnel folks say? A huge percentage of them are lying, everyone knows that’s how the game is played but these sketchily sources quotes are repeated over and over again. Relax, and go watch some freaking baseball people.

25. machiavell says: Apr 1, 2011 5:46 PM

You guys make it sound like the sky is falling for every draft class when it comes to quarterbacks

Hell I can’t remember the last time anyone said there is a quarterback worthy of being taken with the first overall pick, if chad pennington can play in this league, id hope someone could possibly develop blaine gabbert to atleast be on par with him

26. joshuavkidd says: Apr 1, 2011 5:47 PM

somewhere Andy Reid and Kevin Kolb are smiling…

27. PFT can S my D says: Apr 1, 2011 5:49 PM

That video made me dispise Jim Rome even more

28. snnyjcbs says: Apr 1, 2011 5:56 PM

Lets be honest, what does any of these guys really know about projecting how a QB coming from College will play in the NFL.

Look at Montana, Brady, Rodgers and so many others that were not even on these so called experts screens. Now look at all the Hero’s we were told some of these guys would be like Harrington, Leaf, Carr and on and on I could go.

Tell it like it is, do your homework and then roll the Dice. Once they make the big time like Brady you can say we knew it all the time lol

29. azcardinal32 says: Apr 1, 2011 5:59 PM

How about Colin Kaepernick.. He’ll be the best one in this class

30. jhorton83 says: Apr 1, 2011 6:08 PM

That AFC GM is right about Locker.

31. canjura says: Apr 1, 2011 6:10 PM

These guys don’t know what they’re talking about, they’re just racist. Racism is running so rampant even in 2011 and it’s a shame. And, unless you’ve been a white QB in the league, you’ll never know what it’s like.

32. cdwains says: Apr 1, 2011 6:23 PM

If I needed a QB this year I would take the one that could be my back up for the next 4-5 years in the second or 3rd round. I would then play that guy all year to get some experience under his belt, and the after going 0-16 in 2011 I would promptly draft “The Next John Elway” in Andrew Luck. I am hoping my hopeless Bengals will follow my plan, but they will screw it up some how.

33. truthserum4u says: Apr 1, 2011 6:29 PM

Over drafting a player can kill a team. Over drafting a QB can destroy a team. All relative in terms of years of course.

I keep hearing how Ponder is approaching the first round (despite his injury history) and how Dalton is projeting to the second round (despite grading out as a 4th round talent). This is nuts! You have to “find” your QB of the future, not “force” it.

I would disagree though with the assessment that less than one-third of the league have a really good QB, and that now is one of the lower points in the last 40 years (do agree with the 5-6 in the great great catagory). Depending on how you grade them, there are about 14 QBs ranging from really good to great; another 4 with potential and 3 that are servicable. Take a look at history and you’ll see few years have it any better than that and most years are worse. That’s just the nature of the beast when it comes to QBs; there aren’t a lot of great ones and that’s why they’re paid on a different scale when you find one that is.

34. dewalt2990 says: Apr 1, 2011 6:39 PM

At least one of these guys will do something with their careers. Its science.

35. goldrush36 says: Apr 1, 2011 7:14 PM

Andrew Luck the next John Elway? That’s kind of like a double edged sword considering Elway was nothing until Terell Davis came along. Him and Sharpe made Elway look a lot better then he really was. He had a career rating under 80…. so are you saying he will be Elway as in a HOF QB, or Elway who was just average without the help of two outstanding players?

36. cdwains says: Apr 1, 2011 7:25 PM

Gold Rush, I am not saying he is or isn’t but that is what the draftniks like to say about him.

37. phinfan says: Apr 1, 2011 7:40 PM

Allot of crap is being said about Mallett to the point I think… either some teams are really bashing on him to lower his stock. To the point where I feel bad for the guy for all this stuff below the belt, that I HAVE to root for him to kick major *ss in the nfl. And I feel… he will too.

38. thefiesty1 says: Apr 1, 2011 7:55 PM

This is from a GM that really news a QB badly and just doesn’t realize it. There are a few GM’s out there that don’t have a clue what their team needs. And, it doesn’t matter who they draft. They will still field a loser.

39. hobartbaker says: Apr 1, 2011 8:08 PM

Nice that PFT is supplying the mirror to reflect all the smoke being blown out there.

40. henryjones20 says: Apr 1, 2011 8:12 PM

why no anger towards mallett from all you haters of cam newton? cam wants 2 be a icon ryan just wants some drugs. no hate toward him? hmmm. lmao!!

41. vicksprman says: Apr 1, 2011 8:16 PM

Nobody know what any of these guys will do, but I must comment on Mallett, I don’t care how good his arm is unless he gets max protected he will get killed in the NFL literally he is a human statue in the pocket.

42. dp311 says: Apr 1, 2011 8:39 PM

You guys are hilarious! Jim Everett is one of the most prolific passers in NFL history! It’s funny, and a little sad, tat all you know about him is that he agreed to boost Jim Rome’s sad ratings.

Check the numbers- they don’t lie…

43. tatum064 says: Apr 1, 2011 11:21 PM

how cool would it be to see Newton, Mallet, Gabbert and Kapernick be the four best quarterbacks selected in the last ten years.

Newton – Donavan McNabb
    Mallet – Dan Marino
    Gabbert – Troy Aikman
    Kapernick – Michael Vick

meaning – Newton will put his team in the playoffs PERENNIALLY

Mallet – will probably put up record numbers, primarily due to his absolute defiance and with a coaching staff that gets the best out of him.

Gabbert ^ probably will need a running game and a system, but will also fuel a team back into contention.

Kaepernick – will need a team to take a chance and is likely to be a “work in progress”

Im really hoping ALL of them prove the media wrong, especially Newton. Nothing like a “how you like me now?” “Now say something” moment when people doubt you.

at the end of the day, its what these guys bring to the field.

44. tryagainplease says: Apr 2, 2011 4:08 AM

”And finally, a G.M. on Mallet via Cole: “I would never take him. Never. He’s irresponsible, selfish and not a leader.”’

i just hope one of these days the mystery of all these negatives on him is revealed. commenter above says he’s a statue, that’s a legit comment so i get that type of qualm but seriously he got a public intox a couple of years back– what is with all the so called personal negatives on him that flew virtually out of nowhere. i understand there’s a lot of money involved so proceed with caution but the drug whispers have totally screwed him over somehow now he’s even become irresponsible and selfish….