Father of Jason Avant killed in car crash

Wild Card Playoffs - Green Bay Packers v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

Jerry Avant, the 51-year-old father of Eagles wide receiver Jason Avant, was killed Thursday in a car accident in South Jersey.

Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com passes along the word that Jerry Avant lost control of his car on a wet roadway.   A passenger with him was taken to a nearby hospital without life threatening injuries.   The Eagles released a statement on the tragic news Saturday night.

The Philadelphia Eagles are deeply saddened to learn of Jerry Avant’s passing today.  Our thoughts and prayers are with Jason, Stacy, and the entire Avant family.”

Jason Avant was voted by his teammates as the Ed Block Courage Award winner last year and is one of the most well-liked players in the organization.   We send our condolences to Jason and his entire family.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
26 Responses to “Father of Jason Avant killed in car crash”
  1. egls7 says: Apr 2, 2011 8:11 PM

RIP Jerry Avant. Stay strong jason you are a great guy

2. ndgarretjax says: Apr 2, 2011 8:12 PM

RIP. thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family!!!

3. iced107 says: Apr 2, 2011 8:21 PM

tragic… thoughts and prayers out to the avant family

4. o0omorriso0o says: Apr 2, 2011 8:27 PM

Funny how something so sad gets no comments. Yet if this was about Vick or something else there would be tons of bashers cause as horrible as it is, its the truth that our world has gone insane and must bash everything (cant even put a video on youtunbe without difference of opinion and bashers).

Avant your a stand up guys, very strong in your faith in the lord. I am sure your dad is proud of everything you have become both as a football player and as a man. Our prayers are with you and your family!!!

5. Deb says: Apr 2, 2011 8:37 PM

Deep condolences to the Avant family on this tragedy. God bless.

6. mvpolamalu says: Apr 2, 2011 9:53 PM

@o0omorriso0o it did get comments, they just weren’t posted yet idiot

AndRIP mr avant. You should be very proud of your son

7. iknowfootballandyoudont says: Apr 2, 2011 9:55 PM

My thoughts and sympathies are extended to the Avant circle of family and friends.

8. Rhode Island Patriots Fan says: Apr 2, 2011 10:21 PM

There are few posters on this thread because words are inadequate in these cases. Yet, the relative silence speaks volumes. Again, we’re humbled by the reality that life is precious and much too short. Don’t look for any disagreement within PFT Planet on this one.

9. macjacmccoy says: Apr 2, 2011 10:23 PM

Say a blessing. Sorry about your dad Avant.

10. flyerscup2010 says: Apr 2, 2011 10:35 PM

Jason Avant’s one of the truly good guys in the NFL who doesn’t get much publicity for it because people/the media focus on negativity so much. Many sports figures mention God and Jesus and make prayer-related motions during games and it doesn’t seem totally genuine. With Avant, you know that he means it and he lives it. And I say that as a person who isn’t extremely religious, but admires the fact that he is genuine. This is really sad to hear.

11. qj1984 says: Apr 2, 2011 10:39 PM

My prayers are with Avant and his family.

It sucks that the only way the Eagles and his coaches can express their condolences to him is through the media because of the lockout. I wonder if DeSmith will bother to give him a call.

12. terrellblowens says: Apr 2, 2011 10:41 PM

Poor guy. Avant is one of the hardest working and most under-appreciated guys on the Eagles and he has a great attitude. Sucks to have a thing like this happen to him and his family. RIP

P.S.- why in the world is someone giving thumbs down to these comments offering condolences? Unbelievable

13. canadianvikingfaniii says: Apr 2, 2011 10:56 PM

terrellblowens says:
    Apr 2, 2011 10:41 PM

————————–
    I sometimes lose faith in humanity because of people like that..

14. johnnyshore says: Apr 2, 2011 11:54 PM

RIP, not an Eagles fan but that doesn’t matter in a situation like this. I don’t understand how there can be any down votes on this topic. Keep your head up Jason.

15. pmad1 says: Apr 3, 2011 12:00 AM

sorry for the loss! cant even imagine!
    as a person you over came street gangs & drugs and person I have my kids want to be! my prayers are with you! my familys favorite eagle!

16. whatevnfl says: Apr 3, 2011 12:52 AM

That is such tragic news. So sorry to hear of this loss.

17. famucancer says: Apr 3, 2011 7:45 AM

RIP Mr. Avant

qj1984, that was so inappropriate.

18. vetdana says: Apr 3, 2011 8:03 AM

It is hard to believe that when a tradgedy such as this is mentioned, and comments are made that wish for condolences and best wishes for the family, that so many people vote thumbs down !! I know for a fact that you would NOT feel this way if it happens to you and your family.

19. jw731 says: Apr 3, 2011 8:58 AM

@johnnyshore
    ————————————–
    Well said….I think PFT should disable the comment ratings on stories such as this. People are here offering prayers and condolences in the wake of a tragedy. I don’t care if Avant was the biggest turd, or the class act he is, his pop was killed in a horrible accident, and people just want to try an offer a lending hand thru their words. How anyone can have a negative reaction to human nature mystifies me…..

20. robsterny says: Apr 3, 2011 9:24 AM

Jason,I understand the grief you now feel having lost you father. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time. Jason your a stand up guy, and a perfect example of what a true teammate should be. Take some comfort in the fact that your dad left this world knowing what a strong and honorable young man you have become. Always know Jason that you dad can be with you in ways never possible while in this physical body.
    Keep being exactly who you are,there is no better way to honor your dads memory. God bless.

21. alanboy395 says: Apr 3, 2011 9:48 AM

I’m so sorry for Jason’s loss. I lost my father to a horrid illness two months ago and I think about him every day. From everything I hear about Jason he is a good solid guy who will carry on. Say what you want about the Eagles, but at the end of the day life gets in the way of football sometimes. God bless Jason and his family.

22. sufferingbirdsfan says: Apr 3, 2011 10:03 AM

Very sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers to the Avant family.

23. oldbyrd says: Apr 3, 2011 12:01 PM

Forget football for a moment. A true gentleman has lost his dad. Be strong Jason!!!

24. hoobsher says: Apr 3, 2011 12:09 PM

RIP mr avant sr…jason avant is an amazing human being, i feel for him.

where are the people saying philadelphia is trash now?

25. o0omorriso0o says: Apr 3, 2011 12:41 PM

@ mvpolamalu

Your post calling me an “idiot” proves my point…lol Thank you. Kind of sad on a topic like this though don’t you think. Keep your head up Avant, your dad is very proud!!!

26. gamingphenom says: Apr 3, 2011 2:47 PM

I send my condolences to Avant and his family.