Strahan bangs the drum for Burress, Barber

plaxburress1 Getty Images

Former Giants defensive end Michael Strahan is speaking publicly on behalf of a couple of his old teammates who want to return to the NFL after a long layoff, saying both Plaxico Burress and Tiki Barber will be valuable assets to an NFL team this season.

In an appearance on PFT Live last month, Strahan said the Giants bringing Burress back is a no-brainer. This week Strahan was asked by the New York Post what he’d do if he were running the Giants when Burress gets out of prison. Strahan answered: “If he got out at 4 o’clock, he’d be a Giant by 4:05.”

Burress is expected to be released in June, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has already said Burress will be reinstated to the league as soon as he’s a free man. The lockout may still be going on when Burress gets out, so he might not actually sign with a team as soon as he’s released, but Strahan thinks any team would be wise to take Burress.

“Plaxico’s not a bad guy,” Strahan said. “He just made a bad decision, a dumb decision which cost him two years. I think he’ll be back, hopefully with the Giants. But whoever gets him, he’ll be an asset.”

And although Strahan and Barber didn’t always see eye to eye when they were teammates, Strahan now says he believes Barber can return in 2011, at the age of 36 — and for more than just one year.

“He wasn’t on the decline when he retired,” Strahan said. “He’s a worker who will bust his butt. I think he can do it. I think he has a few years left in him.”

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Strahan bangs the drum for Burress, Barber”
  1. PFT can S my D says: Apr 2, 2011 6:39 PM

I think the NFL should make an expansion team for all the old guys to go play for. Seriously what is this alumni football time?

2. northeastern31 says: Apr 2, 2011 7:01 PM

Plaxico has done his time and I bet most of the time while locked up; he was thinking about how to better himself and how he would play if given another chance. Look at how focused Vick was and is. And he was a slacker!!!!! Not a Super Bowl winning WR.

Not saying they are the same…just saying that he is worth the risk. From what I hear prison is tough on the mind……It takes alot to survive it.

I wouldnt mind if my team picked him up thats for sure!

3. duanethomas says: Apr 2, 2011 7:04 PM

Why not L.T. he needs money also?

4. bucks12965 says: Apr 2, 2011 7:31 PM

Goodell is a clown. Why isn’t Plax being suspended after his prison term, when Vick was? Maybe he heard Vick didn’t sign some jerseys.

5. irchs1963 says: Apr 2, 2011 7:33 PM

I liked Strahan when he was playing and appreciate his expertise as an analyst for FOX but do not agree with his opinion in reference to Burress and especially about the “back-stabbing-‘fumbler’” Barber….besides I do not think Coughlin would want to have to deal with Barber as the same disruptive force in the locker room as he had to contend with before !!

6. iknowfootballandyoudont says: Apr 2, 2011 7:37 PM

Hmmmm, two more “class act” players to discuss. Boy Deb is gonna be riled up again at me. LMAO!

Sure Mr. Strahan, stand up for Mr Burress, ya know the guy who shot himself in the leg in a busy nightclub, and easily could have shot an innocent bystander also. The same guy who also thinks he should pay his bills. Yea, he seems like a great guy.
    Then we have Mr. Barber, he who hath a head bigger than his whole body. The guy who leaves his pregnant wife who is carrying twins. He who bashes his teammates as soon as he is no longer on the team.

Typical NFL players, displaying typical player behavior. And now I’m sure I will get a typical retort from the players mouthpiece, defending these two clowns like she defends every player.
    But I do appreciate the fact that I and my comments are the the highlight of the day.
    Not much of a debater and lacks depth, but I bet she would make a damn fine lil cheerleader.

7. terrellochouno says: Apr 2, 2011 7:40 PM

Well, with all the top-notch football programs in today’s prisons, it doesn’t shock me that Plaxico Burress would be ready to roll the minute he gets out.

8. thefiesty1 says: Apr 2, 2011 7:58 PM

The Giants have good receivers in Manningham and Smith. They don’t need Plaxico and Barber is over the hill. Strahan needs to stick with being an analyst rather than opinions of what his former team should do.

9. iced107 says: Apr 2, 2011 8:02 PM

————————————————-

Probably because Vick slaughtered tons of innocent animals and gambled on their lives with money…

Plaxico shot himself in the thigh with a gun that had been previously registered in his name in a different state..

do everyone a favor – don’t reproduce.

10. fonetiklee says: Apr 2, 2011 8:28 PM

Signing Tiki would be stupid for any team at this point.

It’s tough to say with Plaxico at this point, though. Does he still have the goods? Has he made any plans for actually changing his lifestyle after his release? If the answer to both of those is “yes,” then he could wind up being a good low-risk, high-reward pickup for somebody.

11. iknowfootballandyoudont says: Apr 2, 2011 8:33 PM

Pants on the ground. Shooting holes through their pants. Mama shooting at homies.

Lil Miss Deb Dub will say I have obsessive hatred and am bigoted towards players. The reality is the players have been spoiled since grade school and now they have no sense of accountability And it’s because of people like her. Always defending uncivilized actions and making excuses for assine bhavior is exactly why these ungrateful, disrespectful players act the way they do.
    Stop being the Mama that think her precious angels could never do wrong. Stop enabling these clowns. Stop defending poor decisions and actions. Stop making excuses for them.
    THEY DO THAT WELL ENOUGH ON THEIR OWN!

I’m flattered you hold onto each and every word of mine, And are obsessive enough to search for all of my posts. But it’s getting a little disturbing sweetums.
    Let the men handle the real issues, and just be a good lil cheerleader from now on, ok?

12. zn0rseman says: Apr 2, 2011 9:02 PM

Everytime I hear about Burress, I get upset. The guy lost two years of his life for essentially nothing. He did double the time Vick did and there was absolutely no criminal intent on his part, while the many terrible things Vick has done range from criminal to monstrous.

Where is the justice?

13. raynman49 says: Apr 2, 2011 9:04 PM

You’ve gotta be kidding me! Conehead! Bonehead.

14. bluefan204 says: Apr 2, 2011 10:25 PM

As a Giant fan:

Burress: Yes, most definitely. He had GREAT timing with Eli. The guy made a horribly stupid mistake and paid for it. Fortunately, the only one hurt in all of it was himself.

Barber: Hell no. Even if all RB’s went down with injuries, I wouldn’t want Tiki back in blue. He burned every possible bridge that ever existed, and showed no remorse while doing so. F him and his comeback. One of my favorite players while in NY, but I have no love for the guy anymore.

15. bluefan204 says: Apr 2, 2011 10:28 PM

zn0rseman says: Apr 2, 2011 9:02 PM

—-

16. dewalt2990 says: Apr 2, 2011 10:31 PM

Strahan just wants him for his fantasy football team.

17. rayjayjohnsonjr says: Apr 2, 2011 11:36 PM

Strahan, just get your gap-teeth fixed so you don’t spit on Howie and Jimmy anymore and leave the hiring of the misfits and convicts to others.

18. gpete1962 says: Apr 3, 2011 12:21 AM

Bloomberg is an A$$ Hole, he’s the who pushed for Plax’s sentence and has sympathy for the mosque lovers at ground zero…..

Bloomberg and Tiki are both ZERO’S !!!!

19. andyreidisfat says: Apr 3, 2011 1:40 AM

This is not in defense of Vick …. but

“Couldn’t have said it any better! Vick intentionally murdered living things and did less time than a repeat DUI offender.”

Said by someone who never moves at all because you know when you step on the ground you are killing microorganisms (witch is terrible to me because i love them and keep them as pets) and then you know basiclly anything you eat is “killing a living thing”. Oh ? whats that ? you killing to eat you say ? ok good point … do you or have ever worn leather ?? because thats “killing a living thing” for style …. Ok but thats for clothes and you need clothes right ?? ok good point, but wait …. what about that hunting trip with your father ?? you know the one where you shot bambi in the head with a gun when all it was doing was frolicking in the woods with its family, Then you hung its head on your wall. hmm

The point being I think that most of the people in THIS country would agree they don’t like what Vick did and it is against the law and thats fine. But for all the people who are going around acting like he is some kind of monster, should take a step back and look around. By your standards almost everyone in the country is a monster. People do have different cultures, while we may not like it and we in THIS CULTURE can agree to make it illegal i don’t think we should call people monsters unless were gonna do it across the board not just for the stuff we agree with.

Now to the point, if anyone signs that jackass Barber they are morons period.

As for Plax he was always a marginal WR with great redzone abilities. As long as he stayed in decent shape i think he can still play that same role. He was never really a number 1 guy anyway. I think he could help a team who needs a tall guy who can make plays in the endzone on jump balls. I think the giants though would be better off keeping the guys they have but a team like Washington could use a good tall WR.

20. wiscnsnpatfan says: Apr 3, 2011 2:56 AM

Burress? Sign a one year minimum$ contract that’s loaded with performance incentives and go from there.

Barber? Spend all your new found free time looking for “girlfriends” on craigslist and faaaaade into obscurity.

21. bleedgreen08052 says: Apr 3, 2011 8:03 AM

Some people on here blow my mind. They comment on these guys like they come as a package.

Plax can still make an impact. As an Eagles fan I think we could use his presence in the redzone. On that note so could a lot of teams.

Tiki Tiki Tiki. YOUR CAREER IS OVER!!!! Not only are you done as a superior athlete, you trashed your team. No one even wants you as a role player. He must think he only made an impression on The Giants.

22. vetdana says: Apr 3, 2011 8:36 AM

The guy lost two years of his life for essentially nothing.

Since when is accidently discharging a firearm in a crowded place……NOTHING ? he must have known very little about firearms safety,[I would not want him in my fox hole], should not have had the gun in a public place ,and COULD HAVE KILLED an innocent bystander !! If that is nothing, than please define something !!

23. luciano26 says: Apr 3, 2011 9:46 AM

Plax has never been accused of being a rocket physicist but I agree with Strahan that he isnt a bad person. He just makes a lot of stupid decisions. Hopefully this jail sentence taught him something, hopefully he does get another chance somewhere. I hope Tiki doesnt get another shot, he is a quitter.

24. alanboy395 says: Apr 3, 2011 9:59 AM

I think Burress will have much more interest than Barber. Tall receivers are in demand in the NFL and Burress has less PR baggage than Barber. Tiki, no way. 34 years old out for 4 years. His affair and divorce from his wife. No team is taking all that on.

25. melonnhead says: Apr 3, 2011 10:50 AM

—————————————————–

26. cantgetenoughwp says: Apr 4, 2011 6:57 AM

melonnhead says: Apr 3, 2011 10:50 AM

“You forgot the “in a Manhattan club” part. And then you forgot about the entire coverup attempt afterward.”

And you forgot that the day before fellow WR Steve Smith was rubbed at gunpoint in his GATED community. Not excusing Plax, but he had reason to protect himself. He should have gone with one of the team arranged (and legal) protection methods that were available. Or at least wore jeans instead of sweatpants!