Mallett falls into the Clausen trap

Jimmy Clausen, Kroy Biermann AP

Last year, former Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen responded to criticism of his leadership skills by breaking out talking points that included Clausen referring to himself (more than once) as a “loving, caring person.”

Former Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett’s decision, as explained earlier today by Silva, to refer to himself as a “great kid and great person” means that Mallett has tripped into a similar trap of gratuitous self-promotion.

Though not quite as lame as applying to oneself the label of “loving” and/or “caring,” no one should refer to themselves as “great” in any way, if they want to truly be viewed that way.

Really, how many truly “great guys” have ever referred to themselves as “great guys”?

When we think of the next one, we will have thought of the first one.

That said, we need to remember that all of these guys are kids thrust into an adult world, prone to saying ill-advised things.  That said, kids who think way too much of themselves very often become adults who think way too much of themselves, too.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Mallett falls into the Clausen trap”
  1. tonydehoff says: Apr 3, 2011 5:24 PM

Mallett can throw the rock a little better than Clausen though…

2. canadianvikingfaniii says: Apr 3, 2011 5:28 PM

He should have played the humble card. Even if you truly are a great guy, you never mention it. It’s just how society plays its games.

3. profootballwalk says: Apr 3, 2011 5:32 PM

These guys are “kids?” We have “kids” younger than them getting killed in Afghanistan right now. They’re old enough to be working and raising a family – I think they’re old enough to speak for themselves.

4. mhs8031 says: Apr 3, 2011 5:33 PM

How often are great guys scrutinized to the point where they have to tell people what kind of person they are?

5. alleycatzz says: Apr 3, 2011 5:33 PM

Would that be the trap that all of you guys looking to sell some copy have created for him? Give me a break. If you’re going to slander someone’s character from behind your little blog – at least publish the evidence that this guy really is a turd – which, as far as we know, has yet to exist.

6. soundevent9889 says: Apr 3, 2011 5:33 PM

And he can smoke it better too, tonydehoff….

7. bingocostello says: Apr 3, 2011 5:35 PM

Hey Genius where does Newton fall 10-15 at Levinworth?

8. chhutson27 says: Apr 3, 2011 5:35 PM

I’m not sure how anyone can “thumbs down” a comment saying Mallet can throw the ball better than Clausen. Watching Clausen play football at Carolina or Notre Dame vs. watching Mallet at Arkansas shows that.

9. ttommytom says: Apr 3, 2011 5:37 PM

Forgetting the adjective “great” …what kid (young adult) calls themselves “a kid”? Anyone?

Someone told him to say he was a great kid thus he repeated it. Very odd.

10. raynman49 says: Apr 3, 2011 5:37 PM

Ryan Leaf. ‘nuf said.

11. chrisritch93 says: Apr 3, 2011 5:38 PM

That said, kids who think way too much of themselves very often become adults who think way too much of themselves, too…..Is this what happened to you Mike ?

12. tv426 says: Apr 3, 2011 5:44 PM

Maybe his coach at Ark should speak about his outstanding character…..oh, wait, nevermind.

13. suicidalionsfan says: Apr 3, 2011 5:46 PM

Muhammad Ali is the only ” great ” guy who ever backed up his talk

14. hobartbaker says: Apr 3, 2011 5:51 PM

Contrary to the rumors floating around here, I am a subtle and sensitive guy.

15. acerockefellar says: Apr 3, 2011 6:01 PM

must be a slow news day

16. tjacks7 says: Apr 3, 2011 6:02 PM

He may be a crappy person but he can sure as hell chuck the pigskin.

17. bucks12965 says: Apr 3, 2011 6:02 PM

I’ve always felt that way about The Great Smokey Mountains.

18. peester15 says: Apr 3, 2011 6:03 PM

Not a Clausen fan..but is it fair to judge him on a horrible Panthers year? Injured O-Line, poor receivers (yes, even including Me Smith) and DeAngelo Williams out half the year?

19. whatswiththehate says: Apr 3, 2011 6:09 PM

This write-up is as pathetic as the over analyzation of Cam’s entertainer/icon comment.

Way to much time on your hands there.

20. 1historian says: Apr 3, 2011 6:44 PM

I am an insensitive lout and proud of it.
    I start every day by finding some baby ducks and crushing their heads.
    I then go find some kittens and drown them.
    Then I have breakfast.

Mike: “kids who think way too much of themselves very often become adults who think way too much of themselves too.”

Mike 0- I know you have to come up with a certain amount of copy every day and sometimes your stuff is good and sometimes – like today – it’s pretty bad, especially when you have to make up a column on such a thin thread, so as an older and wiser person (but still an insensitive lout!) Imagonna give you some free advice – Stop talking about yourself, Mike – it doesn’t become you.

21. rovibe says: Apr 3, 2011 6:47 PM

tonydehoff says: “Mallett can throw the rock a little better than Clausen though…”

————————–

I’ve heard he can smoke the rock a little better, too.

22. tncm333 says: Apr 3, 2011 6:48 PM

“That said, we need to remember that all of these guys are kids thrust into an adult world…”

No wonder these GUYS struggle to take responsibility for themselves so often. You have GUYS coming into the league at 22/23 being referred to as “kids”. Half the the time, during their first few years in the NFL as well. Give a guy his first year in college to be a “kid” then it’s time to hold them accountable as adults.

23. tncm333 says: Apr 3, 2011 6:49 PM

Mallett fan BTW. He’s going to be a quality starter in this league, just watch. He’ll be better than Flacco out of the gate likely.

24. iced107 says: Apr 3, 2011 6:55 PM

Holy crap.

Talk about stretching something to ‘nth degree..

Jesus.. Have you never said someone was a “Great person” or a “great kid?” I know I personally have heard tons of coaches say that about their players..

are you going to analyze everyone of their quotes too?

25. wilburmills says: Apr 3, 2011 7:00 PM

of all the lame negative articles this site has put out there about Mallet this is the lamest….the kid can’t win, he is accused over and over and over again of vague character issues by unnamed sources…. the media at the combine and now after a private visit continually ask him about his character issues,,,he is criticized no matter what he says (remember the dust-up at the combine when he was accused of non-answers when he denied over and over again he had character issues))…now when he tries to say look I am not a bad character guy, he gets blasted again

please tell me what is supposed to say? he can’t win…. guess he must confess yes I really am a bad bad man like PFT says, it sure would be a mistake to draft someone like me

26. thefiesty1 says: Apr 3, 2011 7:02 PM

Just look at the video of last years’ Sugar Bowl game. His performance should tell you what your getting. He couldn’t beat a team with 5 ineligible players and a lying coach.

27. punkmonkeyfaces says: Apr 3, 2011 7:18 PM

That’s where I went wrong on my resume

28. ernieernie says: Apr 3, 2011 7:30 PM

Guys like Mallet forget about the old cliche about burning bridges behind you.

These evaluators are top notch. They don’t miss a hair out of place. If I figured out Mallet bailed on Michigan because it was a me me me decision rather than staying there and playing out his hand, these people understand that and question character. He made his bed a while ago and I think it will costs him now.

I don’t know its just about character and that never changes.

29. tryagainplease says: Apr 3, 2011 7:44 PM

So ernie now if players transfer they lack character? Well that certainly makes a heck of a lot of sense – about as much as your last sentence.

30. zoxitic says: Apr 3, 2011 8:10 PM

Uncorrected personality traits that seem whimsical in a child may prove to be ugly in a fully grown adult.

31. johnnycash19 says: Apr 3, 2011 8:11 PM

Cam Newton says he’s great and if Cam Newton says he’s great I have to believe its true, otherwise I’m a racist.

32. johnnycash19 says: Apr 3, 2011 8:15 PM

ernieernie says: Apr 3, 2011 7:30 PM

—————

Hmm either stay at Michigan with Rich Rod and ruin your draft stock- Donovan Warren (He was considered a fringe 1st round pick before the season, he ended up not getting drafted at all.)

OR

Transfer to a school that runs a more QB friendly system and possibly get drafted in the 1st round.

Yeah, I would have stayed at Michigan too.

33. terrellblowens says: Apr 3, 2011 8:33 PM

@ernieernie

Mallett transferred when Rich Rodriguez was hired because he didn’t fit the spread option offense. I strongly dislike Ryan Mallett but transferring made a lot of sense for him. You think a guy with as bad of a 40 time as Mallett would be running around like Pat White or Denard Robinson? He had a choice between transferring to a more pro-style offense or being a career backup at Michigan. So your comment makes no sense

34. burntorangehorn says: Apr 3, 2011 8:37 PM

It’s so much worse to refer to himself as a good kid than it was for Mark Sanchez to shill for a mobile phone provider every five seconds in every single interview.

35. burntorangehorn says: Apr 3, 2011 8:37 PM

36. PFT can S my D says: Apr 3, 2011 9:42 PM

And with the first pick in the draft the Carolina Panthers select…. Ryan Mallet, Quarterback, Arkansas

37. jebdamone says: Apr 3, 2011 10:09 PM

if mallet goes to the right team i think he can be a very good QB. his footwork because of his height is a challenge but if he can get that down i think he can win big time in the NFL. his character is not a concern to me thus far from what i have read and seen in interviews of him, he just needs the right guidance and discipline from a team and he needs to learn what to say when the cameras are rolling.

38. polishkingski says: Apr 3, 2011 10:27 PM

alot of pubs had mallett going to the bills in last yrs mock drafts so i as a bills fan read and watched lots of material on him. my personnal feeling is if he went to a team with an offence like the steelers play he could be very good once he settles in. on a team like the bills that are going to ask much from there qb if for no other reason than a team wide lack of talent his heads gonna spin and he will suck. just saying.

39. Canyonero says: Apr 3, 2011 10:43 PM

Wouldn’t it be great to take today’s hyper 24-hour media back in time to NFL drafts of 20 or 30 years ago?

THAT should be a NFL Network “Top 10″ show.

40. sasquash69 says: Apr 4, 2011 2:48 AM

@Suicidalionsfan

Ali is a trader to the country who hid behind his lame ass religion. Go feed that BS somewhere else. Hero who had no guts or balls what so ever. Hes a punk plain and simple. I’m going to get ripped for this but I don’t care. God bless the USA, and the men and women who protect our rights with there lives.

41. mannyicey says: Apr 4, 2011 9:17 AM

I personally think that Mallett is going to be a good NFL quarterback. I think the off-the-field stuff is over-blown and I think that he’s righted the ship.

Here’s what I think will happen: He’s going to go to Cincinnati (Blaine Gabbert is someone that I don’t believe in.) I think he’s going to start. I think he’s going to make good and even great throws.

He’s going to make rookie mistakes and get sacked and picked off as he adjusts; but in the end, he’s going to be OK.

He can make every pass, he has good footwork and he can can read defenses. His release is quick, he’s 6’6″ and he can literally pass OVER defenses.

By Week 6, he’ll be a vet.