Ryan Mallett visits Bengals, insists he’s a “great person”

Allstate Sugar Bowl - Ohio State v Arkansas Getty Images

Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett wrapped up an official pre-draft visit with the Bengals on Friday, and Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer caught up with the Razorbacks’ all-time passing leader on Saturday night.

A lightning rod for criticism for his off- and on-field persona, Mallett insisted to Reedy that concerns about his character are overblown.

“There been times when I have not come off the best way,” conceded Mallett. “At the Combine I was listening to what the moderator said and that was the last question. I didn’t storm out like some people said.

“Once people get to know me, they will find out what a great kid and great person I am.”

The Bengals, who would presumably consider Mallett with the 35th overall pick as opposed to the fourth, have shown quite a bit of interest in him. In addition to last week’s team-facility visit, the Bengals met with Mallett at his March 8 Pro Day. Quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese made the trip to Fayetteville.

Mallett told Reedy that he can envision a smooth transition from Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino’s offense into new Cincinnati coordinator Jay Gruden’s West Coast system.

“I consider that I’ve been playing in a West Coast (offense) last three years,” said Mallett. “We ran a lot of crossing routes and shallow routes. That was a big part of our game.”

Ultimately, the Bengals are not expected to hold Mallett’s character concerns against him on draft weekend. That means he’ll likely be given strong consideration in the second round by Cincinnati if the team drafts a receiver or defensive lineman at No. 4 overall.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Draft, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Ryan Mallett visits Bengals, insists he’s a “great person””
  1. rovibe says: Apr 3, 2011 2:37 PM

Man, if Mallett didn’t have his baggage (whether it’s all true or not), he’d own this draft.

Imagine if people talked about his personality the way they talk about Christian Ponder or Andy Dalton — he’d go in the top 5 for sure.

Way to cost yourself millions, dude.

2. steelergold says: Apr 3, 2011 2:49 PM

Yes, Mallett is highly regarded in some circles.

3. cassrangers says: Apr 3, 2011 2:50 PM

well, if there is any team that he could convince of that, its the Bungholes!!

4. 3octaveFart says: Apr 3, 2011 2:51 PM

Nah, 85 won’t be a bad influence on this kid.
    Everything will work out just fine.

5. juancorsair says: Apr 3, 2011 2:53 PM

When have the Bengals EVER held character concerns against a prospect in any draft? It’s almost like they run a troubled youth redemption program, for the love of god!

6. CKL says: Apr 3, 2011 2:55 PM

“I’m a great person” huh? That’s what Clausen said too. Not a big fan of people patting themselves on the back that way when they are at a position of leadership especially. If he wanted to allay concerns I think he would have been better off saying something like, “I hope when teams meet me and that when they talk to people who know me that they will feel good about what they hear and find out.

7. tryagainplease says: Apr 3, 2011 3:03 PM

think he was convicted of murder the way the rumors have flown.

8. iced107 says: Apr 3, 2011 3:09 PM

If I’m the Bengals, I’d consider Mallett with the 4th overall pick.

I honestly believe he’ll be the best QB from this draft 5 years down-the-line if we go off of on the field performance.

If teams feel fine about his character – he’s the best QB in this draft from a passing and decision making (huge) standpoint. I’d snag him.

9. ar1888 says: Apr 3, 2011 3:10 PM

Lets hope they had Adam Pac-man Jones show him around towm.

10. whatswiththehate says: Apr 3, 2011 3:15 PM

The two most threatening QBs this draft are the two who the media accused the hardest of so called “character issues.’ Mallett didn’t handle the media pressure well but Cam is still hanging in there. Good luck to both of you. If they were threaten by you, they wouldn’t be finding so called issues with you.

My three top QBs Mallett, Cam, and Jake.

11. RussianBreadMaker says: Apr 3, 2011 3:19 PM

Wonder if that speech coach is available that helped Vick out.

12. PFT can S my D says: Apr 3, 2011 3:21 PM

Mallet is a stud. His stats don’t lie and he has a heck of an arm. Personallity issues? He’s an early 20 something year old kid he’s gunna lose a grip and not know how to handle the constant reporters and all the fame and make a few mistakes. So no one is dead and he’s not in jail I think he will be just fine in the NFL. It’s not like he’s Ryan Leaf

13. thetooloftools says: Apr 3, 2011 3:22 PM

This kid will be gone in the first round and will be drafted before Cam Newton.
    A qb who’s a little reckless and wild?
    I’ll take that guy over pampered and paid and privileged any day of the week.
    This kid is a keeper.

14. thevikes85 says: Apr 3, 2011 3:22 PM

The same way LaDainian Tomlinson is classy?

15. mhs8031 says: Apr 3, 2011 3:24 PM

Bengal Fans: What are the chances the Bengals try to trade up with Carolina to get Newton?

16. rockymtnphinfan says: Apr 3, 2011 3:38 PM

Mallet won’t be around for the second round so the Bengals won’t have to worry about using that second round pick on him anyways.

17. skiumahrah says: Apr 3, 2011 3:40 PM

Can you guys go three hours without writing a negative, character bashing article? Seriously I’d be embarrassed.

Write the article, fine, but call it —

Ryan Mallett visits Bengals, insists he’s a “great person”

Come on.

18. skoobyfl says: Apr 3, 2011 3:45 PM

Cause I got high….

19. spreadthecheese says: Apr 3, 2011 4:07 PM

If he wants to get drafted by the Bengals he should play up his character issues.

20. beeviss says: Apr 3, 2011 4:14 PM

He won’t make it out of the top 20

21. thegonz13 says: Apr 3, 2011 4:15 PM

The last time the Bengals were enamored with a QB’s college stats, they were stuck with David Klingler!

22. terrellblowens says: Apr 3, 2011 4:19 PM

If you have to publicly state that you are a great person, generally you are not a great person.

23. ncsteeler says: Apr 3, 2011 4:20 PM

If I were running the Bengals (and lord knows I couldn’t do worse!) I wouldn’t take a QB at #4. I just don’t see any of this year’s crop being a sure fire homerun like maybe Matt Ryan or even Sam Bradford. Someone will fall and I’d either wait until top of 2nd round or maybe move up into end of first round, depending on what other teams like Buffalo do. Of the playoff teams only Seattle might grab a QB; so if one gets past them he’s probably headed for 2nd rnd.

24. masterofthegridiron says: Apr 3, 2011 4:25 PM

If he gets his footwork in order he’ll be alright. Since when did character matter in any profession?

25. itsmebobd says: Apr 3, 2011 4:33 PM

Ryan Mallet lacks that natural born leadership ability. He also lacks some maturity, and is in for a big shock when get gets to the nfl. That being said, Ryan Mallet has all the tools to become a GREAT nfl quarterback. The good news is, Maturity, Responsibility, and Leadership can be taught. Draft AJ green or Julio Jones in the first round, Mallet in the 2nd round, bring kitna back to run the offense for a year, let mallet sit and learn from a positive role model. Give him this and he will flourish as the next great bengals quarterback. Many also said palmer lacked great leadership abilities, and it has hurt the bengals over time. Palmer never has been and never was a great leader, as evidenced by his passive aggresiveness vis a vi his current trade demands. He sits idly by for years, keeping his mouth shut, until it all boils over, and goes from saying nothing to TRADE ME OR IM QUITTING MOMMY!
    Anyhow, draft mallet!

26. diehard82 says: Apr 3, 2011 4:38 PM

I think he’s the best QB prospect in this draft. Can’t see him falling past the Skins at 10, but if he’s still around at 25, Seattle will say thank you very much, so the Bengals can forget about the 2nd round.

27. stairwayto7 says: Apr 3, 2011 5:47 PM

I would not touch ANY of these QB’s this year! This has to be one of the most overrated, overhyped classes for QB’s in years, probably decades! Other than the Mannings,.SEC QBs in recent years suck! Heath Schuler,Eric Zier, Rex Grossman, Shane Mathews, Danny Wuerffel,Eric Ainge, Jamarcus, Rohan Davies to name a few and remember everyone called Cutler “soft” in the playoffs! Stay away from SEC QB’S NFL owners!

28. rovibe says: Apr 3, 2011 6:42 PM

tryagainplease says: “Not sure how Ryan cost himself millions- seems like it’s those wanting to prop others up that are the ones costing him money. The dude has one public intox – you’d
    think he was convicted of murder the way the rumors have flown.”

———————-

Dude, you’re way off. There have been plenty of people suggesting that Mallett has screwed around with much more than alcohol while in school, that he’s been a loudmouthed showboat in the classroom, and that he’s not fit the profile of a leader in the locker room or when it comes to team meetings. That’s a lot more than ‘one public intox’…

I’m not saying all of those things are true. Furthermore, I wouldn’t mind seeing my team take a chance on drafting him. But the facts are clear — despite all the rumors floating around about this guy having questionable character, we’ve yet to hear him publicly deny any of it, and that’s more than enough to make plenty of teams shy away.

29. thefiesty1 says: Apr 3, 2011 6:48 PM

He’s beginning to sound like an used car salesman. Toot your own horn, style of offense perfect for him. Does he really want to play for Mike Brown? Geeeeese!

30. lbijake says: Apr 3, 2011 7:18 PM

I think it is racist the way Ryan Mallet is getting treated. I talked to Warren Moon about this but he says that this is ridiculous, people are just giving their opinion about Mallet and it has nothing to do with race. I feel much better now.

31. cwitty63 says: Apr 3, 2011 7:27 PM

Some of you posters must only come out of your caves every three or four years…The bengals players do not get in any trouble and havent for years…Except for a dui every couple of years !
    no felony arrests in cincinnati for awhile.
    Whoever posts ignorance like that is truly THE BUNGHOLE.(cassrangers)

32. MichaelEdits says: Apr 3, 2011 7:34 PM

Keeping in mind that I know nothing about college football, when I read this article I thought “Phillip Rivers.”

33. ncsteeler says: Apr 3, 2011 8:16 PM

stairwayto7 says:
    Apr 3, 2011 5:47 PM

I don’t know if I’d claim all SEC QBs are bad prospects. Most of those you list are mid-round picks. Shuler and Russell were definitely busts; Grossman is no all-pro but he’s still around. The Manning boys seem have done OK. Cutler has had a decent career. Stafford shows flashes but can’t stay healthy. That’s as many 1st rounders that I can think of – some good one, some busts, some mediocre ones. Probably get the same for any other conference.

34. whatswiththehate says: Apr 3, 2011 8:34 PM

lbijake says:
    Apr 3, 2011 7:18 PM
    —————————–
    I see you having a hard time with the truth. Take everything that is said about Mallett and ratchet it up 5 times and you’ll have Cam.

Please stop tell a black man how he should feel. It’s very condescending. And you keep proving him right. Walk a mile in his shoes and then you can tell him how too feel.

Anyway, I liked Mallett. Him and Cam, IMO, are both the most talented QB of this draft.

Everytime I read real comparisons of the top four QBs, barely any criticism is made against Blaine but he is always at the bottom of the list. It’s either Mallett or Cam jocking for first place. I find that very interesting.

35. tryagainplease says: Apr 3, 2011 8:42 PM

Rovibe- what? I’m a razorback fan and am well aware of all the talk that’s been generated since the end of the season. Funny enough you didn’t hear anything before then… He’s never failed a drug test, was elected one of the teams captains… I don’t see where these idiotic rumors have any validity yet the media jumps up and down attacking him like he is satans spawn.

36. freedomispopular says: Apr 3, 2011 10:16 PM

Hm…why would the Bengals be looking at QBs when Mike Brown has no intention of trading Palmer…?

37. henryjones20 says: Apr 4, 2011 1:25 AM

i just wish these haters would go on nascar.com good luck mallett

38. thetooloftools says: Apr 4, 2011 1:36 AM

There is NO CHANCE this kid will be around at 35. He is going in the top ten only nobody is tipping their hand.

39. thetooloftools says: Apr 4, 2011 1:41 AM

“The Manning boys seem have done OK”.
    ncsteeler.. you didn’t seriously write this.
    Somebody needs to e mail you a clue.

40. rosemary9 says: Apr 5, 2011 1:54 PM

Ryan Mallett needs a good dose of humility instilled in him. I don’t think he’s a bad guy. He’s just a little too sure of himself. But, I think he’s teachable.