Mayock moves Cam Newton up on his quarterback rankings

Cam Newton AP

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock held out for a while, but he now ranks Cam Newton on his No. 2 quarterback prospect.

Throughout the draft process, Mayock has ranked Newton below Jake Locker among quarterbacks and not among his top-15 players overall.  After more film work and positive feedback about the interview process, Mayock moved Newton ahead of Locker.

“[Newton] is dotting his Is & crossing Ts,” Mayock said on Monday’s Path to the Draft on NFL Network.   “He’s done a great job in team interviews. I’m starting to buy that the kid cares.”

While Mayock’s opinion matters a lot to us, the only people that Newton really cares about at this point reside in North Carolina.

And I think that anyone other than Newton going No. 1 overall would be an upset at this point.  (Note how I dropped the royal “we” for once.  I’m not sure Florio is with me on that one.)

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
12 Responses to “Mayock moves Cam Newton up on his quarterback rankings”
  1. alltimeballa says: Apr 4, 2011 7:18 PM

I for one will be glad when this draft is over!

2. reddskeletor says: Apr 4, 2011 7:22 PM

So what about Nolan Nawrocki’s report? Mayock is a reliable guy; why does he see Newton in such a different light?

3. scooby77 says: Apr 4, 2011 8:29 PM

As a Bills fan, man am I happy Newton’s stock is rising. Hopefully Carolina does take him.

Give me Gabbert!

4. dariusmyles says: Apr 4, 2011 8:53 PM

Im a hardcore Bills fan as well, Id love to have newton on my team but Ill be totally fine with Gabbert as well, hell I just want the same starting qb and oc for two years in a row, maybe a couple of more W’s would be nice too but im trying to be realistic!

5. hobartbaker says: Apr 4, 2011 8:54 PM

No, Evan, you dropped a royal “do” on that one.

6. hobartbaker says: Apr 4, 2011 9:02 PM

“Mr. McShay” must not be feeling like himself these days.

7. whatswiththehate says: Apr 4, 2011 10:08 PM

Mayock is such a TOOL…He is holding out with Blaine cause he done got paid to keep Blaine ontop.

FYI, I’ve been following Jake, Mallett, Cam, and Blaine, since this draft. Cam is clearly the whopping boy and Mallett is the stepchild of this Draft season. But I’ll be honest, Blaine is the first QB who the sports elite media having been pimping HARD yet u kinda get the feeling that the hype isn’t quite matching the reality.

Out of the four QBs, it seems as if Mallett and Cam are making the rounds with the different teams…Go figure. This is why I take every thing I read about these QBs with a grain of salt.

8. granadafan says: Apr 4, 2011 11:20 PM

Anyone else feel that these draft “experts” are just moving players around on their board just to get publicity even though the pro days are LONG done?

9. jhorton83 says: Apr 5, 2011 12:53 AM

Well, it makes sense he’d move Newton ahead of Locker since Locker couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn with a football if his life depended on it.

10. babyjesus69 says: Apr 5, 2011 1:35 AM

I hope Carolina takes Cam. That helps Peterson fall to the niners

11. orenthalsimpson says: Apr 5, 2011 4:12 AM

If I was a fan of any team looking for a star/franchise quarterback in this years draft, id probably jump off a bridge.

12. blackqbwhiterb says: Apr 5, 2011 6:58 AM

I’d rather have Andy Dalton Quarterback my team….