Odds and ends from Mel Kiper’s conference call

M. Kiper

In these strange NFL days, we basically only have labor news and draft news.   That means that a conference call held by ESPN’s Mel Kiper qualifies as news.

Since you guys couldn’t be on his media session Wednesday, we jotted down the most interesting parts:

1. Kiper believes the Browns should take a wide receiver at No. 6, and then pick a defensive lineman in the second round.  Based on everything we hear about A.J. Green and Julio Jones, we agree.

2. Among the second tier of quarterbacks (Behind Newton/Gabbert/Locker/Mallett), Kiper likes Andy Dalton’s chances of having a long career as a starter best.  Behind Dalton, he likes Rickey Stanzi from Iowa.  Dalton could go anywhere from the end of the first round to the third round.

3. Kiper believes Da’Quan Bowers would have been a top-two pick if healthy, but now has him dropping to No. 12 to Minnesota.  Kiper still ranks Bowers as the fifth best player in the draft.  The top four all are all defenders: Patrick Peterson, Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, and Nick Fairley.

4. On UNC defensive end Robert Quinn, ranked seventh by Kiper:  “Had he played this year, maybe first, second, or third pick overall.”

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Odds and ends from Mel Kiper’s conference call”
  1. cardiovascularendurance says: Apr 6, 2011 5:32 PM

Kiper has a media-only conference call?!? What a joke! Please, do post 15 articles breaking down everything he enlightened you all with. PFT planet is anxiously awaiting…

2. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Apr 6, 2011 6:19 PM

In these strange NFL days, we basically only have labor news and draft news.

Don’t forget about your earth shaking post about a head coach that once worked at Augusta(you know golf) when a teen. That is neither about the Labor situation or the Draft.

3. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Apr 6, 2011 6:29 PM

(Behind Newton/Gabbert/Locker/Mallett), Kiper likes Andy Dalton’s chances of having a long career as a starter best. Behind Dalton, he likes Rickey Stanzi from Iowa.

So he thinks Ponder is at best the SEVENTH best QB in the draft? I don’t know how Kiper keeps his job.

4. the4cannon's says: Apr 6, 2011 6:57 PM

kiper looks like the offspring off christoper walken and an oompa loompa!

5. bensstinkyfingers says: Apr 6, 2011 7:17 PM

That’s great, now it’s confirmed my Browns will not pick a stud reciever with the #6 pick, thanks Eddie Munster , yourank up there with the Madden curse!

6. whatswiththehate says: Apr 6, 2011 7:35 PM

I’m going to go out on a limb and say, folks in the elite media, especially ESPN, S.I., and the NFL Network take themselves WAY to seriously. It’s no wonder Nolan is doing everything to be liked by them. I remember when NBC sports was relevant now the cow down to ESPN and their folks.

The sports media kind of reminds me of high school. You have the group who feel they’re God’d gift to the world. The group who worship them and the group who simply sit laughs and make fun of both groups..

7. randolph32 says: Apr 6, 2011 7:45 PM

…but I’d sure like to have his hair!

8. andyreidisfat says: Apr 6, 2011 7:52 PM

I really hate having to be the one to defend a guy like Kiper as I do think hes a bit smug. But lets be real here. Does anyone of think we know more than Mel Kiper ??? The guy does this for a living. All he does is watch college players and grade them. And i bet if a study was done on how he grades guys out and how they turn out, he’s most likely right more often than he is wrong.

I know we all like to bash the “draft guru’s” but seriously does anyone of us think we can do better or knows more ???

I know we like to knock these guys, but personally i like to see what people who study tape that i don’t have time to have to say.

And for all of you folks on this site who think they may know more than a guy like Kiper and say “who listens to this guy anyway” I am willing to bet my life on the fact that more people listen to him in the NFL than listen to you ….. Think about it ….

9. jimr10 says: Apr 6, 2011 8:00 PM

really, is anyone paying attention to what he says? Mel Kiper telling teams what they should do. remind me where did he play? where did he coach? of what team was he a general manager?

10. davisjosh20 says: Apr 6, 2011 8:10 PM

Thank you “nextyear”, I’m an FSU fan, so, its a homer for me, but, out of every QB in this draft, Ponder is the only one who has progressed since the end of his season. His medical checked out, and was the best QB in the Senior Bowl, at the Combine, and, arguably his pro day. He didn’t have the luxury of throwing to his own receivers, none of his were eligible to participate. So he threw to Isaac Bruce. And I believe he had more completions than Newton and Mallet. May be wrong there, but. I just don’t understand why Christian Ponder is so far down peoples list. Although I tend to take Kiper and especially that dbag McShay with a grain.

11. k1isthebest says: Apr 6, 2011 8:28 PM

Anyone can listen to the conference call just go to google and type “ESPN Media Zone Conference Calls” and Mel’s call is the first one there.

12. freddyfelder says: Apr 6, 2011 8:48 PM

Trump-Kiper 4 President! #Winning!

13. jimmysee says: Apr 6, 2011 8:52 PM

But Mel Kiper is *always* wrong.

14. raiderapologist says: Apr 6, 2011 9:12 PM

andyreidisfat says: Apr 6, 2011 7:52 PM

Kiper is like the local meteorologist. He can be wrong as often as not, but I’m guessing that out of 32 teams, none of them have the Kiper List on their draft board. He might know more than you and me, but that doesn’t mean he’s any good.

15. sdot353 says: Apr 6, 2011 10:37 PM

who the hell is mel kiper any way..lol.. classic that never gets old

16. hobartbaker says: Apr 6, 2011 10:40 PM

The odds and ends of Kiper’s calls are that they are really “odd” until they “end”.

17. duffer58 says: Apr 7, 2011 12:27 AM

Kiper does not evaluate talent. He rates players on info he hears. There is a huge difference. Kiper changes his board not on his evaluations but from what he hears. I could give many examples of him doing that.
    Like Espn Kiper just sucks.

18. goldsteel says: Apr 7, 2011 1:03 AM

I love Mel Kiper! His enthusiasm in infectious. The draft wouldn’t be the draft without Mel.

19. loungefly74 says: Apr 7, 2011 9:27 AM

duffer58 says:
    Apr 7, 2011 12:27 AM
    Kiper does not evaluate talent. He rates players on info he hears. There is a huge difference. I could give many examples of him doing that.
    *****************************************
    please provide us a hard example..not just something you heard yourself. yeah, i dont believe for a minute a guy who watches hours and hours of footage goes by hearsay. he may factor in hearsay (for example, a plyer dropping due to poor work ethic/drug use/criminal activity, etc…) , everyone does that. jez.
    ———————————-
    andyreidisfat, i agree. the guy does this for a living for the past 20+ years!!! he must be doing something right. haters are just more vocal. besides, it would be weird if no one made their opinions, someone has to..how about the guy who spends his entire life studying players? makes sense to me!
    ————————————-
    raiderapologist, i bet all 32 teams do consider his board. they do not use it word for word, but i bet all of them reference it in some form or another.
    ———————————–
    goldsteel says:
    Apr 7, 2011 1:03 AM

YES! i’m with ya on that. one of my favorite days of the year. i tell my girlfriend to just let me devote the entire day to the draft. i surround myself with snacks and drinks and just soak in what todd, mike, and mel have to say. love it!