Wednesday’s antitrust hearing pitting the NFL against its players has taken a quick break.
Greg A. Bedard of the Boston Globe reports that the hearing took a break around 12:15 p.m. ET after starting at 10:30 a.m. this morning. Bedard has a few other interesting nuggets from the morning sessions.
The most eye-opening: “Only 1 mention of irreparable harm and [Judge Susan] Nelson said it ‘appears players have strong case.”‘
According to USAToday, the NFLPA* argued the lockout was illegal.
“Let them go back to work and do what they do, and that’s playing the game of football,” said lawyer James Quinn, speaking for the players. “The lockout itself is illegal. Over 800 players are unsigned. These players have no jobs. They have nowhere to go.”
Bedard said most of the talk so far has been about whether the the court has jurisdiction. Quinn was up for 33 minutes and fielded 13 questions. NFL counsel David Boies has been talking for 58 minutes and has taken 23 questions.
UPDATE: The break is over. Hopefully everyone got a snack at halftime. Boies is still taking questions.