Connecting the dots between Josh Johnson and Jim Harbaugh

Jacksonville Jaguars v Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getty Images

In an article about Carson Palmer on Thursday, NFL.com’s Vic Carucci wrote a truism to keep in mind in the coming weeks:

“This is what happens during an offseason when no NFL business is being done: The media starts manufacturing stories,” he said.

So with that out of the way, let’s keep manufacturing them.

More than once this offseason, we’ve noticed writers mention Bucs quarterback Josh Johnson as a possible target for 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh.  Harbaugh, after all, coached Johnson at the University of San Diego.

Johnson was asked about the possibility and was quick to say he couldn’t comment on any possible interest.  He did pass along that he has a great relationship with Harbaugh.

“Even if we don’t get together, there’s always going to be a mutual relationship between us,” Johnson told Carl Steward of the Oakland Tribune.  “There’s a lot of respect there, because I know what he did for me as a player. I know how much I grew to love him and his family. I felt like it was more than just a coach-player type of thing.”

We don’t necessarily see Johnson going anywhere because he has plenty of value to the Bucs as a backup quarterback that knows the team’s system.  Then again, Johnson’s contract runs out in 2011 and the Bucs would surely listen if Harbaugh was interested.

The 49ers seem likely to draft a quarterback at some point in April, but they need to add at least one veteran to the mix, if not two.  Johnson would probably be targeted for more of a backup role, but he’s a name to keep in mind.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
12 Responses to “Connecting the dots between Josh Johnson and Jim Harbaugh”
  1. johnabis says: Apr 8, 2011 11:32 AM

I always thought Josh Johnson was a good QB and showed promise.. I guess its worth a shot

2. dcninerfan says: Apr 8, 2011 11:56 AM

“The 49ers seem likely to draft a quarterback at some point in April, but they need to add at least one veteran to the mix, if not too.”

Proof read? Ever heard of it? Ah, right, this is PFT, they are more interested in rumor than facts, proofreading included.

3. deljzc says: Apr 8, 2011 11:59 AM

The 49ers are in a tricky spot trying to get a QB from this draft class because so many others with the same need are ahead of them (either 1st or 2nd rounders).

I agree they should be looking outside the 2011 draft.

To me there best bet is to get a veteran west-coast guy like Hasselback (or McNabb) to help implement the system with the offense. Bringing in Johnson sounds like a great idea to go along with that.

Then position yourself in next year’s draft to get Andrew Luck if things really go south this year.

Harbaugh is a good coach and should get some leeway to have a 3-4 year plan since any plan involves drastically fixing the QB position. You can’t expect that to be achieved overnight with this draft class and available free agents. The only other option is Kolb, which I’m just not sure about.

4. airraid77 says: Apr 8, 2011 12:24 PM

what was the connection between morris and freeman when the bucs drafted freeman?
    Rosenidiot, I GUARANTEE YOU that if you look hard enough there is a link between team A and player…..Things dont just happen because team like player A more than player B.

5. oldbyrd says: Apr 8, 2011 12:42 PM

KOLB

6. jagmania65 says: Apr 8, 2011 1:16 PM

Thank God Freeman and Harbaugh have a “mutual relationship”. Every time I had a relationship that wasn’t mutual, all I ever got out of it was a restraining order…

7. armchairgm9 says: Apr 8, 2011 2:11 PM

Josh Johnson’s ability is pretty incredible. Kid is an athlete and has an absolute cannon. He’s definitely accurate enough. Biggest issue is in his head and it sounds like his relationship with Harbaugh could get him back to the right place. And by back to the right place, I’m referring to the fact that he holds the highest division 1 passer efficiency rating ever. In his final season under Harbaugh he threw for 3000 yards, 40 TDs, and 1 pick.

8. airraid77 says: Apr 8, 2011 2:24 PM

josh johnsons chances at competing for the starting qb ended when the commissioner announced the bucs has selected josh freeman…
    it would be interesting to see him be able to legitimately compete for a the job…..

9. larryed says: Apr 8, 2011 3:00 PM

As much as I would hate to see Josh Johnson go elsewhere, he does want a starting job that he probably won’t get with the Buc’s barring injuries. He is a great guy and a good QB and would do well with Harbaugh. Another bonus is that he has instilled with Josh Freeman’s work ethic now and would be a valuable addition to any team.

10. brasho says: Apr 8, 2011 6:25 PM

armchairgm9 says:
    Apr 8, 2011 2:11 PM

+++++++++++++++++++

Wrong! First off, Johnson has an average arm… a great release, but his arm is average at best. Also, he threw 43 TDs and 1 INT. Accuracy is his BIGGEST issue… not his head. He played well in limited playing time in the past and his relationship with Harbaugh makes him a very likely fit in SF.

I’ve been banging the JJ to SF drum since the moment Harbaugh was hired.

11. armchairgm9 says: Apr 9, 2011 7:55 AM

Checkdown Johnson as his teammates jokingly refer to him has an issue with reads, body language, and leadership. That’s his head. And I said he was accurate enough, not that it wasn’t an issue for him. And JJ’s average arm can throw the ball through the uprights from the opposite 40… Even Freeman admits the Johnson’s arm is as strong as his.

12. bucsballer says: Apr 11, 2011 10:10 AM

I love this guy. He’s a good back up. It’s a shame he never got a shot. I hope he does good, he’s very underrated