Ray Lewis: Lockout a great opportunity to do something else

Divisional Playoffs - Baltimore Ravens v Pittsburgh Steelers Getty Images

Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis doesn’t necessarily see the lockout as a bad thing.

Lewis told Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun that he tells his teammates they should embrace an offseason with no mandatory activities as a time when they can grow in other aspects of their lives.

“I would hope and pray all the guys I talk to . . . the thing I try to tell them is please do something else,” Lewis said. “You have to have many things going on. To me, this is probably the greatest window of opportunity I’ve ever had in my life. It’s been 25 years of my life that I’ve never had a summer to myself.”

Lewis said he doesn’t know whether to expect a full 16-game season, and he was cryptic when asked how he feels about the issues related to the lockout.

“I’m totally away from them because I look at it totally different, and I’ll share that at another time,” he said.

Lewis says he’s using his free time to promote businesses and charities he’s involved in, and “working out for a lifestyle” rather than football.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Ray Lewis: Lockout a great opportunity to do something else”
  1. saberstud75 says: Apr 8, 2011 7:22 AM

I am guessing Ray Lewis means something other that stupid crap that is getting other players arrested.

It is refreshing to hear a player promoting businesses and charities vs. strip clubs and jails.

The NFL does a few classey players, although few and far-between.

2. duanethomas says: Apr 8, 2011 8:05 AM

Probably the great majority of players are doing just as he said, promoting charities, business ventures, and just ordinary normal stuff. Not boxing, playing soccer, wrestling or running track. It just doesnt get covered, because it wont get rating or clicking on the story. The same week Dez Bryant was dominating the football news stories, 8 NFL players were in Africa building wells and gave out over 2,000 hearing aids. The 5% of the screw ups in the NFL get the most coverage and then people due to their own issues paint all players with the same brush. They would say Dez is typical, but on his own team you have guys like Jason Witten, DeMarcus Ware, Bradie James, Terrance Newman who have given so much to local charities with their time & money. There should be a good guy watch on this site, just like their is a turd watch.

3. stfunowplease says: Apr 8, 2011 8:15 AM

Classy player? you mean the one involved in a double homicide outside of a club? Then got arrested ? Well, at least he speaks from experience.

4. txchief says: Apr 8, 2011 8:20 AM

List of other options for most NFL players:

1. IF you have a degree AND can pass the exam and backgroud check, coach at a junior high.

2. Sell shoes at the mall or sick rims at the auto shop.

3. Find a job carrying something heavy.

If you are Tom Brady:

1. Build yourself a giant compound/space launch complex/slave quarters. I think he should name the new place “Uncle Tom’s Cabin.”

2. As you have grown a pony tail and have a girlish figure, film you and your hot wife having a simulated lesbian fling.

For the uber high paid NFL superstars, this could be a great time. For everyone else (including the fans), the situation stinks. Get back to the negotiating table NFLPA. You guys won’t realize how great of a deal you walked away from until it gone.

5. tombrookshire says: Apr 8, 2011 8:32 AM

Like break the law?

6. footballfan says: Apr 8, 2011 8:39 AM

It still amazes me how no matter how long ago you made a mistake, and how you have acted after really matters.

I am no Ravens fan but Ray Lewis is one of the best to play the game. He made mistakes a long time ago but he seems to have learned from them and hopefully some of the other players out there will learn from his mistake.

7. commoncents says: Apr 8, 2011 9:03 AM

“…as a time where they(I) can grow…” What is Ray Lewis growing?? It’s better than playing with his guns I guess…

8. billinva says: Apr 8, 2011 9:10 AM

This guy is such a hypocrite.

9. geo1113 says: Apr 8, 2011 9:21 AM

“He made mistakes a long time ago but he seems to have learned from them and hopefully some of the other players out there will learn from his mistake.”

A mistake? Please. He was convicted of obstruction of justice in a murder case. That is not a mistake. And during that time, his story seemed to change every other day. There was circumstantial evidence that he may have actually been involved in the murders, but not enough to convict.

10. mike106 says: Apr 8, 2011 9:24 AM

part of a murder and spent really no time in jail for it..yeah he’s really learned his lesson…

11. eckiebones says: Apr 8, 2011 9:31 AM

Stay out of the Atlanta night clubs…..

12. yahmule says: Apr 8, 2011 9:45 AM

This is the type of self-delusional fantasy tale that sells like hotcakes to the hero-worshipping sycophants on this site. I can’t wait for the Michael Vick piece in the same vein.

13. genericcommenter says: Apr 8, 2011 10:02 AM

There are a lot of people who obstruct justice on a daily basis and don’t go to jail. In certain professions it warrants promotion.

14. ilduce24 says: Apr 8, 2011 10:04 AM

So Ray Lewis hasn’t had a summer to himself since he was 10 or 11? Yeah I doubt that…we call that exaggerating, more like 18 years at most definitely not 25

15. bensteeler29 says: Apr 8, 2011 10:25 AM

Ray Lewis should be finishing up is sentence in prison now, not building a hall of fame career.

Easy to find a hobby when you are at the higher end of the pay scale. Not so easy when you make 500,000 per year and live above your means

16. ernestbynershands says: Apr 8, 2011 10:47 AM

I’m a Browns fan with an intense disliking for the Ravens. So liking Ray Lewis isn’t easy. Could it actually be true that an NFL off-field trouble maker reformed himself?
    I hope so. I’m actually beginning to think that maybe this guy did reform himself.
    One can only hope.

17. kotapug says: Apr 8, 2011 11:32 AM

My post said basically the same as stfunowplease but you delete mine ? Why don’t you send me a message and let me know why you delete every post I put on here. I did not know that this site was run this poorly on peoples opinions .

18. pftwstbshmc says: Apr 8, 2011 11:36 AM

When I first read the story line I figured it would be talking about how he was returning to a life of crime and tweaking his skills of getting away with whatever he decides to do.
    This guy, Micheal Vick and a handful of others don’t deserve the lives they have. We all know damn well that if he (Vick and the others) did not have football or other athletic skills they would be behind bars serving years if not life sentences.

19. stfunowplease says: Apr 8, 2011 11:59 AM

The thing about him is that he is so obviously and completely grandstanding when he knows there are cameras on him. Do you think all those guys on that team really go out and bring it just because they’ve heard his 837th pre game pep-talk?
    The guy is a hypocrite praising god and the better way, yet convienetly never speaks of his incarceration?
    Why do you think that is? I know why, and it’s the same type of public figure admiration that kept Michael Jackson out of jail.