Antonio Cromartie: I’m my own union

Antonio Cromartie, Mewelde Moore AP

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie has taken shots at the NFLPA* and his fellow players from time to time, which some observers have viewed as a sign of cracks within the players’ side in the ongoing labor dispute with the owners. But Cromartie isn’t particularly concerned with what people think of his comments.

“I’m my own union,” Cromartie told Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “We’re a trade association, so I’m my own union. I’ve got to protect myself. I’m not worried about what everybody else feels. My biggest thing is going out there and playing football.”

Of course, Cromartie won’t be able to go out there and play football until the lockout ends, and whenever it does end, it’s not clear whether he’ll be back with the Jets. But Cromartie said he’s not particularly concerned about that, either.

“As I know right now, I’m a Jet until we’re told otherwise,” Cromartie said. “I leave that in the hands of God and my business partners. Right now, I’ve got to take care of what I’ve got to take care of, and that’s about me going out there and training.”

So Cromartie will simply stay in shape as he waits for the lockout to end, and trust any issues related to his status as a free agent in an uncertain labor environment to God, his business partners, and his own one-man union.

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
62 Responses to “Antonio Cromartie: I’m my own union”
  1. thephantomstranger says: Apr 11, 2011 6:30 PM

I’m sure God appreciates the help.

2. duanethomas says: Apr 11, 2011 6:31 PM

Ohhh nooooo. As soon as I saw his name, I knew it would be something dumb…but he did leave an opening for a joke at his expense……..He is right on one point, with all the baby mama’s and kids he has he is his own union. A big one. Shut up Antonio.

3. wetpaperbag2 says: Apr 11, 2011 6:32 PM

It should read, “I’m my own baby daddy.”

4. txchief says: Apr 11, 2011 6:34 PM

I guess Antonio better looking for a job in a right to work state.

5. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: Apr 11, 2011 6:38 PM

Cromartie is the only player that actually knows what the real deal is. He is not stupid like the other players and blindly following the ambulance chaser.
    He says whats on his mind, whether his coworkers like it or not, which is very refreshing since all the other players just lie and spin propaganda. He doesnt say one thing and then backpeddle and change his story once the public lashes at him like Drew Brees did.
    I’m telling everyone, MEmo Smith is a shady ME FIRST typical divorce attorney, He doesnt give a hoot about the players, he only cares about racking up billable hours and . I know it, and Cromartie knows it.

6. hobartbaker says: Apr 11, 2011 6:38 PM

Ho’s & Baby Mama’s of America, Local 385.

7. kd75 says: Apr 11, 2011 6:39 PM

He’s a union of 7 baby mammas and 8 kids. Those kids don’t even need braces yet…What’s he gonna do when they hit 13?

8. chc4 says: Apr 11, 2011 6:39 PM

Guess that “leave it in the hands of God” mantra applies to his sex life as well. Hence the absence of condoms.

9. mharenza says: Apr 11, 2011 6:41 PM

It is easy to poke fun at Comartie, but a lot of what he says makes sense and probably many players around the league think similarly. It seems like he is saying that he doesn’t trust anybody in the situation and just needs to take care of himself….I agree with that. However, it is rather amusing when he states he has to leave things up to God and his business partners.

10. handlethehandles says: Apr 11, 2011 6:42 PM

I wonder what the medical insurance costs in his union… with all those kids..

11. fahreak99 says: Apr 11, 2011 6:47 PM

Cromartie is an idiot, just like his fatass coach REX RYAN

12. terrellblowens says: Apr 11, 2011 6:47 PM

Him and all 20 of his kids could make a solid union

13. thatsdoinit says: Apr 11, 2011 6:47 PM

In other news, the NHL playoffs start on Wednesday.

14. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: Apr 11, 2011 6:48 PM

Don’t get me wrong, Cromartie does have his flaws. He is toooooo “giving” and spreads the love around a bit much, which the hoochies take advantage of him for. But as long as he takes care of his business “with his baby mamas then I have no issue with him.

The ambulance chaser/divorce lawyer should be replaced with Cromartie. I guarentee he would do a better job. He is the ONLY person from the NFPLA side that makes any damn sense.

15. icewalker946 says: Apr 11, 2011 6:50 PM

Solidarity!

16. nyjetsfan1982 says: Apr 11, 2011 6:53 PM

well techinally he can start his own union with all the kids he has…

17. tyreeshelmet says: Apr 11, 2011 6:56 PM

Glad to hear hes staying in shape and simply not knocking up random women around the country.

18. src3346 says: Apr 11, 2011 6:57 PM

Wow! he just opens his mouth and that’s what comes out. Amazing!

19. vahawker says: Apr 11, 2011 6:57 PM

He’s got enough kids to form a fairly powerful union.

20. brazy44 says: Apr 11, 2011 6:58 PM

to bad wearing a jim hat wasn’t one of the things he thinks he has to take care of. we could use one less kid how doesn’t have the same last name as his dad in this world.

21. tony420 says: Apr 11, 2011 7:02 PM

Am i wrong or does Cromartie make more sense that anyone else on the Union’s side.

22. rajbais says: Apr 11, 2011 7:05 PM

Who is he, Mike Tyson?

Moron trying to act tough??

23. thefiesty1 says: Apr 11, 2011 7:11 PM

The only union he knows is the ones with his 9, 10′ 11 multiple baby mommas.

24. billinva says: Apr 11, 2011 7:11 PM

12 kids and 16 baby mamas.

25. theguywhotoldtimtebowtoshutthefup says: Apr 11, 2011 7:12 PM

When I read the article I thought of a few good zingers, but the one’s you guys came up with so far are good enough for me.

26. nepatriots128154 says: Apr 11, 2011 7:12 PM

Lol. Imma leave it to God… and my business partners

27. rajbais says: Apr 11, 2011 7:17 PM

At least he told Jenny Vrentas, instead of geezer morality posers like Gary Meyers of NY Daily News!!!

I thought it was a joke when he got “offended” by Cromartie calling Tom Brady an a-hole because ugly faced idiots like Meyers have to stop trying to put “Disney Rules” on athletes!!!

Cromartie maybe an irresponsible moron, but he can undoubtedly make the NFL entertaining off the field!!!

28. 52crabcakes says: Apr 11, 2011 7:20 PM

I, I, I, I, I.

29. 3octaveFart says: Apr 11, 2011 7:29 PM

iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: Apr 11, 2011 6:38 PM

“I’m telling everyone, MEmo Smith is a shady ME FIRST typical divorce attorney,”

I thought the whole point of this article was that Cromartie defines the ME FIRST attitude?

30. citizenstrange says: Apr 11, 2011 7:29 PM

That reminds me of the Official West Virginia State Song … “I’m My Own Grandpa.”

31. joyjoy69 says: Apr 11, 2011 7:29 PM

Is that anything like the old song, “I’m my own grandpa”?!

32. omniscient48 says: Apr 11, 2011 7:31 PM

“I’ve got to protect myself. I’m not worried about what everybody else feels.”

A true team player.

33. jamaltimore says: Apr 11, 2011 7:33 PM

That’s no different than the thinking of dsmith, dbrees and dfoxworth! I’ll let you figure out what the d stands for…..

34. CKL says: Apr 11, 2011 7:33 PM

It’s not the size of the union, it’s the activity of its…uhhhh…members right, AC? ;D

35. apac6586 says: Apr 11, 2011 7:34 PM

Just because you shell out money to several women a month it does not mean that you are a union.

36. descendency says: Apr 11, 2011 7:37 PM

Is that because of all of his kids?

37. rushbacker says: Apr 11, 2011 7:37 PM

Why do I get the feeling this guy is a few years away from being Charlie Sheen?

38. demolition510 says: Apr 11, 2011 7:42 PM

The .gif of him not tackling is still priceless.

39. Deb says: Apr 11, 2011 7:49 PM

Populating the membership all by yourself, too, huh?

40. commoncents says: Apr 11, 2011 7:53 PM

Didn’t your current contract expire, or about to?? I’m pretty sure nobody calls to tell you your contract is up, except maybe your agent…andyour child supportee’s…Hey Crom, if you aren’t under contract, you don’t play for the jets

41. dcpatfan says: Apr 11, 2011 8:03 PM

Scab.

42. section731 says: Apr 11, 2011 8:19 PM

I’m shocked that a guy who can’t remember the names of his own children doesn’t care about anyone but himself.

I would be flabbergasted if he thought about anything other than himself and the right here, right now.

43. commandercornpone says: Apr 11, 2011 8:26 PM

yes, fan, they are bound to all be playas…

44. garyman1 says: Apr 11, 2011 8:28 PM

Yikes…. I guess we won’t be talking about him being voted a future union rep for the Jets

45. themightyraven says: Apr 11, 2011 8:32 PM

I Love Antonio Cromartie for making news during the lockout!! Someone please give him a reality show so he can feed his 14 kids.

46. jimr10 says: Apr 11, 2011 8:34 PM

Most people did not take issue with what he said but attacked his personal life. We need more players to speak out like he has.

47. bfridley says: Apr 11, 2011 8:57 PM

Someone PLEASE sit this kid down and explain to him what the hell all of this means…

48. bukes111 says: Apr 11, 2011 9:09 PM

I have a feeling the blocking on him is going to be more intense on Antonio when the season starts. And maybe the celebrations are going to be that much more exuberent if he’s the one who gets burnt.

49. truninerfan49 says: Apr 11, 2011 9:10 PM

I nominate Cromartie for union president. He always keeps it real

50. Deb says: Apr 11, 2011 9:49 PM

@jimr10 …

I generally believe other people’s personal lives are none of my business, but it is disturbing when people play fast-and-loose with the creation of human life. The existence of so many children by so many mothers that he can’t seem to keep track of them indicates Cromartie’s a person who takes care of his own needs with no thought for the consequences or how his selfishness will affect others.

You’re entitled to your views on the rightness or wrongness of the players’ stance. But it’s sad that you think we need more people to demonstrate total selfishness and lack of concern for their peers.

51. dkeyser says: Apr 11, 2011 10:13 PM

He’s his own union and Tom Arnold is his own grandpa

52. ArtModellsPimp says: Apr 11, 2011 11:42 PM

Deb says:

“…it is disturbing when people play fast-and-loose with the creation of human life. …a person who takes care of his own needs with no thought for the consequences or how his selfishness will affect others.”
    —————

Like Ben?

53. j0esixpack says: Apr 12, 2011 12:04 AM

“Antonio? Yeah, Hi, this is God. Look, do me a favor and don’t say anything to suggest that I’ve got anything to do with your activities. K? Thanks?”

54. jcdurden88 says: Apr 12, 2011 12:48 AM

este estupidoo queee!!

55. madenatewell says: Apr 12, 2011 5:19 AM

Makes you wonder if he was in the mediation room, the deal would be done already…not. X-)

56. steeelfann says: Apr 12, 2011 8:07 AM

Cromartie is point on. I never liked him before because of his irresponsibility related to all of those kids that were brought into the world the wrong way.

However, he is exactly right and I respect that side of him.

Unions are ridiculous in this day and age, the way they are used. My grandfather was a union organizer back in the day and he would be sick if he saw how they are now. He was worried about a fair wage for a fair day of work and minimum safety, keep people from dying.

Unions were never intended for governmental agencies (there are no profits!!! Only our tax dollars which they have stolen for years);

Unions were not intended for rich guys playing sports for rich guys.

Like anything where money is involved, unions proliferated and are now run by lawyer scuzballs and other of their similar ilk.

Cromartie, you are welcome over in the black and gold if the Jets don’t want you.

57. burntorangehorn says: Apr 12, 2011 8:38 AM

steeelfan, I’m generally against unions in their current form, but the conservative populism when it comes to unions needs to stop. If unions should exist at all, why should pro athletes not be able to have one? There’s actually more, not less, of a concern about issues like occupational safety in pro football than there is in almost any type of manufacturing or other trade labor (plumbing, carpentry, etc.) sector.

58. ruffbufffire says: Apr 12, 2011 8:59 AM

Wisconsin got rid of collective bargaining, he should hope the Packers sign him.

59. oldbyrd says: Apr 12, 2011 9:21 AM

Steelfan….You saved me a lot of writing GOOD FOR YOU. unions are declining every year thank god. They are the gateway to communism.

60. Deb says: Apr 12, 2011 1:18 PM

@ArtModell’sPimp …

I’m not aware that Ben has been creating human life. My criticism was not of Cromartie’s sex life, but his failure to use birth control and to support his teammates. I realize you guys are desperate to make Roethlisberger jokes, but that was just ignorant.

61. waynefontes says: Apr 13, 2011 8:00 AM

When I saw this headline, I knew you guys would come up with some great stuff and you didn’t disappoint.
    ————————————————–
    iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says:
    Apr 11, 2011 6:38 PM

Yes, he’s not stupid. After all, it’s takes a real genius to not use a condom and knock up all those different women.

At least we know after watching “Hard Knocks” that he knows how many kids he has and all their names.. oh wait, maybe doesn’t….

I would hope that any potential “leader” could at least name all of his 117 kids by his 117 baby mamas.

62. axespray says: Apr 14, 2011 4:47 AM

Anyone else thinks that Antonio Cromartie is just misunderstood?

He’s an Idiot = yes.
    but he seems to love the game and have passion to play it….just sayin’ (drew brees)