James Laurinaitis considers the family business

Kansas City Chiefs v St. Louis Rams Getty Images

Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis thinks there’s a 95-percent chance that the lockout will be resolved before any regular-season games are lost.  But if that one-in-20 proposition hits, Laurinaitis is thinking about following in his father’s footsteps.

I should take up pro wrestling. It’d be a natural transition,” Laurinaitis said, according to The Lantern, Ohio State’s student newspaper.  “I might have to try to get in the ring a little bit, take on John Cena or Randy Orton.”

Joe Laurinaitis recently was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.  (We didn’t even know there was one.)

“I’d consider it,” the younger Laurinaitis said of wrestling.  “You don’t want to mess around and get hurt.  But if it’s just a few run-downs here and there or something, I’d maybe at least get some of the training done.”

He wouldn’t need to do it for the income.   “I’ve saved up my money,” Laurinaitis said.  “I don’t spend my money on anything stupid.  I get all my clothes usually from Nike, or I wear the stuff I’ve worn through college.  The only thing I’ve got to worry about is taking care of myself and my dogs and paying a mortgage on a house that I can easily afford and buy off if I want to.

“Usually, we wouldn’t have checks come in until about this time anyway.  Guys will start hurting when you don’t get those game checks, but I think we’ll get them.”

Hopefully, he’s right.  But if he isn’t, he could still be on TV come September, wearing a lot less than a helmet and pads.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories, Union
25 Responses to “James Laurinaitis considers the family business”
  1. nyjalleffingday says: Apr 12, 2011 7:40 PM

See, not ALL the players are stupid, just the superstar ones.

2. fonetiklee says: Apr 12, 2011 7:41 PM

“I don’t spend my money on anything stupid. I get all my clothes usually from Nike, or I wear the stuff I’ve worn through college. The only thing I’ve got to worry about is taking care of myself and my dogs and paying a mortgage on a house that I can easily afford and buy off if I want to.”

Wow, a man living well within his means. What a novel concept. You paying attention, Dez?

3. halftermguv says: Apr 12, 2011 7:56 PM

Most of NFL players were given free rides at excellent academic institutions and have nothing to show for it. It may be understandable the football practice is a major distraction from classes in the fall but that doesn’t excuse the rest of the year.

4. hobartbaker says: Apr 12, 2011 7:57 PM

I don’t know, one of those punches or flying drop kicks could actually connect if you’re not careful in the ring. Accidents happen.

5. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Apr 12, 2011 8:03 PM

(We didn’t even know there was one.)

There is probably a hall of fame for almost all “pro” sports don’t you think? I haven’t googled it yet(only takes a second), but I’m sure there is a bowling hall of fame. There is even a Cricket hall of fame. But that would have taken a couple seconds out of PFT’s time and lord knows with the lock out there just isn’t enough time to do quick google searches, or proof read.

6. jakek2 says: Apr 12, 2011 8:04 PM

That nonsense is still on?

7. sterilizecromartie says: Apr 12, 2011 8:05 PM

AHHH WHAT A RUSH!!!

8. 52sackmachine says: Apr 12, 2011 8:06 PM

OH WHAT A RUSH!!!!!

9. axltcu says: Apr 12, 2011 8:16 PM

Even though wrestling hasn’t been anywhere near as popular as it was 10-12 years ago, they still sell out every arena everywhere they go. WWE Raw is still one of the most watched shows on TV. He could get a nice paycheck for a few appearances. Whether you like wrestling or not this could be really smart for him, as long as he doesn’t get hurt.

10. 1buckeye76 says: Apr 12, 2011 8:23 PM

Classy Buckeye, representing well. Way to go, James!

11. doe22us says: Apr 12, 2011 8:56 PM

Correction some players are hurting get loans with ridiculous interest rates what a sad bunch

12. devrocks247 says: Apr 12, 2011 9:15 PM

He wouldn’t even need to take off the pads. He could just put spikes on them, like his dad.

13. thekingdave says: Apr 12, 2011 9:16 PM

The Legion of Doom returns

14. madesian says: Apr 12, 2011 9:28 PM

he probably gets his Nike clothes for free. I know when Pat Angerer got drafted he signed a Nike endorsement for like 15,000 worth of apparel. I’ve heard that Nike offers that to a lot of new draftees.

15. thefiesty1 says: Apr 12, 2011 9:33 PM

Can he wrestle under his contract? Most contracts prohibit things like that. Maybe he should rethink and go into something else. Not to worry though, all this mess will be settled soon.

16. goforthanddie says: Apr 12, 2011 9:35 PM

Considering he has relatives in very high WWE positions, the kid can get a job whenever he wants. And as long as he does his dad proud, I’d welcome it.

17. bigbeefyd says: Apr 12, 2011 10:03 PM

@thereisalwaysnextyear, and for the edification of all my PFT homeys…turns out that there is, indeed, a bowling hall of fame, and Earl Anthony is in it (http://www.pba.com/Bowlers/HallOfFame/34)

So now we all knw that there is a God and he loves every sport that there is.

18. krow101 says: Apr 12, 2011 10:09 PM

Just as long as he doesn’t have to go and get a real job.

19. schmitty2 says: Apr 12, 2011 10:45 PM

This kid is going to be a perinial Pro Bowler for years to come

20. Canyonero says: Apr 12, 2011 10:55 PM

Wrestling isn’t something you just “start” it takes years to learn.

21. 1dolphinsfan says: Apr 12, 2011 11:55 PM

Honestly…..

I’m not a wrestling person (nothing wrong with those who are-I just don’t watch it) but, this kid has proven (if what written is true) that not all young players waste money… Kudo’s to you Son ..

Sooooooo. glad you’re not wasting the money on fake teeth, ridiculous jewelery, or an entourage .. My hat’s off to you Son …

22. madnova says: Apr 13, 2011 1:10 AM

He should probably contact fellow former Buckeye AJ Hawk to form a tag team. Hawk and Little Animal.

23. dempsey63 says: Apr 13, 2011 7:03 AM

Vince McMahon announced the formation of the WWE Hall of Fame shortly after the passing of Andre the Giant. Andre, he said, would be the first inductee.

(I’m still betting that Morganna’s bust will make it into the Cooperstown Hall of Fame ahead of Barry Bonds’.)

24. xmgmx says: Apr 13, 2011 7:15 AM

thereisalwaysnextyear says:
    Apr 12, 2011 8:03 PM
    (We didn’t even know there was one.)

There is probably a hall of fame for almost all “pro” sports don’t you think?
    …………………………………………
    Sorry, the wwe is NOT a pro sport. It’s a show with bad actors.

25. wyobroncoboy says: Apr 13, 2011 5:07 PM

Nice~!!!

“I’m still betting that “Morganna’s bust” will make it into the Cooperstown Hall of Fame ahead of Barry Bonds’.”