Madden release date moves back three weeks

MaddenThrowback

With the lockout lingering, the folks at EA are feeling the effects of the labor impasse.  And so will the rest of us.

Eric Fisher of SportsBusiness Journal reports that the release date for the latest version of the Madden franchise has been pushed back three weeks, from August 9 to August 30.

There are several possible reasons for the move.  The delay gives the folks at EA some extra time in the event the dispute is resolved before the start of training camp, which would give them an opportunity to shuffle free agents to their new teams.

Also, if the dispute hasn’t been resolved, EA can market a game that’s released on the Tuesday before Labor Day weekend as the next best thing to real football.

And if the powers-that-be wake up and get a deal done in late August, fans can celebrate the end of the lockout by purchasing the Madden game.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Madden release date moves back three weeks”
  1. henryjones20 says: Apr 13, 2011 1:52 PM

who really cares? maybe some lil kids i suppose

2. realitypolice says: Apr 13, 2011 1:53 PM

Or anyone over the age of 21 can use the delay as an excuse to celebrate their passage into adulthood by not playing video games anymore.

3. joeyballgame4 says: Apr 13, 2011 1:53 PM

“fantasy football” has taken on a whole new meaning….

4. kevo126 says: Apr 13, 2011 1:55 PM

“The delay gives the folks at EA some extra time in the event the dispute is resolved before the start of training camp, which would give them an opportunity to shuffle free agents to their new teams.”

they can do that after releasing the game… about every two weeks during the season they update the rosters.

5. geeeeemen says: Apr 13, 2011 1:56 PM

I’m sure all the comments here will be about how the game hasnt improved at all and sucks. Yet they still buy it.

I happen to think there are several subtle improvements in every year’s game.

Just wish it wasn’t $60, cot-tam!

6. lovedabirds says: Apr 13, 2011 1:59 PM

EA Sucks

7. vbhall78 says: Apr 13, 2011 2:02 PM

Bad news just keeps coming, hopefully this also means the game play will be better.

8. egls7 says: Apr 13, 2011 2:03 PM

So what im still not going to buy it

9. sprest83 says: Apr 13, 2011 2:03 PM

Who cares? Madden has been an epic let down for several years now. Year after year EA ships the same game with the newest rosters. $60 for a roster update is pathetic. I hope that the NFL doesn’t sign another exclusive contract with EA.

10. tomwill21 says: Apr 13, 2011 2:04 PM

Ruins mine and nerds across the USA summer this year…

11. jagsfan78 says: Apr 13, 2011 2:04 PM

Couldn’t they just release at the regular time and then later on release a download to updated rosters??

12. bigfranky75 says: Apr 13, 2011 2:05 PM

Honestly…. I can’t believe this is even a post. I mean, I get that there is a lock-out and stories are slim-pickens… but seriously guys? Gimme a break! Who cares?

13. dfensfelix says: Apr 13, 2011 2:06 PM

They should move the release date back until EA can put out a quality football game again.

14. dgforreal says: Apr 13, 2011 2:08 PM

LOL

15. scoops1 says: Apr 13, 2011 2:10 PM

Tecmo Super Bowl FTW

16. blackglass3 says: Apr 13, 2011 2:11 PM

realitypolice says:
    Apr 13, 2011 1:53 PM

Wow, you’re going to be a fun parent.

17. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Apr 13, 2011 2:18 PM

EA is dumb, they might as well post-pone the game untill the labor dispute is finished. I don’t know how they’re going to put in numbers for contracts if they don’t even know how the rookie wage scale will be handled. Being that i’m a big fan of franchise mode i’m gonna be pissed if its all fake made-up crap. There could be several rule changes included as well. EA I hate that you have the rights to the nfl.

18. njdevil7 says: Apr 13, 2011 2:20 PM

I can only hope that the extra three weeks will let EA make a game that is actually halfway decent…

19. conquerpeace4d says: Apr 13, 2011 2:28 PM

I don’t understand….they don’t work on the game for the whole year….and now they need 3 more weeks to not work on the game?

20. rockstart42 says: Apr 13, 2011 2:29 PM

I care! And you can bet I’ll be one of the first ones to get the game.

21. hobartbaker says: Apr 13, 2011 2:36 PM

From the cover picture I’d say they pushed the release date back from August 9, 1973.

22. bigd88 says: Apr 13, 2011 2:36 PM

geeeeemen says:
    Apr 13, 2011 1:56 PM

I happen to think there are several subtle improvements in every year’s game.

Just wish it wasn’t $60, cot-tam!

—————————————————-

Speak for yourself! I bought Madden ’10 because it was actually a pretty nice improvement from the dreadful ’09 game. But I sure as heck didn’t shell out $60 on Madden ’11 which is nearly identical to ’10 with useless “features” that they try to pass on as “innovative playcalling” and they still haven’t fixed the abysmal franchise mode – one of the biggest factors to many madden gamers.
    I don’t know about you, but I refuse to shell out my money for a polished you-know-what of a product just because it has an exclusive license. I just wish more people would do the same because the only way EA would care and make a worthwhile game each year is if they felt the criticism in their pockets.

23. palinforpresidentofnorthkorea says: Apr 13, 2011 2:41 PM

Support your local High School team. The players are for real.

24. umiami11 says: Apr 13, 2011 2:44 PM

And the Madden Lockout begins

25. drthunder728 says: Apr 13, 2011 2:54 PM

3 weeks or 3 years, I’m not buying this game again until they fix the franchise and/or superstar mode. It’s terrible and has been virtually unchanged for at least 3 or 4 years. Not paying 60$ for a roster update.

26. bigd9484 says: Apr 13, 2011 3:06 PM

I agree with drthunder, how about EA takes the 3 weeks and makes the improvements to franchise and superstar mode it should have been making. How about some more realistic gameplay? As you increase the difficulty, how about the computer gets smarter about trying to defend you instead of having linebackers jump 15 feet in the air to bat down a pass they aren’t looking at? I heard EA is answering antitrust litigation for the exclusive license. There’s one case I am rooting for the plaintiff!

27. tomwill21 says: Apr 13, 2011 3:16 PM

I just played this weekend, they should take the extra 3 weeks and make the tackling better. Gore had 400 yards and 22 broken tackles…

28. Fantasy Football says: Apr 13, 2011 3:17 PM

Video Game Lockout

29. dbellina says: Apr 13, 2011 3:23 PM

Did anyone else get the email about the class action lawsuit against EA? I might just get an extra $10 out of it (to buy another Madden, of course.)

30. thefiesty1 says: Apr 13, 2011 3:28 PM

Good, three more weeks I won’t have to worry about not buying it.

31. dfensfelix says: Apr 13, 2011 3:38 PM

You know what EA spent a lot of their time and energy on with this year’s Madden? Concussions. Every year it’s a gimmick: fight for the fumble, “swagger rating”, create-a-fan, endzone celebrations, etc. Meanwhile, the actual gameplay has gotten soggier and less fluid than it used to be. They’ve forced button assignments down the users’ throats, made the running backs slower (when running backs, in fact, have been getting faster in the NFL), and STILL haven’t fixed the “pinball machine” effect on the football when there’s a deflected or tipped pass. Time to drop the gimmicky bull%&#$ and get back to making the game great again.

32. dgforreal says: Apr 13, 2011 3:41 PM

Hey guys, I was laughing at the ridiculousness of realitypolice’s comments, not agreeing with him.

I’ve worked in the video game industry for the last 11 years and the idea that people should stop gaming at 21 is extremely laughable to me.

RP obviously has done zero research in regards to the target age of games which goes well into the 30′s

As of 2010 the average game player is 35 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.

Most of the people over 21 that play the madden series most likely started playing when they were kids.

So yeah, LOL at the concept that once you hit 21 no more video games. I know people that are in their 50′s that still play and I give them all the props in the world.

33. dolphan23 says: Apr 13, 2011 3:53 PM

If the assumption is that they are concerned with the updates of free agent moves, etc. They have online roster updates that are seamless to access via their online section. Ruining the release date of Madden will virtually upset every awaiting purchaser of this game and truly is starting to annoy the fan base of the NFL. I for one am not pleased with how the direction of this is going.

34. crumpledstiltskin says: Apr 13, 2011 4:03 PM

It was cool to say “video games are only for kids” like a quarter century ago.

Now you just look so out-of-touch that I am surprised you know how to use the Internet to post your ignorant comments.

35. bigd9484 says: Apr 13, 2011 4:10 PM

Totally agree, fight for the fumble was incredibly annoying (other than the fact that because I was on the My Skill difficulty, and all the meters were near the top, so I fumbled every 5 or 6 carries) Bring back training camp so you can improve your players numbers based on those mini games!

36. worstposterever says: Apr 13, 2011 5:23 PM

Who cares? Madden has sucked since 2005.

I think most hardcore football fans have realized that the best and more realistic football experience right now is playing NFL2K5 and downloading updated rosters online.

It’s pretty sad that a game made 6 years ago is the best NFL game on the market, but that’s what happens when you remove competition.

37. jakek2 says: Apr 13, 2011 5:47 PM

EA should make a “Lock-Out” version. In order to un-lock franchise mode, you become either Smith or Goodell and have to negotiate a deal with the other side. Dorky gamers could actually compare their deals with other gamers to see who negotiated the best deal. The game has been the same for 10 years now. This would be a cool collector’s edition if it had this function.

38. dgforreal says: Apr 13, 2011 5:50 PM

I actually worked on these titles and I always love to hear that people enjoy this over Madden. I stopped playing football video games when we stopped making the 2K series.

Was never a big Madden fan. Also worked on the defunct NFL Gameday series as well.

Nothing compares to the 2K series.

39. descendency says: Apr 13, 2011 5:53 PM

Madden isn’t even close to real football so what do they care?

Madden = Sports Center highlights, every play.

40. dgforreal says: Apr 13, 2011 8:41 PM

Honestly I feel like we’re a good 10-15 years away from a true to life football sim. Maybe.

41. dgforreal says: Apr 13, 2011 8:44 PM

I love it. There should also be a mode where you control all players on your team’s roster during various off the field situations.