Matthew Stafford throws 50-yard pass during charity event

New York Jets v Detroit Lions Getty Images

Matthew Stafford felt right at home during halftime of the University of Georgia’s spring football game.

During one part of the school’s charity quarterback challenge, Stafford dropped back and threw a 50-yard bomb with his surgically repaired shoulder.   Stafford’s receiver — a fan who bid to be part of his team — dropped the pass.

It’s a lesson Stafford has learned before: Never throw to anyone except Calvin Johnson.

According the Detroit Free Press, the drop didn’t cost Stafford.  He beat fellow Georgia quarterbacks Eric Zeier, David Greene and D.J. Shockley in a skills challenge by winning two of the three events, including the “tire throw.”

Stafford said his shoulder “felt good” and he didn’t do anything “too crazy.”

“Obviously having surgery is not fun and being out is not fun, but being able to come back as quick as I did has been nice,” Stafford said.

Being able to write a post where a football player throws a football is pretty nice too.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Matthew Stafford throws 50-yard pass during charity event”
  1. MichaelEdits says: Apr 17, 2011 8:41 AM

With all due respect to the other three competitors, I’d want my starting QB to outperform Eric Zeier, David Greene and D.J. Shockley. I haven’t even heard of two of those guys.

I’m not so sure the guys from my team (Carolina) could win this thing. Ugh.

2. beckzhere says: Apr 17, 2011 9:18 AM

Jw731,

Hahahaha, thanks I needed that.

3. dempsey63 says: Apr 17, 2011 9:25 AM

Actually, the fan MADE the catch. He then circled the perimeter of the field and high-fived every one of the spectators in the first row. He took the microphone and thanked Matt Stafford and the event organizers. He then sought out a child in a wheelchair and presented the ball to her.

It almost fell out of her hands and she regained control as the ball touched the turf, but an NFL officiating crew immediately whistled the pass incomplete.

4. burntorangehorn says: Apr 17, 2011 9:28 AM

Thanks for the update on Carter, jw731. I was thinking he was notably absent, and I just assumed he was in jail.

5. garyman1 says: Apr 17, 2011 9:34 AM

When I saw the headline I thought maybe the season had started and the Lions were playing the Packers (that’s usually charity)

6. thesmartest1 says: Apr 17, 2011 9:50 AM

Shocked he didn’t pull something. At least he won.

7. txchief says: Apr 17, 2011 10:07 AM

Sorry Quincy couldn’t come. Was the contest at 4:20?

8. thevikes85 says: Apr 17, 2011 10:08 AM

……………..and injures himself again

9. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: Apr 17, 2011 10:12 AM

Did his shoulder break again after throwing that pass?

10. winstonhussein says: Apr 17, 2011 10:42 AM

With the #3 pick in the 2011 Draft, the Buffalo Bills select: ERIC ZEIER.

11. dstaples89 says: Apr 17, 2011 10:47 AM

garyman1 says:
    Apr 17, 2011 9:34 AM

Wait a minute…didn’t Detroit beat the packers last year? Lol

12. dewalt2990 says: Apr 17, 2011 10:52 AM

Fans everywhere are crossing their fingers Stafford doesnt work out……worried?

13. thefiesty1 says: Apr 17, 2011 11:00 AM

Wow! A 50 yard incompletion. That’s really great. I hope he can continue to do that when the season starts.

14. emmonsh says: Apr 17, 2011 11:26 AM

garyman1 says:Apr 17, 2011 9:34 AM

lol the lions killed gb at the end of the season. had them beat at gb too. lions are one of the best up and coming teams. with the bears sucking and minn. done for the next decade its between gb and detroit.

15. garyman1 says: Apr 17, 2011 12:45 PM

“emmonsh” and “dstaples89d”:
    Fair enough… I grant you that the Lions are an improving team… but 3-17 over the last decade against GB.

16. stevincinci says: Apr 17, 2011 12:51 PM

I would hope he could throw 50 yards,. Especially for 40 million guaranteed.

17. rebuiltsince2010 says: Apr 17, 2011 12:55 PM

Given the fact that we nearly beat GB twice, shouldve beat Chicago twice, and also beat the Viks once …I’m looking forward to actually having a fighting chance in the division this year!

Green Bay is the champs and you have to give them that much credit, but they CAN be beaten

Chicago is not a great team but they hardly suck

Minn. still has talent and is probably a good QB away from being good again but I don’t see them as a threat

I think the NFCN is up for grabs and will be the most entertaining Division in the league this season (if there is a season) and the Leos has just as good a chance as anyone to win it

GO LIONS!!!!!

18. beauregard says: Apr 17, 2011 2:24 PM

The pendulum is swinging in Detroit’s favor.
    They have many pieces in place and gaining the winners attitude. They will challenge the Packer’s strong for the next decade.
    This is why I love the NFL. Bad teams CAN turn things around. There’s hope for any team.