Steve Sabol has found his heaven on earth

Super Bowl XLV - Pro Football Hall of Fame Announces 2011 Class Enshrinees Getty Images

For those of you who have asked for more information about the condition of Steve Sabol, who has been battling in recent weeks a brain tumor, Peter King of Sports Illustrated provides a definitive update at the top of his brand-new Monday Morning Quarterback column.

Sabol doesn’t know whether he’ll make it — he told King he doesn’t want to know — but Sabol knows this:  Whatever is on the other side, whenever he may get there, can’t match his life on earth.

“So they talk about heaven,” Sabol said, “and I don’t know what is waiting for me up there.  But I can tell you this:  Nothing will happen up there that can duplicate my life down here.  Nothing.  That life cannot be better than the one I’ve lived down here, the football life.  It’s been perfect.”

And Sabol’s passion for bringing the game of football to life for fans has now taken a very personal turn.

“For a company that prides itself on telling good stories, this is one hell of a story,” Sabol said.  “I mean, isn’t it?  Dad makes the Hall of Fame.  Son’s going to be his presenter.  Son gets a brain tumor.  Now the story is, Is the son going to be there?  Will the son make it?  What a great story this is going to be, however it turns out.”

Though Sabol hasn’t asked for information on his long-term prognosis, he has asked if he’ll make it to August, when the induction ceremony will be held.  “You’ll make it,” Sabol was told by his doctors.

King also points out that there’s one more thing for which football fans can thank Sabol.  When Mike Mayock of NFL Network and NBC was unhappily working in commercial real estate and pondering a career change that entailed analyzing football, Sabol urged Mayock to go for it.

It’s advice that we all should heed.  If you’re doing something that you don’t like, look for something that makes you happy — regardless of the field.  We’re not suggesting that anyone should shirk their responsibilities in the name of selfishness, but if there’s a way to pay the bills and do something that truly makes you happy to the point at which an eternity of heavenly bliss would be incomplete without it, why would you even think twice about at least giving it a try?

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Steve Sabol has found his heaven on earth”
  1. northeastern31 says: Apr 18, 2011 9:40 AM

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family, Steve. Thanks for sharing your love of football with me.

2. deanvernonwormer says: Apr 18, 2011 9:44 AM

We all take for granted how precious and short life really is. Owners/Players : Be thankful for what you have. Quit whining about what you don’t have. Sit the F down and get this thing done!

3. purpleman527 says: Apr 18, 2011 9:49 AM

There is no comparison between Heaven and this current life on Earth.

Steve Sabol will be in total shock and awe on the day he passes away. So will every human being on the day they pass away.

My prayers go to Mr. Sabol and his family.

4. jw731 says: Apr 18, 2011 9:57 AM

What….. has Dr. Phil taken over this site?

5. str82dvd says: Apr 18, 2011 9:58 AM

Scared the crap out of me with that headline… so much love for this guy, it will suck to lose him.

6. CKL says: Apr 18, 2011 10:01 AM

What a great attitude he has. It’s always come through in everything he does. I’ll be hoping fervently he does conquer this and can be there for his dad.

7. medialovesthecowboys says: Apr 18, 2011 10:09 AM

“Now the story is, Is the son going to be there? Will the son make it?”

Who knows what will happen in the future, but I will say this, there isn’t an NFL personality out there right now that is as respected and well liked as Steve Sabol.

8. xstaticonradio says: Apr 18, 2011 10:09 AM

Well, he’ll be thrilled when he finds out there’s no heaven then

9. BC says: Apr 18, 2011 10:11 AM

I hope the heck he does make it. The guy’s left such a mark on the NFL. Best wishes to him.

10. KIR says: Apr 18, 2011 10:14 AM

His religion doesn’t believe in heaven.

11. brownsfn says: Apr 18, 2011 10:14 AM

Mr. Sabol, you sir are a class act…I wish you the best of luck my friend…You WILL beat this horrible disease…

12. seabreezes51 says: Apr 18, 2011 10:15 AM

I hope he finds some more time. All of us have to die, some too soon. There is nothing to fear in dying, I did it once but it didn’t take. There was no pain, there is no reason to fear it at all.
    If he needs more time, I hope he gets it, but if not I thank him for the good things he nay have done in his life.

13. Kave Krew says: Apr 18, 2011 10:22 AM

Good to hear from Steve.

There is an interesting part in King’s story where Sabol listens to NFL Films music during chemo. If that music doen’t get you ‘game’ ready, then nothing will.

Keep fightin’ Steve, there are more stories to tell…….

14. denverwally says: Apr 18, 2011 10:23 AM

The Sabol family has added value to NFL football that cannot be measuered, but we all have loved their product for decades. The memorable camera angles, super slow motion set to such great music… “The Autumn Wind is a Raider”. I am not a Raiders fan, but that is pure poetry.
    NFL films has successfully created a new and unique art form. Thank you for that Steve. Whatever the future holds for you, Godspeed.

15. deadmanwalking47 says: Apr 18, 2011 10:35 AM

praying really hard for mr sabol! i do not think that we football fans would love the game the way we do had it not been for the sabol family and nfl films!

16. otistaylor89 says: Apr 18, 2011 10:55 AM

They made big mistake by not putting him in the HOF with his father.

17. SpartaChris says: Apr 18, 2011 11:00 AM

Here’s hoping Mr. Sabol has a speedy and full recovery so he too can find himself in the Hall of Fame.

18. thefiesty1 says: Apr 18, 2011 11:12 AM

Good luck Steve. Just think positive thoughts.

19. hobartbaker says: Apr 18, 2011 11:33 AM

Well, it’s nice that Steve enjoyed the story. I guess.

20. mygirlsandme says: Apr 18, 2011 12:29 PM

My prayers are with Steve and his family. His football life and his life on earth will be nothing to him when he is with God in His glory.

21. thephantomstranger says: Apr 18, 2011 12:33 PM

If you don’t need God in this life, you’ll spend an eternity apart from Him.

22. gorilladunk says: Apr 18, 2011 1:44 PM

NFL Films is primarily responsible for the incredible rise in popularity that the league experienced in the 60’s and 70’s. Sure, Rozelle and the others played a part, but the NFL had become a omnipresent art form long before we were bombarded with cable and stellite TV. That is due to the magic that NFL films created. I was thrilled for Ed Sabol when his selection to the hall was announced and I’m saddened to hear of Steve’s problems. They both deserve a happy ending to their own, personal story.

23. PCa Survivor says: Apr 18, 2011 1:52 PM

Thoughts and prayers go out to Steve Sabol and his family. It’s disappointing to see some making this about religion – it is not. You have to experience hearing those words “you’ve got cancer” before you can understand. Mr. Sabol is appreciating life, each and every minute of it. This gives him hope which is simply what every cancer patient needs.

24. schmitty2 says: Apr 18, 2011 3:31 PM

I vote he gets elected to HOF this year!

25. vikesfansteve says: Apr 18, 2011 3:35 PM

Hope it’s not malignant glioma because that is inoperable, it will just grow back immediately. I know 2 people who had that & they were gone in 4 months. Same with Kennedy. If it’s glioma that’s fatal no chance of beating it.

26. pkrlvr says: Apr 18, 2011 5:40 PM

There is no comparison between Heaven and this current life on Earth.

My prayers go to Mr. Sabol and his family.
    ____________________________________

You’re right, there is no comparison because there actually is an earth, whereas heaven is a made up place that no one has ever been to. WAKE UP! Life is here, life is now! Jesus/god is just santa clause for adults. Think about it. When your a kid society tells you to behave or santa will know and not bring you any presents! When you grow up a bit and realize how stupid that is, society (and your parents) replace santa with jesus and tell you the same lame crap. It’s all about control my friend. Think for yourself.

27. airraid77 says: Apr 18, 2011 6:18 PM

Prklvr,
    You have this line b4, correct?
    if i am wrong, I just die, if your wrong? YOU will burn. and never burn out…continual burn.
    Religion kills. relationship (with your god) flourish. Any sincere believers knows that.
    If their is no supreme being and man is in control?
    I am still waiting for the human race to stop its first natural disaster. Or I am waiting for somebody to be indicted for causing it to happen. Then prove how they did it. AL GORE? OH wait they found all that science to be as real as the oil is running out.
    Where is the evolution of man to animal? its been a long time since there has been any real case of this. Miraculously, this science still has no proof.
    I can go on and on and on…
    The only people who believe this leftist/kook fringe crap is bitter/poor and stupid….like the poster I am replying to.

28. purpleman527 says: Apr 18, 2011 8:19 PM

pkrlvr says:

Jesus/god is just santa clause for adults…….

………When you grow up a bit and realize how stupid that is, society (and your parents) replace santa with jesus and tell you the same lame crap. It’s all about control my friend. Think for yourself.
    __________________________________

Actually, my parents are likely on the road to hell. Reading the bible is how I learned about Jesus. No control from anyone other than my own choice.

“If they hate me, they will hate you.”

You could have slammed allah or buddah, but you chose Jesus.

Thanks for the compliment.