Teams expect a lack of draft trades

Top 2010 NFL Draft prospects appear atop the Marquee of Radio City Music Hall for photo call in New York Reuters

The lack of veteran trades (and signings) has made this pre-draft period quieter than usual.   Most team executives expect a similar lack of action during the draft, when only picks can be dealt.

“It’s completely dead out there this year,” a NFC G.M. told Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports! “Nothing!”

While the rookie wage scale uncertainty could be a small factor, another decision maker believes the lack of separation at the top of this draft along with so-so quarterbacks will make teams stay put

“Unless you’re desperate for one of the quarterbacks – and I don’t think anybody is really that desperate this year – I think most teams are looking at the top end of the draft and being patient,” another G.M. told Cole.

Seahawks G.M. John Schneider echoed the point.

“There are going to be some need issues for different teams, but you’re probably not seeing a huge difference in terms of who goes second and who goes sixth,” Schneider said.

So the lockout robbed us of an interesting March, and April’s draft will probably include less action too.  Thanks guys.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
22 Responses to “Teams expect a lack of draft trades”
  1. paulnoga says: Apr 18, 2011 1:50 PM

Some stupid team/teams will let the patriots convince them to give up high picks next year.
    the Raiders tried to convince everyone that getting Seymour was not stupid by signing him to an extension. He will be 32 this year. The Patriots are laughing.

2. profootballwalk says: Apr 18, 2011 1:58 PM

But without free agent signing, teams have to fill need with draft picks. Which means more trades to get the player you need.

3. huskersrock1 says: Apr 18, 2011 2:00 PM

The pats will trade back again this year, get a couple of seconds for next year and rook someone in the process.

4. NoHomeTeam says: Apr 18, 2011 2:02 PM

“Unless you’re desperate for one of the quarterbacks – and I don’t think anybody is really that desperate this year . . . ”

I believe a rather large contingent of purple-clad fans would disagree with this statement.

5. phintasm says: Apr 18, 2011 2:11 PM

paulnoga,

The Seymour trade severely hampered NE’s playoff runs the past two years. The Patriots were undoubtedly weaker along the defensive line the past two years, check out their playoff losses to the Ravens and Jets where they got run all over. Who’s laughing now?

6. goombar2 says: Apr 18, 2011 2:13 PM

Yeah, but the purple folks are also desperate for O-line help, D-line help, Safety help, Wr help, 3rd down Rb help, corner help, a Lber would help, their TE wants to be GM so they need help there, this is the first year their GM will actually make a pick on his own so he needs help…

Man, this is just a desperate franchise.

7. northeastern31 says: Apr 18, 2011 2:13 PM

“Teams expect a lack of draft trades”

Great! As a die hard Pats fan I cant tell you how dissapointing it is to wait the entire first round only to see your team trade back…..and then I wait 4 more picks and they trade back again! LOL

I am not complaining though…I trust in His Imperial Majesty- Bill Belichick

8. northeastern31 says: Apr 18, 2011 2:16 PM

@ phintasm

Seymour didnt holdusback dude….we went 14-2 last season. I am guessing youre a dolPHIN fan…who’s laughing now?

9. ampats says: Apr 18, 2011 2:20 PM

phintasm,

The flaw in your statement is that Seymour was going to be a FA at the end of the 2009 season and wasn’t going to be resigned or franchised which they did with Wilfork. Instead they traded him to Oakland which had to franchise him for 2010 and this season.

As a Patriots fan, I still love the trade and will love it even more on pick 17 next Thursday night.

10. hobartbaker says: Apr 18, 2011 2:22 PM

The trading will happen at the draft, and I think there will be lots of it.

11. munchkin420 says: Apr 18, 2011 2:32 PM

It is not likely that Seymour would have been on the Pats last year; BB was not about to sign him to the kind of money Big Sey was expecting.
    He could have helped the D-line two years ago but he was not the missing link for a SB run. The team needs to find a way to get more pressure on the QB. With Bodden coming back and an improving McCourtey their DB depth should be solid enough to protect the secondary if they can generate some pressure up front.

12. farmmbig says: Apr 18, 2011 2:34 PM

This would have upset me a couple years ago when I actually watched the draft because it was a great WEEKEND event.

But ever since Goodell wrecked it, I don’t really care.

13. ztvmid says: Apr 18, 2011 2:45 PM

ampat,

the fact that the pats did well in the reg season doesn’t mean anything if they don’t perform well in the postseason…2007 sb run ruined by the giants…nice..

14. clear2me says: Apr 18, 2011 3:04 PM

Hey goom, who exactly is this Vikings GM that you’re talking about? Just to keep you to date, they don’t have a GM. When you’re throwing out your insults at least try to get your facts right, not that there was anything really factual in your post, just your biased opinions.

15. oldbyrd says: Apr 18, 2011 3:05 PM

This is why I have and will continue to say…..THE UNIONS SCREW UP EVERYTHING. THEY ARE THE GATEWAY TO COMMUNISM. The players don’t own jack sh– but they want . Try telling your boss the crap that Maurice what ever his name is telling and see where you end up. This is what football is about. The trades etc. kiss it good bye.

16. geemoney713 says: Apr 18, 2011 3:11 PM

But ever since Goodell wrecked it, I don’t really care.

______________________

Goodell wrecks everything.

17. skoobyfl says: Apr 18, 2011 3:45 PM

I’d keep the camera’s rolling on the Pats, they have everyone’s draftboard filmed for accuracy.

18. myeaglescantwin says: Apr 18, 2011 3:48 PM

when this thing finally concludes. its gonna be a $h!t show. arent there close to 400 FA out there? no to mention all of the UFA’s.. teams are gonna look so different once moves are made.

19. airraid77 says: Apr 18, 2011 3:59 PM

400 free agents, of which maybe thirty will be relevant next year, 250 of which will be out of work after next year…….
    to me its going to be more interesting if we have another uncapped and no tags…so team like that in the purple would have to scramble to keep even their franchise player…….
    cause I do believe you could have an uncapped year in which their would be no tags as a concession by the owners…..

20. thefiesty1 says: Apr 18, 2011 4:32 PM

Silence is golden. There will be some stupid team trading away good players when they think someone else is going to take their top of their draft board. Part of the problem with the lack of trade talks is most teams don’t have anyone worth trading that someone else wants.

21. bonecity7 says: Apr 18, 2011 5:02 PM

northeastern31 says:
    Apr 18, 2011 2:13 PM
    “Teams expect a lack of draft trades”

I am not complaining though…I trust in His Imperial Majesty- Bill Belichick

Northeast,

I’m with you……thumbs down or not, I’d be pumped if Belichick had to use his 3 picks in the first 33!! Two DL/OLB and an OL in the first 33 and we’d be loaded……no need to trade down in a draft that is heavy in what you need!!!

22. bonecity7 says: Apr 18, 2011 5:09 PM

ztvmid says:
    Apr 18, 2011 2:45 PM
    ampat,

————————————————–
    There is an inherent flaw in your thinking, ztvmid!!

Harken back to 2007 if you will…..for FOUR MONTHS our team didn’t lose a game!! For FOUR MONTHS things in the northeast were AWESOME!!!! We didn’t win the big one…..yup, it hurt……perfect season…..no dice!! But no matter how badly you sorry bastards want to pretend that there was no positives to that season…..you’re WRONG!!! Sox, World Champions in 2007 (October/November); Pats 4 months of perfection…………that’s a five month period that YOU will likely NEVER experience…we’re allright with it…time for you all to get over it!!!