Dolphins put Andy Dalton to the test

Rose Bowl Game - Wisconsin v TCU Getty Images

In an excellent article from Peter King of Sports Illustrated regarding the challenges and dynamics of drafting and developing quarterbacks, King shares some intriguing information about Andy Dalton’s experiences with the Dolphins.

For starters, the Dolphins sent Dalton a portion of their playbook on Thursday, March 31, in advance of a Sunday, April 3 meeting.  It contained more than 100 formations, with motions and shifts and protections, along with pass route trees.

They wanted him to know it cold by Sunday morning at 10:00 a.m.  But he was meeting with the Cowboys all day Friday and he had to attend a rehearsal dinner for a friend’s wedding on Friday night and the wedding on Saturday night.  So Dalton got up early on Saturday and studied the playbook all day.  On Sunday, he continued to review it during the one-hour trip to campus, while his girlfriend drove.

Dalton said he believes he “aced” the tests.

But then the Dolphins exposed Dalton to another type of test, with offensive coordinator Brian Daboll pretending to be a disgruntled receiver who wasn’t getting the ball as much as he’d like.  (We’re not sure why the Fins would be worried about that; they have no one on the roster who fits that description.  Eye roll.)

“He was yelling at me pretty loud about not getting the ball,” Dalton told King. “I said, ‘I’ll take a look at that. . . .  All right, all right!’  I don’t think I handled that too well, but I know I can when it happens.  But the situation was a little weird.”

Dez Bryant would tell Dalton that it could have been even weirder.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Dolphins put Andy Dalton to the test”
  1. briz0519 says: Apr 19, 2011 6:25 PM

As a Dolphins fan, I’m not sure why people keep ganging up on Brandon Marshall about being such a diva, particularly after last season. He had a mediocre at best QB throwing to him all season, and he didn’t complain that much at all, and he had the right to, in my opinion. If you follow him on Twitter, you’ll see he’s really not the diva that he’s portrayed (at least not anymore).

2. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Apr 19, 2011 6:25 PM

“He was yelling at me pretty loud about not getting the ball,” Dalton told King. “I said, ‘I’ll take a look at that. . . . All right, all right!’

Two possible answers.
    A) We’ll go to the video tape
    B) If you wanted the ball EVERY play you should have been a QB.

3. zeckwreck says: Apr 19, 2011 6:29 PM

What an odd thing to do…I wonder if the O-Coordinator for the Steelers wishes he had dressed up as a drunk co-ed (w/ wig and all) in order to test Big Ben before he was drafted. Now THAT would have been tough on him.

4. seabreezes51 says: Apr 19, 2011 6:35 PM

They could make a deal with the Eagles, say, a second round pick that they make for the Eagles and Mike Kafka goes to the Dolphins when the CBA is agreed to.

5. mytina says: Apr 19, 2011 6:47 PM

And, in true Dumbfin fashion, Daboll then called Dalton’s mother a hooker….

6. nookers says: Apr 19, 2011 6:57 PM

Yeah and who did Cris Carter and Randy Moss have throwing to them? Dante? BAHAHAHAHA

7. ampats says: Apr 19, 2011 6:57 PM

seabreezes,

put down the bottle and the rose colored glasses. Mike Kafka for a 2nd round pick?

Now that’s funny!

8. 1dolphinsfan says: Apr 19, 2011 7:00 PM

briz0519 says:
    Apr 19, 2011 6:25 PM

Agreed with Briz0519-
    Marshall is, who we thought he us… Sorry, had to do it.. As a FIN Fan who’s last seen them in a bowl at the tender age of 12- I want someone with Marshall’s enthusiasim.. Was, I upset that some antics carried over to our team (Kicking Balls .. Blah, Blah) this season?? At times.. Did it suprise me?? Heck No .. He wants the Ball- Let’s get him the Ball.. Had we been his Diva Way, but scored 14 TD’s and 1400 Yards.. No one would say word.. Let’s get Mallet, sign an interior AND DO the damn thing!!! Opening weekend- Pat’s .. No room for fail .. Instead of Mini-Camp.. Send them to Marine Boot Camp- Grnteed 12 wins .. God Bless the Vets-

9. whatswiththehate says: Apr 19, 2011 7:46 PM

zeckwreck says:
    Apr 19, 2011 6:29 PM

———————–
    Are u really trying to show how ridiculous this year’s draft has gotten…lmbo

This is my first time following the draft and DAMN sure my last. I’m seriously wondering if these fools in the sports media r running the NFL behind the scenes with the level of foolery going in order to keep their jobs.

10. mistrezzrachael says: Apr 19, 2011 7:53 PM

Sorry guys…but Ross has ruined that franchise..and will get worse.

As much as I like Sparano..he has no shot there to succeed..

Thats all they need…MALLET and South Beach…No women, booze, drugs or trouble…ruins their team.

11. Patskrieg dot com says: Apr 19, 2011 7:59 PM

Get to the point, did they find out if his mother was a prostitute? Or do they only save that part of the questionare for special occasions?

12. bsizemore68 says: Apr 19, 2011 11:10 PM

What they did was to place some stress on him, and see how he handled the unexpected, had nothing to do with the wide receiver, and as far as the stupid question about the players mother, its time some people grow up and let it rest. Bill

13. doe22us says: Apr 19, 2011 11:50 PM

Brian Dabol is the most conservative play caller this side of the planet Earth good luck Fins

14. ninerfaithful says: Apr 20, 2011 11:49 AM

Dude the Dolphins are F@#$%#in weird

15. dieharddolfan6493 says: Apr 20, 2011 4:45 PM

lol i wonder what comes to mind when Andy Dalton thinks about the Dolphins “The team with the OC that pretends to be Brandon Marshall”